[peter365] Lateral Forward Thinking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2011 » [peter365] Lateral Forward Thinking « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3425
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning puzzle pickers

To my mind he was way ahead of his time

Please explain
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He = HAM?
Alive at the time of this puzzle?
Alive now?

Time period relevant?
His profession relevant?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have an idea that was innovative?
* technical / scientific?
* philosophical / political?

Did he arrive for his appointment beforehand?

Did he finish a race much sooner than expected?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3426
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He = HAM? Yes
Alive at the time of this puzzle? Yes
Alive now? No

Time period relevant? Yes
His profession relevant? Yes
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He = HAM? Yes
Alive at the time of this puzzle? Yes
Alive now? No

Time period relevant? Yes
His profession relevant? Yes
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have an idea that was innovative? Not in the slightest
* technical / scientific? Technical but he was completely unaware of it.
* philosophical / political?

Did he arrive for his appointment beforehand? No nothing like that

Did he finish a race much sooner than expected? Nor this.

This puzzle has to do with innovation but I should warn you that it bears the slightly silly label
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13821
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he invent something? Create something? Build something?

Is there a pun involved? On any of the words in the puzzle statement?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3429
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he invent something? In my mind yes in reality no Create something? Yes in reality Build something? Yes in reality

Is there a pun involved? Not a pun but a loose interpretation of a word On any of the words in the puzzle statement? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13833
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing he built -- is the material used relevant? Legos?
Jacek (Jacek)
Username: Jacek

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure how to understand the statement that he was alive at the time of this puzzle. Does it mean he was alive when you learned about him? Or just that he was alive when he did something? (which is kind of obvious) Did he live in the 20th century?
Jacek (Jacek)
Username: Jacek

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think he was ahead of his time because you didn't know that the thing he built has already been invented by someone else before him?

Sorry for double-posting, but I thought about this two seconds after I submited the first post.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

The thing he built -- is the material used relevant? Legos? Well he built or created many things and one of the materials used is relevant

Jacek

I'm not sure how to understand the statement that he was alive at the time of this puzzle. Does it mean he was alive when you learned about him? Or just that he was alive when he did something? (which is kind of obvious) Did he live in the 20th century? I'm glad you asked this because rather than answer that question I should have asked it's meaning. This man is dead and was dead long before this puzzle occured to me. However as you say he was alive during the period the puzzle is set which I agree is pretty obvious.

Also a big welcome to the forum . It's fun here

Did you think he was ahead of his time because you didn't know that the thing he built has already been invented by someone else before him? No and you are making an FA (False Assumption)

Sorry for double-posting, but I thought about this two seconds after I submited the first post.Not at all the more questions the merrier.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13842
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he build out of an unorthodox material? Something common?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, clearly I need to post some puzzles about zombies or something, because everyone seems to think it's SOOOOO obvious that someone must be alive at the time a relevant action takes place or not have died at some point during the puzzle.

And YES, I meant those two questions to differentiate between "alive now" versus "was ever alive". Though actually, someone could be credited after their death...so...Yeah, I'm totally not crazy. Really.

While you stated he "Created" or "built" something - Is that what you are referring to in the puzzle statement?
Or some yet to be determined way he was ahead of his time?

Did he build something that did not work?
Because a later invention/discovery was needed?

Did he use a new material?
A known material in a new way?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he build out of an unorthodox material? Something common? pretty common
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, clearly I need to post some puzzles about zombies or something, because everyone seems to think it's SOOOOO obvious that someone must be alive at the time a relevant action takes place or not have died at some point during the puzzle.

And YES, I meant those two questions to differentiate between "alive now" versus "was ever alive". Though actually, someone could be credited after their death...so...Yeah, I'm totally not crazy. Really. Aha if you listen carefully you'll hear the sound of a penny dropping

While you stated he "Created" or "built" something - Is that what you are referring to in the puzzle statement? No the materials he used ultimately lead me in a strange way to believe he was forward thinking and way ahead of his time but what he actually made was not out of the ordinary or visionary

Or some yet to be determined way he was ahead of his time? Yes but remember he is only ahead of his time in my little world where the grass is blue and the sky is green

Did he build something that did not work? Actually he did build something that didn't work but built many other things that did
Because a later invention/discovery was needed? but not for this reason

Did he use a new material? No
A known material in a new way? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13850
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, but have you not heard of Kentucky -- "The Bluegrass State"?

Was it the something that didn't work that we should be figuring out?
Sapir (Sapir)
Username: Sapir

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he build from a material produced by living things such as with bone, antler, ivory, chalk, coral, or other material along these lines?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, but have you not heard of Kentucky -- "The Bluegrass State"? This might explain my love of horse racing and fried chicken

Was it the something that didn't work that we should be figuring out? Not really but doing so would be one way of finding out who this man was which will go a long way to assisting you with solving
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he build from a material produced by living things such as with bone, antler, ivory, chalk, coral, or other material along these lines? Nothing like this
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he use a metal? Steel? Iron? Did he use wood? Stone?

Did he live in antiquity? Middle Ages? Later?

Was only one of the many things he made that made you think of him this way? More than one thing?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he use a metal? mainly this Steel? With some of this I'm sure Iron? And probably a healthy dollop of this too Did he use wood? Maybe not sure Stone? Ditto.

There's one more material that is most relevant

Did he live in antiquity? Middle Ages? Later? Later

Was only one of the many things he made that made you think of him this way? More than one thing? Something about the things he made in general. Maybe we should go into more routine questions to establish his identity
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13884
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a scientist? An architect? A bridge-builder? (Is there a word for that?)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13886
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, did you notice the puzzle in Limbo that's been solved?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a scientist? No An architect? No A bridge-builder? (Is there a word for that?) Not sure if there's a word for this but he didn't build bridges in any case although in another sense you could say he did
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 837
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he also use glass? plastic? rubber?

was his profession in politics? sport? the arts? business? manufacture?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he also use glass? plastic? rubber? I'd say it's possible he used all of these things but can't be 100% sure. None of them is the very relevant material

was his profession in politics? sport? the arts? business? Yes manufacture? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13894
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he create an actual object? A process of doing something?

Relevant material -- paper? Fabric?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he create an actual object? Well he manufactured many things and no one thing is particularly relevant other than one of the many materials that he used

A process of doing something? No

Relevant material -- paper? Fabric? Neither
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the material organic? mineral? synthetic?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the material organic? mineral? synthetic? I guess it's synthetic. When I saw material I mean a raw material and not like a cloth or anything like that just in case I was confusing anyone.

Concentrate on the man . Very few of the basic identity questions have been asked yet
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13913
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the man an inventor? Was his job involved in:
Artistic? Musical?
Agriculture? Hunter? Fisherman?
Banking? Financial? Real estate?
Clerical? Administrative? Receptionist?
Computer related? Hardware? Information technology?
Construction? Craftsman?
Criminal? Jailbird?
Education? Academic Research?
Entertainment? Media?
Executive? Management?
Hospitality? Travel? Food Service?
Law enforcement? Police?
Legal Services?
Manufacturing? Distributions?
Medical? Health Services?
Politics? Government? Military?
Sales? Marketing? Tradesman?
Religion?
Retired person? Occupational disease?
Sports?
Student? Trainee?
Teaching? Child care?
Technical? Science? Engineering?
Transportation?
Unemployed?
Writer? Editor? Translator? Interpreter?
Other?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3446
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the man an inventor? Was his job involved in:
Artistic? Musical?
Agriculture? Hunter? Fisherman?
Banking? Financial? Real estate?
Clerical? Administrative? Receptionist?
Computer related? Hardware? Information technology?
Construction? Craftsman?
Criminal? Jailbird?
Education? Academic Research?
Entertainment? Media?
Executive? Management?
Hospitality? Travel? Food Service?
Law enforcement? Police?
Legal Services?
Manufacturing? This Distributions? And I suppose this
Medical? Health Services?
Politics? A very small element of this Government? Military? This is relevant although he himself was not in the military
Sales? Marketing? Tradesman?
Religion?
Retired person? Occupational disease?
Sports?
Student? Trainee?
Teaching? Child care?
Technical? Science? Engineering?
Transportation?
Unemployed?
Writer? Editor? Translator? Interpreter?
Other?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he manufacture military supplies? weapons? vehicles?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he manufacture military supplies? Yes weapons? Yes vehicles? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13923
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he create a "prototype" of a more modern weapon?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he create a "prototype" of a more modern weapon? No, remember that nothing he manufactured was particularly innovative
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 864
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he the first to start using the relevant material in a particular weapon?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he just think about doing something differently?

or wa he not thinking and made a mistake?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3449
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he the first to start using the relevant material in a particular weapon? No

did he just think about doing something differently?

or wa he not thinking and made a mistake? No to these as well
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weapons: Rifles? Bombs? Rockets? Airplanes? Tanks? Artillery?

Did you think that he was ahead of this time because later the material that he used was commonly used in that kind of weapons?

Ceramics relevant? (as used as armour, e.g. Chobham)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3452
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weapons: Rifles? Bombs? Yope Rockets? Airplanes? Tanks? Artillery? They would definitely be used by the artillery

Did you think that he was ahead of this time because later the material that he used was commonly used in that kind of weapons? No, the forward thinking bit only arises in my mind because he used a certain material. He was not or is not regarded as being particularly forward thinking.

Ceramics relevant? Not sure of the definition but on the right track (as used as armour, e.g. Chobham)? But not Chobham
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3453
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weapons: Rifles? Bombs? Yope Rockets? Airplanes? Tanks? Artillery? They would definitely be used by the artillery

Did you think that he was ahead of this time because later the material that he used was commonly used in that kind of weapons? No, the forward thinking bit only arises in my mind because he used a certain material. He was not or is not regarded as being particularly forward thinking.

Ceramics relevant? Not sure of the definition but on the right track (as used as armour, e.g. Chobham)? But not Chobham
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

teacups?

shells? bullets? fuses? some part of the firing device? bazookas?

is the material that he used the same as we would know it now? or is the name the same or similar but the material itself is now changed? or completely different?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3455
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

teacups?

shells? This or more specifically shell casings bullets? fuses? some part of the firing device? bazookas?

is the material that he used the same as we would know it now? Yes or is the name the same or similar but the material itself is now changed? or completely different? No to these

You should be well on the way to identifying who this man is
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13947
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he made cartridges?
The special thing about his cartridges -- were they self-contained? Pin-fired? Metal?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he make the casings reusable? bio-degradable?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he made cartridges? Well shell casings amongst other things
The special thing about his cartridges -- were they self-contained? Pin-fired? Metal? An FA is lurking here . There was nothing at all special in the shells casings he made other than a lot of them didn't work. You don't need to know anything else about the shell casings but they will help you identify the man himself

Major Hint : Ask yourself "Who is famous for making defective shell casings during World War II?" Altough the man himself is famous for a lot more than that
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3457
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he make the casings reusable? No unusable in a lot of cases bio-degradable? No

See my hint above
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13950
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he make a lot of other defective stuff?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oskar Schindler?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Your hint cracks me up. Oddly enough, I don't know anyone famous for making defective ammunition during any war. Maybe that's just me...
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he make a lot of other defective stuff? Not that I'm aware of

Oskar Schindler? By George she's got it.

P.S. Your hint cracks me up. Oddly enough, I don't know anyone famous for making defective ammunition during any war. Maybe that's just me...All evidence to the contrary

Ok now that we've got this far perhaps you'll come a little further. While watching Schindler's List with my wife recently I said to Sheila "You know not only was he a great man who saved many lives, but he was way of ahead of his time too" Now why do you think I said that? Bear in mind the answer is somewhat silly because what I said was basically an attempt at humour.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13956
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he intentionally make the cartridges defective? So the Nazis couldn't use them?

I've never seen Schindler's List -- I take it I should add this to my Peter365-Recommended List?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he intentionally make the cartridges defective? So the Nazis couldn't use them? Yes he did but that is no longer really relevant. That was relevant to help you identify Oskar Schindler. We still need to identify the relevant material . A quick sneak at his wiki entry will give you all you need

I've never seen Schindler's List -- I take it I should add this to my Peter365-Recommended List? Oh my goodness yes. But it's a very very very disturbing film.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*laughs* I would hardly say Schindler is famous for his manufacturing efforts. Oddly, I've seen Schindler's List and looked at his wiki entry to check the spelling of his name...and I still have no idea what we're looking for here.

SOmething about ceramics?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the material enamel?

was he ahead of his time in introducing elements of care for his workers, allowing them to pray etc?

employing women and disabled people?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3461
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vesica

*laughs* I would hardly say Schindler is famous for his manufacturing efforts. Oddly, I've seen Schindler's List and looked at his wiki entry to check the spelling of his name...and I still have no idea what we're looking for here. All will be revealed ... I should have made it clearer that he's more famous for something other than making defective shells

Something about ceramics? Sort of see below

Shez

is the material enamel? Yes, this is very relevant

was he ahead of his time in introducing elements of care for his workers, allowing them to pray etc? Nothing like this , remember he was ahead of his time in a jokey way

employing women and disabled people? Not this either
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 888
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

something to do with teeth?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

something to do with teeth? I'm afraid not
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what kind of enamel items he produced?
where he got the raw materials from?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what kind of enamel items he produced? No only that he used enamel
where he got the raw materials from? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3469
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap

Activity has died a bit on this so I'll post a recap.

While watching Schindlers list with my wife recently I made the comment that not only was Oskar Schindler a great and compassionate man but he was also way ahead of his time or was very forward thinking. This forward thinking is in the area of technology.

My comment was an attempt at humour and all that is relevant about Schindler is that enamel was used as a raw material in his factories.

A quick read of Schindler's wiki page should give you everything you need. You could solve it by watching the movie but you'd have to be pretty eagle eyed
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what enamel is used for?
From which raw materials it is made?
Any of its physical properties?
The origin of the word "enamel"?
Some phonetic equivalents of "enamel"? (though I cannot think of any)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what enamel is used for? No
From which raw materials it is made? No
Any of its physical properties? No
The origin of the word "enamel"? No but on the right track
Some phonetic equivalents of "enamel"? (though I cannot think of any) You're skating around the solution but it's not this. Think location
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That it was in Poland?
Krakow?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That the initials of it's long Polish name were DEF?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3475
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That it was in Poland? Not really
Krakow? Irrelevant

That the initials of it's long Polish name were DEF? Well done this is the key to the puzzle . Just ask yourself what those letters stand for and why that might make Schindler forward thinking (in a jocular sense)
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only usage I know of "def" is in slang...
Unless that's relevant, I'm stuck.
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The word (or one of the words) for "enamel" in German (and in French) is "email". Has this anything to do with anything?

In passing, I might mention that many of what USians call elevators and we call lifts are nowadays manufactured by the Schindler Group (founded in Switzerland in 1874, and having not very much at all to do with Oskar Schindler). Hence, it is close to impossible to board an elevator without some reference being made by some wag to "Schindler's Lift". Well it was said by the bard:

The American's a hustler, for he says so,
And surely the American must know.
He will prove to you with figures why it pays so
Beginning with his boyhood long ago.
When the slow-maturing anecdote is ripest,
He'll dictate it like a Board of Trade Report,
And because he has no time to call a typist,
He calls her a Stenographer for short.

He is never known to loiter or malinger,
He rushes, for he knows he has "a date" ;
He is always on the spot and full of ginger,
Which is why he is invariably late.
When he guesses that it's getting even later,
His vocabulary's vehement and swift,
And he yells for what he calls an Elevator,
A slang abbreviation for a lift.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3477
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only usage I know of "def" is in slang...
Unless that's relevant, I'm stuck. No but help has arrived underneath

The word (or one of the words) for "enamel" in German (and in French) is "email". Has this anything to do with anything? Exactly . Well done woubit

In passing, I might mention that many of what USians call elevators and we call lifts are nowadays manufactured by the Schindler Group (founded in Switzerland in 1874, and having not very much at all to do with Oskar Schindler). Hence, it is close to impossible to board an elevator without some reference being made by some wag to "Schindler's Lift". Well it was said by the bard:

The American's a hustler, for he says so,
And surely the American must know.
He will prove to you with figures why it pays so
Beginning with his boyhood long ago.
When the slow-maturing anecdote is ripest,
He'll dictate it like a Board of Trade Report,
And because he has no time to call a typist,
He calls her a Stenographer for short.

He is never known to loiter or malinger,
He rushes, for he knows he has "a date" ;
He is always on the spot and full of ginger,
Which is why he is invariably late.
When he guesses that it's getting even later,
His vocabulary's vehement and swift,
And he yells for what he calls an Elevator,
A slang abbreviation for a lift.

*************Spoiler****************

Oskar Schindler's factory in Krakow was called Deutsche Emailwaren Fabrik which translates as German Enamelware Factory (some wiki pages have a double L in Emailwaren). There are several shots of the factory name in the movie and I simply commented that not only was Schindler a great humanitarian but was also way ahead of his time as his factory had E-mail in 1944.

Silly joke I know but that's the way my mind works.

The lifts in my work are made by the Schindler company. You regularly hear comments like "Are you taking the stairs or the Liam Neeson" or "I'll be back in 5 I'm just going up to the 5th floor on the oskar"

Thanks for playing everybody and my gratitude to woubit for putting this silly little puzzle out of it's misery
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that's about as close to being a pun as you can get without actually being a pun
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2011 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*groan* That totally gets tossed in the slop bucket with puns for me. OY. That's a terrible joke.

Also, I don't think I've ever noted a lift made by the Schindler group. Otis, yes. Perhaps they aren't as common in the US.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Vesica but i find that terrible jokes make for better puzzles.

Will try and think of a non pun based puzzle for you.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was 99% teasing. It was a fun puzzle but I'm grateful for the team effort since I would never have reached the solution. And it's still a BAaaaaad joke. :P
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry I knew you were teasing .It's a shame though because bad jokes are one of the few things I'm good at ;O)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: