[gregoryuconn] A Bi-Partasin Cheer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [gregoryuconn] A Bi-Partasin Cheer « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been at two sporting events in my lifetime where fans and/or cheerleaders of both teams did the same chant at the same time. In one case, which I will call Case 1, it was planned and both sides were glad to do it, but for slightly different reasons. In the other case, which I will call Case 2, it was actually the cheerleaders for both teams doing the chant. Neither side was happy that the other side was doing the same cheer. What were these cheers and how did these situations arise?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14021
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the particular sport relevant?

Was either event a UConn game?

Was either event a pro sport? College sport? High school?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14022
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were Case 1 and Case 2 the same sport?

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the particular sport relevant? Only in that the second one is a sport with cheerleaders. If you must know, the first is women's basketball and the second is football.

Was either event a UConn game? the first

Was either event a pro sport? College sport? High school? The second was this. This is somewhat relevant. It could have happened at a college game, but it's less likely

Were Case 1 and Case 2 the same sport? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14035
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cheer one of the cheerleaders' actual cheers (as in, one they rehearsed)?

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cheer one of the cheerleaders' actual cheers (as in, one they rehearsed)? yes, possible FA
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14099
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In either case, was one cheer mocking the other?
In either case, was one team's fans/cheerleaders performing the other team's cheer?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the hierarchy here?

Sorry, I'm mostly ignorant about sports. Which probably makes me ideal for this puzzle.

What I meant was: do all of the people involved have a choice to do what they do?
Or do they have to take instructions from others?

Is any of that relevant?

Was the day on which these people got together, and played the game, an important day?

Were the cheers important because:

They were cheering a visitor, rather than the team?
They invented a cheer that was really demoralising?
They invented a cheer that was so great, or so cool, that the words became important later in pop culture?

Do you know this about the team because it's your home town team?

Do you know this about the team because a movie was made about it?

Should I ask
(1) more about the sport or activity
(2) about the personalities of the people involved
(3) about the location

This is fun!
Fiona

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In either case, was one cheer mocking the other? No
In either case, was one team's fans/cheerleaders performing the other team's cheer? Case 1 = no, possibly slight -ish depending on what you mean by "other team's cheer". Case 2 = yope.
What is the hierarchy here? I'm not sure I understand. Read my answer below.

Sorry, I'm mostly ignorant about sports. Which probably makes me ideal for this puzzle.

What I meant was: do all of the people involved have a choice to do what they do? Well, the cheerleaders from Case 2 have instructions on what to cheer. I don't exactly know who chooses the cheers, but I think the squad chooses which cheers they do at a given time from a set of cheers they are required to learn. That being said, if nine of the ten members of the squad want to do a certain cheer, and the tenth doesn't, they have to do it anyway. Hope this helps. As for the fans in Case 1, I wouldn't say all the fans from both sides agreed on it, but those who didn't want to cheer it probably weren't.
Or do they have to take instructions from others? See above

Is any of that relevant? Not really.

Was the day on which these people got together, and played the game, an important day? Well, both were for their own reasons, but not of relevance.

Were the cheers important because:

They were cheering a visitor, rather than the team? Case 1 = Yes (well, both groups of fans were cheering a person from one team, so only one group was cheering a visitor. The other group was cheering one of their own.) Case 2 = Yope for both groups of cheerleaders.
They invented a cheer that was really demoralising? No
They invented a cheer that was so great, or so cool, that the words became important later in pop culture? No

Do you know this about the team because it's your home town team? Well, Case 1 is UConn and case 2 is my former high school (which was my current high school when this took place), so sort of.

Do you know this about the team because a movie was made about it? So no (although there was a TV show made about the college team, but this is irr)

Should I ask
(1) more about the sport or activity <b> No
(2) about the personalities of the people involved For case 1, but DOYD of "personalities"
(3) about the location No

This is fun!
Fiona

Note: As mentioned above, Case 1 and Case 2 are from separate games at separate times. You weren't entirely clear on this, but hopefully this clears it up.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14124
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Case 2 also just cheering for one person?

Case 1: Jen Rizzotti?

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Case 2 also just cheering for one person? No

Case 1: Jen Rizzotti? Yes!!!!

***PARTIAL $POILERR*****

Case 1 was when both the UConn and Hartford fans at the NCAA Tournament started the "Jen Rizzotti" chant at the same time. We planned it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14141
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK:

Case 2: Were both teams' cheerleaders chanting the team's name?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that (no offense towards America and its impressive high school / college athletics culture intended) there only seems to be a limited selection of team names? So that it's likely that two competing teams have the same name?

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK:

Case 2: Were both teams' cheerleaders chanting the team's name? Yesish, rephrase and I'll get it better.

Relevant that (no offense towards America and its impressive high school / college athletics culture intended) there only seems to be a limited selection of team names? So that it's likely that two competing teams have the same name? Oh, in that case you're very much OTRT. You're almost there, just investigate this further.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two teams have the same name? very similar names? Did both teams' cheerleaders chant their team's name?

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two teams have the same name? very similar names? this is closest Did both teams' cheerleaders chant their team's name? yesish
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14275
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it sound like the cheerleaders were chanting their own team's name? But they were actually chanting the other's?

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did it sound like the cheerleaders were chanting their own team's name? Yes But they were actually chanting the other's? Yope

Sorry for the long absence. I hav ebeen having medical issues. Check out my other puzzles too. They've had nothing in a loong time.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4277
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

o hai greg kitteh *hugz hugz* haz misseded yuo, mai deer mr. coke =( iz feeling better? email me with details if you want *more hugz*

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent them to you on Facebook. Now how about asking some questions here and on my other two active puzzles? They've been dead for a month. ,
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14527
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the cheerleaders chanting the name of a player? On their own team? On the other team?

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the cheerleaders chanting the name of a player? No. On their own team? On the other team? N/A

Remember the answer to whether they were chanting their team's name. This is very relevant.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14546
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two team's names nearly identical? Were they homophones? Homonyms?

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two team's names nearly identical? Yesish, DOYD of "name", I suppose. Explore this. Were they homophones? Homonyms? No.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14552
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Name: mascot? Name of the place?
Was one team's place name nearly identical (or exactly identical) to the other team's mascot name?

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Name: mascot? Name of the place? Name of the school would be closest, but still not precise.
Was one team's place name nearly identical (or exactly identical) to the other team's mascot name? No. I'll give you a hint since you're going nowhere. One team's X (where X is something close to the name of the school, but not exactly the name of the school, which you have yet to figure out) is identical to the other team's X. Now what is X?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14566
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

City? State?

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

City? State? No. OTWT. Name was closer.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14579
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the school named after someone? Something? Relevant?

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the school named after someone? Something? Relevant? Irr
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2842
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the school's initials the same? For example, could this scenario have happened if Ohio State played Oregon State or Oklahoma State?

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the school's initials the same? For example, could this scenario have happened if Ohio State played Oregon State or Oklahoma State? BINGO

****REMAINDER OF SPOILER ********

The other "double cheer" was at a high school football game. Spackenkill High School (mine) was playing Saugerties High School, and both cheerleading squads started chanting "SHS We are the Best" at the same time. Initially, their cheerleaders also came out in "SHS" uniforms just as ours did, but then went to change into outfits which said "Sawyers" (their nickname). As for why they brought two sets of cheerleading uniforms to a road game, I really don't know. Maybe they anticipated problems.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: