[Metyx] Old Man's Occupation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2011 » [Metyx] Old Man's Occupation « Previous Next »

Metyx (Metyx)
Username: Metyx

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A traveler to a small town hears an old man on his deathbed recite the following:

"Just like my dear hovel, it never broke down. Every day I was in the know: my dear Andy loved me, year after year he remained true."

These last words made no particular sense to the visitor, but the locals from town just nodded their heads.

Question: What did the dying man do for a living?
Dbw (Dbw)
Username: Dbw

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" the same thing as "Andy"?

Is Andy a human? Adult male?

Does this take place in the dear hovel?

Could the man just have easily said "Just like my beloved shack, ..." or is the phrase "dear hovel" particularly relevant?

The colon in the middle of the second sentence is confusing; should it be a semicolon?

Was the man (let's call him Cletus) in the know every day because of something Andy told him every day?

Was anyone else "in the know" or only the old man?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" the same thing as "Andy"? No

Is Andy a human? Adult male? Human yes. Male no. VERY relevant.

Does this take place in the dear hovel? FA, not entirely relevant

Could the man just have easily said "Just like my beloved shack, ..." or is the phrase "dear hovel" particularly relevant? Very relevant. No, the old man would not have said shack instead. Impossible.

The colon in the middle of the second sentence is confusing; should it be a semicolon? The visitor is the one who heard those words. The visitor is the one who is confused. Very relevant that we see what the visitor heard. However, whether the riddle writer used exact English grammar is not relevant.

Was the man (let's call him Cletus) in the know every day because of something Andy told him every day? Yope. Still some false assumption here.

Was anyone else "in the know" or only the old man? FA: once this gets cleared up, it was typically only the man "in the know".
Dbw (Dbw)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the dear hovel a building? Is it a human's dwelling? Did Cletus live there? Did Cletus own it?

Does the dear hovel still exist? Does "it" still exist? Is Andy still alive?

Is the visitor mishearing "Andy"? Is Cletus actually saying "and he"? Is he trying to say "Sandy"?

Does Cletus have some kind of speech impediment?

Does "it" refer to an animal? Does "it" refer to a piece of machinery?

Is the visitor mishearing the word "dear"? Is Cletus trying to say "deer"? How about "Deere"?

Is a tractor involved? Is he a farmer?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the dear hovel a building? No Is it a human's dwelling? No Did Cletus live there? No Did Cletus own it? Yes

Does the dear hovel still exist? Yes Does "it" still exist? Yes. Same Answer. Is Andy still alive? No, else would have been in attendance.

Is the visitor mishearing "Andy"? No Is Cletus actually saying "and he"? Is he trying to say "Sandy"? Yes and no, you are very close and on the right track.

Does Cletus have some kind of speech impediment? Yes!

Does "it" refer to an animal? No Does "it" refer to a piece of machinery? Almost.

Is the visitor mishearing the word "dear"? No Is Cletus trying to say "deer"? No How about "Deere"? No

Is a tractor involved? No Is he a farmer? No
Dbw (Dbw)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Cletus trying to say "Candy"? "Randy"? "[the rest of the alphabet]andy?"

Does Cletus refer to the (non-male) Andy as "he" due to his speech impediment?

Does Cletus lack the ability to pronounce a particular sound?

Is Cletus trying to say "shovel"?

Is "it" the same as "dear hovel"? Does "it" and/or "dear hovel" refer to a vehicle?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Cletus trying to say "Candy"? "Randy"? "[the rest of the alphabet]andy?" Sandy

Does Cletus refer to the (non-male) Andy as "he" due to his speech impediment? Yes

Does Cletus lack the ability to pronounce a particular sound? Yes

Is Cletus trying to say "shovel"? Yes

Is "it" the same as "dear hovel"? Does "it" and/or "dear hovel" refer to a vehicle? Yes, "it" refers to the shovel you guessed previously.
Dbw (Dbw)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this doesn't entirely make sense but... Cletus can't pronounce the letter "s"? (Except in the words "just" and "was"?)

"Just like my dear [s]hovel, it never broke down. Every day I was in the [s]now. My dear [S]andy loved me; year after year [s]he remained true."

Cletus was a snowplow operator and Sandy was his wife?
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this doesn't entirely make sense but... Cletus can't pronounce the letter "s"? (Except in the words "just" and "was"?) Good question. Cletus's speech impediment doesn't allow him to begin a word with the "S" sound clear enough for a stranger to hear. My two-year old daughter does the exact same thing which helped inspire this riddle.

"Just like my dear [s]hovel, it never broke down. Every day I was in the [s]now. My dear [S]andy loved me; year after year [s]he remained true." Yes!

Cletus was a snowplow operator and Sandy was his wife? Yes! Or maybe the town was small enough he used a hand shovel. But you are correct.
Metyx (Metyx)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

******************************* Spoiler *********************************

A traveler to a small town hears an old man on his deathbed recite the following:

"Just like my dear hovel, it never broke down. Every day I was in the know: my dear Andy loved me, year after year he remained true."

These last words made no particular sense to the visitor, but the locals from town just nodded their heads.

This is because the locals were very familiar with the old man's speech impediment which made it impossible for him to begin words with the "S" sound. They easily heard him say the following:

Just like my dear shovel, it never broke down every day I was in the snow. My dear Sandy loved me, year after year she remained true."

The old man was the town snow shoveler!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: