[gregoryuconn] To Gain by Leaps and B... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2011 » [gregoryuconn] To Gain by Leaps and Bounds « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Johnny and Bobby are both students. Johnny is lazy and only does the bare minimum to get by, while Bobby is a very good student, always exceeding expectations, and takes pleasure from learning. Yet each of them are given a choice between two textbooks for them to use for their learning. Johnny elects to use the more challenging textbook, while Bobby goes with the basic, "dummy" textbook. Why would they do this?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Johnny: H/C/M? H/T/M? H/A/M? Same questions for Bobby.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14937
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the class that the textbook is for relevant?
Does the challenging book have answers in the back?
Jvp (Jvp)
Username: Jvp

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they make their chices, in fact, BASED on the relative challengingness of the books? Or based on some other factor?

Have they misunderstood the challengingness of the books?

Are their reasons symmetrical, or related in any way? Or does each have an independent reason unlike the other's reason?

Do they know each other?

Is Johnny an older and very advanced university student (but nevertheless lazy)?

Is Bobby a very young, possibly mentally challenged pupil, who despite working hard and exceeding expectations, nevertheless always needs 'basic' material?
Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the price of the textbooks relevant? e.g. the more challenging one is cheaper, or available 2nd-hand?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4872
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they study the same topic? Are they in the same class? At the same school? Do they know each other? Could they legitimately use the same textbooks? If Johnny was given the easy textbook and Bobby the more challenging, would they trade?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We do need to know whether they are the same age, in the same school or doing equally relevant classwork, I think.

But my first thought was to expand on Balin's query: Are their studies in languages, such as foreign languages or computer languages?

Does one of them need to read Braille?

Your names for them suggest that they're just kids; I'll wait for your response to Kaylee.

Does it matter whether they are
in public school?
in private school?
home schooled?

Jenburdoo and you others have such good questions that I think the only clarification(s) I would ask is:
Are they in the same family?
Brothers?
Father and son?

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note, the first half of the questions all have the same FA. This is clarified below. But I'm not going back through and adding "see below" to all of them. So just know.

Johnny: H/C/M? H/T/M? H/A/M? Same questions for Bobby. Human, Teen/Young Adult male (although girls named Johnny and Bobby could plausibly work too).

Is the class that the textbook is for relevant? FA. Once you clear it up, I will clarify more.
Does the challenging book have answers in the back? Same FA, but irr

Did they make their chices, in fact, BASED on the relative challengingness of the books? Or based on some other factor? Is there such response as "yesishish"? Because there are two different -ishes. One is related to the FA.

Have they misunderstood the challengingness of the books? And this is the other. YES!

Are their reasons symmetrical, or related in any way? Or does each have an independent reason unlike the other's reason? Each has an independent reason, but this could mislead until you clear up the FA

Do they know each other? No, same FA

Is Johnny an older and very advanced university student (but nevertheless lazy)? No.

Is Bobby a very young, possibly mentally challenged pupil, who despite working hard and exceeding expectations, nevertheless always needs 'basic' material? No.

Is the price of the textbooks relevant? e.g. the more challenging one is cheaper, or available 2nd-hand? Irr

Do they study the same topic? Now we can start to fix the FA. Yope. Explore. Are they in the same class? So no At the same school? Irr Do they know each other? still irr, no longer FA now that we know they don't need to go to the same school and that they're not in the same class Could they legitimately use the same textbooks? FA, I will elaborate when resolved If Johnny was given the easy textbook and Bobby the more challenging, would they trade? Depends on what you mean. I can an will answer this more clearly when you resolve the FA.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15082
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 2 textbooks for the same class?
Is the language of the textbooks relevant?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About the topic: Is one studying - I'm just using an example here -
* a history about the space program
while the other is studying
* physics?

Or, to use another example:
* one is studying politics, because he's in debate class
while the other is
* reading biographical material about Presidents?

IOW, are they reading related topics but not the exact same topics?

I want to ask again whether language is relevant.
Are they both studying:

* topics in the English language?
* such as grammar?

* different foreign languages?

* computer languages?

other linguistic studies?

Are they studying in the general area of:
history?
science?
social studies?
health?

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 2 textbooks for the same class? NO! That should clear up the FA. I will answer those questions again below.
Is the language of the textbooks relevant? Assume it's in English. I think it would work in most other languages, but I'm really not sure. One I know would pose a problem, though I'm not sure how they write any textbook on this subject in this language.

About the topic: Is one studying - I'm just using an example here -
* a history about the space program
while the other is studying
* physics?

Or, to use another example:
* one is studying politics, because he's in debate class
while the other is
* reading biographical material about Presidents?

IOW, are they reading related topics but not the exact same topics? It's the same general subject, but one is at a more advanced level. So to use your previous example, it would be more like "Intro to Politics" and "Intermediate Politics". And Johnny is taking the lower course.

I want to ask again whether language is relevant.
Are they both studying:

* topics in the English language?
* such as grammar?

* different foreign languages?

* computer languages? None of these, though it is in some sense a "language". That is not why language may be somewhat relevant though.

other linguistic studies?

Are they studying in the general area of:
history?
science? This is closest
social studies?
health?

And now for the questions that I couldn't answer clearly due to the FA. Words in [brackets] are added in to make the questions clearer.

[Are] the class[es] that the textbook is for relevant? Yes

Did they make their chices, in fact, BASED on the relative challengingness of the books? Yesish Or based on some other factor? Noish/Yope

Have they misunderstood the challengingness of the books? YES!

Are their reasons symmetrical, or related in any way? Or does each have an independent reason unlike the other's reason? The reason to take the course is irr

Do they know each other? <b.>

Could they legitimately use the same textbooks? They could each legitimately use the other textbook that was offered for their course. That is, Bobby could use the advanced textbook in the upper-level course instead of the "dummy" textbook in the same course. And, likewise, Johnny could use the "dummy" textbook in the-lower level course instead of the "smart people" one.

I will reprase "If Johnny was given the easy textbook and Bobby the more challenging, would they trade?"

to say...

If Johnny and Bobby were both in the same class, and Johnny were given the easy textbook and Bobby the more challenging, would they trade? Probably not. Explore this.

Any unanswered questions are either already answered by clearing up the FA, or are still irrelevant.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15148
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two students in the same grade/year? Is the course required for either of them? For a major or minor? Is it an elective?

Are the titles of the textbooks relevant? Is it related to the official names of the classes?

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the two students in the same grade/year? grade itself is irr, except that assuming Bobby and Johnny are taking their respective courses at the same time, they're probably within a couple years of eacoter Is the course required for either of them? For a major or minor? Is it an elective? irr

Are the titles of the textbooks relevant? YES!!!! Is it related to the official names of the classes? The names, yes. Not particularly the official names. In other words, it doesn't matter whether the courses is "Intro to XYZ", "XYZ I", or just "XYZ". But XYZ does matter.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15158
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one of the textbooks something like "Introductory Politics" or "An Introduction to Politics"? But that's meant for the intermediate course?

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one of the textbooks something like "Introductory Politics" or "An Introduction to Politics"? But that's meant for the intermediate course? No, OTWT. Try to find out the subject, generally or specifically speaking. I'm surprised the general subject wasn't mentioned above. Unless you're counting it as "science".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15173
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it for engineering? Computer programming?

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it for engineering? Computer programming? No, OTWT.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said it was a kind of language. Any of these relevant?

body language
sign language
written language
coded language
profane language
Latin
symbolism
poetry/ poetic language
Old English
Another dead language
formality vs informality
regional dialect

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said it was a kind of language. Any of these relevant? No, I said it was in some sense of the word a "language". It is not what one would commonly consider a language, at least not in this sense. One of my former teachers in this (general) subject said it was its own language. That's debat able, though I agree. Think common subjects. I'm shocked nobody's guessed it yet. And the list below is all OTWT.

body language
sign language
written language
coded language
profane language
Latin
symbolism
poetry/ poetic language
Old English
Another dead language
formality vs informality
regional dialect
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15239
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mathematics? A science? Art? The fine arts?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did one of the textbooks have a title containing a word meaning "basic" (like "basic" itself, "elementary", "introductory", etc.)? or the other way around, meaning "complicated" (like "complex", "advanced", etc.)? but this word has another, more specialized meaning?

I'm thinking of, for instance, complex analysis, where "complex" has nothing (well, nothing literally) to do with how complex the subject is to learn.

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mathematics? Yes, no to the other three A science? Art? The fine arts?

Did one of the textbooks have a title containing a word meaning "basic" (like "basic" itself, "elementary", "introductory", etc.)? Yope-ish or yesishish or the other way around, meaning "complicated" (like "complex", "advanced", etc.)? but this word has another, more specialized meaning? Yope-ish or yesishish

I'm thinking of, for instance, complex analysis, where "complex" has nothing (well, nothing literally) to do with how complex the subject is to learn. You're definitely OTRT.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the title contain the word "first" meaning either the highest point of complexity or the starting point?

Principia Mathematica? Principles of Mathematics?

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the title contain the word "first" meaning either the highest point of complexity or the starting point? Potentially, but irr

Principia Mathematica? Principles of Mathematics? No
Chek101 (Chek101)
Username: Chek101

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did one title have the words "String Theory" in it?

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did one title have the words "String Theory" in it? haha no

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I haven't been on much. I should be back now. If anyone wants to try this, go for it. if not, I'll $poyle.

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. I'm just going to end this since we have no interest. I'm leaving the Jew problem up for now, and will post new ones later.

****SPOILER****

Johnny is taking Pre-calculus. He has a choice between "Precalculus With Limits" and "Precalculus Without Limits". Not yet knowing what a "limit" means in math, Johnny believes the second one is so named because it contains more information. So, he buys the first (since he doesn't want to do the work.) Bobby is in Intro to Calculus (or Calc I, it really doesn't matter). He has two books, "Calculus With Limits", or "Calculus Without Limits". Wanting to challenge himself and being unable to imagine how a calculus textbook could possibly not include limits (the math kind), he buys "Calculus Without Limits" to challenge himself. Well, he should have imagined a bit more, since it really didn't talk about limits.
This was based on a true story, since my Precalc book in high school was "Precalculus with Limits". Presumably there was also a "Precalculus Without Limits".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: