[FionaKelleghan] The Language of Birds Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [FionaKelleghan] The Language of Birds « Previous Next »

Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Some wise man once said that life is a foreign language. But birds, who know love and longing and hatred and jealousy, often speak to us in our own."

I'll start with a few clues, because it's a strange puzzle.

This is based on a story which I wrote but never published (although I did win an award for it).

My fiction has always been science fiction, fantasy, and/or horror. Consider this puzzle to fall into one of these camps. (Or, maybe, two.)

I need a name... Pandora will do.

Pandora owns and manages a special type of pet store.

On one day, three people come into the store: one first, "the black-haired woman," and then, a bit later, the couple: married man and woman.

Pandora sees them outside, sees them enter the shop, which sets the little bell ringing, and she speaks politely to each of them.

All of the potential customers spend time looking around the store. This happens to turn into spectacularly bad luck.

There are precisely 4 people in this story puzzle:

* Pandora, who owns the place;
* "the black-haired woman," who comes in to look around and maybe shop;
* and the two other people, who come in to look around and maybe shop.

The ending might be tragic; or it might be happy, depending on whom you root for.

I think that's way enough clues to get you started!

Oh, and thanks for the cheezburgs - I eat them, my cats eat them, and a surprising number of other animals eat them!
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad Luck hmm

Is the store very small?

Door small? Window Small?

Does they break anything?

Are they having something to which the pets may allergic? Or something rather more dangerous for them?

Can this occur in real situation?

Is it a store having dangerous/poisonous pets like snake,lizards and scorpions?Does they bit some of the 3 people? Ending up in a police case?

Bad luck considering money? Normal life? For shop? Business?

Cheezburgs gives clue?Some animal had some problem with these?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol...the cheezburgurz be from me, Fiona kitteh? =D is welcome =) are they a clue or not? =P

Pandora, hmm...
Might we then call "the black-haired woman" Athene? And the married couple perhaps Zeus and Hera? (Continuing with the Greek theme here)
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a lateral adventure? or are we trying to figure out why these people are in the store? or why they may have bad luck?

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Yatin!

Bad Luck hmm

Is the store very small? No. In fact, I think of it as an emporium. It has a large indoor area (which you're familiar with, if you have a PetCo or other franchised store near you), plus there's a large space out back for the larger "creatures looking for a good new home."

Door small? Window Small? Nope! Lots of large windows to let in sunshine; lots of mirrors to refract; and a double-door at the front where the bell rings. Pandora sits behind the counter near these big doors and windows, where she can see people strolling and shopping and potential customers approaching.

I don't think it spoils anything to tell you that there are large, wide aisles, with lots of potted plants, and vines hanging from the ceiling, and lots of bird song.

Does they break anything? No. I started to make a pun... about metaphorical breaking... But NO.

Are they having something to which the pets may allergic? Or something rather more dangerous for them? The customers are not dangerous to the creatures, no. But you're OTRT with your second question.

Can this occur in real situation? Good question! After I shared the story with my writing group, almost everyone asked me whether there is such a store in existence, and whether the events actually took place. So, my readers/friends thought it was believable!

It will hardly help you now, to tell you that my story is mostly metaphorical, but when a critical event becomes non-metaphorical and real, you will realize, with certainty, that it is just a story. That I made up. And that maybe I should try to publish.

Is it a store having dangerous/poisonous pets like snake,lizards and scorpions? Does they bit some of the 3 people? Ending up in a police case? There are dangerous creatures, yes, but I will ask you to look at my title: "The Language of Birds." I don't believe I will spoil anything if I tell you that it is entirely a bird store, but with a larger selection of birds, and a selection of larger birds, than are probably legal.

But, yes, you should keep danger in mind.

Bad luck considering money? Normal life? For shop? Business? Hmm. The bad luck is not for Pandora: her business is good, money is coming in, she's getting interviews in the newspapers; we don't really learn about her normal life, but she loves animals, especially birds, and has created a special rationale, or incentive, or motive to bring customers in. The three customers who come in that day came because of the incentives or motives that Pandora advertises online and in the news.

Cheezburgs gives clue? Some animal had some problem with these? Oh, lord! Kaylee, what have we done?? Yatin, no, no. Cheezburgurs are what Kaylee and I were joking about. NO Cheezburgurs in Pandora's store!

Keep up the good work!
Fiona

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee kitteh says:

"lol...the cheezburgurz be from me, Fiona kitteh? =D is welcome =) are they a clue or not? =P" Hee hee! No, no clue. I'm still aching to make a joke, in which the cheezb's would become a very bad pun... But I wuldz be a very bad Fiona.

Pandora, hmm...
Might we then call "the black-haired woman" Athene? And the married couple perhaps Zeus and Hera? (Continuing with the Greek theme here)

[Parenthetically, there are many Greek themes in this story. I'd forgotten; but now you have crystallized them for me. I sell the story? Kaylee, you get half!]

Oh, you are too smart for me! Athene works! Better than you could imagine! Only Artemis could work better!

And...

Aw, hell, it isn't as though you can all see into my hard drive. And this isn't really a spoiler. Athene (who has a handicap - which is important! almost forgot to mention it!) comes in first. She looks around, chats a little. She's shy.

Then, in a little while, this is from my story:

"A car door slammed, second time in an hour, and a voice stabbed the air with sudden nastiness just outside the big front window. The black-haired woman looked out, but didn't turn back to me, just stood staring. So I looked out too.

The tall, elegant woman out there had lowered her voice, but she was still talking with rapid anger at a man with a decaying expression. The poor guy coming around the front of the car had to be her husband. His hair was graying, and he was thin and kinda cute; he could have been James Woods's younger brother. But his lips were tight, his face so blank of emotion that I realized he was deeply unhappy."

So, "Hera" works for the wife's name - I only called her "the harpy" in the story - and damn if I remember what I named the husband. Actually - wait, I'm laughing now - "Zeus" does work for his name, if we remember that Zeus was always being scolded by Hera. Hee hee!
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Birds are parrots, the one who copies you? They said something wrong to some customer which was first said by someone else?

The birds copy Pandora? One of the couple? Black haired?

The birds say something to someone?

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd, thanks for returning us to logic (Kaylee and I are apt to get silly.)

Is this a lateral adventure? or are we trying to figure out why these people are in the store? or why they may have bad luck?

This is a mystery puzzle - a whydunit rather than a whodunit. The bad luck can be exalted like the Greeks... or it can be just considered as an uncomfortable moment in a sitcom.

YES, you need to discover why these particular people came to this particular store - an unlikely place to meet! - a store that sells all kinds of birds.

When I said "bad luck," I didn't mean a cosmic collision or a plague. Pandora is the sympathetic owner who considers this confluence of these people at this time to be bad luck; she is nice, whereas the other three customers are opaque to her. She just wants to make a sale, but she gradually realizes that she is becoming a member of an unhappy people collision.

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh geez! I'm sorry, folks, but Boris the Evil Cat just tried to jump on my lap, but skidded, and he's scratched open a long trail down my leg.

Dang, darn, dang, and here I was getting in to writing the round-robin

Wait, Boris, come bacjk!

He'
s m ore
alarmed than I am; it's only blood. I made the mistake of yelling, '

I need to find him an d I need to wrap some bandages around my leg.

Sorry, just when I was getting going!

Back soon! Love you all

oh boris, kitty, he's afraid more than i - it's ok but he's scared that he took my foot off or something - a good cat, i need to comfort him

back later
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ammm I think you missed my previous post

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yatin, my apologies!

Birds are parrots, the one who copies you? They said something wrong to some customer which was first said by someone else?

Oh, clever!

That is not the truth in this story.

Yatin, maybe I know the story you remember. It was written by John Collier. The young couple think they have an innocent parrot, but it is evil. That is a GREAT story.

However, clever Yatin, this is a story that I made up in my own tiny brain. :D

The birds copy Pandora? One of the couple? Black haired?

You are "thinking deep thoughts." Pandora is nice, and because she feeds the birds, they like her.

But:

1) there is danger

2) Pandora feeds the birds, but some birds are large and wild

3) Yatin, you are right: there is danger from both the customers and from the birds.

I will give you more hints, if you wish. This is a fantasy story, so it is complicated.

During the afternoon in the story, there are people who are dangerous to each other, and there are birds who are dangerous to people (if they get free from the cage).

You also said: "The birds say something to someone?"

You are, maybe, remembering a Twilight Zone episode.}
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which bird relevant?

Honestly humans are dangerous to every other specie

Is it dangerous for the birds after they are out of the cage or before?

Is it dangerous for the visitor after the birds are out of the cage?

The couple dangerous to each other?
The couple dangerous to black haired woman?Visa versa?
Pandora dangerous to anyone?

Did Pandora forgot to feed the birds? Or she is not able to feed them?

Are the visitors trying to feed the birds?

Did the birds dislike the visitors?

Does the birds know what the visitors think about them?
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Visitors have evil ideas to do something to birds?

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yatin, you are so clever that you will solve this puzzle in a short time.

Which bird relevant? The raven

"Is it dangerous for the birds after they are out of the cage or before?"

Yatin, if I understand you correctly, then the raven is much more dangerous when it is out of the cage. Ravens are large, predatory birds, and they are always dangerous.

And, yes, Pandora has ravens, and she is willing to sell or rent them.

Is it dangerous for the visitor after the birds are out of the cage?

Yes, it is very dangerous, if a raven gets out of its cage. (Some people think that crows are very dangerous. They are, to small animals.) I am more afraid of a raven than any other predatory bird.

The couple dangerous to each other?

Oh, you have almost solved this! The married couple are no longer happy together. The wife is dangerous to the husband, because she is determined to "keep him" married to her.

The couple dangerous to black haired woman? Visa versa?
There is a danger, but not to the black-haired woman. Visa versa? Yes. I can give you many clues why she is dangerous to them.

Pandora dangerous to anyone? Oh, no! Well, Pandora could be dangerous if she speaks aloud what she sees. However, in my story, she is sympathetic for the man and for the black-haired woman; and she dislikes the wife, whom she calls a "harpy."

Did Pandora forgot to feed the birds? Or she is not able to feed them?

Wow! You surprised me. No, Pandora loves the birds and always takes care of them. Lots of people come into the store: children; parents and children; grandparents; anyone who is looking for a pet bird.

I promise you, Pandora is a nice lady. THIS IS IMPORTANT, if you missed it earlier: The bird store is both a bird rental agency AND a store that sells birds.

For example, lots of couples in love will come in to rent a pair of lovebirds for the weekend, because while the two sweethearts are making spaghetti (or whatever) and making love, they like the sound of lovebirds singing.

Also (this is in my story), teachers will rent an owl or owls (owls are supposed to be wise) for a student or a few students who did very well in class that week. The students get to take the owls home, and feed them, and play with them, and feel very proud that they were smart in the class-room.

Are the visitors trying to feed the birds? Look at you! I am impressed! No, the visitors are not trying to feed the birds. The black-haired lady wants to buy a bird. The wife of the unhappy man also wants to buy a bird. Both women are thinking of the symbolism of the birds that they want to buy, or rent.

Did the birds dislike the visitors? Excellent question, but no. The birds are birds, each with their own personalities. The visitors might dislike the birds - or, rather, they might dislike what the birds represent in symbolism. But all of the birds like Pandora because she feeds them and cares for them; Pandora also teaches each customer how to care for that bird.

Does the birds know what the visitors think about them?
Yatin, you are very clever! But no: the birds are only birds. They behave exactly as they would behave if they were flying around in the wilderness or (to be simple) if they were free.

I do not want to distort or complicate this story, so I will give you some more facts:

Pandora's store contains ONLY birds. The birds are for rent or for sale.

If a buyer of a bird is not happy, the buyer can return the bird to Pandora, and retrieve the sale money.

Pandora has been clever to think of many ways in which birds can be considered.

For example, Pandora sells hens. Hens are friendly with people; they like other chickens; and they will lay eggs every day, if they are given the encouragement.

Pandora also sells geese. Geese lay eggs; they make a huge mess; and they are as fierce as farm dogs if anyone tries to approach.

Geese are considered "silly," and Pandora sometimes will rent a female goose, for a night or so - it sends the message: "I consider you silly." [The message to a boss might be, for example, STOP telling me to do simple tasks. We have students / trainees for that.]

Let me remind you, here, that Pandora's store is famous, and that people in the neighborhood are accustomed to being sent a bird for a few hours. They might get angry. Mostly, they laugh.

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I am so sorry! I have to go. I hope I will be back soon. You are very smart in this puzzle!

I will be back as quickly as I can. It might be a few hours. But I know you will solve this!
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh you don't know how much I am loving this puzzle

Did the birds the two bought were exchanged when they were taking them home i.e the black haired woman bought the raven and the couple bought some small bird but they both took different birds?

Did the wife planned something? Black haired woman helped her?

You said""Some wise man once said that life is a foreign language. But birds, who know love and longing and hatred and jealousy, often speak to us in our own." then you said that birds "The birds are birds and "They behave exactly as they would behave if they were flying around in the wilderness or (to be simple) if they were free. "

So that isn't a clue right?

Wife wanted to kill her husband?

The black haired woman bought/rented raven? Some small bird?
Couple bought/rented raven? Some Small bird?

Pandora wants to help the husband?

Does Pandora know about wife's plan?

Is the husband alive?Was a murder attempted?

Does anyone of them returns the bird?

Is it a money thing?The husband rich?

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yatin and Kaylee, you have been smart and really determined to figure this out.

Yatin, I went to my computer. I opened my fiction file. I read "The Language of Birds" again.

And I was absolutely wrong to try to use my story as a lateral puzzle.

There are too many complications which no one could guess.

For example:

The bird store relies heavily on metaphors that (1) each bird is used for, and which (2) customers will understand when they buy or rent.

First example: owls are rented by teachers to reward really good students. The student can take a caged owl home for the weekend. And this is so wonderful and cool that students have been working really hard at homework, because they want to be the one who gets the owl!

Geese might be rented because they are foolish and messy; a person could rent one to put into the boss's office.

During romantic holidays, love-birds are purchased or rented.

And there is a punch-line, or a twist...

I will be happy to explain the rest to you. I could even send the story to you, if you want; but I feel really guilty for having the idea that I could use it as a puzzle.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I felt the same guilt for my puzzle "LTPF family" cause the idea was not good for a puzzle (:

But you are not at all bad at puzzle for example- your pride and prejudice puzzle I loved it

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yatin, you are wonderful.

I will happily email the story to you, if you want to see it. I think the punch-line is really good. And really evil.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please do it (:

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: