[Sundowner] This day's an invitation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2012 » [Sundowner] This day's an invitation « Previous Next »

Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to have a scrund related to a particular music video clip. Later the scrund got resolved when I got some additional information.

How ignorant can they be? Don't they know at least ..?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...that California is in the USA? ... that Germany is in Europe? ... that the Moon is a satellite?

Were they ignorant about: historic facts? Geography?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma
...that California is in the USA? ... that Germany is in Europe? ... that the Moon is a satellite? Nothing of this kind.
Were they ignorant about: historic facts? No, with a tiny -ish Geography? No.
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did their ignorance have anything to do with...
...nationalities?
...specific types of people?
...professions?
...something else specificly human-relevant?
...something involving animals?
...nature/environment/vegetation?
...the meaning of specific words?
...laws of physics or similar?
...aspects of a specific culture?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr -- this time spelled right, sorry for the misspelling of your name in the other puzzle
Did their ignorance have anything to do with...
...nationalities? No.
...specific types of people? In one sense, yes.
...professions? No.
...something else specificly human-relevant? It is human-relevant but could apply also to animals.
...something involving animals? But here, animals are not involved.
...nature/environment/vegetation? No.
...the meaning of specific words? No.
...laws of physics or similar? No.
...aspects of a specific culture? Hmm. Let's say yope.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund have anything to do with music?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel
Does the scrund have anything to do with music? No, at least not directly.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3230
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the scrund contained in the lyrics of one of their songs?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez
is the scrund contained in the lyrics of one of their songs? Not contained, but the lyrics of one song are relevant.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4202
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we allowed ask questions about genre? year?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Are we allowed ask questions about genre? year? Sure. It's best described as "80's pop".
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4206
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh goodie an 80's pop puzzle.

Is the video very well known ? Was this a big hit? Apart from the lyrics is there something visual in the video that contributes to your having this scrund?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Is the video very well known? Yes, I think so. Was this a big hit? It was number one in Ireland and Germany, number three in UK, and in the top ten in many other countries. Apart from the lyrics is there something visual in the video that contributes to your having this scrund? Yes, very much so.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4209
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the video considered ground breaking from a technological perspective e.g A-Ha's 'Take on Me' or 'Thriller'

Is this song performed by a band? from the UK? US? other?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Was the video considered ground breaking from a technological perspective e.g A-Ha's 'Take on Me' or 'Thriller'? No, I would not say so.

Is this song performed by a band? By a solo singer. from the UK? US? other? From the UK.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying not to make this a guessing game but I've got a theory so I'll ask is it a male or female singer?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
I'm trying not to make this a guessing game but I've got a theory so I'll ask is it a male or female singer? Male.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The clip that contained your scrund, did it involve this singer directly (as in was he in frame)? Other actors/extras? Any instruments involved?

Was there something about the singer you thought was wrong? About the setting? The place he was? Something he did? Something somebody else was doing?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr
The clip that contained your scrund, did it involve this singer directly (as in was he in frame)? Yes. Other actors/extras? Yes. Any instruments involved? You mean, whether instruments were visible in the clip? I'm not sure, but not really relevant.

Was there something about the singer you thought was wrong? No (and possibly a false assumption). About the setting? This is closest. The place he was? No. Something he did? No. Something somebody else was doing? No.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17332
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to (then-)current events?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Related to the setting -- were any of the following details about the video relevant to your scrund?

The country it took place in?
The part of the world it took place in?
The culture it took place among?
The physical features (mountains, rivers, etc.) shown in the video?
The man-made location it was at?
Living plants or animals in the scene?
The time/era when it took place?
The time of day when it took place?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin
Was the scrund related to (then-)current events? No.

Noel
Related to the setting -- were any of the following details about the video relevant to your scrund?

The country it took place in?
The part of the world it took place in?
The culture it took place among?
The physical features (mountains, rivers, etc.) shown in the video?
The man-made location it was at?
Living plants or animals in the scene?
The time/era when it took place?
The time of day when it took place?
Of all this, only culture is somewhat relevant. But not so much as a cultural background or setting that features in the video as rather some aspect of culture in general.
(Hard to answer that, because I think there's still a false assumption about what my scrund was. Have a careful look at the puzzle statement?)
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINTS
1) My scrund was not that there was something wrong in the video what actually was correct. Rather, ..
2) Jondahr's questions of 26 July deserve some deeper investigation.
3) The title is a hint itself.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the music video clip give the impression that the makers of the video thought certain people were ignorant?
Or did you think that the creators of the music video were ignorant?

Any of these relevant:
Members of a certain culture?
A certain nationality?
Gender?
Age?
Social status?
Rich/poor?
Parents? Children? Other aspects of family?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr
Did the music video clip give the impression that the makers of the video thought certain people were ignorant?
Or did you think that the creators of the music video were ignorant? This one. Well done.

Any of these relevant:
Members of a certain culture? To some extent.
A certain nationality? Which is implied by this.
Gender? Yes.
Age? No.
Social status? No.
Rich/poor? No.
Parents? Children? Other aspects of family? No, with a very tiny -ish.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was a specific day referenced or shown? And something happened on that day in real life? That doesn't make sense with the rest of the song/video?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn
Was a specific day referenced or shown? No, the puzzle title is relevant in a different way. And something happened on that day in real life? No. That doesn't make sense with the rest of the song/video? But there was indeed something in the video that did not make sense.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure how to phrase this but was this one of those videos that attempts to tell the story contained in the song? or was it just a bunch of arty images set to music?

Was this a one hit wonder?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Not sure how to phrase this but was this one of those videos that attempts to tell the story contained in the song? or was it just a bunch of arty images set to music? More the first one.

Was this a one hit wonder? No.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anachronisms relevant?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn
Anachronisms relevant? No.
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn
Anachronisms relevant? No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick Kershaw? Howard Jones? Is it Synth pop music?

Lots of really cool solo males in the 80's including my fav Eddie Grant? It's not him I take it?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Nick Kershaw? Howard Jones? Both good guesses, but, unfortunately, no. Is it Synth pop music? No, I would not call it this way. Although a synth appears, the song is dominated by the singer's voice rather than synth music.

Lots of really cool solo males in the 80's including my fav Eddie Grant? It's not him I take it? It's not him. (and another scrund got resolved .. I did not know that he's from the UK, I always thought that he is from Jamaica or some other Caribbean island.)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4251
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well actually we're both sort of right. He was born in the Caribbean but moved to the UK as a young boy. He was a cool dude and no mistake.

Judging from your last response I'd say the singers voice was especially unique , is that the case?

Gary Numan ? Cars?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Judging from your last response I'd say the singers voice was especially unique, is that the case? Perhaps not especially, but you would recognize it when you hear it.

Gary Numan? Cars? No to both, sorry.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4254
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the solo artist formerly a member of a band? Was it Feargal Sharkey perhaps?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Was the solo artist formerly a member of a band? Actually, yes, but first of all he is known as a solo artist. Was it Feargal Sharkey perhaps? No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geroge Michael? Phil Collins?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
George Michael? Phil Collins? No, but it's getting closer.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, then Peter Gabriel it is?

Would one have to actually had seen the video to get the scrund? Or could one get scrund from the lyrics themselves?

(I for one, have not seen more than two or three music videos in my whole life - I'm astounded by how many of these song puzzles involve videos. Is this a European thing perhaps? In USA, I don't think that any of my personal friends watches music videos ala MTV {or if they did, they wouldn't admit it!} .. possibly the teenage crowd might watch music videos on cable TV, but no or very few adults do)
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, then Peter Gabriel it is?

Would one have to actually had seen the video to get the scrund? Or could one get scrund from the lyrics themselves?

(I for one, have not seen more than two or three music videos in my whole life - I'm astounded by how many of these song puzzles involve videos. Is this a European thing perhaps? In USA, I don't think that any of my personal friends watches music videos ala MTV {or if they did, they wouldn't admit it!} .. possibly the teenage crowd might watch music videos on cable TV, but no or very few adults do)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4264
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was going to guess Peter Gabriel and Sledgehammer but that video would have been considered ground breaking and an earlier question about whether the video was considered to be technologically ground breaking got a no.

Beechbum , you have to remember how popular music video's were in the 80's . They were the latest thing back then and there were many instances of a good video making a massive hit out of an ordinary song. We didn't have iPod's or uTube back then so music video was very cutting edge.

Of course I agree a music video puzzle for a current song might seem strange.
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the 80's music videos were still new, and there were lots of creative people in this field. There were some really good videos in the 80's, but now, I agree with you, it's just mass production.

(I'm sure there are a lot of people who still remember the video of "Take on me" .. but who remembers the video of any #1 song of the 2000's?)

OK, no more name guessing. The singer is Sir Elton John, and the song is "Nikita". The video is not ground breaking in any way, rather it is more or less average both from style and technology. But when I saw the video I immediately spotted something that makes me remember it till today.

For those who do not remember, the video basically shows a young blonde blue-eyed woman in the uniform of the East German border guards.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her uniform relevant? The Berlin Wall? Could you have had the same reaction if she had been in a West German uniform? A uniform from unified Germany?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel
Is her uniform relevant? No. The Berlin Wall? No. Could you have had the same reaction if she had been in a West German uniform? Actually, yes. A uniform from unified Germany? Theoretically, yes, only that they did not yet exist in 1985.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the woman relevant? Is Germany (East or West) relevant? The fact that Nikita is a Russian name (isn't it?)?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel
Is the woman relevant? Yes, it's relevant that she is a woman. Is Germany (East or West) relevant? Not especially. The fact that Nikita is a Russian name (isn't it?)? This is somewhat relevant.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4265
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that Nikita is a man's name? Krushchev relevant?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
The fact that Nikita is a man's name? Yes! Got it. Krushchev relevant? As a very prominent example of a man with this name, yes.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4266
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you thought the video was wrong because Nikita is a man's name but something happened subsequently that made you aware that the video was acutally correct, is that right?

Did you subsequently meet a female Nikita?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
So you thought the video was wrong because Nikita is a man's name Yes. but something happened subsequently that made you aware that the video was acutally correct, is that right? No. When I watched the video I thought ... (what you can read in the puzzle statement). But later I realized that it was rather purpose than ignorance.

Did you subsequently meet a female Nikita? No, unfortunately not.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the old TV show "La Femme Nikita" (the woman Nikita) relevant? If so, any specific details of the show? Or just the fact that it was also about a female Nikita?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe Elton John's sexuality is relevant. Was the video a bit of a private joke for Elton i.e. show a gorgeous blond but i'm really singing about a man?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel
Is the old TV show "La Femme Nikita" (the woman Nikita) relevant? No, and I must admit that I did not know about this show. If so, any specific details of the show? Or just the fact that it was also about a female Nikita? No.

Peter365
Maybe Elton John's sexuality is relevant. Was the video a bit of a private joke for Elton i.e. show a gorgeous blond but i'm really singing about a man? Yes.

.. and that qualifies for a ..
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SPOILER

How ignorant can they be? Don't they know at least ..?

In the 80's there were already widespread rumours about Elton John's homosexuality but he did not yet make it public. So, when I heard the song (knowing that Nikita is a men's name) I thought "ok, he wrote a song about a young man, so he's probably gay, and there is nothing strange about it".

But then I saw the video and immediately thought "gosh, could it be that he just did not know that Nikita is a man? he should have heard of Nikita Khrushchev at least."

Later I realized that the makers of the video very likely decided to show a woman instead of a man on purpose in order not to make it too obvious. (Elton John was still married that time.)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4271
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You won't believe me but early in this puzzle I thoght of Elton John and more so the song 'Nikita' but I dismissed it for some reason.

Nice puzzle Sundowner.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: