[Solitaire] A Darwin scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2011 » [Solitaire] A Darwin scrund « Previous Next »

Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She had a scrund about Darwin's theory, although a few minutes with the aid of modern technology would have proved it wrong.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4911
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She = H/A/F? She = Soli kitteh? (here, can haz cheezburgur) =)
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She = H/A/F? She = Soli kitteh? (here, can haz cheezburgur) =) Thx! Yes, she is HAF, though F is n.r.
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh-oh. BLOOPER. No, she is not me, but another HAF. Sorry for dumb misunderstanding!

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a famous H/A/F? Still alive? is she related to soli kitteh? is she dead? if so did she not have access to modern technology at the time of the scrund because it hadn't been invented yet?

my new puzzel can haz soli kitteh kweshunz?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

modern technology - computers? internet? lab equipment?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a famous H/A/F? Still alive? is she related to soli kitteh? is she dead? No to all. if so did she not have access to modern technology at the time of the scrund because it hadn't been invented yet? Puzzle is contemporary, so it had been inveted, yes.

my new puzzel can haz soli kitteh kweshunz? We shall see!

modern technology - computers? internet?Yes and yes lab equipment? No
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checking --> Darwin's theory = evolution by natural selection?

More specifically, does the scrund relate to:
Microevolution (small gene changes within a population)?
Macroevolution (the evolution of new species)?
The descent of man from apes?
Genes?
The logistics of how evolution works?
Terminology he used?
Anything to do with Wallace (who published essentially the same idea at roughly the same time as Darwin)?
The length of time between Darwin's travels and his publications?
Darwin's personal life?
His voyage on the HMS Beagle?
His religious views?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checking --> Darwin's theory = evolution by natural selection? Yes

More specifically, does the scrund relate to:
Microevolution (small gene changes within a population)?
Macroevolution (the evolution of new species)?
The descent of man from apes?
Genes?
The logistics of how evolution works?
Terminology he used?
Anything to do with Wallace (who published essentially the same idea at roughly the same time as Darwin)?
The length of time between Darwin's travels and his publications? No to all, though 'publication' does have some relevance.
Darwin's personal life? Yes
His voyage on the HMS Beagle? No
His religious views?Yope
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his wife relevant? One of his children?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his wife relevant?Yes! One of his children?No

Post Number: 4976
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emma Darwin, née Wedgwood, was her husband's first cousin. Relevant? Is it relevant that they had ten children, three of whom died young? Relevant that another cousin, the Reverend John Allen Wedgwood, officiated? Relevant that her religious views were Unitarianism?

kaylee kitteh could nawt maik cheezburgur relevunt...*haz a sad*
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that his wife was his cousin relevant?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emma Darwin, née Wedgwood, was her husband's first cousin. Relevant? Is it relevant that they had ten children, three of whom died young? Relevant that another cousin, the Reverend John Allen Wedgwood, officiated? No to all.Relevant that her religious views were Unitarianism? Yope

kaylee kitteh could nawt maik cheezburgur relevunt...*haz a sad*
Awwww!
The fact that his wife was his cousin relevant? No
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 15802
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Darwin's religious views, and his wife's, are yope-relevant...hmmm...

Are their beliefs before Darwin proposed his theory relevant? After?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 487
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Darwin's religious views, and his wife's, are yope-relevant...hmmm...

Are their beliefs before Darwin proposed his theory relevant?Yes After? umm..noish/yopish - and mostly hers
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15812
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his wife believe his theory?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his wife believe his theory?Difficult to answer. Not really relevant, but my acquaintance believed that she did not, which was part of her scrund.

Is that clear, or am I getting everybody confused with the 'she's' and 'hers'?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15834
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did either Darwin's or his wife's religious views change after the discovery? Because of the discovery?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 493
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did either Darwin's or his wife's religious views change after the discovery? Because of the discovery?irr
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to recall that Darwin's wife was afraid that his theory would get him kicked out of the church (or some similar negative spiritual repercussion), and so urged him not to publish it. Relevant?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 496
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to recall that Darwin's wife was afraid that his theory would get him kicked out of the church (or some similar negative spiritual repercussion), and so urged him not to publish it. Relevant?This was part of the scrund she had, and it may be true, but the scrund went a bit further.
I think we are closing in on it!
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Free hint: Mrs. Darwin is relevant, but not because of anything she did or urged him to do.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she relevant for something Darwin did to her? Did involving her? Said involving her? Did because of her? Urged her to do?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 512
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she relevant for something Darwin did to her? Did involving her? Said involving her? Did because of her? More like something he didn't do because of her Urged her to do? Everything else irr.
Andy_hornby (Andy_hornby)
Username: Andy_hornby

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

without knowing, or indeed checking what a scrund is exactly, sorry. (i'm reading between the lines that it's a made up word used to signify some sort of incorrect thought/assumption.) - is it related to Darwin delaying the publication of his work?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
without knowing, or indeed checking what a scrund is exactly, sorry. (i'm reading between the lines that it's a made up word used to signify some sort of incorrect thought/assumption.) Yes, that's it- is it related to Darwin delaying the publication of his work? Yes!
Docd (Docd)
Username: Docd

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Darwin only published On the Origin of Species, years after he wrote it, because someone else was going to publish essentially the same theory. Relevant?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Darwin only published On the Origin of Species, years after he wrote it, because someone else was going to publish essentially the same theory. Relevant?No. The scrund has to do with Darwin's wife. At any rate, what you have said is basically true (unless I have a serious scrund!) and a scrund is a mistaken belief.
Docd (Docd)
Username: Docd

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think Darwin waited for his wife to die before publishing?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 532
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think Darwin waited for his wife to die before publishing? YES

**********SPOILER********
She (call her Joan) confidently informed me that Darwin, in deference to his wife's religious beliefs, did not publish the Origin during her lifetime. Although I'm not an experrt on Darwin's life & times, that didn't sound quite right to me. When I got home, I googled Emma Wedgewood Darwin and discovered that she had outlived her husband by several years. Had I known Joan a little better, or been more sure of the facts, I would have challenged her on the spot.

The troubling thing about all this is that Joan is a retired high-school science teacher!

Soli's first law for prospective scientists: Always check your data!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: