[Solo1] More political outrageousness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2013 » [Solo1] More political outrageousness « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones were political rivals. Mr. Smith made a campaign speech in which he said some things about Mr. Jones that were true, and did not indicate that Jones was a bad person. In fact, some of them were flattering. Nevertheless, it was considered dirty politics. Smith won the election, but this would come back to haunt him.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it information irrelevant to politics? Personal information? Information about: family? Relatives? Relations? Past actions? Opinions? Beliefs? Medical issues?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it information irrelevant to politics? Yes Personal information? Information about: family? Relatives? Relations? Past actions? Yes to all.Opinions? Beliefs? Medical issues? Not so much these.
Good start!
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4909
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it considered dirty because: the information was irrelevant to politics? Because it was private? Confidential? Secret? Relevant how the information was gained?
Abc (Abc)
Username: Abc

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The positive things that were said - were they things that nevertheless gave the impression that Jones was unfit for the job?
Such as, for example, "he is a really devoted family man, who prioritises his children above everything else" (leaving to the listeners to draw the conclusion "...so if a child of his comes down with a cold during a political crisis...")
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it considered dirty because: the information was irrelevant to politics?They were irrelevant, but that is not why this was considered dirty politics. Because it was
The positive things that were said - were they things that nevertheless gave the impression that Jones was unfit for the job? Yes, they were phrased so as to give that impression.
Such as, for example, "he is a really devoted family man, who prioritises his children above everything else" (leaving to the listeners to draw the conclusion "...so if a child of his comes down with a cold during a political crisis...") but not like that, although it was implied that Jones was a good family man. OTWT, sort of.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Galfish, I accidentally cut this off.
Because it was private? Confidential? Secret? Relevant how the information was gained? No to all.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mr Jones an average person with an average family life, or was there something which could potentially disqualify him as a politician?

If so, was it related to his behaviour? If so, was it something he did in the past/was still doing.

You said no to medical issues so I assume there was nothing like a hereditary illness or something in his family, is this correct?

Did Smith allege that Jones's behaviour was immoral?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mr Jones an average person with an average family life, Yes or was there something which could potentially disqualify him as a politician?

If so, was it related to his behaviour? If so, was it something he did in the past/was still doing. Yes to all

You said no to medical issues so I assume there was nothing like a hereditary illness or something in his family, is this correct? Correct

Did Smith allege that Jones's behaviour was immoral? No, but.....You might explore this point.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4941
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Smith disclose behavior that someone else could interpret as immoral? Religion relevant? Morality relevant? Sports? Relevant what political position they were running for?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 407
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Smith disclose behavior that someone else could interpret as immoral?Yes! Religion relevant?Yope Morality relevant? Yes Sports?No Relevant what political position they were running for? US House of Representatives; n.r.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That he spends a lot of time with his family? Which is good, but bad because he can't spend too much time with his family if he's a Congressman in Washington? Or something like "he's a very dedicated X, and I'm sure that won't change if he's elected" meaning he'd spend too much time doing X rather than being a Congressman?

To clarify, would this work for all elected offices? For President? Vice President? Senator? State Senator? Governor?

Is the fact that he'd have to spend so much time in Washington if elected relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That he spends a lot of time with his family? Which is good, but bad because he can't spend too much time with his family if he's a Congressman in Washington? Or something like "he's a very dedicated X, and I'm sure that won't change if he's elected" meaning he'd spend too much time doing X rather than being a Congressman? No, nothing to do with the time spent doing anything.

To clarify, would this work for all elected offices? For President? Vice President?Doubt it, and sincerely hope not! Senator? State Senator? Governor? This happened some time ago, and in that time-frame might have happened in any of these cases.

Is the fact that he'd have to spend so much time in Washington if elected relevant? As above, no.

Truthfully, I'm not sure it ever really happened; many consider this an urban legend - although Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones (not their real names) were real politicians and did run for the same office.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Smith "praise" Jones in words but his real intention was to allege that Smith was doing something wronf?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2617
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Race/origin relevant?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Smith want to discredit Jones in the eyes of a specific segment of the electorate?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Smith "praise" Jones in words but his real intention was to allege that Smith was doing something wronf?Yes!
Race/origin relevant?No
Did Smith want to discredit Jones in the eyes of a specific segment of the electorate? Yes
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he want to discredit his opponent in the eyes of Men? Women? Youth? The elderly? A specific nationality? People living in a specific geographic area? The rich? The poor? The neither-rich-nor-poor? The jobless? Students? The handica... I mean, the functionally challenged?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he want to discredit his opponent in the eyes of Men? Women? Youth? The elderly? A specific nationality?n.r. to all People living in a specific geographic area?this The rich? The poor? mostly the poorThe neither-rich-nor-poor? The jobless? possibly some, but not nec. all Students?no The handica... I mean, the functionally challenged?Not functionally, but you might say challenged in a way.
And I think we're getting very close!
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The stu... I mean, the intellectually challenged?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The stu... I mean, the intellectually challenged?or the uneducated, yes.
*********SPOILER****************
In 1950, George Smathers and Claude Pepper, former friends, opposed each other in the Democratic primary in Florida. Smathers susposedly made the following speech:
"Are you aware that Claude Pepper is known all over Washington as a shameless extrovert? Not only that, but this man is reliably reported to practice neopotism with his sister-in-law, he has a brother who is a known homo sapiens, and he has a sister who wa once a thespian in wicked New York. Worst of all, it is an establshed fact that Mr. Pepper, before his marriage, habitually practiced celibacy."
Unfortunately, or fortunately, this seems to have been a hoax, but Time magazine apparenty believed it and gave it wide currency.

Alhucema for President of the LTPF!
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Solo! I would gladly accept the nomination but I am afraid the media would soon find out my dark secret - I have been heavily dependent on dihydrogen monoxide for many years, in fact so much that if I fail to have my regular daily dosis, I would die within three days.

Great puzzle!
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh. Fun puzzle. Alhucema - dihydrogen monoxide? You're joking? Isn't that the horrible substance that killed 1512 people who was exposed to it in one fell swoop as early as 1912? And we STILL have tons of it around in every country on the Earth now, more than 100 years later? Will people never learn?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Al and Abc, you are not only at the top of the alphabet but the top of my list as well.
But of course, abnormally high IQ's are the norm among LTPFers. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: