[Haenlomal] Blowing Up Afghanistan (R... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2011 » [Haenlomal] Blowing Up Afghanistan (Redux) « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Username: Haenlomal

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I swore to myself that I won't run more than one puzzle at a time anymore, but this one was just a bit too good to pass up. It may not be the best material for a lateral puzzle, but I hope you will all find it sufficiently entertaining and diverting...

Title: Blowing Up Afghanistan

Difficulty: Easy to Medium

Type: True Story

Story:
Updated. And now, it's capable of improvement!

To Solve:
What's going on here?

Specialized Knowledge Needed:
None needed really, though some knowledge of the geopolitical history of the Western World will help.

Good luck!
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Heh. I'm interested in colonialism, so I'm definitely into this one! Heh...unfortunately, my puzzle doesn't really have much to do with colonialism directly (the reference is tangential at best), so I hope it does not disappoint!

Anything to do with Afghanistan? Only in a very indirect manner, as evidenced by the puzzle title. The rest of my answers should be interpreted keeping this caveat in mind. The wars there? Foreign involvement? If so:
- 1st Afghan War (1839-42)?
- 2nd Afghan War (1878-80)?
- 3rd Afghan War (1919-20)?
- 4th Afghan War (1980-88)?
- 5th Afghan War (2001-present)? This one
- Alexander the Great?
- A less-well-known expedition/action/incident among the many carried out by the Brits and Russians along the Afghan border between 1800 and 1920?

- Something to do with the Afghans? The Russians? Western powers? Western powers -- no to the rest

- Something to do with technology? Weapons? Drugs? None of these

- Drawn from a news story? Book? None of these
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Does the puzzle refer to an event(s)? This is the closest. Object(s)? A person/s? Is it set IN Afghanistan? Pakistan? The US? Elsewhere? This one -- and to save you from invoking the LTPF list of places, the "event" took place in the UK.

Something is updated. Has it been repaired? Upgraded? This is the closest. Replaced? It can be improved in a physical way? By training? Is the military involved? A government? The government is indeed involved.

FYOI? True story? As indicated by my title post, this is a true story.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Heh. Oops. Is the British govt involved, or a different one? It is the British government that is involved.

Is the ability to improve conferred by the update, or are they separate things? The former
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is this a recurring event? Yes, but be careful of potential mislead! Which was changed in some way? No Does something useful happen during the event?

Depends on your definition of "useful" -- this one is really tough to answer without misleading. Or was something done during it? Something is definitely done during the event, yes. That did not go as planned and thus had to be improved? No Or that worked, but could work better and was thus improved? No

Is the improvement physical (ie, a machine was provided? Or a manufacturing defect fixed)? No Or operational (ie, they rewrote? This one. Added to? the rules for how to run the event? How to operate something? How to do something that involves working with people? There are people involved in the event, but I'm not quite sure they are involved in the way you're thinking. Killing them? No to the rest

Is the military involved? There is mention of the military, yes. Other sectors of the government? The British government? A specific "sector" of the British government is mentioned as well, for svv of "sector". The private sector? No
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Davesnothere

Does this relate to the operation or structure of government? The operation of a specific body in the government in referenced, yes. In Afghanistan? No In the UK? Yes

Does it relate to protocols for occupation? Not really, but... The conduct of war? ...this is much closer. How to respond to terrorism? Yes, subject to my answer to your previous question. How to engage in terrorism? No
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Davesnothere

Does it relate to intelligence operations? Specifically, on-the-ground human intelligence? Updated protocols for responding more quickly and flexibly to evolving terrorist threats? Improved capability to infiltrate human networks? Removal of barriers between organizations that had previously stymied data collection efforts? None of these -- and there may be a hint of a FA lurking here...

It's capable of improvement -- has the process for changing protocols and methods been streamlined? No

Davesnothere, again

Is the western world's long history of getting waxed in Afghanistan relevant? No, but good thinking.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess it's way past time to post a general hint, so here it is:

- The Arts and Entertainment category is very relevant to this puzzle.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel

Arts and Entertainment... Are you actually saying that the game Trivial Pursuit is somehow relevant? No

Or that an artistic/entertaining medium is relevant? Yes If so, movie? TV? Book? Painting? Music? Dance? None of these, though Music and Dance comes closest.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is the arts and entertainment of Afghanistan relevant? No Ditto for Britain? Yes Anything to do with social mores or customs? No The export of Western music, movies, etc to Afghanistan, or of some Afghan product to the West? No

Tommyp

"Blowing Up" phrase relevant? As is usual with all my puzzles, the title bears some relevance to the final solution. Exactly how relevant it is (and hence, how much help it is) to you is another matter altogether... As in demolishing? Yes Enlarging? No

Is it a law that is updated? No Or a procedure? No

A type of performance relevant? Yes The update is relevant to the performers? Yes'ish Those watching? Those watching the performance would certainly notice the update, but I don't know if it can really be said to be all that relevant to them.

Deathateaster

Improvement = the ability to be updated? Yes'ish -- can all updates really can rightly claimed as "improvements"? So the first update could lead to another update? Yes, subject to my previous answer.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tommyp

Fake merchandise involved? No, nothing like this. Good thinking, though.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is "it" some sort of show or parade? No, but... Musical instruments relevant? Yes Flags/banners? No
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fuhad

Software update to missile guiding system, Resulting in less civilian casualties. No, nothing like this...remember, both dancing and music is involved!

Galfisk

Wind/brass instruments relevant? ("blowing up") Well, wind/brass instruments were most likely involved in the production of the relevant music, but it has nothing to do with "blowing up". A concert? No Orchestra? This was involved, yes. Marching band? No Is "it" a specific piece of music? An instrument? A performance? No to all -- and I think you may be working under a FA.

Tommyp

So music is only close? It's not really any music performance? Actually, it IS a type of "music performance".

Music is only considered "close" because it is a bit too ambiguous. Identifying the specific type of musical performance relevant to the puzzle would help and should clear up some of the confusion I've been noticing.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Explosives involved in any way? No
Any type of recording equipment relevant? Well, the relevant musical performance in the puzzle was recorded, but other than that, no.
Opera/ballet/theatre/similar relevant? Theatre is very relevant, indeed. Well done. So you think you finally know what type of musical performance was happening? =)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel

A musical? Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

And on this note, it may be an appropriate place for a brief...

RECAP

Something ("it") has been updated. As a result this update, it is now capable of improvement. This is what is known so far about "it".

1) It has something to do with the British government.
2) It has nothing to do with the export of British culture to Afghanistan.
3) While "it" itself is not a musical, it is very closely tied to with a musical that was performed in the UK. The exact nature of this tie remains a mystery thus far.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink

It "it" a recording of the musical? Or an equipment on which the musical was recorded / played / examined? No to all
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is "it" part of/an addition to the performance of a musical? Yes Can it be said that "it" happens? No Or that "it" is being done? No

Computerization/automation relevant? No
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tommyp

Was "it" something that was used on stage in the musical? No, but...
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

It "it" something outside the stage, but still part of the performance? Yope Lighting relevant? No Orchestra? No Something backstage? No

Rabrab

I bet you've forgotten me. But I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! Nope, I haven't forgotten you. Welcome back, Barbara. :-)

Is "It" someone or some position that was referred to in the musical? No, but...

Will determining what the musical is? was? be helpful? This is strictly speaking not necessary, but having said that, identifying the musical in question certainly wouldn't hurt.

Is "it" Parliament? This is the closest -- dig a bit deeper. The Prime Minister? If Yes, the person who is Prime Minister? or something to do with the office of Prime Minister? No to the rest.

Noobdogg

Putting this one in limbo for now Haen. Fish it out when you're back :-) My apologies for abandoning my duties for so long. I should be back more often now.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Was the government angered by the musical? No Or did the musical help the government in some way? No
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is "it" H/A/M? No Anything to do with censorship/regulation? Depends...it may conceivably have something to do with censorship or regulation, but this is by no means its only function. Is the subject of the musical relevant? Only very peripherally relevant The cast and/or crew? Yes, and to save you from asking the obvious follow up questions, one specific cast member is relevant to the puzzle at hand. The audience? No Is the musical satirical? Good question, I'm not quite certain, so I'll answer this question in the following manner: I don't know if I would personally classify this musical as "satirical", but satire definitely plays a major role in it.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is the cast member the star of the show? Not really, but... Does he play a major character? {...Yes, he's definitely a major character} Secondary character? No Extra? No Foil? No Antagonist? Protagonist? This isn't really the sort of musical that lends itself to neat classifications of antagonists and protagonists. The character in question plays a bit of both over the course of the musical. Relevant? It definitely helps to flesh out the story, but strictly speaking you don't need this information to solve the puzzle.

Was the musical produced post 9/11? YES - good question! Is it about the invasion? No, but... The Taliban? No, but... Does it reference any of these things? YES - good question!

This is a pretty good breakthrough. Shouldn't be too long now.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is the failure to catch Bin Laden of relevance? No Military intelligence (in the sense of an oxymoron)? No Is reference made in the musical (perhaps as an exercise for the viewer) to improvements that have been or should be made in governmental oversight? Yes Military operations? Yes

Is the musical intended to simply be viewed, or is it participatory in some way? The former
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is the protagonist American? Afghan? Other? The protagonist is pro-British Is he pro-American? Pro-Taliban? Other? The protagonist is pro-British

Does Murphy's Law come into play? No

Balin

Is the timing of the British entrance into the war in Afghanistan relevant? Yes Is the protagonist in the military? Not sure...but irrelevant in any case. Is the "it" an object? No A prop? No Is it used by the military? No

Just a lil' note of irony: Now that I've posted this, my very first post and my nearly-3000th are in the same puzzle. My belated congratulations...and I note that your post count is considerably higher than 3000 now. :-)

Special thanks to Balin, for without his help, I would not have been able to regenerate this puzzle. So ladies and gentlemen, please give Balin a hand!
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14081
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the musical itself that was updated? The cast? The plot? The language?

Are any subplots relevant?

Does the play involve war?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" a part of the Government? Of the military? The military structure of command?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Was it the musical itself that was updated? This one...or at least, one particular number in it The cast? The plot? The language? No to the rest, though I'm quite sure the musical in question has been performed by many different casts!

Are any subplots relevant? No

Does the play involve war? Not really -- while there is mention of the concept of war, it is a very minor aspect of the overall musical

Rbruma

Is "it" a part of the Government? Yes Of the military? The military structure of command? No to the rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14181
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they replace one song with another? Did they edit the lyrics of the original song? The tune?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they replace one song with another? Did they edit the lyrics of the original song? This one The tune?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14207
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the original lyrics refer to war? To Britain? To Afghanistan?
Same questions for revised lyrics, please?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Did the original lyrics refer to war? Yes To Britain? Yes To Afghanistan? No
Same questions for revised lyrics, please? Yes, Yes, and Yes, respectively.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14232
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the original lyrics refer to Britain's opponent in another war? (Do we need to figure out which war?) And the reference was changed to the Brit/Afghan war?
Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the Guess-o-meter, how would the following rank?
Gilbert & Sullivan
Lerner & Lowe
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Did the original lyrics refer to Britain's opponent in another war? Yes (Do we need to figure out which war? Not really, but if you figure this out, then a judicious use of Google might help you identify the song in question.) And the reference was changed to the Brit/Afghan war? No

Solitiare

On the Guess-o-meter, how would the following rank?
Gilbert & Sullivan This is a very good guess, for the musical in question indeed came from the inspired minds of Gilbert and Sullivan. Well done. :-)
Lerner & Lowe
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14335
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, sadly, know very little about G&S musicals. The only ones I can think of right now are Pirates of Penzance and HMS Pinafore -- is it one of these?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And if Pinafore, is it the one that starts "When I was a lad, I served a term..."?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4153
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does one need to know anything about G&S musicals to solve the puzzle? or about G&S themselves?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

I, sadly, know very little about G&S musicals. Sorry to hear that! The only ones I can think of right now are Pirates of Penzance and HMS Pinafore -- is it one of these? No

Solitiare

And if Pinafore, is it the one that starts "When I was a lad, I served a term..."? No

Galfisk

Does one need to know anything about G&S musicals to solve the puzzle? Strictly speaking no, but that said, knowing their style of musical certainly helps or about G&S themselves? Same as previously answer
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Mikado? "I've got a little list" would seem to lend itself to updating.
So would "The Major-General's song" but that is from "Pirates."
Iolanthe? Princess Ida? etc, etc.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Mikado? "I've got a little list" would seem to lend itself to updating.
So would "The Major-General's song" but that is from "Pirates."
Iolanthe? This one -- well done! Princess Ida? etc, etc.
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah! Are we looking for a particular song from Iolanthe? Maybe one of my favorites, "The Sentry's Song." (Every lad and every gal/Who's born into the world alive/Is either a little liberal/Or a little conservative.)
Or the one about the Highly Susceptible Chancellor?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solitiare

Ah! Are we looking for a particular song from Iolanthe? Yes Maybe one of my favorites, "The Sentry's Song." (Every lad and every gal/Who's born into the world alive/Is either a little liberal/Or a little conservative.) Though thoroughly delightful, this wasn't the song in question
Or the one about the Highly Susceptible Chancellor? Alas, no
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"In Good Queen Bess's Glorious Days"?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solitare

"In Good Queen Bess's Glorious Days"? That's the one, sung by Lord Mountararat and the Chorus. Though the song title is "When Britain Really Ruled the Waves".

Shouldn't been too long now...the lyrics of this song should crack this puzzle wide open.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14436
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they change the line "When Wellington thrashed Bonaparte" to something referring to Afghanistan? (That's the only line I can see that might have been the one...)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Did they change the line "When Wellington thrashed Bonaparte" to something referring to Afghanistan? No. As a matter of fact, they changed it to a reference of Churchill thwarting Hitler.(That's the only line I can see that might have been the one...) Hmmm...this puzzle has gone on long enough, so I'll toss out a small hint: you may want to reconsider what it means to edit a song lyric. Strictly speaking, changing lyrics to a song is not the only way to edit its lyrics...
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they skip part of the original lyrics? add new lines to it?
Is "it" (the one that is now capable of improvement, see a few yards above in the log .. ) the House of Commons? the House of Lords? any other part of the British Parliament? of the British government?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner

Did they skip part of the original lyrics? No add new lines to it? Yes
Is "it" (the one that is now capable of improvement, see a few yards above in the log .. ) the House of Commons? the House of Lords? This one -- or as the song puts it, "the House of Peers" any other part of the British Parliament? of the British government? Only the House of Peers. Well done at any rate.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14505
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they add an entire verse? Verses? Did they extend a verse or two?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Did they add an entire verse? This one Verses? Did they extend a verse or two?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14685
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2011 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they added a verse...about the relevant war? Did the verse mention the House of Peers? Critically?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they added a verse...about the relevant war? Yes...more specifically, the war in Afghanistan Did the verse mention the House of Peers? Not explicitly, but it was implied. Critically? Yes...but explore!

I'll be releasing another recap shortly to help with the final push for this puzzle.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP\RE-FOCUS\HINTS:

Updated. And now, it's capable of improvement!

We have now established that a song, "When Britain Really Ruled the Waves", was updated. And as a result, it can now be said that the House of Peers is capable of improvement. What remains to be solved is why the House of Peers is now capable of improvement as a result of this update -- and on the way there, you may also need to figure out why it wasn't capable of improvement before. Here are some hints/highlights to previously discovered points that may help in the final solution.

1. Those unfamiliar with the song should google up its delightful lyrics. Googling information about the musical behind the song, "Ionathe", while strictly speaking unnecessary, may also prove fruitful.

2. The song was edited by an addition of a verse. There was some changes to the original lyrics as well, but these changes were minor and irrelevant.

3. The new verse references the war in Afghanistan. It is relevant to note that the events in this puzzle took place in 2005. Figuring out rest of the contents of this verse is crucial to the puzzle solution.

Good luck!
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From listening to the song, it seems that it was implied that the lack of intervention of the House of Peers did not impede the government to achieve success, on the contrary. Is this relevant?

If so, was there a political event regarding the war in Afghanistan in which the House of Peers did intervene? Should have to, but refused? In either cases, was it perceived as a good outcome for the government? A bad one?

You said a verse was added -- while keeping all the others (even slightly modified)? In this case, did the music also changed as to permit the insertion of this new verse?

Was Afghanistan mentioned by name or through an allusion ("in our times", "there in Asia" or the like)? Was the current monarch referenced?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emailed
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma

From listening to the song, it seems that it was implied that the lack of intervention of the House of Peers did not impede the government to achieve success, on the contrary. Is this relevant? Only very indirectly relevant

If so, was there a political event regarding the war in Afghanistan in which the House of Peers did intervene? Should have to, but refused? In either cases, was it perceived as a good outcome for the government? A bad one? All questions here are irrelevant

You said a verse was added -- while keeping all the others (even slightly modified)? Yes In this case, did the music also changed as to permit the insertion of this new verse? No, the melody remained the same

Was Afghanistan mentioned by name or through an allusion ("in our times", "there in Asia" or the like)? It was mentioned by name Was the current monarch referenced? No, but...

Rbruma, again

Emailed

And responded to. While not the full solution, a massive part of the solution was uncovered. Feel free to post that link in the puzzle at your leisure.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I've discovered only the added verse but not the solution, I will stay out of this. Maybe other puzzlers will be more inspired than myself or the host will decide to $poil, at the host's discretion
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very well, in that case I shall provide the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeUAWXUw_iI

Now then...anyone care to make the final lateral leap to put this puzzle to rest?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14907
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The intro to the song says that the HoP is "not susceptible to any improvement at all." Relevant?
The extra verse makes fun of the US (with good reason, I might add). Relevant?
Is the line "And Britain faithfully obeys" relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

The intro to the song says that the HoP is "not susceptible to any improvement at all." Relevant? Very much so
The extra verse makes fun of the US (with good reason, I might add). Relevant? No'ish, but...
Is the line "And Britain faithfully obeys" relevant? Very much so. :-)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14911
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting...it's like the reverse of the American Revolution: Britain is subject to the United States!
Hang on...is that relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting...it's like the reverse of the American Revolution: Britain is subject to the United States! I suppose that's one possible interpretation...
Hang on...is that relevant? Sadly, no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14926
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"And Britain faithfully obeys"...

Is it the House of Peers' inaction which is capable of improvement? Is the United States relevant to the improvement at all?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

"And Britain faithfully obeys"...

Is it the House of Peers' inaction which is capable of improvement? Is the United States relevant to the improvement at all?

This is close enough for me to justify a...

********** SPOILER **********

According to Lord Mountararat, the House of Peers is "not susceptible to any improvement at all". However, according to the updated version of the song "When Britain Really Ruled the Waves", Britain now "faithfully" (read: blindly) follows a foreign power (the States) in all things "from blowing up Afghanistan and irritating France". It can now thus be argued that the House of Peers is no longer "not susceptible" to any improvement: in other words, it's now capable of improvement.

Thanks for playing everyone, and a bonus star to Balin for sticking through to the end of this puzzle. May your rays shine brightly. :P

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: