[Doriana] Family Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2013 » [Doriana] Family Scrund « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me, giggling: "You know, when I was a kid I always thought that _________!"
Mum: "What?! You mean it doesn't?"

That was when I realised that my mum had given me a scrund on a topic that we both know relatively little about - but she only got rid of the scrund two days ago.

(_________ stands for the scrund)
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18066
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund Christmas-related? New Year's?

"A topic you know little about": Is that topic more related to a country other than Germany?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund Christmas-related? New Year's? no to both

"A topic you know little about": Is that topic more related to a country other than Germany? no
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3650
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it about the weather? the solar system? a natural phenomenon? language?

science? the arts? government? sport? emotions?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it about the weather? the solar system? a natural phenomenon? no to these language? this

science? no the arts? and this government? sport? emotions? no to rest
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3651
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

about literature? cinema? theatre?

words? the meaning of a word? usage?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

about literature? cinema? theatre? no to all

words? the meaning of a word? this usage?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An English word? German? Does the word relate to the subject that you know little about? Is it a rarely-used word? A technical term? An ambiguous word?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An English word? German? no to both Does the word relate to the subject that you know little about? yes Is it a rarely-used word? yesish A technical term? no An ambiguous word? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it relate to a subject within the arts? If so, painting? Sculpture? Dance? Writing? History? Geography? Language?

Is it a word that is used by English speakers? German speakers? Is it Latin? Greek? From a European language? Asian language? African language?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it relate to a subject within the arts? yes If so, painting? Sculpture? Dance? Writing? History? Geography? Language? but none of these

Is it a word that is used by English speakers? yes German speakers? yes Is it Latin? Greek? no to these From a European language? yes(ish) to this Asian language? African language? no to these
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russian?
Is it related to an aesthetic art? A creative art? Philosophy? Politics? Food?

Did you think the word meant something that it didn't? Did you have it confused with a similar sounding word?

Does the word refer to a concept? An object? A person? Is it a name?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3123
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russian? no
Is it related to an aesthetic art? A creative art? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is - it's a performing art Philosophy? Politics? Food? no to rest

Did you think the word meant something that it didn't? yes Did you have it confused with a similar sounding word? no

Does the word refer to a concept? An object? no A person? yes to this Is it a name? and to this
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you realise that the name was a name? Was the scrund to do with the person? What they did? What they were famous for? A fact about them? Has the name come to be a word in itself, or would it only be used in reference to the person?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3124
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you realise that the name was a name? noish Was the scrund to do with the person? yesish What they did? yesish What they were famous for? FA A fact about them? yesish Has the name come to be a word in itself, yope or would it only be used in reference to the person?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was/is the person famous? Had you come across the word before but not realised the connection with the person? Is the name used as a word to talk of something related to the person (eg describing something as Orwellian)?

Did you believe that there was a different origin behind the name? Behind a related word?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3125
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was/is the person famous? no, somewhat of an FA Had you come across the word before but not realised the connection with the person? no Is the name used as a word to talk of something related to the person (eg describing something as Orwellian)? no

Did you believe that there was a different origin behind the name? yesish Behind a related word? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it singing? playing an instrument? conducting an orchestra?

is the name also the name of an instrument? a piece of music? a style of playing? singing?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3129
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it singing? this is closest. I'll just tell you that it's drama / opera playing an instrument? conducting an orchestra?

is the name also the name of an instrument? a piece of music? a style of playing? singing? no to all, OTWT
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it the name of an opera? a composer? a character?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3133
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it the name of an opera? part of it a composer? no a character? yes
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3145
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP

Both my mum and I used to have a scrund about the meaning of a word. The word is the name of a character in an opera (and part of the name of the opera where the character appears), but my mum and I thought it meant...
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carmen?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carmen? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think Don Giovanni's first name was Donald?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3149
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think Don Giovanni's first name was Donald? no, but a nice idea
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18075
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Figaro? (in The Marriage of Figaro)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Figaro? (in The Marriage of Figaro) YES! And what did we think it meant?
Rogerchang (Rogerchang)
Username: Rogerchang

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you thought it was Figaro who was getting married in the opera?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you thought it was Figaro who was getting married in the opera? no
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless you had the same childhood scrund as me, this is going to seem like a weird question.

Is Disney relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Disney relevant? as far as I know, no. But now I'm curious - what's your scrund?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3343
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought Figaro meant "cat," because of the cat named Figaro in Pinnochio. So when they'd sing "Fi-ga-ro, Fi-ga-ro, Fi-ga-ro", I assumed it was a song about a cat.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought Figaro meant "cat," because of the cat named Figaro in Pinnochio. So when they'd sing "Fi-ga-ro, Fi-ga-ro, Fi-ga-ro", I assumed it was a song about a cat. Ah! Well, that's not too far from my scrund...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3345
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your scrund involve animals?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3183
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your scrund involve animals? no. But here's another embarrassing scrund of mine envolving animals: I thought that the original Oliver Twist had animals as its main characters, because the animated series has...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3346
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your scrund arise from a character in a movie/play/novel/tv show/etc? (other than the opera, of course)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3184
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your scrund arise from a character in a movie/play/novel/tv show/etc? (other than the opera, of course) no. Only the opera character is relevant.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait.... Figaro wasn't getting married in the opera?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3189
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait.... Figaro wasn't getting married in the opera? He was planning to, but he doesn't actually end up marrying his fiancée...
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you have this scrund before seeing the opera? after?

did you think Figaro was a woman?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you think that the word Figaro meant something else other than a name?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3192
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you have this scrund before seeing the opera? after? I've never seen the opera

did you think Figaro was a woman? no

did you think that the word Figaro meant something else other than a name? yes
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that it meant "barber" in Italian?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3193
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that it meant "barber" in Italian? YES!

********SPOILER********
The other day, my mum and I were listening to a radio station called "Figaro" that mainly plays classical music.
Seeing the station name, I said, "You know, when I was a kid I always thought that 'figaro' meant 'barber' in Italian!", to which my mum replied, "What?! You mean it doesn't?"

I even had to show her that there is no entry for 'figaro' in an Italian dictionary - she couldn't believe she had had this scrund for 50 years!

Nice work! New puzzle will be up in a minute.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - it was just a shot in the dark :-))

Thanks for the puzzle, Doriana!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: