[BeachBum] Following Ixoye .. Are th... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2012 » [BeachBum] Following Ixoye .. Are those real words?? « Previous Next »

Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inspired by Ixoye, and as a lover of music of radically different styles, I hereby present the following puzzle:

There is both a well known musical play (which you can watch as a movie), and secondly,an opera. They share what I think is an unusual property:

The sung lyrics in both of these productions include some single syllable vocalisations, which I suspect are quite rare in any sung vocals that are recorded and/or publicly performed for a paying audience. Many people might not consider these syllables to be words, although I'm fairly sure they would be in a dictionary (haven't looked yet).

What are these syllables?

And what is the musical and the opera?

I have a feeling that not many people are familiar with the opera, so ok, googling is allowed, based on your own discretion.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify, the two things are:

1) The play, which I has been made available in film,

and
2) the opera.

... just in case the puzzles statement was not clear...
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17155
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they normally considered nonsense syllables?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they normally considered nonsense syllables?
Not at all - almost anyone would know what these syllables represent
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4988
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the opera and play both have the same title (or are based on the same property)?

Are they in English?

Were they made in this century? Last? Previous centuries?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the opera and play both have the same title No (or are based on the same property)? Not sure what you mean

Are they in English? Yes (there might be portions of both the play and the opera that might be in other langauges - I'm not certain). But, yeah, anyone would consider them both to be in English).

Were they made in this century? Last? Previous centuries? Both first appeared on the stage after 1950 but before 1980.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

La la la la la la?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

La la la la la la? Not sure what exact question you are asking, if you can clarify, that would be great, but you're actually on the right track .
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I've inspired a puzzle? Well I hope this one goes well...

Are the syllables meant to be "stand-alone" words in a lyric? Or is someone using syllables to spell out a word or words?

For instance, in the Hall and Oates song "Method Of Modern Love," the chorus lyrics are,"M-E-T-H-O-D-O-F-L-O-V-E," meant to be heard as spelling out "method of love," but the individual letters are sung instead of saying the words.

Or, like what I think Greg is asking, is a syllable like "La," or "Doo Bee Do Bee Do," sung in a manner that would be indicative of the meaning of the lyric?

Another thing that came to mind is how Hanson used the word "Mmmmm-bop" to mean "a short amount of time." The chorus of the song repeats this several times, but in the context of the song the listener understands that it's meant to stand for something else. Is this a similar idea?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the syllables meant to be "stand-alone" words in a lyric? In one case, yes. I looked up the definition of "word" and these syllables indeed are technically words, although I can't see how they could be used in a sentence that wasn't at least indirectly referring to the "definition" of these "words". In the second case, these "words" were not actually used semantically as words. I know this is difficult to describe, but it will become clear soon I think.

Or is someone using syllables to spell out a word or words? No

For instance, in the Hall and Oates song "Method Of Modern Love," the chorus lyrics are,"M-E-T-H-O-D-O-F-L-O-V-E," meant to be heard as spelling out "method of love," but the individual letters are sung instead of saying the words. No

Or, like what I think Greg is asking, is a syllable like "La," or "Doo Bee Do Bee Do," sung in a manner that would be indicative of the meaning of the lyric? I'm not really what your asking.. If your'e asking if these syllables mean nothing on their own, but help provide meaning to the lyric as a whole, then yope to one of the cases, and no to the other case.

Another thing that came to mind is how Hanson used the word "Mmmmm-bop" to mean "a short amount of time." The chorus of the song repeats this several times, but in the context of the song the listener understands that it's meant to stand for something else. Is this a similar idea? No to both cases
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and just to be clear once again, the play/movie and the opera are entirely independent entities. It's not that the opera is based on the the play or anything like that. Far from it! The only thing they share is the use of these syllables.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do these syllables represent a sound? like "woof woof"? whoosh?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do these syllables represent a sound? like "woof woof"? whoosh? No
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Think of hills
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 873
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hills are alive with the sound of music? Or, to be more specific, the 'aah' bits?

Only thing I could think of.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the long delay

The hills are alive with the sound of music? Very much OTRT - one of the two instances is a song in this musical

Or, to be more specific, the 'aah' bits? I don't remember the 'aah' bits, so I guess no

And don't forget that post #1909 carries a clue.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is LA one of the syllables? tra? tum? ti?

Post Number: 898
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I don't know the titles of some of the songs, so I'll just use a line from them.
How do you solve a problem like Maria?
Do, a deer?
My favorite things?
Sixteen going on seventeen?
The lonely goatherd?
So long, farewell?
Climb every mountain?
Edelweiss?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3124
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it has to be Doe, a deer - la, a note that follows soh
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is LA one of the syllables? <b>Yes><>/b> tra? In the first case, uncertain, in the second case, no um? See last answer ti? Yes

Okay, I don't know the titles of some of the songs, so I'll just use a line from them.
How do you solve a problem like Maria?
Do, a deer?
My favorite things?
Sixteen going on seventeen?
The lonely goatherd?
So long, farewell?
Climb every mountain?
Edelweiss?
Do-Re-Mi

it has to be Doe, a deer - la, a note that follows soh Yes

Looks like the first part of the puzzle is solved. But now what is the opera that makes very heavy use of these syllables (just a personal estimation - at least 40 % of the entire sung lyrics)?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, posted accidentally before editing.

Ok congratulations for solving the syllables and the musical play. But now, what about an Opera that uses these syllables much more heavilly?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bumping this - think avant garde!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Il barbiere Di Siviglia?

Figaro La , Figaro qua, Figaro La, Figaro Su etc. etc.

Lots of La's
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, remember, that in my estimation, about half of the the sung vocals in the opera are solefeges<sp?> You're still thinking too traditional, and maybe not many people know this opera, so maybe it wasn't so great a puzzle. But you will learn if you google perhaps.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3238
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it an opera sung by human beings? or cats?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it an opera sung by human beings? Yes or cats? No, but would be an interesting idea! But their contract would no doubt require a cheezzburger per kitteh so for that reason if might not be practical
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(and where's kyennapper to offer the cheessburgers to the kittys?)

Sorry, I know I spelled you name wrong probably so sorry in advance.

Post Number: 973
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haz arrived to offur cheezburgurs to teh kittehs!

Don't worry about it, people spell my name wrong all the time in RL, so I'm used to it :P.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes kitteh opera FTW!

Help us out here, we are looking for an opera where approx half of the sung syllables are do re me etc,

And googling is ok I guess because nobody is getting this.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes kitteh opera FTW!

Help us out here, we are looking for an opera where approx half of the sung syllables are do re me etc,

And googling is ok I guess because nobody is getting this.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how to spell it but - Lucia de Lammermoor?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how to spell it but - Lucia de Lammermoor? No.

HINTS: The spoken words (I think they are called libretos?) are as far as I know, all in English, although I can't be absolutely that this will be true for the next performance, because from the music I bought from Amazon, it seems that they ,apparently make some changes when they go on a new tour. Also a Violin player is very prominent, and in fact the opera is ostensibly about the historical character that the Violin player portrays. The character portrayed, however, was not by any means famous for his Violin playing, but for something that most people would consider far more important.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how to spell it but - Lucia de Lammermoor? No.

HINTS: The spoken words (I think they are called libretos?) are as far as I know, all in English, although I can't be absolutely that this will be true for the next performance, because from the music I bought from Amazon, it seems that they ,apparently make some changes when they go on a new tour. Also a Violin player is very prominent, and in fact the opera is ostensibly about the historical character that the Violin player portrays. The character portrayed, however, was not by any means famous for his Violin playing, but for something that most people would consider far more important.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***SPOILER***

I, have more than three puzzles on the board right now, I need to pick a puzzle to spoil.

The opera in question is simply Einstein on the Beach! (with the Phillip Glass ensemble). Because glass is 70 years, the current tour of this performance will most likely be the last one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: