[Metyx] 6 Stranded on an Island Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2011 » [Metyx] 6 Stranded on an Island « Previous Next »

Metyx (Metyx)
Username: Metyx

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6 people became stranded on an island.
One year later, a boat came along and rescued 5 of them.
Dbw (Dbw)
Username: Dbw

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did one of the castaways die before the rescue? Perhaps brained by a falling coconut?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did one of the castaways die before the rescue? Yes Perhaps brained by a falling coconut? No
Hominid (Hominid)
Username: Hominid

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a tropical island? A small island? Are the people HAM? HAF? Did the remaining person remain on the island? Was he/she (H? A? F?) rescued earlier? later? Did the people on the boat have anything against the other person?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cause of the castaway's death: suicide? murder? disease? killed by nonhuman animals? poisoned? drowned? some other accident? Cannibalism relevant?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a tropical island? Not entirely relevant, you can assume yes. A small island? You can assume yes Are the people HAM? HAF? Help me with those acronyms please! Did the remaining person remain on the island? Yes (dead, see above) Was he/she (H? A? F?) Help please with these abbreviations rescued earlier? No later? NoDid the people on the boat have anything against the other person?No

I'm new here. I read the starting guide, but I couldn't find an explanation for HAF. I need to know what those mean before I can answer. Thanks!
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cause of the castaway's death: suicide? murder? disease? killed by nonhuman animals? poisoned? drowned? some other accident? Cannibalism relevant? No to your various guesses at death.
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum, Metryx!

HAM = human adult male
HAF = human adult female

So it wasn't an accident, it wasn't disease, and it wasn't suicide or murder, right? Was it old age?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum, Metryx!

HAM = human adult male
HAF = human adult female

So it wasn't an accident, it wasn't disease, and it wasn't suicide or murder, right? Was it old age?

Thank you for the clarification, and the welcome! Yes, you can assume it was a human adult male, but not entirely relevant. No, this male did not die of old age. Let's assume he was 30 years old at the time of becoming stranded on the island. Good guesses at how he died, but I assure you that you haven't guessed it yet. He did die, but WHY is the important question.
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the other people want him dead? Was he already doomed when he was stranded? Are the other people HAM? HAF? Did the man die of starvation? Thirst? Is his religion relevant? Is he vegetarian? Vegan?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the other people want him dead? No Was he already doomed when he was stranded?No, he would have lived had he not become stranded Are the other people HAM? HAF? Yes, not entirely relevant Did the man die of starvation? Yes Thirst? No Is his religion relevant? No Is he vegetarian? No Vegan? No

I think you are close, but there is still a slight mystery as to how one person could die of starvation when 5 survived for rescue, so I won't spoil it just yet. Good guesses!
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he avoid eating something? Did he have an allergy? Did he simply not like the available food? Did the others not share with him?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he trapped somewhere?
Did he abandon the others and go somewhere where he couldn't get anything to eat?
Did the others abandon him?
Is an argument relevant?

Were they separated by something?
If so, did it happen while they were trying to escape from something?
Did they escape from
...a flood?
...a volcanic eruption?
...rockfall?
...an earthquake?
...wild animals?
...savages?
Or was there a physical barrier between them?
If so, was it
...a fissure?
...a wall of sorts?

Were there edible plants or animals on the island?
Did the 5 others survive on that?
Or did they live off food that they had with them?
Did any of the 5 others have a skill that helped them survive that the other person hadn't?
If so, does it involve
...trapping/hunting animals?
...disemboweling/preparing animals?
...telling apart edible plants from poisonous ones?
Dbw (Dbw)
Username: Dbw

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shellfish allergy?
Coconut allergy?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

had his teeth fallen out so that he couldn't eat what the others were eating? or did he normally have false teeth which he'd lost or broken?
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have any sort of disorder that made him unable to digest certain foods?
Did he have a medical condition that required special procedures for feeding him?

Is it relevant how they were stranded?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you guys have essentially guessed it.

***************** Spoiler *******************

6 people became stranded on an island. One year later, a boat came along and rescued 5 of them. Unfortunately, one year was not soon enough to save one man who died of starvation. For he had a seafood allergy that prevented him from eating the fish that the others became proficient at catching to keep themselves alive while they awaited rescue.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah ha! Very clever.

Just a note, the informal rules around here let you run up to three puzzles at a time. Thought I'd mention it in case you were waiting until each one was solved before posting a new one.
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the tip. I was actually just waiting to see if I screwed up something first before I got carried away. I'll take it as a good sign if you want me to post more.

I never knew puzzles like this had a following or a name before. They are sort of fun, so I'll stick around for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks for the welcome!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can understand that! I've had a couple of longs breaks from the forum since joining back in 2001. I usually start with just one puzzle to make sure I remember what I'm doing!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: