[peter365] Bin there done that Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2013 » [peter365] Bin there done that « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4422
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone , this is a tad silly but we'll see how it goes

A man eats his packed lunch everyday at his desk. Right beside the desk there are a number of recycling bins which include ones for food waste, paper products etc. Despite this, he brings his lunch waste home with him every day and disposes of it there. There is a specific (hopefully hard to figure out) reason why he does this. What do think that might be?

Actually if the guy ever thought about it there are numerous other ways to achieve the same result but I guess he's never actually sat down and thought about it.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

his desk = the desk he works at at work?
Is his profession relevant? The kind of company he works in? The size of the company? Coworkers relevant?

Does he live alone? Relevant? Does he make his lunch himself? Does his wife pack it for him?

Relevant what he eats for lunch? If so, something that is eaten cold? Something you have to heat up?
Relevant what he packs it in? If so, a lunch box? a paper bag? cling foil? alumimium foil?

When he brings his lunch waste home, does he do anything other with it than throw it away? Does he have different bins for different kinds of waste at home? Relevant?

Is there anything that he finds embarrassing about his lunch?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the man have any relevant disability? Is he diabetic? Does he follow a diet?
Does he eat his lunch at the specific time? Is that relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4966
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does bringing the waste home: help the company he works for? Hurt the company? Help him? Hurt him? Relevant how much there is of it? Any smell relevant? Pests?
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he have a pet that gets the waste?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18088
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pack that he brings his lunch in part of the waste? Relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana

his desk = the desk he works at at work? Yes
Is his profession relevant? The kind of company he works in? The size of the company? Coworkers relevant? No to rest

Does he live alone? No Relevant? No Does he make his lunch himself? Yes Does his wife pack it for him? No

Relevant what he eats for lunch? Yes If so, something that is eaten cold? Yes Something you have to heat up? No

Relevant what he packs it in? Yes If so, a lunch box? Yes a paper bag? cling foil? alumimium foil? yes , we call it tin foil by the way

When he brings his lunch waste home, does he do anything other with it than throw it away? NoDoes he have different bins for different kinds of waste at home? Yes Relevant? No

Is there anything that he finds embarrassing about his lunch? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4426
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine

Does the man have any relevant disability? No Is he diabetic? Does he follow a diet? No to these

Does he eat his lunch at the specific time? Usually at 1pm Is that relevant? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Does bringing the waste home: help the company he works for? No Hurt the company? No Help him? It would be stretching it to say it helps him but there is a small benefit Hurt him? No Relevant how much there is of it? yope Any smell relevant? Pests? No to rest
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deholmes

Does he have a pet that gets the waste? Nice thinking but no I'm afraid
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Is the pack that he brings his lunch in part of the waste? No Relevant? The pack/lunchbox is relevant
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW he is me
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how often is the bin emptied at work? At home? Is smell of food relevant?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3355
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he dieting/counting calories/keeping a food log? and taking the waste home helps him keep track of what he has eaten?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4432
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine

Is it relevant how often is the bin emptied at work? At home? Is smell of food relevant? No to all of these
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel

Is he dieting/counting calories/keeping a food log? and taking the waste home helps him keep track of what he has eaten? No to these , I have put on some weight since I quit smoking but dieting is not relevant
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what the lunch box is made of? If so, plastic? metal? Relevant how big the lunch box is? what colour it is?

Is it relevant how he brings the lunchbox to work? Does he carry it in a backpack? a briefcase? a tote bag? in his hand?

Does he eat sandwiches for lunch? fruit? vegetables? cereal? yoghurt? pastries? sweets?

Does he have waste every day? Does the waste include wrappers? leftovers? inedible parts of fruits/vegetables (peel, seeds etc)?

Would disposing of his waste on his way home have the same effect? Is anything about his way home relevant? means of transportation?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does his lunchbox have a sentimental value for him? Does he need his lunchbox at home for other purpose than packing lunch for the next day?
Is the benefit he gains of environmental nature? economical nature? social nature?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana

Is it relevant what the lunch box is made of? Yes If so, plastic? Yes it's tupperware metal? Relevant how big the lunch box is? Yope what colour it is? No

Is it relevant how he brings the lunchbox to work? Yes Does he carry it in a backpack? Yes a briefcase? a tote bag? in his hand?

Does he eat sandwiches for lunch? Yes fruit? Yes vegetables? cereal? yoghurt? Yes pastries? sweets?

Does he have waste every day? Yes Does the waste include wrappers? Yes leftovers? Rarely inedible parts of fruits/vegetables (peel, seeds etc)? Yes

Would disposing of his waste on his way home have the same effect? No Is anything about his way home relevant? Yes means of transportation? Yes

Excellent questions Doriana
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4435
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine

Does his lunchbox have a sentimental value for him? No Does he need his lunchbox at home for other purpose than packing lunch for the next day? No
Is the benefit he gains of environmental nature? economical nature? social nature? Yope to Social nature, it's actually hard to put the benefit into a particular category.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he go home on foot? By bike? Car? Bus? Tramway/subway? Train? Motorcycle? Carpooling relevant?

Is the weight of his backpack relevant? Of the lunchbox?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4996
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the speed of transportation relevant? Does he go by: own car? Riding with someone? bus? Train? airplane? Helicopter? Blimp? Walking? Skateboard? Rollerskates? Bicycle? Subway? Tram? Escalator? Lift? Distance to the home relevant? Does he do anything relevant during travel? Is some of the waste more relevant than the rest?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3721
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there anything in the lunchbox when he gets home?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4439
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana

Does he go home on foot? Yes By bike? Car? Bus? Yes Tramway/subway? Train? And yes, as you can see i have a complicated commute but the only relevant piece of my journey home is the part that I complete on foot Motorcycle? Carpooling relevant? No

Is the weight of his backpack relevant? Of the lunchbox? No to both
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is the speed of transportation relevant? No Does he go by: own car? Riding with someone? bus? Train? airplane? Helicopter? Blimp? Walking? Skateboard? Rollerskates? Bicycle? Subway? Tram? Escalator? Lift? See my answer to Doriana above Distance to the home relevant? No Does he do anything relevant during travel? Only walking Is some of the waste more relevant than the rest? Yes
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4441
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez

is there anything in the lunchbox when he gets home? Yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5005
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the lunchbox rattle? Relevant? Is the lunchbox opened during the journey? Touched? Is it in the backpack? Ina pocket? Held?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18097
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you save some of your lunch for the walk home? Or bring snacks in your lunchbox for the walk home?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4442
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez

Does the lunchbox rattle? Yes, well done Relevant? Yes so go ahead and spoyle this Is the lunchbox opened during the journey? No Touched? No Is it in the backpack? Yes Ina pocket? Held?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4443
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Do you save some of your lunch for the walk home? No Or bring snacks in your lunchbox for the walk home? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you want the lunchbox to rattle so someone can hear you coming? Someone at home? Spouse? Child? Pet? Or do you just like to hear it rattle? Does it rattle whenever you walk? Or do you do something to make it rattle when you want?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4446
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you want the lunchbox to rattle so someone can hear you coming? Someone at home? Spouse? Child? Pet? Or do you just like to hear it rattle? Does it rattle whenever you walk? Or do you do something to make it rattle when you want? Sorry Galfisk I can see how my previous answer has thrown you off the scent here. What I meant to say when you asked 'Does the lunchbox rattle?' was 'Well something in there would if i didn't bring home my waste' I actually do not want it to rattle . Hope that's clear
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the lunchbox contain a smaller box? And the smaller box would rattle if you didn't put the waste in the bigger box?

Or does the box not stay in place in the backpack when it's empty, but it does when there's waste in it?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5018
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, so you want the lunchbox not to rattle? And you use the waste to make sure it does not? Because it rattles when empty?
Any specific reason you want it to be quiet? Or is it simply annoying?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4447
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana

Does the lunchbox contain a smaller box? No And the smaller box would rattle if you didn't put the waste in the bigger box? No but in the right ballpark

Or does the box not stay in place in the backpack when it's empty, but it does when there's waste in it? There's an element of this yes

Galfisk

Aha, so you want the lunchbox not to rattle? Indeed And you use the waste to make sure it does not? Correct Because it rattles when empty? Well not empty but close enough
Any specific reason you want it to be quiet? Or is it simply annoying? This .. and with that I think we can put this silly little puzzle to bed....

***************Spoiler****************

I use my iPod on my commute to and from work and whether I'm listening to music (not too loud for the sake of my fellow passengers) or one of the 14 different podcasts that I download each week I cannot hear other sounds around me.

I'm usually very careful to make sure my iPod is fully charged each morning as my day would be ruined without it.

One day I forgot to charge the iPod, the battery died and I was faced with a commute home with nothing to listen to but inane bus & train phone chatter like 'I'm on the train' 'I'll be home in 20 mins' 'What's for tea?' 'I'm running late will you record Downton Abbey?' etc. etc. This is a real pet hate of mine as you've probably guessed.

As I was walking to the train station that evening with my backpack on I suddenly became aware of a really annonying clunking noise made by my metal yoghurt spoon rattling about in my otherwise empty lunchbox.

I was a bit embarrassed to think that I had been oblivious to this noise up until then due to the ever present iPod. Not wanting to annoy myself or other people I now keep my rubbish in my lunchbox so the tinfoil and paper napkins etc. prevent the spoon from banging against the side of the lunchbox. I know that there's other ways to achieve this (not taking the spoon home would be one) but I've become used to doing this and I'm a creature of habit.

Hope you enjoyed this effort on an issue that is, as I'm sure you'll all agree, of critical importance.

Thanks to all who played and for Doriana & Galfisk for killing it off.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle! At one point in the puzzle I wanted to ask if silverware was relevant, but I forgot - maybe we would have solved it sooner.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18107
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you should let the clunking persist and maybe the chatter will slow down.

Nice puzzle - wish I could have worked on it more.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: