[Balin] This scrund is effervescent Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2012 » [Balin] This scrund is effervescent « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 16327
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Until yesterday, I had a scrund related to an aspect of Judaism that no Jew would have. A simple Internet search would have cured this. What's the scrund?

Gregoryuconn knows this one; no asking him
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it about the origin of the word "Judaism"?
Tardigradeparty (Tardigradeparty)
Username: Tardigradeparty

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it about:
an aspect of doctrine?
something cultural?
holidays?
something related to ethnicity?
other?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16329
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it about the origin of the word "Judaism"? No

Was it about:
an aspect of doctrine? This
something cultural? And this, I guess
holidays? No
something related to ethnicity? I suppose this is relevant too
other?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5276
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did it involve a Jewish holiday? Hanukkah? Rosh Hashanah? Yom Kippur? apologies if I misspelled any of those.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16331
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did it involve a Jewish holiday? No Hanukkah? Rosh Hashanah? Yom Kippur? apologies if I misspelled any of those. I don't think you did
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your scrund involve something related to the Jewish faith? Or rather to some other faith, but related to that (such as Christianity or Islam?) Is any person or events mentioned in the Bible relevant? Are the Lost Tribes relevant? More generally, does it involve genealogy issues?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16338
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your scrund involve something related to the Jewish faith? Yope Or rather to some other faith, but related to that (such as Christianity or Islam?) No Is any person or events mentioned in the Bible relevant? Events, with svv of "events" Are the Lost Tribes relevant? No More generally, does it involve genealogy issues? No
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do? I think I know.... Facebook message to be sure we're on the right page before I shut up.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16342
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do? I think I know.... Facebook message to be sure we're on the right page before I shut up. You got it, and revealed a slight BLOOPER in the process: People and events mentioned in the Bible are relevant.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16383
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:

This Jewish scrund involves the Jewish culture and doctrine (for which Biblical people & events are somewhat relevant). It involves no holidays.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund involve wine? bubbles? springs (the kind water comes from?
I'm trying to figure out what the effervescence has to do with this.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16421
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund involve wine? bubbles? springs (the kind water comes from? No to all
I'm trying to figure out what the effervescence has to do with this. It comes from a Whose Line clip where one of the lines (sung as a Jewish wedding) was "You are so effervescent, your lightbulb is fluorescent, and I am out of rhyme."

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wine is laterally relevant, Balin. Facebook message me if you want to know more.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even if it is, it appears that Balin has dispelled my guess, that the "effervescent" in the title was a hint that the scrund was about wine (or anything else bubbly). Which means that this route of attack is fruitless. Now we are back to having Jewishness as the only lead...

Is this aspect of doctrine a rule (or rules) that Jews are expected to obey? or merely a claim about the past?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16425
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wine is laterally relevant, Balin. Facebook message me if you want to know more. Oops. I guess wine is laterally relevant. FB message sent.

Even if it is, it appears that Balin has dispelled my guess, that the "effervescent" in the title was a hint that the scrund was about wine (or anything else bubbly). Which means that this route of attack is fruitless. Now we are back to having Jewishness as the only lead...

Is this aspect of doctrine a rule (or rules) that Jews are expected to obey? Yes, I guess. "Doctrine" is more appropriate a term than "rule" here IMO. or merely a claim about the past?

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd call it a "commandment". But that may not mean anything to non-Jews. Take it as you wish.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not one of the ten commandments then?

a mitzvah? something from Leviticus?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16438
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd call it a "commandment". But that may not mean anything to non-Jews. Take it as you wish. I agree; that's the best term for it.

not one of the ten commandments then? Correct.

a mitzvah? No something from Leviticus? I think it's earlier, but it may be in Leviticus as well.

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Leviticus is relevant. Balin, I will facebook message you with the specific passage. And "a mitzvah" is technically yes. "Mitzvah", contrary to popular belief, means "commandment", not "good deed". So yes, it is a mitzvah. It is unlikely to be called such by a non-Jew, however.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16444
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Leviticus is relevant. Balin, I will facebook message you with the specific passage. And "a mitzvah" is technically yes. "Mitzvah", contrary to popular belief, means "commandment", not "good deed". So yes, it is a mitzvah. It is unlikely to be called such by a non-Jew, however. <<< What he said.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16445
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I thought "mitzvah" meant something along the lines of a bar/bat mitzvah. I'd never heard it interpreted as "good deed."
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never heard of the "good deed" either. But "bar" and "bat" mean "son" and "daughter", and they are reading passages of scripture in the ceremony, so it seems that by reading the mitzvah, i.e. commandments, they become metaphorical children of those teachings.

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well either way "good deed" is wrong, so it doesn't matter. I know Jews think that since people say "you did a mitzvah" when people visit the sick (a commandment) but not when they don't commit murder (also a commandment, though you can't really call every non-murder a "good deed"). Anyway, Biograd is right. "Bar/bat Mitzvah" means "Son/Daughhter of the Commandments". Also, Biograd, be careful, though it's irrelevant. The Torah (which they read) is more than just commandments. I didn't read any mitzvot in my Torah portion (I did read God commanding Moses to command spies to scout the land of Israel). My synagogue uses a triennial, reading a third of each portion each year, and none of the commandments are in the first third of Shlach l'cha (my portion). There are some in the second relating to the Holy Temple, and I'll not declare the third for now. It's irrelevant, but it's a well-known part of Judaism, so revealing its irrelevance would be too much... Don't google it either. But what I read is just narrative.
The reason they are B'Nai Mitvahs (which is a technically incorrect pluralization since I'm plauralizing it in Hebrew and English, plus "Bar Mitzvahs" really shouldn't be any more correct than "Mother in-laws", even non-withstanding the Anglicized plaurilizing). But I digress. The reason they are Bar/Bat Mitzvahs is that they are now "children of the commandments", meaning they are responsible for obeying all of them. Until I turned 13, it was halakhically (religous law) my parents' responsibility that I kept kosher, went to synagogue, etc. After that, I become halakhically responsible. Of course, I still couldn't legally drive to synagogue until I was 16, but that would likely qualify under the mitzvah "The laws of your land shall be your laws...." In other words, I couldn't steal a car without a license if my parents wouldn't drive me. But legal statutes non-withstanding, when I turned 13, I became a Bar-Mitzvah (notice the adjective) and thus became responsible for the commandments.
Additionally, it was not the first time I read from the Torah. At my synagoge, bar/Bat Mitzvahs generally go to weekday services the Thursday before and do one or more of the three readings there (we do seven on Saturdays, and three each Mondays and Thursdays. Bonus points to anyone who can say why those days.) But this is really irelevant.
Anyway, in this context (as it should) "mitzvah" means commandment, which Balin's scrund was about. Many Jews use it incorrectly to refer to all, and exclusively to, good deeds. If your elderly neighbor wants help fixing their laptop, and you do so, that's probably not a mitzvah (if it were your parent, it would be honoring your father and mother, though). It would still be a good deed though. Consequently, by paying for the brownie I bought today, I fulfilled the mitzvah "thou shal not steal". But while it wasn't a bad deed, I'd have trouble calling buying food that I'm eating myself a "good deed" either. So yeah, Jews misuse it a lot. I'm told by Muslims that the Arabic word "Ihsan" is similarly misused by Muslims, but I can't say for sure.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks. another scrund out the window. I heard about mitzvah last year on the way back from Hawaii with my 82 year old mother when we were trapped in NY by the Icelandic volcano. A wonderful Jewish lady took us into her home for a week. Mind you, she did pass on her own mitzvah scrind!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16472
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that that little side-scrund's been cleared up, we've still got my original one to deal with. As Gregory has kindly cleared up, yes, the scrund is about a certain mitzvah.

HINT: What are some things that non-Jews will still know about Judaism?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2813
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dietary laws? circumcision? shabbos? divorce?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16480
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dietary laws? circumcision? This one shabbos? divorce?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the scrund about the reason for circumcision? the method? the timing?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16487
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the scrund about the reason for circumcision? the method? the timing? No to all
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would no Jew have this scrund because he/she would probably have attended a Jewish circumcision (a bris, I believe it's called)? because he/she would have read the mitzvah surrounding circumcision?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16489
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would no Jew have this scrund because he/she would probably have attended a Jewish circumcision Yope, not really relevant (a bris, I believe it's called) This is extremely relevant! ? because he/she would have read the mitzvah surrounding circumcision? Also not relevant
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it just not knowing what a bris is?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16507
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it just not knowing what a bris is? No
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the term bris miloh as such relevant? Did your scrund involve the translation of this term? its pronunciation?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16513
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the term bris miloh as such relevant? No Did your scrund involve the translation of this term? No its pronunciation? Yes.

**********SPOILER**********

I always thought the word "bris" was pronounced "bree" instead of "briss." Gregory corrected my scrund on Facebook a short while before I posted this puzzle.

Nice solve Sundowner, thanks for the correction & information Gregory, and check out my new puzzle when I post it...and think it up.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: