[Balin]'s Quantum Deuxgaloo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2012 » [Balin]'s Quantum Deuxgaloo « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17611
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How was I able to approximate the date that one of my textbooks was written by reading only the back cover?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17612
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before I forget: There is some special knowledge needed that will become evident as the puzzle progresses. When it gets to that point, I'll link to a page containing that knowledge, but won't actually tell you what it is.

Also before I forget: I = my = me (Balin)
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it information (words? map?) that gave the date away?
A picture, say of a car? or a building? or the non-existance of a building that now exists?
Or was it something like the style of the cover?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it related to some important (worldwide) event?

Is it important what kind of textbook it was?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the back cover describe the contents of the book? did it mention the author? did it mention some belief or attitude that is now known to be false? or an out of date fact? or alternatively did you know the book was recent because it mentioned a newly discovered fact?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "approximate", do you mean ~10 years? ~5 years? ~1 year? even more accurate than this?

Is the subject relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17617
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it information (words? map?) that gave the date away? Yes, words, so No to rest
A picture, say of a car? or a building? or the non-existance of a building that now exists?
Or was it something like the style of the cover?

did the back cover describe the contents of the book? did it mention the author? This is relevant did it mention some belief or attitude that is now known to be false? or an out of date fact? As is this or alternatively did you know the book was recent because it mentioned a newly discovered fact?

By "approximate", do you mean ~10 years? ~5 years? ~1 year? even more accurate than this? I correctly stated "late '90s, probably closer to the end of the decade" -- the book was written in 1999

Is the subject relevant? No
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2666
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the author male? female? relevant?
American? relevant?
Still alive?

Did the book mention the Year 2000 Problem? Anything else related to the new millenium?

Was the relevant fact related to science? religion? culture?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops, the list wasn't complete yet...

politics? sports? demographics? environment?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17621
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the author male? Yes female? relevant? No
American? Yes relevant? Somewhat
Still alive? Yes

Did the book mention the Year 2000 Problem? Anything else related to the new millenium? No to both

Was the relevant fact related to science? religion? culture? politics? sports? demographics? environment? No to all
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the author well known? were they well known in the 90s but not now? did something change about the author after 1999? did the book fail to mention an achievement they made later? did it mention their family?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17623
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the author well known? were they well known in the 90s but not now? did something change about the author after 1999? did the book fail to mention an achievement they made later? did it mention their family? No to all
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you notice something about the ISBN number? Is it relevant that it was an American book? Was a president or other famous person depicted on the back cover? If only text suggested you the approx. publishing date, was it an error famous in the appropriate timeframe? Some theory that was soon put to rest because of a better proof?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17628
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you notice something about the ISBN number? Is it relevant that it was an American book? Yes, No to rest Was a president or other famous person depicted on the back cover? If only text suggested you the approx. publishing date, was it an error famous in the appropriate timeframe? "Famous" would not be the right word, but I noticed instantly for relevant reasons. And at the time of publishing, it was not an error (HINT) Some theory that was soon put to rest because of a better proof?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4342
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it list the author's achievements? background? qualifications? Was something referred to that no longer exists? has changed it's name?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17635
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it list the author's achievements? background? All of these but I guess this is the most relevant qualifications?
Was something referred to that no longer exists? has changed it's name? This
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is his nationality relevant?did it say he was from a country that has changed its name? did it mention where he studied? worked?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17637
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is his nationality relevant? No did it say he was from a country that has changed its name? No did it mention where he studied? I forget, but... worked? Yes!
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of the former Yugoslavia countries?

Did the back cover mention the new name of the country (thus allowing you to infer that the book was written after the split of the country)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17638
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of the former Yugoslavia countries? Did the back cover mention the new name of the country (thus allowing you to infer that the book was written after the split of the country)? I said No to the countries
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, you're right. I was misled when you mentioned where he worked.. hang on... .. did that "where" refer to something else than a country (eg an institution)?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's an institution, has it changed its name? Has it merged with another institution? split up into several smaller institutions?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17641
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hang on... .. did that "where" refer to something else than a country Yes (eg an institution)? Yes, a specific type of institution

If it's an institution, has it changed its name? Yes Has it merged with another institution? split up into several smaller institutions?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the institution a university? anything government-related?

Is it named after a person?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17644
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the institution a university? Yes, No to rest anything government-related? Is it named after a person?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3184
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it change its name from _ College to _ University? Did it create a hybrid name after merging with another school? Did it get renamed to honor a sponsor/supporter? Did it get renamed after a negative incident?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17646
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it change its name from _ College to _ University? Yes; No to rest Did it create a hybrid name after merging with another school? Did it get renamed to honor a sponsor/supporter? Did it get renamed after a negative incident?

Last piece of information: how did I know this?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3193
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the college you go/went to? A college in your hometown?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17651
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the college you go/went to? Yes. A college in your hometown?

**********SPOILER**********

For one of my classes, I needed a textbook written by that class's professor. When reading the back of the book, it said that he teaches at "Elon College." However, I go there, and I know that it changed its name to "Elon University" in 2001. So I estimated that the book was written in the late '90s, closer to the end of the decade. And I was right; it was written in 1999.

Nice solve everyone, especially Noel who did a lot of the work. New puzzle as soon as I remember the one I want to post...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: