[Chook943] Maths puzzle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2012 » [Chook943] Maths puzzle « Previous Next »

Chook943 (Chook943)
Username: Chook943

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how do you turn any four digit number to a single digit number using one unchanging rule?

for instance
1000 goes to 3
2000 goes to 3
9000 goes to 4
8000 goes to 5
1234 goes to 0
4321 goes to 0

You should be able to do it in your head
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's the rule that I think it is, 1234 and 4321 should be 1, not 0... Hmmm...

And, this is not really a lateral puzzle, is it?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By counting the number of "circles" or "loops" in the numbers.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. It is a lateral puzzle since you have to make the mental leap of not thinking of it as an arithmetic problem. Well... at least not THAT kind of arithmetic problem.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Doriana. Requiring lateral thought doesn't automatically make something a lateral puzzle. You shouldn't be able to deduce the answer on your own without back and forth (in the form of yes/no questions) with the puzzle host.

But, welcome to the forum, Chook! I'd suggest taking a look at other puzzles on the forum to get an idea of the kinds of puzzles we do here.
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2012 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I disagree, being able to deduce the answer on your own simply means the puzzle had (a)enough information or (b)it was easy. Every so often people get the answer right away even if neither of the above conditions was true. And there are plenty of questions that somebody could have asked the Original Poster if they didn't immediately see the solution.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My only problem is with the last sentence, I don't get it. If I can solve it immediately, in my head, there's no puzzle. If I cannot, can I ask questions?.. In the end, I'll stick with Doriana and Noel... Solving an equation might require a LOT of lateral thinking, but it is not a puzzle
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17608
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to settle the matter I'll say we have a SPOILER.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: