[Balin] Dirty deeds... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2012 » [Balin] Dirty deeds... « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 16951
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One look and I knew the writer had made a mistake.

Should be quick
Jane (Jane)
Username: Jane

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "one look" do you mean that something was immediately obvious when you looked at whatever you looked at? Is the word "look" especially relevant? Could it be replaced with "glance" and the puzzle still work?

I = you, Balin? One look at what the writer had written? One look at something else? Is the identity of the writer relevant?

If the look was at something else, did you look at it immediately after you read what the writer had written? A short time afterwards? As a direct result of reading what the writer had written? Did you look at it some time later? Did the look prove that something you had read in the past was wrong?

Did the writer actually write the thing? Or say the thing? Or express the thing in another way? Was the mistake an act?

If the writer did write the thing, did he write it in a book? In a newspaper? Online? Is it relevant where you read it? Was the mistake factual? Grammatical? Spelling? To do with meaning?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16954
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "one look" do you mean that something was immediately obvious when you looked at whatever you looked at? Yes Is the word "look" especially relevant? Not particularly Could it be replaced with "glance" and the puzzle still work? I think so, yes

I = you, Balin? Yes One look at what the writer had written? Yes One look at something else? No, so the next block of questions are all No Is the identity of the writer relevant? No

If the look was at something else, did you look at it immediately after you read what the writer had written? A short time afterwards? As a direct result of reading what the writer had written? Did you look at it some time later? Did the look prove that something you had read in the past was wrong?

Did the writer actually write the thing? Yes Or say the thing? Or express the thing in another way? Was the mistake an act? No

If the writer did write the thing, did he write it in a book? In a newspaper? Online? No to these Is it relevant where you read it? Yes Was the mistake factual? Yope; No to rest Grammatical? Spelling? To do with meaning?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4115
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is our beloved forum relevant?
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writing on a sign? In an advertisement? Was it graffiti? Was it typed? Printed? Handwritten? Painted? Scratched into something? Was it on paper? Wood? Metal? Plastic? On a screen?

Was there one mistake? More than one? Did something about what the writer wrote negate what he/she had written?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I must ask .... Was anything done dirt cheap?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16956
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is our beloved forum relevant? No

Was the writing on a sign? No In an advertisement? No Was it graffiti? Yope Was it typed? Printed? Handwritten? Yope to this Painted? Scratched into something? And Yope to this -- No to rest Was it on paper? Wood? Metal? Plastic? On a screen? No to all (slight -ish to "screen")

Was there one mistake? Yes More than one? So no Did something about what the writer wrote negate what he/she had written? No

Oh I must ask .... Was anything done dirt cheap? No, but I've just won a bet with myself on which user would ask that question. Although I suppose thrift is somewhat relevant to the setting.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the writing non-fiction? fiction?
Poetry?

Less than twenty words?
More than One hundred?

Etched in to metal?

Written less than 100 years ago?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16961
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the writing non-fiction? fiction?
Poetry? Non-fiction, with svv of "non-fiction"

Less than twenty words? This
More than One hundred?

Etched in to metal? No

Written less than 100 years ago? No
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you see the writing in situ? Did you see an image of the writing on a screen?

Was it carved into stone? Was it on a building? A statue? In a cave? Was it on something built by people? A natural feature?

Is the writing in an identifiable language? Is it made up of words? Symbols? Numbers? Pictures? Is it in a living language?

Had the writer made a prediction which you knew to have been false? When the writer wrote the thing, was there a mistake? Or did something happen in between the writing and your seeing it which made it a mistake?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16962
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you see the writing in situ? Hmm? I saw the actual writing, not a picture of it, if that's what you're saying. Did you see an image of the writing on a screen? No

Was it carved into stone? Was it on a building? A statue? In a cave? No to all Was it on something built by people? Yes A natural feature? No

Is the writing in an identifiable language? Yes Is it made up of words? This Symbols? Numbers? Pictures? Is it in a living language? Yes. To save you from guessing, it was in English

Had the writer made a prediction which you knew to have been false? No When the writer wrote the thing, was there a mistake? Yes Or did something happen in between the writing and your seeing it which made it a mistake? No
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writing on a person? Was it on tarmac? On ice? On the ground? On fabric? On something made up of more than material? Was it on a thing that you could pick up and move? Was the writing a different colour to its background? Did you see it inside? Outside?

Was the purpose of the writing to inform? Advise? Warn? Forbid? Request? Order? Commemmorate? Advertise? Inspire? Provoke thought? Comfort? Call to action?

Was the writing intended to be read? Was the writing the original work of the writer? Was it a quotation?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16963
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writing on a person? Was it on tarmac? On ice? On the ground? On fabric? No to all of these On something made up of more than material? Explain further please Was it on a thing that you could pick up No and move? Yes Was the writing a different colour to its background? Yes Did you see it inside? Outside? This

Was the purpose of the writing to inform? This Advise? Warn? Forbid? Request? Order? Commemmorate? Advertise? Inspire? Provoke thought? Comfort? Call to action? And this. No to rest

Was the writing intended to be read? Yes Was the writing the original work of the writer? Yes Was it a quotation? No
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is worth noting at this point that your puzzle statement applies to the qualifier. When I saw "Should be quick" I thought "I bet it isn't" and what do you know?

I missed a vital word out of my earlier question, which should have read: was it made up of more than ONE material?

Was the writing on a vehicle? To your knowledge, do the same words appear anywhere else?

For the sake of clarification, did you see the writing and know/think that the writer was wrong in approximately the same moment? Did the writer write the words anywhere else? Did the writer write the words more than 100 years ago? If so, was the thing you saw more than 100 years old?

Whatever the words were written on: could you not pick it up because it's too heavy? Fixed in place? Impossible to hold? Could you move it because it is light enough to move? Because it has wheels? Because it has some other feature which makes it movable?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16964
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is worth noting at this point that your puzzle statement applies to the qualifier. When I saw "Should be quick" I thought "I bet it isn't" and what do you know? I should've known...

I missed a vital word out of my earlier question, which should have read: was it made up of more than ONE material? Yes

Was the writing on a vehicle? Yes! To your knowledge, do the same words appear anywhere else? Almost certainly

For the sake of clarification, did you see the writing and know/think that the writer was wrong in approximately the same moment? I think Yes, but I'm not completely sure what you mean by the question Did the writer write the words anywhere else? I don't know; Irrel Did the writer write the words more than 100 years ago? No If so, was the thing you saw more than 100 years old? No

Whatever the words were written on: could you not pick it up because it's too heavy? Fixed in place? Impossible to hold? Could you move it because it is light enough to move? Because it has wheels? Because it has some other feature which makes it movable? See previous; it was on a car
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writing signwritten onto the car? Was it handwritten onto the car? Sprayed onto the car? Was it written on the body of the car? Was it a sign displayed in one of the windows? If so, the windscreen? Was it one of the manufacturer's bits of writing - the name/model of the car? Was it on a sticker attached to the car? Was it on the registration plate?

Is the make of the car relevant? The model?

I'm imagining the car wrapped around a lamp post with a For Sale sign claiming "One careful lady owner"...anything like this?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16970
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writing signwritten onto the car? Was it handwritten onto the car? This, slight svv of "handwritten" Sprayed onto the car? Was it written on the body of the car? It was written on... Was it a sign displayed in one of the windows? If so, the windscreen? ...the back windshield Was it one of the manufacturer's bits of writing - the name/model of the car? Was it on a sticker attached to the car? Was it on the registration plate? No to rest

Is the make of the car relevant? The model? Neither

I'm imagining the car wrapped around a lamp post with a For Sale sign claiming "One careful lady owner"...anything like this? No, but that would be funny
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"wash me" or similar, written on a dirty windshield?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16972
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"wash me" or similar, written on a dirty windshield? Exactly
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that it, or do we need to work out what the sign said?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16974
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that it, or do we need to work out what the sign said? There's more.

RECAP:

One look and I knew the writer had made a mistake.

Someone had written "clean me!" on the back windshield of a dirty car. When I saw the writing, I instantly realized the writer of the message had made a mistake when he wrote it. What's the mistake?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mistake in the actual writing? A spelling error? Relevant whether the phrase was written to e readable from inside or outside the car?

Did the mistake mean that the culprit would be easily identifiable?
Had they written it on the wrong car? On the car of someone who would not take the joke well?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16976
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mistake in the actual writing? Yes... A spelling error? No Relevant whether the phrase was written to e readable from inside or outside the car? Yes!

Did the mistake mean that the culprit would be easily identifiable? No
Had they written it on the wrong car? No On the car of someone who would not take the joke well? Irrel and unknown
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the message written on the inside of the window? The outside? Was it intended to be read from the side it was written? Or the other side?

Had the writer got one or more of the letters the wrong way round in trying to write it to be read from the other side of the window? Had the writer not taken the rear-view mirror into account?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16979
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the message written on the inside of the window? The outside? This Was it intended to be read from the side it was written? Or the other side? This-ish

Had the writer got one or more of the letters the wrong way round in trying to write it to be read from the other side of the window? Yes... Had the writer not taken the rear-view mirror into account? NO!
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it intended to be readable by the driver in the rear view mirror? Had the person reversed the order of the letters, but not actually drawn the letters backwards? Or the other way round?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16981
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it intended to be readable by the driver in the rear view mirror? Yes Had the person reversed the order of the letters, but not actually drawn the letters backwards? Or the other way round? This, and I think we're all set.

**********SPOILER**********

I passed a car in the parking lot that had "CLEAN ME!" written backwards in the dirt on the back windshield. Immediately, I realized that the writer had made a mistake, as writing written backwards on the back windshield of a car will still be read backwards in the car's rearview mirror.

Nice work Enjay for the last bit, and Jane for almost all the rest. New puzzle in a bit!
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not TOO slow... nice puzzle!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice work Balin, Enjay and Jane.

I realised when asking the Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap question that I was probably falling into a carefully laid trap. Mind you it's nice when a puzzle has vague references to my one of my heroes namely the much lamented Ronald Belford Scott.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: