[Doriana] This is not an anti-America... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2012 » [Doriana] This is not an anti-American puzzle « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is Laura glad that her boyfriend is not from the US?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they could travel to Cuba together? So she could practice her ________ language skills? So he could translate for her when they traveled? So she could get dual citizenship if they got married?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they could travel to Cuba together? No (and I actually only learned that Americans can't travel to Cuba some days ago) So she could practice her ________ language skills? no So he could translate for her when they traveled? no So she could get dual citizenship if they got married? no
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Laura from the US? A European nation? Africa? South America? Middle East? Asia? Australia? Pacific Islands?
Is her boyfriend from a European nation? Africa? South America? Middle East? Asia? Australia? Pacific Islands?

Would his nationality affect his ability to participate in some event? Would it affect her ability to participate in some event?
Does Laura's nationality affect her ability to participate in something?

Is he an Olympian? And if he were from the US she would have a hard time be able to spot him in the Parade of Nations? If he were from the US he wouldn't have qualified for his event (too much competition) - so he wouldn't even be able to participate?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Laura from the US? no A European nation? Africa? South America? Middle East? Asia? Australia? no Pacific Islands? all others are possible, with some exceptions
Is her boyfriend from a European nation? Africa? South America? Middle East? Asia? Australia? no Pacific Islands? All others are possible, with some exceptions

Would his nationality affect his ability to participate in some event? Would it affect her ability to participate in some event?
Does Laura's nationality affect her ability to participate in something?
no to all

Is he an Olympian? And if he were from the US she would have a hard time be able to spot him in the Parade of Nations? If he were from the US he wouldn't have qualified for his event (too much competition) - so he wouldn't even be able to participate?
no to all
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they from the same country?
Is the English language relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they from the same country? no, and this is important
Is the English language relevant? yes
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5759
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are their countries part of the Commonwealth Realms? Not part of the Commonwealth Realms? (I'm expecting the latter since Australia was explicitly ruled out, but...)

Do either of them speak English at all? Somewhat? Do they speak it fluently?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are their countries part of the Commonwealth Realms? no Not part of the Commonwealth Realms? yes (I'm expecting the latter since Australia was explicitly ruled out, but...)

Do either of them speak English at all? Somewhat? Do they speak it fluently? both speak it almost fluently - good q
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they have different native languages? Do they use English as their common language, to communicate with each other? Does Laura find American accents hard to understand? Is it relevant how they met? Would they not have met if he had been from the US?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they have different native languages? yes Do they use English as their common language, to communicate with each other? yes Does Laura find American accents hard to understand? no Is it relevant how they met? no Would they not have met if he had been from the US? irrel
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she glad specifically that he is not from the US? Or glad that English is not his first language? Is she pleased that they both have to talk in a foreign language, rather than one of them constantly having to use the other's language?

Do they have any other languages in common?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she glad specifically that he is not from the US? Or glad that English is not his first language? this Is she pleased that they both have to talk in a foreign language, rather than one of them constantly having to use the other's language? yesish

Do they have any other languages in common? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she feel that having to speak English together has brought them closer? Improved their relationship? Do they go to English classes together? Visit English-speaking countries?

Do they have children? Are they planning to? Will this stop arguments over what language to teach the children?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she feel that having to speak English together has brought them closer? Improved their relationship? Do they go to English classes together? Visit English-speaking countries?
no to all

Do they have children? no Are they planning to? yes, but irrel Will this stop arguments over what language to teach the children? no
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dual nationality relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dual nationality relevant? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If her boyfriend was a native English speaker, would she feel embarrassed/self-conscious speaking to him in case she made mistakes?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If her boyfriend was a native English speaker, would she feel embarrassed/self-conscious speaking to him in case she made mistakes? YES!

********SPOILER********
First of all, Laura is me, yours truly Doriana.

My boyfriend and I both speak English as a second language, and it's our only common language. Although my English is very good, I still feel self-conscious when I talk to a native speaker because I don't want to make any mistakes.

I'm glad that my boyfriend is not from the US (or any other English speaking country) because I'm more at ease when I talk to someone who's not a native speaker either.

Nice solve, Enjay, and thanks for playing (:
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana, the only thing that might mark you as a non-native speaker of English, is that your English is BETTER!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4308
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana

It's a compliment to you that I would never have guessed for a second that you are not a native English speaker.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Solo and Peter, but I carefully double-check everything I post on the LTPF. As soon as I have to talk to a native speaker, I get really nervous and suddenly I'm all like "Me speak potato"... and, I have an accent.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: