[Fionakelleghan] Pride and Prejudice,... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2011 » [Fionakelleghan] Pride and Prejudice, kinda « Previous Next »

Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[I said I wouldn't post until I'd read the threads for a few days; but I see the Active boards are a bit slow. Please forgive me for any newbie-isms!]

Joe is indoors when Sid approaches Joe's house. They both look through the window toward each other. Sid whistles loudly and runs out of view. What is Joe likely to do next?
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Joe HAM?
Is Sid HAM?

Does Sid do something to impress Joe?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 904
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Joe know Sid?
Does Sid know Joe?

Did Sid want Joe to hear him whistle?
Did Sid want somebody else to hear him whistle?

Are any relevant persons with Sid?
Are any relevant persons with Joe?

Was their interaction planned beforehand?
Or was it a spontaneous action?

Did their interaction consist of looking and whistling only?
If not, did Joe say something to Sid?
If not, did Sid say something to Joe?
If not, did Joe show something to Sid?
If not, did Sid show something to Joe?

Relevant which room Joe was in?
If so, was it
...the living room?
...the kitchen?
...the dining room?
...Joe's room?
...Joe's parents' room (if applicable)?
...the room of any of Joe's siblings (if applicable)?
...the basement?
...the cellar?
...the attic?

Relevant which story of the house Joe was in?

Did Sid whistle through his mouth only?
Or did he use a whistle?
Is that relevant?

Relevant where Sid runs?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13977
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Sid use a dog whistle? Is Joe a dog?

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! Please advise how I turn my font into bold, and then we're good.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

\B {your text} without the space in between

http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=formatting

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Joe HAM? YES
Is Sid HAM? YES

Does Sid do something to impress Joe? Wow, great question right out of the gate! Sid is doing something, yes, but I'll advise you to explore.

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Joe know Sid?
Does Sid know Joe? YES, they both know each other.

Did Sid want Joe to hear him whistle? No.
Did Sid want somebody else to hear him whistle? Yesish

Are any relevant persons with Sid? No
Are any relevant persons with Joe? Yes

Was their interaction planned beforehand? No.
Or was it a spontaneous action? Yesish

Did their interaction consist of looking and whistling only? What a great question. YOPE
If not, did Joe say something to Sid?
If not, did Sid say something to Joe?
If not, did Joe show something to Sid?
If not, did Sid show something to Joe? No to all, for those moments by the window.

Relevant which room Joe was in? Yes
If so, was it
...the living room?
...the kitchen?
...the dining room?
...Joe's room?
...Joe's parents' room (if applicable)?
...the room of any of Joe's siblings (if applicable)?
...the basement?
...the cellar?
...the attic? It could be the living room, but I was thinking of another room that some houses have.

Relevant which story of the house Joe was in? Yes, it is, if you mean first floor, second floor, and so on.

Did Sid whistle through his mouth only? Yes.
Or did he use a whistle? No.
Is that relevant? Yes.

Relevant where Sid runs? Yes.

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Sid use a dog whistle? Is Joe a dog? Joe is not a dog, but it's a fair and respectable query. And I thank you for the laugh, just when I could use one.

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin, have you read Dick Francis's novels? The thriller writer? In "For Kicks," a truly scary and heinous crime is being committed by the perps who use a dog whistle. I should have posted to Chat, right? Won't do this again.

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin, have you read Dick Francis's novels? The thriller writer? In "For Kicks," a truly scary and heinous crime is being committed by the perps who use a dog whistle. I should have posted to Chat, right? Won't do this again.

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks, I nearly forgot that I was unconsciously basing this puzzle in Miami, where I live; and since it was a basic assumption of mine, but not smack-to-the-forehead assumable by anyone else, I gotta declare it.

I love me my bright sunny skies! Since one of you might have asked whether it were set in rainy Seattle, or the fogs of Northern Europe, or the harsh salty Mediterranean lights of Greece, I'll acknowledge right now that it's in the States.

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I have to add another detail: There is a smallish link between Jane Austen's P-and-P and the puzzle I've set. Since I thought of this connection only about 15 minutes ago, you folks are entirely authorized to ask for another Hint.

Cat calling for me, brb -
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 909
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Joe in the first floor of the house?
In the second floor?
In the third floor?
(I assume that houses don't normally have more floors than that.)

The room:
The storage room?
The guest room?
The library?
The bathroom?

Did Sid want the person who was with Joe to hear him whistle?
Did Sid know that the person was there?
Did he know that Joe was there?

Is the person HAM? HAF? HTM? HTF? HCM? HCF?
Is it a friend of Joe's?
A relative of Joe's?
If so, is it
...his wife?
...his daugther?
...his son?
Is the person a friend of Sid's?
A lover of Sid's?

Did Sid run away because Joe had seen him?
Did Joe run after Sid?

Is there only one other relevant person with Joe?
Several other ones?

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Joe in the first floor of the house? Yes
In the second floor?
In the third floor?
(I assume that houses don't normally have more floors than that.)

The room:
The storage room?
The guest room?
The library?
The bathroom? No to all

Did Sid want the person who was with Joe to hear him whistle? yes
Did Sid know that the person was there? yes
Did he know that Joe was there? no

Is the person HAM? HAF? HTM? HTF? HCM? HCF? HAF
Is it a friend of Joe's?
A relative of Joe's?
If so, is it
...his wife? {yes}
...his daugther?
...his son?
Is the person a friend of Sid's? yes
A lover of Sid's? yes!

Did Sid run away because Joe had seen him? no
Did Joe run after Sid? probably!

Is there only one other relevant person with Joe? this
Several other ones?

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The apparent adultery is not the real mystery. After all, we encounter adulterers fairly frequently in these puzzles!
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was Joe naked?

was the whistle one of appreciation?

was the room a swimming pool? sauna? gymnasium? utility room?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 916
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing Joe is likely to do next, is it
...an interaction with Sid?
...an interaction with his wife?
...something he does to himself?
...something he does to something in the room (such as throwing something)?
...calling somebody else (such as a security service or the police)?

Burgler alarm relevant?
Security system relevant?

Did Joe assume that Sid was
...his wife's lover?
...a burgler?
...a voyeur?
...playing a prank on him?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the person Joe's wife?

is the whistle supposed to be a private signal to Sid's lover?

does Sid whistle before seeing Joe?

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was Joe naked? He could be, if you like, but not necessarily, because...

was the whistle one of appreciation? No, it was just happiness, not any special tune.

was the room a swimming pool? sauna? gymnasium? This, room for lifting weights etc. utility room?

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing Joe is likely to do next, is it
...an interaction with Sid? yes
...an interaction with his wife? yes
...something he does to himself?
...something he does to something in the room (such as throwing something)?
...calling somebody else (such as a security service or the police)?

Burgler alarm relevant?
Security system relevant? no to both

Did Joe assume that Sid was
...his wife's lover? I love these all-encompassing modes of classification! I'll say that Joe *realizes* what Sid and wifey are up to. As the joke goes, you never get caught the FIRST time
...a burgler?
...a voyeur?
...playing a prank on him?

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the person Joe's wife? yes

is the whistle supposed to be a private signal to Sid's lover? no, it's just happiness, maybe lustful happiness; they might have a private signal, but that's IRR

does Sid whistle before seeing Joe? FA! The real mystery is, well, let's say Sherlockian. I did phrase my puzzle precisely.

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of you are so clever!

Okay, timing is important.

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: I've been thinking it over. I want to delete any reference to Jane Austen.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they look through the window, but Sid doesn't see Joe, correct? Does Joe see Sid? Does Joe hear the whistle?

Relevant what type of window they are looking at each through?

Video games relevant?

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[I feel certain that I've answered this already! We might need a good puzzler to get Fiona's head on straight.]

So they look through the window, but Sid doesn't see Joe, correct? correct

Does Joe see Sid? yes
Does Joe hear the whistle? probably, but mostly IRR

Relevant what type of window they are looking at each through? YES

Video games relevant? no, but good q

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[I apologize - I answered YES to the question about whether Sid's whistle is important, when I should have said NO or IRR. You folks are managing very well despite my mistake, but I'm embarrassed.]
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, welcome! Interesting puzzles so far and I’m eager to jump into this one.

Is it relevant why Sid is coming to Joe’s house?
Is it also Sid’s home?
Is Sid’s home nearby (like next door)?
And in “approaching Joe’s house” Sid is actually heading to his own house?
Was Sid deliberately heading to Joe’s house?
To see Joe?

So, Joe is in the home gym, yes?
Is he working out at the time?
Is this relevant?

Sid does not see Joe, but Joe sees Sid, yes?
Does Sid see anyone when he looks at the window?
Does he only see himself?
Is it a reflective window?
Perhaps with some sort of tinting treatment to keep out the heat of the sun?
A screened window?
Like on a lanai?

Fellow Floridian here, though I’m on the other coast. Lived in Coral Springs for a while about 20 years back though.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aw shucks! I was hoping the P and P reference was to the BBC adaptation where Colin Firth goes swimming in just his shirt....

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[First, welcome! Interesting puzzles so far and I'm eager to jump into this one.] Hi, Vesica, thank you! And another Floridian, too. We can exchange scurrilous lies about Boca Raton, if we want.

Is it relevant why Sid is coming to Joe's house?} Yes

Is it also Sid's home? No.

Is Sid's home nearby (like next door)? Could be, even could probably be; but irr

And in "approaching Joe's house" Sid is actually heading to his own house? Ooh, here's a sly one! No.

But here I want to point out my rather awkward phrasing, which was intentional: "They both look through the window toward each other" rather than "They see each other through the window."

Was Sid deliberately heading to Joe's house? yes

To see Joe? No.

So, Joe is in the home gym, yes? Yes.

Is he working out at the time? Probably.

Is this relevant? Yes. . .

BIG SPOILER HERE:

... insofar as Joe is facing a window that looks into the front yard; but it is not the *main* living room window (which most of us would focus on, as we walk to the front door) or jalousie windows, which are almost impossible to see through. A lot of Floridians convert their garage or carport (does anyone actually use that term anymore?) into an exercise room, or into a guest's room, or what have you, if or since they don't need to frost-proof their cars.

Sid does not see Joe, but Joe sees Sid, yes? YES

Does Sid see anyone when he looks at the window?
Does he only see himself?
Is it a reflective window?
Perhaps with some sort of tinting treatment to keep out the heat of the sun?
A screened window? YOU NAILED IT! WE HAVE A WINNER!
("My Cousin Vinny," anyone?)

Like on a lanai?

******* ANSWER *******

I have emphasized Miami's sunny brightness, not just for cheery chatter (how shallow do you folks think I am? - JK - :D), but because it's a fact that most people never think of: When you're outside of a house on a bright sunny day, you can't see inside because of (Thanks, Vesica!) reflective or screened windows. (And who bothers to clean screened windows?)

The only way to see inside is if there is a light on inside.

Sid would have to go right up and press his face to the gym window, to see if Joe is there, since Joe doesn't have a light on, not during daylight. But Sid doesn't do that, he just glances toward Joe's gym window, sees nothing, and skips up the lawn, past the rec room, whistling happily, to the front door to see whatever-you-want-to-call-her.

I had this tortuous explanation about how Joe is on vacation, which Sid doesn't know, but none of you went there, and it was only an excuse for Joe to be home, anyway.

And since I asked you all to think about "What is Joe likely to do next?", it seemed a fairly obvious choice for me to hint at a big beefy guy rather than an ordinary man who is sharing some needed attention with a wife in a rotten, horrid life with her rotten, horrid husband and - I'm sorry, I just broke into laughter at my stupid cliches. I am NOT mean-spirited, as a rule!

The result of all this could be a reaffirmation of Joe's marriage. F*ck if I know.

If you're still reading, the genesis of this story is rather fun. Do any of you remember "Encyclopedia Brown," the hero of many stories by Don Sobol? He's a friend of my dad's and when I was a kid, he used to come to our parties. And one evening he said, "If you kids ever come up with a good mystery idea, let me know." It was earlier in the day that I had noticed that you can't see inside if the sky is bright. So I told Don about it, all excited, and he said, "Good," but it never did appear in a story. Maybe too much beer at the party.

So I've kept this idea inside me for about 30 years, always saying, "Fiona, eventually you WILL find a use for this unimportant fact."

And this group of great thinkers gave me more credit than even my parents and siblings.

So, yayyy!

Fellow Floridian here, though I'm on the other coast. Lived in Coral Springs for a while about 20 years back though.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I *loved* Encylcopedia Brown as a kid. It's very cool that you know Don Sobol. Too bad he didn't use your idea, though.
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too for Encyclopedia Brown. I have a funny feeling there is a high correlation between folks who loved those books (and the related "5 Minute Mysteries" etc.) and folks who later found their way to Lateral Puzzling!!

Very nice puzzle, Fiona! Offhand, I have no Boca gossip, but then again - the place is named "Rat Mouth". Need I say more? ;)
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I loved them too! I think there must definitely be a correlation here! =) Nice puzzle, Fiona! Californian here, though my paternal grandparents lived in Florida for quite a while =)
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 711
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Count me in the population of people who loved the EB books! I think I may still have one or two from my childhood sitting around somewhere. It would make sense that LPers might draw much of their ranks from Encyclopedia Brown fans -- I do remember one particular case of his that first introduced me to logic puzzles (the kind with the grid), which got me started on those... not a very long (lateral?) leap from there to lateral puzzles.

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, great to meet more EB fans. I knew I had a good thing goin' when I moseyed to this website.

Don Sobol dedicated one of his books to my dad (Paul Feehan), and I remember it was his 50th book, though nothing else about it. My dad kidded, "He must have 49 friends who are far more important than I am."

I have a feeling that brother or sister grabbed those books when we were all moving out of the house and finding our own apartments.

But I remember a few. The length of the knife that was stabbed into a watermelon. A boy who sucked ice to freeze his taste buds before drinking some yucky potion in a contest. Another one about two boys in a fight, and one puts his glasses into his shirt pocket, so Encyclopedia knows it was a fake fight, or the glasses would break.

We might have to start a new branch link...

Thanks to all of you!
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ones I remember best were the one where the word 'bookkeeper' was a major part of the plot, and the one where the girl is looking for her missing (live) goose and it turns out some campers have cooked and are eating it (somewhat traumatizing).

Googling him, I find he's been around since the 1960s -- never realized the series had been around that long! Oh, also found this from the Onion (hoping that links correctly)...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: