[gregoryuconn] Crash and Burn - a com... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2012 » [gregoryuconn] Crash and Burn - a combination neologism/regular puzzle « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is part neologism, part regular puzzle. First of all, there is the neologism "clarshing", which you have to define. Second, that neologism is involved in a traditional puzzle, which you have to solve in the normal way. Here we go:

Mike clarshed, and his mother found out. She was upset, so she clarshed as well.

Mike = Human, Teen/Young Adult/Male. Mike's mom = H/A/F.

True story, by the way. A bit strange, though.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Mike you? If not, have you ever clarshed? Has your mother? Am I likely to have clarshed at sometime during my life? Is it a common thing to do or have done to you?
Is it more active or passive?
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mike's mother mad BEACAUSE Mike clarshed? Or does clarshing just happen to be a method of expressing anger?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mike not want his mother to find out that he clarshed?

Relevant how much time passed between Mike clarshing and his mother finding out?
If so, years?
Months?
Weeks?
Days?
Hours?
Minutes?
Seconds?
Same question for the time between his mother being upset and clarshing?

Is clarshing a behaviour that's generally not desired by parents in their children?
Like smoking ?
Or otherwise abusing drugs?
Lying?
Stealing?
Staying out late?

Does Mike have any siblings?
If so, did he do something nasty to them?

Does clarshing involve an object?
A specific one?

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Mike you? No If not, have you ever clarshed? No Has your mother? Yes, but be careful of FA's. Am I likely to have clarshed at sometime during my life? I don't know. Tell me how old you are and where you live and I'll give you a better answer. Is it a common thing to do In some places, be careful of FA or have done to you? It can't be done to you (if you're a person, at least)
Is it more active or passive? active

Was Mike's mother mad BEACAUSE Mike clarshed? Yesish or yes (but in light of the circumstances, probably yesish) Or does clarshing just happen to be a method of expressing anger? So no.

Did Mike not want his mother to find out that he clarshed? Probably, but irr

Relevant how much time passed between Mike clarshing and his mother finding out? The specific interval is irrelevant, but it could have been anywhere from minutes to a week or so, and that is relevant.
If so, years?
Months?
Weeks?
Days?
Hours?
Minutes?
Seconds?
Same question for the time between his mother being upset and clarshing? She was upset when she clarshed. I don't know how long she had waited to clarsh after getting upset (because she found out what Mike did). And that d doesn't really matter. But something else about when she clarshed does.

Is clarshing a behaviour that's generally not desired by parents in their children? Yesish, I suppose.
Like smoking ?
Or otherwise abusing drugs? no to both, otwt
Lying?
Stealing?
Staying out late? No to all of these too, and otwt again.

Does Mike have any siblings? Yes, but this is only relevant because I found out from my sister, who is friends with his sister. At least, that's all the relevance it has if you don't know them personally (and you don't).
If so, did he do something nasty to them? No

Does clarshing involve an object? Yesish - more than one
A specific one? Two specific objects, I suppose, depends on how specific you mean.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 5011
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 35 and live in Arizona. Am I likely to have clarshed? Did you have to look something up to find out?
Is clarshing illegal? Can it be done unconsciously? By mistake? together, by more than one person?
Are the objects used bigger than a breadbox?
Is clarshing done at certain times of year? Certain days of the week?

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 35 and live in Arizona. Am I likely to have clarshed? Yes, but be wary of FA's. Did you have to look something up to find out? yes
Is clarshing illegal? Depends on the location. But in Mike's case, yes. (I'll just reveal the FA - it's not illegal in Arizona. That's what I was looking up). Can it be done unconsciously? No By mistake? I suppose you could, in theory, but it wouldn't be illegal if you did together, by more than one person? DOYD of "together"-ish
Are the objects used bigger than a breadbox? Jeez, I had to look up pictures of breadboxes. One is, one isn't.
Is clarshing done at certain times of year? all year Certain days of the week? every day, though some people might do it more on certain days.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything alcoholic involved? Or other stimulent?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the locations where clarshing is illegal, is it reasonably so?
Or is it illegal by some wacky law, to the extent of, like, "You are not to brush an emu on the second Tuesday of a month"?

Would clarshing be illegal for everyone?
Or would it be permissible once you are a certain age?

Is driving relevant?

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything alcoholic involved? Or other stimulent? No to both
In the locations where clarshing is illegal, is it reasonably so? Some might disagree
Or is it illegal by some wacky law, to the extent of, like, "You are not to brush an emu on the second Tuesday of a month"? Not this unreasonable, though.

Would clarshing be illegal for everyone? depends on the location-ish. But in New York, it's illegal for everyone.
Or would it be permissible once you are a certain age? In some states, yes. Technically in all states (and everywhere for that matter), I suppose, but underage clarshing wouldn't really be the crime necessarily.

Is driving relevant? YES! (That resolves my cryptic answer to the previous question - if you're too young to drive in your area, clarshing is illegal because it involves driving. However, clarshing wouldn't necessarily be illegal, per se.
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mike driving?
Did Mike not do something that he would have to when he's driving (such as appyling a seat belt or turning on lights)?
Was Mike involved in an accident?
Did he receive a fee for traffic violation?

After getting upset, did his mother drive somewhere?
Relevant where to?
And if any of my questions 2-4 is a Yes, did it happen to her because she forgot to do or disregarded something in her anger?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it involves a car and some other object? Is that other object a sign? a cell phone? some other distracting electronic device? something that is thrown out the window as litter?

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mike driving? Yes
Did Mike not do something that he would have to when he's driving (such as appyling a seat belt or turning on lights)? No, but very OTRT
Was Mike involved in an accident? No
Did he receive a fee for traffic violation? Assume yes

After getting upset, did his mother drive somewhere? Yope
Relevant where to? No
And if any of my questions 2-4 is a Yes, did it happen to her because she forgot to do or disregarded something in her anger? You mean these three?

Did Mike's mom not do something that he would have to when he's driving (such as appyling a seat belt or turning on lights)? Again, no but very OTRT
Was Mike's mom involved in an accident? No
Did Mike's mom receive a fee for traffic violation? Assume yes

Actually, this doesn't perfectly conform with the true story, but for the purposes of this puzzle, it will make it easier. I'll explain more in the $poylr.

So it involves a car and some other object? yes Is that other object a sign? a cell phone? YES!!!! some other distracting electronic device? something that is thrown out the window as litter? No to rest

You're almost there, just put it all together.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 5015
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Mike drove while talking on a cellphone, and got stopped and cited. For some reason, his mother, perhaps distracted by anger, afterwards drove somewhere (the police station?) and was also stopped and cited for the same thing.

("Honey, our son was an idiot and got arrested, I'm on my way over to the station to bail him out, oh, wait, a cop's trying to pull me over --")

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Mike drove while talking on a cellphone, and got stopped and cited. Indeed For some reason, his mother, perhaps distracted by anger, afterwards drove somewhere (the police station?) FA and was also stopped and cited for the same thing. YES!

("Honey, our son was an idiot and got arrested, I'm on my way over to the station to bail him out, oh, wait, a cop's trying to pull me over --") Not like this, but you're very much OTRT. It's even stupider than that though.

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slight blooper

For some reason, his mother, perhaps distracted by anger, afterwards drove somewhere (the police station?) Assume FA, I don't know the exact circumstances, but under the assumed scenario, you are making an FA.

Also, note: In New York, talking on your cellphone while driving is a traffic offense. You can't get arrested for it unless there are aggravating circumstances (like if you're drunk or were driving recklessly), but you can get given a ticket and sent on your way. That's what happened to Mike. Also, this problem works best (at least in New York) if Mike is under 18 when this takes place, although I don't know if he actually was.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he talking to his mother on the phone at the time?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she talking to the police on her cell phone?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 5028
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this embarrassing for his mom? Will they laugh about it later?

Or was his mom in the car with him at the time? Was it her car? Did it have a mechanism (such as a plug-in device) for a cell-phone that made it obvious the owner of the car also did this?

"Hi, Mom."
"Hi, dear, I'm driving so make this quick."
"Well, um, I got cited for driving while on a cell phone."
"WHAT? Oh, wait, a policeman's signalling me to stop, I'll lecture you later." <click>

Or:

"Your Honor, my son will never do this again. We don't teach him to violate the law in our house."
"Wait a minute. Mrs. John Smith? Of 12th Street? Didn't we cite you for the same thing last year?"
"Err..."

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he talking to his mother on the phone at the time? Of what?

Was she talking to the police on her cell phone? No
Was this embarrassing for his mom? Probably Will they laugh about it later? I don't know

Or was his mom in the car with him at the time? No Was it her car? Was what her car? Mike was in his car when he was cited for talking on a cell phone while driving, Mike's mom was in her car later when cited for the same thing Did it have a mechanism (such as a plug-in device) for a cell-phone that made it obvious the owner of the car also did this? irr

"Hi, Mom."
"WHAT? Oh, wait, a policeman's signalling me to stop, I'll lecture you later." <click> OTRT, but you've got the order wrong. </b>

Or:

"Your Honor, my son will never do this again. We don't teach him to violate the law in our house."
"Wait a minute. Mrs. John Smith? Of 12th Street? Didn't we cite you for the same thing last year?"
"Err..." No, OTWT

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently the click with the thingies around it messed up my bold tag
"Hi, Mom."
"WHAT? Oh, wait, a policeman's signalling me to stop, I'll lecture you later." OTRT, but you've got the order wrong
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it not Mike who told his mother that he was cited?
Instead, was it her who called him to lecture him?
And at that time, she was driving and caught by the police?

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it not Mike who told his mother that he was cited? irr how she found out
Instead, was it her who called him to lecture him? YES!
And at that time, she was driving and caught by the police? YES! YOU GOT IT!

****SPOILER****

So somehow Mike's mom found out that he got a ticket for talking on his phone while driving. So she decided to call him and yell at him - WHILE DRIVING! She got a ticket. Mike was also ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt (which I didn't mention in the puzzle), and so was Mike's mom, at the same time she was ticketed for talking on her cellphone while driving. From what my sister tells me, his mom is a really bad driver. She was driving Mike's sister (my sister's friend) and my sister to prom, and apparently was doing about 90 miles an hour. Surprisingly, she didn't get a ticket. Maybe the cops figured they should be focusing on getting drunk teenagers from prom off the road, not middle-aged women going 90.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17251
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle!

So "to clarsh" = to get a ticket from the police? To talk on the phone while driving?

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To talk on the phone while driving. Getting a ticket can't be included in the definition, due to my answer to the questions about people clarshing, which they did where/when it was legal.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: