[Noel] Argg! (neologism) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2012 » [Noel] Argg! (neologism) « Previous Next »

Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2940
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone! After a long absence from the forum, I thought I'd ease back into it by posting what I think is my first neologism. It's good to be back!

Wow! I'm happy to say that last night, I managed to argg not once, but twice! It shouldn't be so hard to do. No such difficulties exist for any similar product I can think of, though the tools used are the same.

What does it mean to arg?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back Noel.

Technology relevant? Relevant that this happened at night? Were you at home at the time?

Any relevant hobbies?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Technology relevant? no. Relevant that this happened at night? no Were you at home at the time? yes

Any relevant hobbies? no
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a common activety that most people would find themselves doing every now and then? Or trying to do?

Did you have to try several times before being able to argg twice? Do you usually have to?

Can you find this product at any well-assorted supermarket? In a grocery store? Hardware store?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a common activety that most people would find themselves doing every now and then? yes Or trying to do? yes

Did you have to try several times before being able to argg twice? There is no try. Either you argg, or you fail to argg Do you usually have to? see previous

Can you find this product at any well-assorted supermarket? I'm not sure I know the difference between a supermarket and a grocery store. I use the two terms as synonyms. Please clarify. In a grocery store? in most, but not all Hardware store? possibly
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is argg yawning?
Falling asleep quickly? (Ooops scratch that because you said it's all or nothing)

This common activity you speak of : would it be physical exercise?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2947
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is argg yawning? no
Falling asleep quickly? (Ooops scratch that because you said it's all or nothing) no

This common activity you speak of : would it be physical exercise? no
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "argg"-ing implying that you have to buy something?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "argg"-ing implying that you have to buy something? yope - buying something is a precursor to argging
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This thing you would buy, is it smaller than a pea? a tennisball? a football? a chair? a table?

Would you normally argg in your kitchen? bedroom? living room? bathroom? Or in any room? Can you argg outside?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This thing you would buy, is it smaller than a pea? a tennisball? roughly tennis ball sized a football? a chair? a table?

Would you normally argg in your kitchen? bedroom? most likely living room? bathroom? Or in any room? but any room is possible Can you argg outside? yes
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3237
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does it involve eating?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does it involve eating? no
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you need anything besides the product and yourself to argg? If so, more than one thing? Two three? Something that you would probably already have in your house?

Is this product very exspensive? Would you buy more than one at a time? Is it for one time only use, or may it be used several times? Would you be likely to buy it at least once a week? Monthly? Yearly?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2961
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you need anything besides the product and yourself to argg? Yope If so, more than one thing? no Two three? Something that you would probably already have in your house? yes

Is this product very expensive? no Would you buy more than one at a time? yes Is it for one time only use, or may it be used several times? several times Would you be likely to buy it at least once a week? no Monthly? not likely Yearly? yes
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm getting ready to head away from internet access for a few days, so here is a recap / a couple of hints before I go, to keep this one alive. I want to see new questions when I get back!

1: It is relevant that I was at home when I argged.
2: It is relevant that argging is most likely to be done in the bedroom.
3: It is relevant that it was night time, in that argging is more likely to happen in the evening for many people.
4: Despite 1-3 above, you could technically argg anywhere and at any time of day you wanted to, and it wouldn't affect your likelihood of success or failure.
5: Argging involves a small, inexpensive, reuseable item that is usually bought in multiples.
6: Explore the yope in response to Jondahr's last round of questions!
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you need some tool in addition to the product to argg? Would you find it in a toolbox? Amongst yout cutlery?

Does argging involve the use of your hands/fingers? Your mouth/teeth/lips? Some other part of your body? Eyes? Do you need your eyesight to argg? Or could you do it with you eyes closed?

Sleep relevant? Sex? Bed? Bedside table? Darkness?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you need some tool in addition to the product to argg? yope Would you find it in a toolbox? no Amongst your cutlery? yope - the ideal tool would not be here, but some cutlery would work

Does argging involve the use of your hands/fingers? yes Your mouth/teeth/lips? not usually, but it could Some other part of your body? no Eyes? Do you need your eyesight to argg? no Or could you do it with you eyes closed? yes, but your likelihood of success would decline

Sleep relevant? Sex? Bed? Bedside table? Darkness? none of the above
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ventriloquism relevant? (gottle og geer?)
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ventriloquism relevant? no (gottle og geer?)what??
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try saying bottle of beer without moving your lips
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try saying bottle of beer without moving your lips Ah, I see. It seems so obvious now that you say that. But anyway, it's completely irrelevant.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: What is usually in a bedroom besides a bed?
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wardrobe? A bedside table? A dressing table? A mirror? Any of these relevant?

Is hair relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wardrobe? OTRT A bedside table? A dressing table? I'm not actually sure what this is, exactly, but if it's just a table, then no A mirror? Any of these relevant? no to rest

Is hair relevant? no

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a hanger relevant? A clothes peg? Is argging the act of precariously balancing a wide-necked item of clothing on a hanger, then tightly jamming it in among the others without the item of clothing in question being pulled off the hanger? I always have problems with that. =P
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a hanger relevant? A clothes peg? Is argging the act of precariously balancing a wide-necked item of clothing on a hanger, then tightly jamming it in among the others without the item of clothing in question being pulled off the hanger? I always have problems with that. =P me too!
none of the above is relevant, but you are definitely on the right track now

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm.. which of the following is relevant:
Shirts? Dresses? Pants? Socks? Shoes? Jeans? Hats? Blankets? Pillowcases? Bedsheets? Towels? Underwear? A shelf? The wardrobe door?

Is argging the act of rolling socks up into a neat ball?
Anything to do with clothes being turned inside-out?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm.. which of the following is relevant:
Shirts? Dresses? Pants? Socks? this one Shoes? Jeans? Hats? Blankets? Pillowcases? Bedsheets? Towels? Underwear? A shelf? The wardrobe door?

Is argging the act of rolling socks up into a neat ball? no. But I couldn't do that successfully until in my 20s when my then boyfriend (now husband) taught me how =)
Anything to do with clothes being turned inside-out? no

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hee, as a child my mum used to tie my socks into knots; one day I discovered sock-balling and was blown away. =P

So is the product in question just a pair of socks? Or are there other 'tools' that are needed in conjunction with the socks?

Is argging the successful retrieval of a pair of matching socks, without looking?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hee, as a child my mum used to tie my socks into knots; one day I discovered sock-balling and was blown away. =P =)

So is the product in question just a pair of socks? yes, or often multiple pairs Or are there other 'tools' that are needed in conjunction with the socks? yope...there have been several questions about tools above that you may wish to review

Is argging the successful retrieval of a pair of matching socks, without looking? no

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know cutlery has been mentioned as a non-ideal but possible tool... Cutlery?! Now what sock-related activity could I do with cutlery?

Do the socks have to be new for argging to take place? Is the fact that socks bought in multiples are often attached to one another via bits of metal and plastic relevant?

Is needlework relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know cutlery has been mentioned as a non-ideal but possible tool... Cutlery?! Now what sock-related activity could I do with cutlery?

Do the socks have to be new for argging to take place? yes Is the fact that socks bought in multiples are often attached to one another via bits of metal and plastic relevant? yes

Is needlework relevant? no

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is argging the act of managing to smoothly slide the connecting plastic tag out from the socks after just one swift stroke of the scissors? Without harming the socks in the process?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is argging the act of managing to smoothly slide the connecting plastic tag out from the socks after just one swift stroke of the scissors? Without harming the socks in the process? this one, well done

***SPOILER***

To argg is to successfully remove the little plastic connectors out of a new pair of socks without damaging the socks.

Does anyone else have this frustration? I feel like I have tried everything -- cutting with scissors, pulling on the plastic connectors until they break, attempting to smoothly slide the tags out, etc. -- and not one technique I have tried works well. I find that the little tags are so short that I often manage to cut a pair of socks, or at least to irreparably snag a loop or two out of the fabric. So when I got two new pairs of socks and managed to get both out unharmed, I was probably more excited than I should have been. =)

I don't understand why they put such short (half inch or so?) connector tags on socks -- and so many of them (usually several tags per pair)!! No similar product has such short tags. The plastic connector tags on t-shirts, for example, are several inches long, so it's no problem to remove them.

"Argg" is derived from two sources - a sound of frustration (argh!) and the sock style "argyle"

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know what you mean, those short plastic tags are absurd! I think the trick that works for me is pulling the socks as far apart as possible, then gently nibbling away at the bit of visible plastic with the tip of a sharp, yet delicate pair of scissors.

Thanks for the puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: