[Doriana] needs distraction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2011 » [Doriana] needs distraction « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should be revising, but I just can't concentrate anymore. So here's a little puzzle for you - I found a similar one on the internet, but I don't know if it's well known. Anyway, early $poilerz please e-mail (:

Emma gets good news. She spends the rest of the day crying.
Ben gets bad news. He spends the rest of the laughing.

Emma = H/A/F, Ben = H/A/M.
Hominid (Hominid)
Username: Hominid

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two pieces of news related? Do the two know each other? Are they related? Married? Divorced? In a relationship? Engaged?

Is Ben laughing because he's happy? Amused? Sad? Is it bad specifically for him? If Emma received the same news, would she cry? Laugh?

Is Emma crying because she's happy? Amused? Sad? Is it good specifically for her? If Ben received the same news, would he laugh? Cry?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two pieces of news related? yope Do the two know each other? no Are they related? Married? Divorced? In a relationship? Engaged? so, no to rest

Is Ben laughing because he's happy? Amused? Sad? no to all Is it bad specifically for him? it would be bad for most people who received this kind of news If Emma received the same news, would she cry? Laugh? she would cry

Is Emma crying because she's happy? Amused? Sad? no to all Is it good specifically for her? it would be good for most people who received this kind of news If Ben received the same news, would he laugh? Cry? he would laugh
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the crying/laughing due to emotions? Due to some physical trigger (eg onions/laughing gas)?

Is the bad news concerning work? Money? Illness? Death?
Is the good news concerning work? Money? Health?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve death?

Is anyone else relevant? HAM? HAF?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the crying/laughing due to emotions? no Due to some physical trigger (eg onions/laughing gas)? yes

Is the bad news concerning work? this Money? Illness? Death?
Is the good news concerning work? this Money? Health?

Does it involve death? no

Is anyone else relevant? HAM? HAF? two H/A/irrel who tell them the news
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news - promotion? Move to a different job? Salary rise?

Bad news - fired? Pay decrease? Increased workload? Different job?

Is the relevant trigger for the crying onions? Another foodstuff? Does Emma work with food?

Is the relevant trigger for the laughing some kind of drug? Is Ben's job related to health?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they testing a product? Do they have the same professions?

Can we call the person who gave Emma the news Pat, and the one who gave Ben the news Sandy?

Does Sandy know Pat? Emma? Ben? Does Pat know Sandy? Emma? Ben? Does Pat share Ben's profession? Emma's? Same question for Sandy.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news - promotion? assume this, could be the others as well Move to a different job? Salary rise?

Bad news - fired? assume this, could be the others as well Pay decrease? Increased workload? Different job?

Is the relevant trigger for the crying onions? yes! Another foodstuff? Does Emma work with food? yes

Is the relevant trigger for the laughing some kind of drug? no Is Ben's job related to health? no

Are they testing a product? Ben does Do they have the same professions? no

Can we call the person who gave Emma the news Pat, and the one who gave Ben the news Sandy? sure

Does Sandy know Pat? no Emma? no Ben? yes Does Pat know Sandy? no Emma? yes Ben? no Does Pat share Ben's profession? no Emma's? no, but... Same question for Sandy. for Emma - no, for Ben - no, but...
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Pat Emma's boss? Is Sandy Ben's boss?

Does Emma's job involve genetic engineering? plant breeding? agriculture? shipping/selling onions? cooking? taste-testing?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So does Emma spend the day chopping onions? Because it is part of her job? Is she a chef? A TV chef? If she hadn't got the good news would she have still chopped onions?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben exposed to laughing gas?
Is he being tickled?
Is he seeing something amusing?
Thinking of something amusing?

Is the product he is testing related to
...medicine?
...food?
...entertainment?
...sports / outdoor activities?

Is Ben testing the product at the same time he got the news?
Was he exposed to the thing that made him laugh before he got the news, but the thing has a longer-lasting effect?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Pat Emma's boss? Is Sandy Ben's boss? yes to both

Does Emma's job involve genetic engineering? plant breeding? agriculture? shipping/selling onions? cooking? this taste-testing?

So does Emma spend the day chopping onions? exactly Because it is part of her job? yes Is she a chef? not yet A TV chef? If she hadn't got the good news would she have still chopped onions? yes

Is Ben exposed to laughing gas? yes
Is he being tickled?
Is he seeing something amusing?
Thinking of something amusing?

Is the product he is testing related to
...medicine?
...food?
...entertainment?
...sports / outdoor activities?
irrel

Is Ben testing the product at the same time he got the news? no
Was he exposed to the thing that made him laugh before he got the news, but the thing has a longer-lasting effect? no
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Emma gets good news. She spends the rest of the day crying."

I feel for Emma, I really do. I recently quit my job. But I think my situation would have been far worse if my bosses offered me a raise to keep the job.

"Ben gets bad news. He spends the rest of the day laughing."

Okay... Ben learns that he is going to take over Emma's job, which means a pay hike.

Or, Ben is fuckin' psychotic and doesn't care who knows it. [Sorry! I don't really mean that. Unless it's true.]

Or, Ben is the son of the company owner, and I really don't need to go any further, do I?

Honestly, I'm not in a foul mood! I have my kitty in my lap, and I'm pleasantly sleepy, and I just tossed those out there.

Thanks for a great puzzle!
Fiona
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do Sandy and Pat share the same profession?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Emma gets good news. She spends the rest of the day crying."

I feel for Emma, I really do. I recently quit my job. But I think my situation would have been far worse if my bosses offered me a raise to keep the job.

"Ben gets bad news. He spends the rest of the day laughing."

Okay... Ben learns that he is going to take over Emma's job, which means a pay hike. nope

Or, Ben is fuckin' psychotic and doesn't care who knows it. [Sorry! I don't really mean that. Unless it's true.] Hehe, just assume Ben, Emma, Pat and Sandy are all perfectly sane

Or, Ben is the son of the company owner, and I really don't need to go any further, do I? no, he isn't

Honestly, I'm not in a foul mood! I have my kitty in my lap, and I'm pleasantly sleepy, and I just tossed those out there. I wish I had a kitty here right now. Oh, wait, I'm at the library. I don't think they'd allow one in here

Thanks for a great puzzle!
Fiona

do Sandy and Pat share the same profession? no

I was about to do a recap when I realized that you have more or less found everything. Just put the pieces together and it should be solved (:

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, Doriana, this seems like an easy riddle - but I'm one of the small percentage of people with no sense of smell.

Do I need sense of smell to follow hints in this puzzle?

Or do I need only to know that cooking is involved, and onions?

If the ingredients were different, would Ben and Emma (and Pat and Sandy) continue to be "perfectly sane"?

Or are you describing a perfectly sane meal, which sounds good, because all I had today for breakfast was a small health shake hours ago. (Which reminds me. It's nearly 12 noon here in Miami. What time is it where you are?
Just still trying to figure out the LP HQ, nothing more.)

Is it relevent whether Ben and/or Emma have been reading or watching the news?

Is it relevent whether either one just gathered a new piece of information?

Can you tell us which new product is being tested, or should we keep trying clues for it?

This is really interesting.
Fiona, still sleepy, but fascinated
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, Doriana, this seems like an easy riddle - but I'm one of the small percentage of people with no sense of smell.

Do I need sense of smell to follow hints in this puzzle? no - but do you cry when you chop onions?

Or do I need only to know that cooking is involved, and onions? yep

If the ingredients were different, would Ben and Emma (and Pat and Sandy) continue to be "perfectly sane"? what do you mean by ingredients?

Or are you describing a perfectly sane meal, which sounds good, because all I had today for breakfast was a small health shake hours ago. (Which reminds me. It's nearly 12 noon here in Miami. What time is it where you are? all I know about the meal might be being cooked is that it contains onions. I'm in Germany where it's 8 pm, time for dinner, but I'm not hungry.
Just still trying to figure out the LP HQ, nothing more.)

Is it relevent whether Ben and/or Emma have been reading or watching the news? do you mean the news that they get from Pat and Sandy? They tell them directly.

Is it relevent whether either one just gathered a new piece of information? they both gather a new piece of information

Can you tell us which new product is being tested, or should we keep trying clues for it? I don't know what product it is, but we have established that it contains laughing gas

This is really interesting.
Fiona, still sleepy, but fascinated

We have everything we need for Emma, and just a detail is missing for Ben.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Ben inhale from a whipped cream aerosol can? maybe to get "high" so he forgets about his bad news?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Ben inhale from a whipped cream aerosol can? no maybe to get "high" so he forgets about his bad news? no

HINT: Try to get the chronology of events straight.

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana?

"...all I know about the meal might be being cooked is that it contains onions. I'm in Germany where it's 8 pm..."

Wo wohnen sie in Deutschland? Ich habe studium der Deutschen Sprache, aber nur ein kleines. Deutsch ist eine schoene sprache! Leider ist es viele Jahre her, seit ich studiert habe.

Ich freue mich, sie kennen zu lernen!

I know, I have forgotten much German.

Aber ich liebe Deutsch zu studieren!

Oh, I haven't even asked a puzzle question, but my cats are calling for their breakfast ("Meine katzen wollen ihr frühstück?") and I need to sleep!

More questions later today.

Hugs from Miami,
Fiona

PS: I did not know whether you were actually interested in the Fiona Lack Of Smell (hopefully one day to be a major motion picture).

I can smell three things: salt at the beach, the exhaust from a diesel bus, and chopped onions, if I put my face right down into the onion.

I think it is because of large molecules. I cracked my skull when I was 2, and have never smelled anything after that. Except for sea salt and bus fumes. Yuck! (My brother used to cut a piece of apple and a piece of onion, then come up behind me, jam one into my mouth, and demand, "Which is it?" I would politely eat the onion slice and then say, "You dumb f*ck, you forgot that I can tell textures.")
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wo wohnen sie in Deutschland? Ich habe studium der Deutschen Sprache, aber nur ein kleines. Deutsch ist eine schoene sprache! Leider ist es viele Jahre her, seit ich studiert habe.

Ich freue mich, sie kennen zu lernen!

I know, I have forgotten much German.
Nein, dein Deutsch ist gut! Ich freue mich, wenn jemand Deutsch studiert. Ich wohne in Leverkusen im Westen von Deutschland, in der Nähe von Köln/Cologne.
Aber ich liebe Deutsch zu studieren!

Oh, I haven't even asked a puzzle question, but my cats are calling for their breakfast ("Meine katzen wollen ihr frühstück?" JA!) and I need to sleep!

More questions later today.

Hugs from Miami,
Fiona

PS: I did not know whether you were actually interested in the Fiona Lack Of Smell (hopefully one day to be a major motion picture).

I can smell three things: salt at the beach, the exhaust from a diesel bus, and chopped onions, if I put my face right down into the onion.

I think it is because of large molecules. I cracked my skull when I was 2, and have never smelled anything after that. Except for sea salt and bus fumes. Yuck! (My brother used to cut a piece of apple and a piece of onion, then come up behind me, jam one into my mouth, and demand, "Which is it?" I would politely eat the onion slice and then say, "You dumb f*ck, you forgot that I can tell textures.")

I was indeed interested. It's strange... I can't imagine what it'd be like to live without a sense of smell, but since you were so young when you lost it, it's probably the most natural thing for you.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3985
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fiona kitteh cannot even smell a cheezburgur? *haz a sad for fiona kitteh* Although Kaylee kitteh having seizures is teh most natural thing for Kaylee kitteh, but scares everyone else...so kind of understands!
Dbw (Dbw)
Username: Dbw

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, my cat is elsewhere, so if nobody objects I'll take the opportunity to ask a question about the puzzle. ;-)

Is Ben involved in dentistry? Is Ben trying to get high? Is Ben being paid to inhale laughing gas? If so, how can I get that job?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben involved in dentistry? not directly, but his job might have to do with it Is Ben trying to get high? no, good q Is Ben being paid to inhale laughing gas? yope If so, how can I get that job? ask him (;
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does Ben's job involve delivering or manufacturing the lauging gas?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does Ben's job involve delivering or manufacturing the lauging gas? unlikely - I don't know much about Ben's job apart from the fact that it involves laughing gas, and you don't have to know more either.

You actually have everything you need, anyone wanna sum it up?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13995
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read this one before -- I shall stay out of it.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, feel free to put the pieces together, it's almost solved and hasn't had any new posts lately.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14005
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK:

Emma's job is chopping onions. She is informed that she'll be promoted, but cries because she's chopping onions all day.

Ben, whose job involves exposure to laughing gas, is informed that he'll be fired, but laughs throughout the day because of the nitrous oxide exposure.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct!

See Balin's post for the ********SPOILER********

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: