[RedWine]'s Christmas. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2012 » [RedWine]'s Christmas. « Previous Next »

Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Every Christmas I use an item, which people do not use for decades. I use my own one only in the Christmas season, although I sometimes use someone else's for a couple of days in summer.
What is this and what do I use it for during Christmas?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you mean some people have them and haven't used them for decades?

or do you mean that people in general haven't used them for decades?

is the reason you use someone else's in summer instead of your own relevant?

is it an object? a place? a concept?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the object related to preparing some kind of food? Are the Christmas traditions relevant? Is the object larger than a golf ball? Breadbox? Microwave? Refrigerator? Car?

Do most people have this item in their household?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
do you mean some people have them and haven't used them for decades? Some people may have them, but do not use them anyway.

or do you mean that people in general haven't used them for decades? But mostly this.

is the reason you use someone else's in summer instead of your own relevant? May be helpful.

is it an object? This. a place? a concept?

Rbruma:
Is the object related to preparing some kind of food? No. Are the Christmas traditions relevant? DOYD of Christmas tradition. Is the object larger than a golf ball? Yes. Breadbox? Similar, but its sizes may slightly vary. Microwave? No. Refrigerator? No. Car? No.

Do most people have this item in their household? No. At least not in typical European or American household.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it quite an old-fashioned thing? has it generally been replaced by something more modern? a new invention?

or is there simply no need for them any more?

are you unable to use your own in the summer? or do you need two and that's why you borrow one?

or do the other people need their own over Christmas and that's why you have to use your own?

Christmas decorations relevant? people visiting? parties?

do you use it for the same thing in summer and at Christmas?

do you use it for the thing it was originally intended to do?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
is it quite an old-fashioned thing? Yes. has it generally been replaced by something more modern? Yes. a new invention? and yes.

or is there simply no need for them any more? This too.

are you unable to use your own in the summer? No. or do you need two No. and that's why you borrow one? I do not borrow this, as people do normally borrow things. I just use it.

or do the other people need their own over Christmas and that's why you have to use your own? Yes, but they also use it in the summer.

Christmas decorations relevant? No. people visiting? Noish. parties? No.

do you use it for the same thing in summer and at Christmas? Literally speaking, yes. But there is a significant difference.

do you use it for the thing it was originally intended to do? Yes.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the thing used for communication?
For making christmas cards?
For writing?
Is it a typewriter?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potato:
Is the thing used for communication? No.
For making christmas cards? No.
For writing? No with a very indirect ish.
Is it a typewriter? No.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it used for printing? copying?

do you use it indoors? when you are using it can other people see it?

is it to do with heating? cooling? lighting? filming? recording? amplifying?

is it mechanical? electrical?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
is it used for printing? copying? No to both.

do you use it indoors? DOYD of indoors. It's possible to use it both indoors and outdoors. when you are using it can other people see it? Yes.

is it to do with heating? Yesish, but its primary function is... cooling? lighting? This. filming? recording? amplifying?

is it mechanical? electrical? No to both.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a petroleum lamp?
A lantern?

In summer, so you use it for luring insects away?
For some ceremony?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it some kind of candle? a lantern? a torch?

is it something you use when you are entertaining? BBQs? outdoor parties? indoor parties?

illuminating the garden? the outside of the house? the pool?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potato:
Is it a petroleum lamp? Yes, paraffin/kerosene lamp.
A lantern?

In summer, so you use it for luring insects away? No.
For some ceremony? Sometimes, but only because I have it anyway. It's not the main purpose.

Shez:
is it some kind of candle? a lantern? a torch? See above.

is it something you use when you are entertaining? BBQs? outdoor parties? indoor parties? No to all.

illuminating the garden? the outside of the house? the pool? No to all.
Tardigradeparty (Tardigradeparty)
Username: Tardigradeparty

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use the lamp in some kind of Christmas display, which will be up for a while so you're more willing to take it out of storage and use your own?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tardigradeparty:
Do you use the lamp in some kind of Christmas display, which will be up for a while so you're more willing to take it out of storage and use your own? I wouldn't call it a Christmas display, but you're sort of OTRT here.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you use it to go carol singing?

do you use it in a nativity play?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
do you use it to go carol singing? No.

do you use it in a nativity play? No.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4697
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use it because its cozy light? which goes well with candles? Or fireplaces? In order not to use electricity? Because of the heat it gives off?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GalFisk:
Do you use it because its cozy light? which goes well with candles? Or fireplaces? In order not to use electricity? Because of the heat it gives off? No to all.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4702
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could any other light source work just as well? Any other fire-based light source? Is the smell relevant? The fuel? the fact that it's old technology? Does anyone see you using it? Relevant? Relevant for how long you use it?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you use it because there is no electricity supply in a particular place? or because you're on the move?

do you use it in some sort of re-enactment?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GalFisk:
could any other light source work just as well? No. Any other fire-based light source? Yesish... Is the smell relevant? No. The fuel? To some extent. the fact that it's old technology? No. Does anyone see you using it? Yes. Relevant? No. Relevant for how long you use it? YES!

Shez:
do you use it because there is no electricity supply in a particular place? Yes to the summer use. or because you're on the move? This too, but no electricity is the main reason.

do you use it in some sort of re-enactment? No.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you putting it in your window all night?

Or using it for something where it's more cost-efficient than electricity? Safer? More easily portable?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gourami:
Are you putting it in your window all night? On my balcony, and several all days & all nights.

Or using it for something where it's more cost-efficient than electricity? Safer? This. More easily portable? This is also relevant.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the summer, do you use it in speleology?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma:
In the summer, do you use it in speleology? No.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

spele-what? o.o
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speleology - exploring caves :-)
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh. I know that as 'spelunking'. Silly me for not connecting the two *facepalm* they start with the same letters and everything!
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:
Every Christmas, I use petroleum/kerosene lamp. It is lit constantly for a couple of days and nights and it stands on my balcony. I use it because it's safe. What I use it for may be called Christmas tradition, but it's neither a nativity play nor carol singing. I use kerosene lamp also sometimes in the summer, but then I use someone else's. I use it in summer, because there is no electricity in the places I visit.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it safe ( or safer ) for you? the environment? someone else? traveling past your balcony? inside your place? on your balcony?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink:
Is it safe ( or safer ) for you? Yes. I think "Safer" is better. HINT: I could use candles as well, but it would be less safe and... the environment? someone else? Yes. traveling past your balcony? inside your place? This. on your balcony?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

at Christmas does it form part of your decorations? do you have a crib?

in summer do you borrow someone else's because you are staying somewhere far from home? are you camping? trekking?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
at Christmas does it form part of your decorations? No. do you have a crib? No.

in summer do you borrow I do not borrow. someone else's because you are staying somewhere far from home? Yes. are you camping? This. trekking?
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you don't borrow, and it's a lamp...do you use it at wherever they keep it?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kyeannpepper:
So you don't borrow, and it's a lamp...do you use it at wherever they keep it? I do not borrow it in the summer, I use it when I go camping - so no, I use it during camping and it is stored somewhere else. During Christmas I use my own lamp, I store it at my house and use it on my balcony.

HINT: During Christmas, I also visit my relatives with my lamp.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 555
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the lamp part of a tradition? re-enactment? role playing?

Is the lamp on while you travel?

Is the summer use relevant? do we need to find out more about it?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink:
Is the lamp part of a tradition? You may call it this way, it's quite modern, though. re-enactment? role playing? No to the rest.

Is the lamp on while you travel? Yes.

Is the summer use relevant? Not so much. do we need to find out more about it? No, you know that I use it as a source of light while camping, because it's safer than candles and no electricity is available at the place and that's all.
Blue (Blue)
Username: Blue

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

its better than candles in the sense that:
its doesn't extinguish while travel? because of glass cover around it?

safer in the sense:
something else catching fire? for children?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blue:
its better than candles in the sense that:
its doesn't extinguish while travel? YES! because of glass cover around it? and Yes.

safer in the sense:
something else catching fire? This. for children?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see... You use your lamp only during Christmas, only on your balcony, and you travel to your relatives with the lamp on...

Does your balcony with the lamp on travel to your relatives? :-)
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink:
Let's see... You use your lamp only during Christmas, only on your balcony, and you travel to your relatives with the lamp on... I keep the lamp only on my balcony while at home. When I travel to my relatives, I put the lamp on their balcony. The lamp is in their flat for only a short moment (besides bringing it in and out) - and this moment is what all this is for. Hope it makes sense.

Does your balcony with the lamp on travel to your relatives? :-) No - see above :-)
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the lamp there for a particular ceremony?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your using the lamp (and traveling with it to your relatives) part of a religious tradition? A holiday? (Like for example bringing home the candle lit from the church on Easter night, which here is widespread, I don't know about your place)
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
is the lamp there for a particular ceremony? Yesish.

Rbruma:
Is your using the lamp (and traveling with it to your relatives) part of a religious tradition? Kind of, DOYD. A holiday? (Like for example bringing home the candle lit from the church on Easter night, which here is widespread, I don't know about your place) Yesish, something of that kind - but not an old tradition, rather more modern symbol.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you commemorating an event? A person? An action?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma:
Are you commemorating an event? A person? An action? Well, all three to be precise. And to avoid confusion - it IS all about Christmas.

and HINT: Why is the lamp always on?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it meant to be a symbol of the star in Bethlehem? Some other symbol of religious importance?

Or rather it is always on because of some mundane reason (availability of fuel, requirements for functioning, etc).?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma:
Is it meant to be a symbol of the star No. in Bethlehem? But yes to the rest. Some other symbol of religious importance? Yesish.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it rather the other way round: you want the light to be on continuously, and therefore you are using a petroleum lamp?
Does the lamp represent an everlasting light?
Some regions in Germany have a tradition of putting a light in the window (or on the balcony) the whole night during Christmas time? (some say it came up in medieval time for practical reasons, to lit the streets, others say it's more symbolic; there are also a lot of different traditions, like the number of lights shows the number of kids in the family) .. is any of this relevant in your case?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner:
Is it rather the other way round: you want the light to be on continuously, and therefore you are using a petroleum lamp? Precisely so. It's important to keep the light on.
Does the lamp represent an everlasting light? The symbol may have several interpretations and this is one of them.
Some regions in Germany have a tradition of putting a light in the window (or on the balcony) the whole night during Christmas time? (some say it came up in medieval time for practical reasons, to lit the streets, others say it's more symbolic; there are also a lot of different traditions, like the number of lights shows the number of kids in the family) .. is any of this relevant in your case? No - the relevant tradition is not to have light on a window/balcony. It is the other way round - I got the light, I must keep it on - so I use the petroleum lamp and store it on a balcony.

HINT: Focus on the light.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 992
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you light the lamp in a church? then bring the light home? in order to take it to your relatives? who then light their own candle or lamp at your lamp?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner:
Do you light the lamp in a church? then bring the light home? in order to take it to your relatives? who then light their own candle or lamp at your lamp? More or less, yes to all. Usually I light the lamp from people who had lit it in the church.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Early Christians and the catacombs relevant?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2012 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emeraldink:
Early Christians and the catacombs relevant? No.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The light comes to the church from somewhere relevant.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the light come from another church?
Is this a Polish tradition (I'm guess not, since you said it's modern)? Hmm, I'll have to ask my Polish Mother if she's heard of it.

In your recap, you mentioned that you keep the light lit for a couple of days. Do you mean that literally (as in two days)?
If a few days, Is there a specific span of days of the year during which the lights are kept lit?
The lights are lit not for public display, correct?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beachbum:
Does the light come from another church? Yes.
Is this a Polish tradition No. (I'm guess not, since you said it's modern)? Hmm, I'll have to ask my Polish Mother if she's heard of it.

In your recap, you mentioned that you keep the light lit for a couple of days. Do you mean that literally (as in two days)? No, the light usually comes on December 16th and I keep it on till Christmas.
If a few days, Is there a specific span of days of the year during which the lights are kept lit? See above.
The lights are lit not for public display, correct? Some are, some are not.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As this puzzle is obviously dying, here comes the

******** SPOILER *******************

As you may know from my other puzzle, I am a scout leader. There is a modern scout tradition (dating probably from 90s of 20th century) that in December scouts from Austria bring the flame from the Nativity Cave in Bethlehem (Bethlehem Light of Peace) to Europe. Then austrian scouts distribute the light to scouts from other countries, that's how it comes to my country. We then distribute the light to churches, schools, orphanages, private enterprises etc. We also pass the light to scouts from countries east of Poland. Of course, we also take the light to our homes - to light from it the candles on Christmas Eve dinner. Obviously, the light must be lit during all these days. So the safest way to keep it burning at home is a petroleum lamp on the balcony.

At summer, I use the petroleum lamp to get light while filling in all the forms and documents I must fill everyday during camp - I can do it only at night and usually there is no electricity in our camping places. And handwriting doesn't go well together with torches. Then I use the lamps which belong to my scout unit - they are transported together with all our camping stuff and I don't need to spent place in my luggage for my own lamp.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: