[Balin] The battle for supremacy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [Balin] The battle for supremacy « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13854
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that's the standard, it's clear which of the ancients is greater.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ancients...Stargate Atlantis relevant? Though you wrote it with a lowercase a, so perhaps not.

ancient...mythology relevant? gods/goddesses? wizards? heroes? mythological creatures?

literature relevant?

plays?

"that": any of the above? a famous written work?

dating from the days of the Roman Empire? earlier? later?
Jacek (Jacek)
Username: Jacek

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are ancient rulers relevant? Roman? Emperors? Greek?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philosophers?
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG, Kaylee! You and I would so be TV friends. Loves me some Atlantis, even though it was sort of a terrible show.

Actual history revelant?
Any relevant individuals here?
Or more a relevant group of humans?

Ancient Wonders of the world relevant?
Metal working?
Building?
Social practices?

Post Number: 3841
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John is the pretty. *cuddles Sheppard* Me loves him, Vesica kitteh ^_^ and me loves Rodney's accent, and Zelenka is funny =D *remembers when he recapped "Rising" all in Czech*
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, now I know we would get along great. You can have Shep. I'm keeping Rodney and Zelenka. I do love the nerdboys and cranky geniuses. *totally lurves that part of "Rising" too*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13860
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ancients...Stargate Atlantis relevant? Though you wrote it with a lowercase a, so perhaps not. Nope

ancient...mythology relevant? gods/goddesses? Yope/Yesish wizards? heroes? mythological creatures? No to rest

literature relevant? No

plays? No

"that": any of the above? No a famous written work? No, oh so slight -ish dating from the days of the Roman Empire? earlier? later?

Are ancient rulers relevant? No, but OTRT Roman? Emperors? Greek? No to these

Philosophers? No

Actual history revelant? No
Any relevant individuals here? Yope/Noish
Or more a relevant group of humans? No

Ancient Wonders of the world relevant?
Metal working?
Building?
Social practices? No to all
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a scrund involved?

Does "greatness" of the ancients refer to:

Their ideas?
Their achievements?
Military victories?
Powers? (of gods? or heroes like Hercules?)
Size of their bodies or body parts?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13881
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a scrund involved? No

Does "greatness" of the ancients refer to:

Their ideas?
Their achievements?
Military victories?
Powers? (of gods? or heroes like Hercules?)
Size of their bodies or body parts? None of these
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "ancients" in the puzzle's statement ancient people at all? Maybe states? Cities? Works of art? Religions? Prophets?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is more than one type of mythos relevant here?
One being compared to another?
Or all of them being compared?
Lead god/goddess relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13888
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "ancients" in the puzzle's statement ancient people at all? Maybe states? This, although I'm not sure if "states" is the right word. "Nations," maybe, or "people-groups." Cities? Works of art? Religions? Prophets?

Is more than one type of mythos relevant here?
One being compared to another?
Or all of them being compared? There are 2 nations/people-groups relevant. Possible FA to all of these
Lead god/goddess relevant? No
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following among the 2 relevant groups?

Egyptians
Greeks (Athenians? Spartans?)
Romans
Babylonians
Chinese
Sumerian
Phoenicians
Jews
Hittites
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are either of the groups real, historical groups?
Or are they fictional?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13892
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following among the 2 relevant groups?

Egyptians This is one of them, but none of the others are, well, the other.
Greeks (Athenians? Spartans?)
Romans
Babylonians
Chinese
Sumerian
Phoenicians
Jews
Hittites

Are either of the groups real, historical groups?
Or are they fictional? The groups are both real...
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We got a yes-ish to "Gods/Goddesses"...
Um, fictional rulers of the real groups?
figures from folklore?

Is the "other" group a specific national/regional group?
Or something general like "Non-Egyptians"?
Is the other group one that existed at the same time as the Egyptians?

Hey wait - are we talking about the ancient Egyptians?
Or, like, anyone living in Egypt now?
Or anyone of Egyptian descent?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing ancient... theoretically, the only real Egyptians were ancient, since people living in Egypt now are Arabs. But let's see what Balin answers to this one.

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would "Hebrews" be more correct, than, say, Jews?

Biblical Exodus relevant? That period of time in Egypt?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who was greater, the Egyptians or the other group?

Where they Cretans? (Minoians?) Nubians? Libyans? Japanese? Assyrians?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it Egyptians compared with the rest of the world?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13893
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We got a yes-ish to "Gods/Goddesses"...
Um, fictional Yes rulers of the real groups? No
figures from folklore? No

Is the "other" group a specific national/regional group? Yes
Or something general like "Non-Egyptians"? No
Is the other group one that existed at the same time as the Egyptians? Not during the period where the Egyptians...had the most clout, so to say.

Hey wait - are we talking about the ancient Egyptians? Yes -- No to rest
Or, like, anyone living in Egypt now?
Or anyone of Egyptian descent?

Would "Hebrews" be more correct, than, say, Jews? Irrel, since that's not the group in question

Biblical Exodus relevant? That period of time in Egypt? Neither

Who was greater, the Egyptians or the other group? According to my standard? The Egyptians.

Where they Cretans? (Minoians?) Nubians? Libyans? Japanese? Assyrians? None of these

is it Egyptians compared with the rest of the world? No
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 820
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can the standard be expressed in numbers? If so, is the standard an area? a population?
Is the standard connected with gods/goddesses?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

theoretically, the only real Egyptians were ancient, since people living in Egypt now are Arabs.
What on earth are you talking about??
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Fictional" Gods/Goddesses as in they are drawn from a fictional source, not actual history about the groups?
Or fictional in the sense of "The gods aren't real like I am" fictional?

Sorry, it's pretty easy to get confused since some folks would call all major world religions, past and present - "fictional" rather than the more appropriate "Mythological".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13899
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Fictional" Gods/Goddesses as in they are drawn from a fictional source, not actual history about the groups? This one
Or fictional in the sense of "The gods aren't real like I am" fictional?

Sorry, it's pretty easy to get confused since some folks would call all major world religions, past and present - "fictional" rather than the more appropriate "Mythological". Good point. Either way, the two relevant gods (hint) are fictional.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 844
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought they were godesses? are we comparing a god from one group with a goddess from another?

these gods - were they living gods like the pharaohs good grief - I've never had to write that down before and it really doesn't look right or more like Os and Osiris?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13903
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought they were godesses? are we comparing a god from one group with a goddess from another? No, both are fictional gods, from a source related to the "standard" of the puzzle statement. And the source is from 2011.

these gods - were they living gods like the pharaohs good grief - I've never had to write that down before and it really doesn't look right or more like Os and Osiris? The latter
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the 2011 source:
American?
A book?
A film? Thor? A TV show? True Blood?
A comic book?
Is the other culture Old Norse? (not sctrictly ancient, but...)

Vesica, I didn't mean to offend anyone ore start a historical/national/racist (?!) debate. I was just referring to the fact that the Arabs invaded Egypt in 7th century and afterwards destroyed what (little) was left of the Ancient Egyptian (Kemet) culture. They assimilated the local population, and people living today in Egypt ARE biological descendants of the Ancient Egyptians (but also of Arabs from the Arabian Penninsula, Greeks, Romans and many others). However, they do not continue the Ancient Egyptian language or culture (It's pretty much like with Prussians living in East Prussia until 1945, who were in fact not Prussians, but Germans, who took over Old Prussian land and its name). The only living cultural and linguistical descendants of Ancient Egyptians are the Copts, and this (and only this) is what I was talking about.
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I forgot to include this question:

Does the standard promoted by the 2011 source distort the historical (or mythological) truth? Does it defy common sense in any way? Would you call the standard silly? Not serious? Misleading?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13906
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the 2011 source:
American? Yes -- No to rest
A book?
A film? Thor? A TV show? True Blood?
A comic book?
Is the other culture Old Norse? (not sctrictly ancient, but...)

Vesica, I didn't mean to offend anyone ore start a historical/national/racist (?!) debate. I was just referring to the fact that the Arabs invaded Egypt in 7th century and afterwards destroyed what (little) was left of the Ancient Egyptian (Kemet) culture. They assimilated the local population, and people living today in Egypt ARE biological descendants of the Ancient Egyptians (but also of Arabs from the Arabian Penninsula, Greeks, Romans and many others). However, they do not continue the Ancient Egyptian language or culture (It's pretty much like with Prussians living in East Prussia until 1945, who were in fact not Prussians, but Germans, who took over Old Prussian land and its name). The only living cultural and linguistical descendants of Ancient Egyptians are the Copts, and this (and only this) is what I was talking about. Didn't know that -- thanks for the history lesson

Does the standard promoted by the 2011 source distort the historical (or mythological) truth? Not really -- see below Does it defy common sense in any way? Not sure how to answer this
Would you call the standard silly? Absolutely Not serious? Most certainly Misleading? Not really
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I see, Jacek. No offense taken. I was just very very confused since Egypt was invaded/overtaken many many times before their "Kingdoms" even ended so it seemed a little baffling to consider one group of "Egyptians" as more true than others. But I do see your point re: the loss of culture. I was not aware of that later history. HOORAY learning. Now back to the puzzle before I make Balin cross blathering on about history. :D

The source:
Something on the Internet?
Is it a joke?
XKCD relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13911
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I see, Jacek. No offense taken. I was just very very confused since Egypt was invaded/overtaken many many times before their "Kingdoms" even ended so it seemed a little baffling to consider one group of "Egyptians" as more true than others. But I do see your point re: the loss of culture. I was not aware of that later history. HOORAY learning. Now back to the puzzle before I make Balin cross blathering on about history. :D Don't worry -- I liked the history lesson

The source:
Something on the Internet? Yope -- it can be found online, but also...
Is it a joke? It's humor, but not a joke
XKCD relevant? No
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also...
In a book?
On TV?
A movie?
On this forum?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13920
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also...
In a book?
On TV?
A movie?
On this forum? No, no, no, no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a song?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13924
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a song? No -- the other source is another form of print media.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 863
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a newspaper? magazine?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13928
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a newspaper? This magazine?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13942
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One-day warning RECAP:

According to a certain non-serious standard involving two fictional gods (one Egyptian), ancient Egypt was greater than another ancient place/people group. This standard can be found online and in a newspaper.

HINT: The standard is not serious.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the standard a comic?
Specific comic relevant?
Superheros relevant?

The other God:
Norse?
Greek?
Roman?
Asian of some stripe?

Is the specific Egyptian God relevant?
Ra?
Anubis?
Horus?
Set?
(wait, is Set female? I mean "Seth"??)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13952
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the standard a comic?
Specific comic relevant?
Superheros relevant? No to all

The other God: None of these
Norse?
Greek?
Roman?
Asian of some stripe?

Is the specific Egyptian God relevant? Yope -- remember, it's a fictional god i.e. one that was not worshipped by actual ancient Egyptians but was created later.
Ra?
Anubis?
Horus?
Set?
(wait, is Set female? I mean "Seth"??)

Because of time constraints, I'll make it a bit easier. The standard involves humor, and the source is that Washington Post humor contest I've talked about a few times before.

If you can figure out the other ancient place/people and how Egypt was 'greater,' I'll call it there. Although I'm $poyling this at the end of today anyway because I leave tomorrow for my hiatus.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13960
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is going nowhere fast, and, well, it's time.

**********SPOILER**********

I enter the Washington Post's weekly Style Invitational contest. In one of these contests (move the first letter of the word to the end and redefine it), the winning entry was "Ommutec: The Egyptian god of wasted time." Interestingly, one of the honorable mentions (my entry, by the way) was "Olcatl: The Aztec god of silly Internet memes." [Link to results] So if The Style Invitational is the standard, the Egyptians were greater than the Aztecs.

Nice work, everyone. One more $poyler and I must depart.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: