[Rbruma] Immortality the hard way Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2011 » [Rbruma] Immortality the hard way « Previous Next »

Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if she is still alive!
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 15649
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"she" = H? A? F? Real person? Fictional? Was she ever alive?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"she" = H? A? F? Yes to all Real person? Yes Fictional? So, no Was she ever alive? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15652
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she alive in [LTPF list of centuries]? In [LTPF list of continents]?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kitteh takes a shot out of left field...Vampirism or blood rituals relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she alive in [LTPF list of centuries]? 18th In [LTPF list of continents]? Europe

kitteh takes a shot out of left field...Vampirism or blood rituals relevant? No to both, but good idea
Tardigradeparty (Tardigradeparty)
Username: Tardigradeparty

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Immortality rituals relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Immortality rituals relevant? No
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she disappear? was she famous?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she disappear? No was she famous? DOYD of famous. I read about her in a book, but I doubt that she is famous but for the events that led to this puzzle
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she frozen?

did she die? was she the victim of a catastrophe? was she immortalised? in song? a book? painting? story? poem? nursery rhyme?

was she a saint?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS is she someone who survived a series of accidents or events?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she frozen? No, but sort of OTRT

did she die? Yes, no to the rest was she the victim of a catastrophe? was she immortalised? in song? a book? painting? story? poem? nursery rhyme?

was she a saint?

is she someone who survived a series of accidents or events?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she frozen in a glacier? an avalanche? a lake?

a laboratory?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she frozen in a glacier? an avalanche? a lake?

a laboratory?

No to all. She was "preserved", but not through freezing. Discovering why she was preserved, for how long and what is the meaning of the puzzle statement will solve the puzzle
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 490
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she mummified?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she mummified? She was embalmed, but this is not so relevant
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um, this is a long shot, because I don't know about any embalming, but does it have to do with Lady Bathory?

Post Number: 4875
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope not, Fiona kitteh, or else Rbruma misinterpreted my question about blood above =P *snuggles Fiona kitteh and givz cheezburgur* Glad to haz yuo back!
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long she was preserved:
-more than 20 years?
-more than 50 years?
-more than 100 years?
-more than 200 years?
-more than 500 years?
-more than 1000 years?
-more than 10,000 years?

Reason she was embalmed relates to-
-science?
-religion?
-medicine?
-politics?
-other cultural reasons?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um, this is a long shot, because I don't know about any embalming, but does it have to do with Lady Bathory? No

How long she was preserved:
-more than 20 years?
-more than 50 years?
-more than 100 years? This one
-more than 200 years? No
-more than 500 years?
-more than 1000 years?
-more than 10,000 years?

Reason she was embalmed relates to-
-science?
-religion?
-medicine?
-politics?
-other cultural reasons? This one, for svv of "cultural"
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15752
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she preserved so well that she looks like she's alive?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she preserved so well that she looks like she's alive? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15758
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've heard of her, but can't remember her name...should I stay out of this one?
Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, she can't be Eva Peron, but was she 'preserved' by her widower, for whatever reason?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've heard of her, but can't remember her name...should I stay out of this one? Drop me an email, just to check if this is the same story

Well, she can't be Eva Peron, but was she 'preserved' by her widower, for whatever reason? No, not by her widower
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15768
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing is, I remember reading something about this -- if it is in fact her -- about 7 years ago, and can't remember any details other than the preservation.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing is, I remember reading something about this -- if it is in fact her -- about 7 years ago, and can't remember any details other than the preservation. In that case, you shouldn't stay out. We already established that for a yet-to-be-established reason she was preserved
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15775
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK.

Was she royalty? Well-known? Well-admired?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she have an unusual medical condition and they wanted to preserve her body for science?

was she made into a waxwork?

was she a saint?

was she preserved by her own family? friends? the state? the church? the scientific community? the entertainment industry? was she what was once known as a freak?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she royalty? Well-known? Well-admired?

was she made into a waxwork?

was she a saint?

was she preserved by her own family? friends? Yope the state? the church? the scientific community? Yope, might mislead the entertainment industry? was she what was once known as a freak? Please rephrase this one, it might be OTRT

All unanswered are a no
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there anything unusual about her appearance? Did she have any special abilities? Did her society believe that she was unusual in some way? immortal?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there anything unusual about her appearance? Did she have any special abilities? Did her society believe that she was unusual in some way? immortal?
No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15796
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she preserved by her own request?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she preserved by her own request? YES!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15809
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she request preservation in her will? Publicly?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15810
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, now I think I remember the story. Sending email.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she request preservation in her will? Publicly? No to both

Replied
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15818
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK then...

Did she request preservation while she was dying? Is her cause of death relevant?

Post Number: 4996
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the cause of death is relevant, was it: natural? unnatural? was she dying of a long illness?
Andy_hornby (Andy_hornby)
Username: Andy_hornby

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she 'on show' somewhere? in amongst other dummies or statue like figures? could I visit the place she is and see her?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK then...

Did she request preservation while she was dying? Unknown and irr Is her cause of death relevant? No

If the cause of death is relevant, was it: natural? unnatural? was she dying of a long illness? Cause of death is irrelevant

is she 'on show' somewhere? Not anymore, very good question! in amongst other dummies or statue like figures? I don't know exactly could I visit the place she is and see her? Nowadays, no

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So she was 'on show', and I could have previously visited the place she was and looked at 'her'?

Is it relevant why she is no longer visible in this way? Is that the explanation of the puzzle statement? i.e. you were pondering if the preserved body still exists intact somewhere now that it is no longer 'on show'?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So she was 'on show', For some period of time, yes and I could have previously visited the place she was and looked at 'her'? Yes

Is it relevant why she is no longer visible in this way? Yes Is that the explanation of the puzzle statement? Part of it, there's a bit more to discover i.e. you were pondering if the preserved body still exists intact somewhere now that it is no longer 'on show'? Yope

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she on view in an open public place? (outdoors?), in a public building? museum?

Was part(s) of her rigged to move as if she were alive?

Was she 'on show' without the authorities knowing? and it was only when the truth was discovered that she was removed?

Post Number: 5010
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Human zoos" relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she on view in an open public place? (outdoors?), in a public building? museum? This one - it was the Manchester Museum of Natural History

Was part(s) of her rigged to move as if she were alive?

Was she 'on show' without the authorities knowing? and it was only when the truth was discovered that she was removed?

"Human zoos" relevant?

All unanswered are a no

Small caveat here: she was eventually preserved at the museum, history however doesn't tell us if she was on public display or just 'stored' somewhere in the museum's basements

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I work in Manchester.

Was she from Manchester? NW England? UK?

Did she think that there was a possibility she could be brought to life in the future? Are religious views relevant here?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she from Manchester? Yes NW England? UK?

Did she think that there was a possibility she could be brought to life in the future? No Are religious views relevant here? No

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If she didn't think there was a possibility she could be brought to life in the future, did she think there was another benefit from her body being preserved? to other people? to her?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If she didn't think there was a possibility she could be brought to life in the future, did she think there was another benefit from her body being preserved? Yes! to other people? No to her? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15837
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she want her beauty to be remember for ages to come?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she want her beauty to be remember for ages to come? No

HINT: She was afraid of something

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aha! was she 'preserved' to make sure she was dead?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aha! was she 'preserved' to make sure she was dead? We have a winner!

******* SPOILER *******

Hannah Beswick (1680 - 1758) of Cheetwood Hall, Manchester, out of fear of being buried alive, left her doctor, Charles White, 25.000 pounds on condition that he visit her regularly after her death. Accordingly, after her death, Dr. White embalmed her and kept her in a coffin in her house, checking on her status each year, on the anniversary of her death, accompanied by a witness.

Dr. White himself died in 1813 and Miss Beswick was eventually moved to the Manchester Museum of Natural History. When the museum transferred to new premises, the woman was again examined and the trustees came to the unanimous decision that she was unmistakably dead, so she was buried in the Manchester General Cemetery on July 28th, 1868, 110 years after her death. No stone marked the grave, so the location is lost to us.

I wonder though if she is still alive :-)

Thanks to all for playing and to Andy for the final solve.

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: