[Balin] What is it good for? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2012 » [Balin] What is it good for? « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17194
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ingenuity and gymnastics enabled their escape.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Start with the basics. Are they human? HAF? HAM? How many? 1,2,3,4, etc?
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 831
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Their escape: From a human pursuer? From an explosion of some sort? From something mechanical? From something natural (like a landslide)? From an animal? Other?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17196
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Start with the basics. Are they human? HAF? HAM? How many? 1,2,3,4, etc? 3, all HAM

Their escape: From a human pursuer? Yope, but mainly... From an explosion of some sort? From something mechanical? From something natural (like a landslide)? From an animal? Other? Yes
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Literal gymnastics (as in, athletic contortions or maneuvers of the body)? or metaphorical (the ability to "juggle" multiple actions or escape awkward binds)?

Were they escaping something launched? or controlled by? a human pursuer? from an enclosure built by humans?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4156
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title a clue? War relevant? Are 'they' soldiers or some branch of the military.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WWII relevant? prisoners of war?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17204
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Literal gymnastics (as in, athletic contortions or maneuvers of the body)? Yes or metaphorical (the ability to "juggle" multiple actions or escape awkward binds)? So No

Were they escaping something launched? or controlled by? a human pursuer? from an enclosure built by humans? This

Is the title a clue? War relevant? Are 'they' soldiers or some branch of the military. WWII relevant? prisoners of war? Yes to all of these
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYOI? FSEI? Real life?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17211
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYOI? FSEI? Real life? True story
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please see my emailed guess
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17216
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez: replied.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they allied soldiers trying to escape a German POW camp? Did they actually use gymnastics to get out of the camp? or to make good their escape once they had gotten out?

Is there a particular gymnastic discipline relevant? Did they springboard over the fence?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17229
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they allied soldiers trying to escape a German POW camp? Yes Did they actually use gymnastics to get out of the camp? Yope/Noish or to make good their escape once they had gotten out? No

Is there a particular gymnastic discipline relevant? Yes Did they springboard over the fence? No

Shez's guess was correct.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they scale the wire? dig a tunnel? hide on a truck leaving the camp? (See: The Great Escape) Arrange a football match with the German national team and have thousands of french civilians storm the pitch at the end of the game thus allowing them to escape. (See: Escape to Victory)

I've exhausted all my war movie methods of escaping from German POW camps.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this one, but good choice for a puzzle!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17232
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they scale the wire? dig a tunnel? This, rest are No hide on a truck leaving the camp? (See: The Great Escape) I finally got around to seeing that movie. It was really good. Arrange a football match with the German national team and have thousands of french civilians storm the pitch at the end of the game thus allowing them to escape. (See: Escape to Victory)

I know this one, but good choice for a puzzle! Thanks!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I seem to be the only person who doesn't know this? Do they use gymnastic equipment to get rid of the dirt from the tunnel? I can only imagine it's a pommel horse is that right?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17245
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I seem to be the only person who doesn't know this? Do they use gymnastic equipment to get rid of the dirt from the tunnel? That was part of its use, yes I can only imagine it's a pommel horse is that right? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17274
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:

Three men used a pommel horse to aid an escape from a German POW camp. The pommel horse had several purposes, one of which was to carry away dirt from the tunnel being dug.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4171
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a sort of trojan pommel horse ? Was it a decoy?

Greetings from France . Found a bar with WiFi .
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cheers Peter (hic!)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17277
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a sort of trojan pommel horse? Yes Was it a decoy? Not exactly

Greetings from France . Found a bar with WiFi . Nice. Hope France is going well.

HINT:

You have figured out 2 of the 3 main purposes of the pommel horse:

-To carry the man digging to the tunnel's location.
-To carry away dug dirt.

Figure out the last one and I'll $poyle.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it used to hold something against the tunnel entrance to keep it from being seen? to hold some sort of tools/supplies used for digging? to measure the length of the tunnel in order to know when it was long enough to come out the other side?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17286
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it used to hold something against the tunnel entrance to keep it from being seen? Yesish, but this isn't what I'm referring to. hold some sort of tools/supplies used for digging? No to measure the length of the tunnel in order to know when it was long enough to come out the other side? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4179
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the gymnastics muffle the sound of the digging.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17302
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the gymnastics muffle the sound of the digging. Yes.

Wow, I expected this one to last longer.

**********SPOILER**********

"Three Men and a Pommel Horse" (http://www.cracked.com/article_18558_the-5-most-badass-prison-escapes-in-history-war.html)

One of the most absurdly complex and overall ludicrous prison escape attempts in history is thanks to a pair of British pilots named Oliver Philpot and Eric Williams, who wound up in a Nazi prison camp along with another British soldier named Richard Codner. Philpot and Williams had been shot down during a bombing run, but it isn't exactly clear how Codner wound up there. Though, from listening to the guy, it is quite possible he voluntarily entered the prison just to see if he could break out. In his own words, "I enjoyed myself when we were escaping. We were really living then. I think it's only when you're being hunted that you really live... I liked being hunted..."

It wasn't the guards, guard dogs, or barbwire fences at Stalag Luft III that were the biggest problem inmates faced: it was the dirt. On top was dusty grey, but not far underneath was sandy yellow. Any yellow dirt that turned up in the prison meant a tunnel was being dug. Tunnels, like the three used in the Great Escape were being dug all the time, but most of these were discovered because of the amount of time and yellow dirt required to dig from one of the prison buildings.

There had to be a way around it. Together, the three men built a really big pommel horse (the rail with a pair of handles, like gymnasts use), capable of holding up to three men uncomfortably inside. Then they convinced the guards that they, and many other inmates, just loved the hell out of gymnastics. To make it convincing, they practiced for hours each day, despite the fact their rations, while adequate, weren't exactly chalk full of protein.

The men took turns hiding inside the horse; inmates carried it in and out to the yard, placing it in the same spot by the fence every day (Closer to fence = less dirt). From inside, a digger took the top layer of grey dust and placed it in a box. Bowls were used for shovels. So as not to leave a gaping hole in the yard, a board was placed over the hole and covered with the grey dust from the box. Guards walked right over it, and didn't notice.

The yellow dirt, meanwhile, was brought inside the prison with the digger, where it was disposed of in gardens, rooftops, and the toilet, Shawshank-style. The noise from digging, which would be picked up by microphones placed along the fence line, was attributed to the gymnasts leaping around the yard.

Almost four months... later, the tunnel was ready. The three men punched through, assumed fake identities, and travelled across Europe, eventually making it to Britain via Sweden. As for the pommel horse and all those gymnasts back in the camp...we're sure they bear no hard feelings for leaving them there to rot.

Nice solve everyone. New puzzle when I can think of one.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow I'd never heard that story before. Amazing ingenuity.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: