[Balin] Buy, buy American pie Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2011 » [Balin] Buy, buy American pie « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 15994
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A tribute ended in a squashing.
Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Squashing literal or figurative?
Real life? FYOI? FSEI?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15995
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Squashing literal or figurative? Literal
Real life? FYOI? FSEI? This
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4652
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Squashing as in: flattening? Being pelted with squash? Playing a game of squash? Squashing of: person? Object? Idea?
Tribute: to person? Object? Event? Idea? Organization? Deity?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16002
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Squashing as in: flattening? This Being pelted with squash? Playing a game of squash?
Squashing of: person? Three anthropomorphic animals Object? Idea?
Tribute: to person? A person and a creation of his Object? Event? Idea? Organization? Deity?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Bye, bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry"?
Andy_hornby (Andy_hornby)
Username: Andy_hornby

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are cartoon characters relevant here? disney?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16005
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Bye, bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry"? Good song but irrel. The title is a Capitol Steps parody of that song, but that fact is also irrel

are cartoon characters relevant here? Yes, DOYD of "cartoon" disney? No

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stop motion animation characters i.e. plasticine or clay? computer animated characters? puppets?

Was the tribute a song? an impersonation?

Post Number: 5111
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Capitol Steps at all relevant? *needs to learn more about Capitol Steps in order to keep up with you and Greg lol*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16006
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stop motion animation characters i.e. plasticine or clay? computer animated characters? puppets? No to all

Was the tribute a song? an impersonation? Neither, with an -ish on "impersonation"

Is Capitol Steps at all relevant? No *needs to learn more about Capitol Steps in order to keep up with you and Greg lol*
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems every time you post a puzzle, my friend, I have another song looping round in my mind.

Were the characters animated? Or was it more like a comic strip?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the squashing accidental? Was it done with an object? More than one object? Underneath something heavy? A 16-ton weight? Were they hurt? Killed? Destroyed?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Tree Friends relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16011
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems every time you post a puzzle, my friend, I have another song looping round in my mind. Not sure whether to laugh or apologize... =)

Were the characters animated? Or was it more like a comic strip? It was a comic strip

Was the squashing accidental? Yes Was it done with an object? Yes More than one object? No Underneath something heavy? I think these are considered heavy, but be careful! A 16-ton weight? No Were they hurt? Killed? Destroyed? No to all

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are the characters very small in the frame of the puzzle? is it relevant what type of animals they are? are they three of the same animal? do the three belong to a bigger group of anthropomorphic animals? do the animals have superpowers? are they considered to be adults in the comic? is the comic primarily aimed at young boys?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16018
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are the characters very small in the frame of the puzzle? Not sure what you mean by this
is it relevant what type of animals they are? No are they three of the same animal? No do the three belong to a bigger group of anthropomorphic animals? No, if I understand correctly, which I may not do the animals have superpowers? No are they considered to be adults in the comic? Yes is the comic primarily aimed at young boys? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4665
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the squashing done for comic effect? Did they walk around being flat afterwards? Or did they rebound? Were they squashed under something living?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16024
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the squashing done for comic effect? Yes Did they walk around being flat afterwards? No; it was just a gag for one strip Or did they rebound? They probably weren't flattened in the first place Were they squashed under something living? No

HINT: You'll get farther by focusing on the tribute.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tribute to person: profession relevant? If so:
Artistic? Musical?
Agriculture? Hunter? Fisherman?
Banking? Financial? Real estate?
Clerical? Administrative? Receptionist?
Computer related? Hardware? Information technology?
Construction? Craftsman?
Criminal? Jailbird?
Education? Academic Research?
Entertainment? Media?
Executive? Management?
Hospitality? Travel? Food Service?
Law enforcement? Police?
Legal Services?
Manufacturing? Distributions?
Medical? Health Services?
Politics? Government? Military?
Sales? Marketing? Tradesman?
Religion?
Retired person? Occupational disease?
Sports?
Student? Trainee?
Teaching? Child care?
Technical? Science? Engineering?
Transportation?
Unemployed?
Writer? Editor? Translator? Interpreter?
Other?

Creation: building? Machine? Structure? Something heavy? Something light?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a tribute to a dead person? a cartoonist? a journalist?

a politician? showbiz personality? sportsman?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16029
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tribute to person: profession relevant? If so: See below Creation: Also see below

was it a tribute to a dead person? Yes a cartoonist? Yes; No to rest a journalist? a politician? showbiz personality? sportsman?

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a tribute to walt disney?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16044
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a tribute to walt disney? No

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm screwed then because I don't think I could name another without googling :-)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16048
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm screwed then because I don't think I could name another without googling :-) Go ahead and Google away.

HINT: This is a tribute, in a comic strip, to a cartoonist. So the cartoonist likely wrote a comic strip as well.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 800
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the 3 squashed animals the creation of the dead cartoonist?
Did the living cartoonist routinely "squash" animals or people in his comic? Did the dead cartoonist?

Was it symbolic - something along the lines of the cartoon animals being destroyed because their creator has died?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16052
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the 3 squashed animals the creation of the dead cartoonist? No
Did the living cartoonist routinely "squash" animals or people in his comic? Yes (only yopishly relevant) Did the dead cartoonist? No

Was it symbolic - something along the lines of the cartoon animals being destroyed because their creator has died? No, nothing like this.

For some reason, my computer won't let me copy/paste, so I had to type the questions out. Odd.

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, courtesy of wikipedia - is it any of these people? (without checking which are deceased)

Kyle Baker?
Alan Davis?
Steve Ditko?
Will Eisner?
Frank Miller?
Jack Cole?
Jeff Smith?
Jim McDermott?
Bob Kane?
Bill Finger?
Jack Kirby?
Joe Simon?
Erik Larsen?
Shawn McManus?
Mike Mignola?
James O'Barr?
Paul Palnik?
Dave Sim?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16055
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, courtesy of wikipedia - is it any of these people? No. Remember, think comic strips.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3786
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles Schulz?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16058
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles Schulz? Yes, this comic was a tribute to Schulz.

I'll make it a little bit easier; figure out how the tribute and squashing were connected and I'll $poyle.

Post Number: 5136
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

football relevant? (Lucy, Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown never being able to kick that football...)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16062
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

football relevant? Nope (Lucy, Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown never being able to kick that football...)

BIG HINT: What were they squashed with?

Post Number: 5137
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a pumpkin? the Great Pumpkin? (a pumpkin is a squash, but that'd be a HORRIBLE pun...)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16064
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a pumpkin? the Great Pumpkin? (a pumpkin is a squash, but that'd be a HORRIBLE pun...) Neither, and yes it would

Post Number: 5140
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a piano? a blanket? is Schroeder relevant? Linus?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16068
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a piano? a blanket? is Schroeder relevant? Linus? None of these

Don't think normal.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a kennel? a kite?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16076
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a kennel? a kite? No...

BIG HINT: Just say what the SHAPE of the object was.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, squashed obviously
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16081
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, squashed obviously Other object.

You know what... You probably have enough to

**********SPOILER**********

The Pearls Before Swine comic strip on Nov. 27 was a tribute to Charles Schulz; the strip used the same dialogue and situation as a Peanuts strip for the first few panels, but ended with the main characters being squashed by a Charlie Brown-shaped Macy's balloon.

Link: http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2011/11/27

Nice work everyone.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: