[Nimue] A Big Advantage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2012 » [Nimue] A Big Advantage « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 8243
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a former fat person, I am well aware of a certain ('certain' in both senses!) advantage of obesity that I've never heard anyone else mention. Of course it's not something obvious like eating whatever you want or knowing that your friends like you for yourself alone (or at least not for your slim figure). What is it?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not feeling the cold so much?
Being able to float in the water better than a skinny person?
Being able to say things like this without anyone thinking you are sterotyping?
(From a former and present middleweight, so what do I know?)
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of these relevant:
Health?
Clothes?
How fat people are viewed by society?
Your friends?
Family?
Food?

Could this advantage only be experienced by obese people? Could a person who was slightly overweight but not very fat experience it? A person who was not fat but was unusually tall? A person who was so fat they were housebound?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8247
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 146

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 1:20 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Not feeling the cold so much?No. (I felt the cold just as much when I was fat.)
Being able to float in the water better than a skinny person? no
Being able to say things like this without anyone thinking you are sterotyping?no
(From a former and present middleweight, so what do I know? Plenty, I hope! Firsthand experience is hardly the only path to knowledge.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1592

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 4:51 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Any of these relevant:
Health?no
Clothes? no
How fat people are viewed by society? yesish or yope
Your friends? no
Family? no
Food? no

Could this advantage only be experienced by obese people? see next answersCould a person who was slightly overweight no but not very fat experience it? Someone who is moderately overweight could experience it -- to a moderate degree. A person who was not fat but was unusually tall? possibly A person who was so fat they were housebound? no (but why would obesity itself make anyone housebound?)
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it about people not expecting you to do something you don't want to do? Or about people being more likely to find it ok if you do something you want to do? People underestimating an ability of you? Overestimating?

Stereotypes about fat people relevant?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The relevant aspects of being fat:
Being physically larger than average?
Being heavier than average?
Being considered negatively by some people?
Being considered positively?

Did being fat give you an excuse to do something? Not to do something? To do something differently? To act a certain way?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8248
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 1182

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 9:29 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it about people not expecting you to do something you don't want to do? noish Or about people being more likely to find it ok if you do something you want to do? no People underestimating an ability of you? no Overestimating? no

Stereotypes about fat people relevant? noish or yope
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1593

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 9:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
The relevant aspects of being fat:
Being physically larger than average? yes
Being heavier than average? only insofar as the previous answer holds
Being considered negatively by some people? yes
Being considered positively? no

Did being fat give you an excuse to do something? noish Not to do something? noish To do something differently? noishTo act a certain way? no
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you able to use more space when sitting in a bus or train? more table space in the cafeteria or in the library?
Were you more comfortable with putting your things, purse, books, .. on the seat next to you in the train because there was anyway not enough space for somebody else to sit there?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8249
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1084

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 8:55 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Were you able to use more space when sitting in a bus or train? yes more table space in the cafeteria or in the library? no
Were you more comfortable with putting your things, purse, books, .. on the seat next to you in the train because there was anyway not enough space for somebody else to sit there? noish, but you're very ORT (on the right track
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did other people not want to sit next to you, so you usually got more space?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8252
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1600

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 11:54 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did other people not want to sit next to you, so you usually got more space? yes

************ SPOILER ************
Do you ever take long train trips? They're fun, especially if you get a double seat all to yourself. Being fat makes this delightful possibility more likely, because no one wants to share a seat with a fat person (who is bound to take more than his share). A study has verified this, along with the fact that mosr white people avoid sharing a seat with a black person. Amazingly, the study gave both types of reluctance as evidence of bigotry. Isn't that ridiculous? Only a bigot would care about the race of his seat mate, but there's an obvious practical reason to care about his girth. There's also an obvious practical reason to scroll down to the bottom of the page: my replacement puzzle is there!!
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there is a natural tendency to choose a seatmate who is most like you - e.g. a woman would choose to sit by another woman, an older person by another older person. But I can see why there wouldn't be room for two fat people side by side!

Simple puzzle, but a good one.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8267
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if that's a natural tendency, I'm unnatural. When I have to share a seat, I aim for the smallest adult. (I figure that children are more likely to fidget into my space.) By the way, why use the euphemism 'older person' as if there were something wrong with being just plain old????????
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8268
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if that's a natural tendency, I'm unnatural. When I can't avoid sharing a double seat, I look fior the smallest adult seat-mate. (I figure that children are more likely to fidget into my territory.) By the way, why use the euphemism 'older person' as if there were something wrong with being old?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was using 'older person' as simply descriptive, not a euphemism. What would be a better choice? Old geezer/geezerine?
But as you say, we would all prefer not to share, if possible.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8279
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, how about 'old person'?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. Everyone is older than someone, even a 2-day old baby. But 'old person' is too general. How about OAP (old age pensioner) as per the Brits, e.g. old enough to collect Social Security? (over 62)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 8282
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the US, 'old person' may mean different things in different contexts, but it usually means someone over 65 or so. The vagueness is a problem only when precision is needed, which it often isn't. 'Old age pensioner' isn't commonly used in the US.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: