Solo1 [Meow Meow] Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2012 » Solo1 [Meow Meow] « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do I feel obligated to talk about my cat to strangers?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops,forgot my name. I mean, I know my name, but..... Can someone fix it for me, pretty please?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, Solo?

Your cat - is it still alive?
Is any of the following relevant about your cat: Name? Breed? Gender? Age? Physical apperance? Habits? Diseases/allergies? Preferences (food etc.)?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you talk about your cat:

- to excuse yourself?
- to help the strangers somehow?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, Solo? Yes

Your cat - is it still alive? No, and this is somewhat relevant.
Is any of the following relevant about your cat: Name? YES, no to all the rest.

Do you talk about your cat:
- to excuse yourself? Yes, svv of 'excuse.'
- to help the strangers somehow? no
Rogerchang (Rogerchang)
Username: Rogerchang

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you name the cat after you or one of youe family members?

The stranger's background relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you react in a weird way when someone uses your cat's name in a conversation? And then you explain it to them?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you name the cat after you or one of your family members? No to both, and I'm not sure I named the cat.

The stranger's background relevant? Depends on your defination of 'background.' Something about them, in general, is relevant.

Do you react in a weird way no when someone uses your cat's name in a conversation? No; n.r. The other person does not use the name.
Rogerchang (Rogerchang)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strangers' profession relevant?
nationality?
age?
gender?

Do they have at least one thing relevant in common?
more?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strangers' profession relevant? Yope
nationality? no age? adult, otherwise n.r. gender? no

Do they have at least one think relevant in common? Yes! more? Other than speaking English, no.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2576
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the one relevant thing the fact you both speak English?

Can your cat's name be taken as a cultural reference of some kind?

Would the introductory statement hold true were your cat still alive?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the one relevant thing the fact you both speak English? Hmm...maybe this needs a clarification. We both speak English, or we couldn't understand one another. "They" speak English, and are speaking with me, but they have something (very general) in common with each other.
Can your cat's name be taken as a cultural reference of some kind? The name itself, no.
Would the introductory statement hold true were your cat still alive? Yes.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the thing the "strangers" have in common that they visit you at home? Is there some item in your house with the cat's name on it?
Did the cat have a name that is also pretty normal for a human being? And your visitors might start asking who is ...?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the thing the "strangers" have in common that they visit you at home? No. They do not visit me at home. Is there some item in your house with the cat's name on it? No
Did the cat have a name that is also pretty normal for a human being? No, tho not really a typical 'cat' name either.
Rogerchang (Rogerchang)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You and the strangers spoke on the Internet?

relevant?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When they're speaking to you, do you see them face to face? Do they speak to you by phone? skype?
or is the speaking "non-acoustic", i.e. internet chatting? emailing? sign language?
Do they mention the cat's name? do you? if both: do they mention the cat's name first?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4359
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they all of the same nationality? any religious beliefs about cats relevant e.g. Egypt?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You and the strangers spoke on the Internet? Possibly relevant? Yessish
When they're speaking to you, do you see them face to face? Possibly; n.r. Do they speak to you by phone? Possibly, in fact usually. skype? unlikely
or is the speaking "non-acoustic",i.e. internet chattinng? emailing? Possibly, but in fact not. sign language? as before.
Do they mention the cat's name? do you? this if both: do they mention the cat's name first? no, but they mention the word 'name' first - that's a HINT.
Are they all of the same nationality? unknown; n.r. any religious beliefs about cats relevant e.g. Egypt? unknown; n.r.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3516
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you mention your cat's name, are you really talking about something else?

is it a password?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you mention your cat's name, are you really talking about something else? Yope
Is it a password? Yes/yessish! When I forget my password/PIN number for something, 'they' ask me a question to determine if I am the account holder, and one question is "What was your first pet's name?"
But after I tell them the name, why do I feel like I need to continue the conversation & explain further?
Rogerchang (Rogerchang)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You answered the wrong name?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3520
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is your cat's name something really wild? or funny?

is it a name usually given to a person? is it an adjective? a verb? one word?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You answered the wrong name? No, I gave the correct name.
Is your cat's name something really wild? DOYD of 'wild.' Not something related to a wild animal. or funny? Could be interpreted that way. Explore this.
Is it a name usually given to a person? No! Is it an adjective? a verb? It is a noun. one word? Yes
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name Anonymous?
Did they ask back because they thought they misunderstood you? because they could not imagine that this is a pet's name?

Is the name Friday?
Or is the name simply Cat?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name Anonymous? Good lateral thinking, but no.
Did they ask back no because they thought they misunderstood you? No, I volunteered the information. because they could not imagine that this is a pet's name? Yes, this is closest to the fact.

Is the name Friday?
Or is the name simply Cat? No to both. Too obvbious! The name gave no hint that the pet was a cat.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3522
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the name a proper noun? is it plural?

is the name a part of the body? something that occurs in nature? an element? something connected with sport or games?

is it abstract?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name a proper noun? No Is it plural? Yes, tho the cat was singular.
Is the name a partof the body? no something that occurs in nature? Yope an element? No something connected with sport or games? no
Is it abstract? No
Rogerchang (Rogerchang)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name Pluto? :D

You said the name was plural. You meant there was an "s" at the end of the name? Plural in another way? Like geese as the plural form of goose?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name Pluto? :D Hehee. No, not a 'doggy' name.
You said the name was plural. You meant there was an "s" at the end of the name? Yes Plural in another way? No.
I don't expect anyone to come up with the exact name, just the _sort_ of thing it represented.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

measles?

my cats are called Spangles and Ruffles. just thought I'd say..

does the name in any way apply to the ex-cat's appearance? nature? personality?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

measles? no, but OTRT
my cats are called Spangles and Ruffles. just thought I'd say..and even more OTRT!
does the name in any way apply to the ex-cat's appearance? nature? personality? I supposed the name appeared perfectly logical to my 6-year-old mind, but I have no idea why now.

************SPOILER**************
I tell them my pet's name was Raisins, and then I feel that I have to explain: "Raisins was a cat. I don't want you to think we were so poor that the only pet I had was a bit of dried fruit."
This usually gets a chuckle from the person I am talking to, and defuses a possibly tense situation.

Thanks to all you cat-lovers who took part. Rowwrr powerr!
BTW, Shez, why are they Spangles & Ruffles? Just curious.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3530
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm really into ballroom dancing. before they arrived they were going to be called Foxtrot and Quick Steps, but the names didn't suit them. Spangles and Ruffles remind me of all the glitz and glamour of the ballroom and my lovely dresses. and I think Raisins is a lovely name!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3531
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm really into ballroom dancing. before they arrived they were going to be called Foxtrot and Quick Steps, but the names didn't suit them. Spangles and Ruffles remind me of all the glitz and glamour of the ballroom and my lovely dresses. and I think Raisins is a lovely name!
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And she was a lovely cat! I just found out that raisins can be toxic to dogs, and Raisins was toxic to dogs - she would run off dogs 6 times her size!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: