[Balin] And the house on the rock sto... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2011 » [Balin] And the house on the rock stood flat « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 15755
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old way: faster, but less efficient.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't even know where to start...

Did someone? (if so, one person? more than one? H/A/M?F?) do? something? faster? but less efficient?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4923
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...while the house on the sand went crash when the waves came in?

foolish men and wise men relevant?

I haven't thought of that song in years...lol. ^.^

also, balin kitteh's email haz nawt shown up yet =(
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15757
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't even know where to start...

Did someone? (if so, one person? This, and it's me. more than one? H/A/M?F?) do? Yes something? Yes faster? but less efficient? I used to do this something one way, and it was faster but less efficient. Now I do it a different way that is more efficient but takes more time.

...while the house on the sand went crash when the waves came in? I'm pleasantly surprised that you got the reference. My sister kept mis-singing the line "And the house on the rock stood firm" as "stood flat," and that's become an inside joke in my family.

foolish men and wise men relevant? No

I haven't thought of that song in years...lol. ^.^ I haven't heard it in a while either.

also, balin kitteh's email haz nawt shown up yet =( I forgot to send it, but have since done so.

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Received and replied =) Also, I'm kind've surprised I got the reference too, as it's probably been over 15 years since I've thought of that song...o.o but only JUST over, I am 26 after all, hehe.

*ponders*
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the something related to college? food/drink? communication? transport? daily routine?

Relevant why you changed your way of doing it? Was there a relevant event that made you change it?

Did the old way take seconds? minutes? hours? days? months? years?
Same questions for the new way.

By more efficient, do you mean that the results are better? That you avoid "side effects" (such as waste)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15762
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the something related to college? food/drink? communication? transport? daily routine? None of these

Relevant why you changed your way of doing it? Not really Was there a relevant event that made you change it? Again, not really

Did the old way take seconds? This-ish minutes? hours? days? months? years?
Same questions for the new way. Just over a minute, same slight -ish

By more efficient, do you mean that the results are better? Yope That you avoid "side effects" (such as waste)? No
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the new way save energy? cost less? expend less physical effort?

is this something you do more than once a day? roughly once a day? once a week? once a month? once a year?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15784
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the new way save energy? cost less? expend less physical effort? None of these

is this something you do more than once a day? roughly once a day? once a week? once a month? once a year? It can be any of these, depending on the person. For me it's usually a few times a month.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Related to your finances?

I used to sing that song a lot! I was worse, though. I used to get the houses mixed up, so the wise man would build the foolish man's house or the house on the sand would stand firm or whatever I felt like at the time. XD

Post Number: 4961
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

see now, if a kitteh wuz singin it, howse would be made of cheezburgurz...*nomz*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15788
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Related to your finances? Nope. Figure out what I was doing first; that'll help you along.

I used to sing that song a lot! I was worse, though. I used to get the houses mixed up, so the wise man would build the foolish man's house or the house on the sand would stand firm or whatever I felt like at the time. XD I will be sharing this information with my sister -- thanks for the laugh!
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4551
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you: eating? Drinking? Creating something? Destroying something? Preparing something? Is an object involved? A substance? Food? Another person? Something else living? A computer? Do you need to do it less often using the new method? Is it done: at home? work? Public place? Outdoors? Any particular time of day? Or year? Or week? Writing involves? speaking? Listening? Singing? Seeing something?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15795
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you: eating? Drinking? Creating something? Destroying something? Preparing something? Is an object involved? A substance? Food? Another person? Something else living? A computer? This is the only thing relevant. Everything else is either a No or irrelevant. Do you need to do it less often using the new method? Is it done: at home? work? Public place? Outdoors? Any particular time of day? Or year? Or week? Writing involves? speaking? Listening? Singing? Seeing something?

Post Number: 4981
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOLcats relevant? ICHC network? or iz dat guess moar liek, pai no atenshun tu teh Ceilin Cat behind teh curtainz...kaylee kitteh goin off awn kitteh-tangentz againz...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15801
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOLcats relevant? ICHC network? No and No or iz dat guess moar liek, pai no atenshun tu teh Ceilin Cat behind teh curtainz...kaylee kitteh goin off awn kitteh-tangentz againz... yesh, yoo iz...

Post Number: 4985
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did nawt evun haz cheezburgur tonite...had cheez awn chickun...chickun had breaded stuf an tomato sawce...*nomz* but cheezburgur still betturur. plz tu recat oar hintz oar sumthin? iz confuseded...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15814
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Just think of some things people use computers for (not THOSE things; this puzzle is G-rated) and you should hit the right one.

Post Number: 4994
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

e-mail? typing documents? researching?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15816
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

e-mail? typing documents? researching? None of these
Andy_hornby (Andy_hornby)
Username: Andy_hornby

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

chat? video conference (as opposed to just voice)? playing games?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15823
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

chat? video conference (as opposed to just voice)? playing games? This one, and to help you all along, it was this game.

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you learn to pass the ball instead of running the ball? I had a fun 10 minutes but didn't manage to complete a single pass - I didn't really get what I was supposed to do :-S
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15825
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you learn to pass the ball instead of running the ball? This is part of it, but not the main bit. I had a fun 10 minutes but didn't manage to complete a single pass - I didn't really get what I was supposed to do :-S To pass (the ball is thrown automatically at the snap), you have to run forward, get on the space with a red bullseye, wait for the ball to come, catch it, and run.

Focus more on running, specifically.

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, I got that - but the square with the target was always occupied by one of the defence. I kept getting to the square below the target and then not able to catch the ball. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

Anyways... Did you previously just run in a straight line forward, and then switched to dodging by moving horizontally?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15826
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, I got that - but the square with the target was always occupied by one of the defence. I kept getting to the square below the target and then not able to catch the ball. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

Anyways... Did you previously just run in a straight line forward, and then switched to dodging by moving horizontally? Yep! That went quickly.

**********SPOILER**********

When I first found the game Bugs/Daffy Football, I wasn't very good at it. On every play, I would call a running play, find the most open column, and hold the "up" button down to speed forward. This took very little time off the game clock, but meant I ended up running a lot of plays. Now that I've gotten better at it, I can dodge horizontally and get a lot more yardage per play, but it takes more time on the game clock.

Nice quick solve Andy -- enjoy the game! New puzzle below (if I can think of one).

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, and thanks for setting the puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: