[Abc] Home on the range Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2013 » [Abc] Home on the range « Previous Next »

Abc (Abc)
Username: Abc

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man stirs some liquid in a container, and as a result finds himself reunited with his family sooner than expected.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18164
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The liquid: water? A beverage? A fuel?
Is the container open? Closed? A glass? Can? Jar? Bottle? Tank? Barrel? Vat?
Relevant what he stirs it with?
Danielvs (Danielvs)
Username: Danielvs

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man's job relevant?
Did the man know that, by stirring the liquid he would be with his family sooner? If so, I assume he did this on purpose?
Was he far from his family? Relevant to know how distant he was?
Man's age:
<30?
30-60?
>60?
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the liquid explosive? poisonous? so he was reunited in death?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The liquid: water? A beverage? A fuel? None of these
Is the container open? Closed? A glass? Can? Jar? Bottle? Tank? This Barrel? Vat?
Relevant what he stirs it with? Yesish
Man's job relevant? Yes
Did the man know that, by stirring the liquid he would be with his family sooner? No
If so, I assume he did this on purpose? The stirring was on purpose, yes
Was he far from his family? Yes
Relevant to know how distant he was? Yes
Man's age:
<30?
30-60? This
>60?
Was the liquid explosive? No
poisonous? No (except that everything is poisonus given sufficient volume and concentration)
so he was reunited in death? No
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the family alive? Is this man?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the family alive? Irrelevant Is this man? No
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he die immediately after having stirred from the tank? Did he reunite with the family only by dying?
Is it a true story?
Time travelling relevant?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he die immediately after having stirred from the tank? No
Did he reunite with the family only by dying? No
Is it a true story? Yes, apart from one whopping blooper that I hope will go undetected
Time travelling relevant? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he alive at the time of reunion? Was his family alive at the time of reunion?
Did he stir something alcoholic? Was the stirring legal?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he alive at the time of reunion? Yes
Was his family alive at the time of reunion? Yes
Did he stir something alcoholic? No
Was the stirring legal? Yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something explode? Did he reunite by physically traveling to a location closer to his family? Or did his family come to him? Or did something different happen? Does the liquid give off any relevant fumes? Distance, less than: 1 meter? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? Is the liquid flammable?
I have a hunch. I'd email you, but you haven't added your email address. How can I contact you to see if I'm right, so as not to $p0il?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he stir the liquid as a part of his job? Did he owe the liquid? Did he owe the container?
Did it happen in [LTPF List of centuries]?
Was he in different country to his family? On different continent?
Did he leave his family? If yes, willingly?
Did his family leave him? If yes, willingly?
Are penal colonies relevant?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something explode? Yes
Did he reunite by physically traveling to a location closer to his family? Yes
Or did his family come to him? No
Or did something different happen? No, he travelled to his family
Does the liquid give off any relevant fumes? I think the most correct answer is yes Distance, less than: 1 meter? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? All no
Is the liquid flammable? No
I have a hotmail account: to_ape, where you can reach me.
Did he stir the liquid as a part of his job? Yes
Did he owe the liquid? Owe? I am not sure what you mean. He had not borrowed it from anyone, and neither had he borrowed money from it
Did he owe the container? Same as above
Did it happen in [LTPF List of centuries]? 20th
Was he in different country to his family?No
On different continent? No
Did he leave his family? If yes, willingly? Both yes
Did his family leave him? No If yes, willingly? So, irrelevant
Are penal colonies relevant? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so was he in the same country as his family, but in the distance bigger than 10 kilometers?
Was he a legal possessor of the liquid? Same question about the container?
There should have been "own" instead of "owe" in my previous post, sorry.
Did he reunite with his family willingly?
Is this relevant why did he leave them? If yes, did he travel to find a job?
Did stirring directly cause the explosion? Was the explosion done on purpose?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so was he in the same country as his family, but in the distance bigger than 10 kilometers? No
Was he a legal possessor of the liquid? Same question about the container? Neither, if I understand the expression "legal posessor" correctly.
There should have been "own" instead of "owe" in my previous post, sorry. Ah
Did he reunite with his family willingly? Yes
Is this relevant why did he leave them? Yes
If yes, did he travel to find a job? No
Did stirring directly cause the explosion? Almost directly, not quite
Was the explosion done on purpose? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in the same country than his family?
Was he in outer space?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in the same country than his family? No
Was he in outer space? Yes

Galfisk - you are correct
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I think I know where this is going. I'll wait and see, but if it's what I'm thinking it is that's a great puzzle statement for this situation.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I know it too, should I email? It looks like a few of us already got it.
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aw, never mind, that last question from Redwine blew it. Who wants the honor?
Galois (Galois)
Username: Galois

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have to return earlier because of the explosion? Did the stirring of the liquid cause the explosion? indirectly?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have to return earlier because of the explosion? Yes
Did the stirring of the liquid cause the explosion? Yes
Indirectly? Strictly speaking, yes
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in a space vehicle? On solid ground? With others? If so were they affected by the explosion? Is his family alive and on earth?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the stirring of the liquid part of an experiment?

Was it supposed to explode?

Was he reunited with his family earlier because his mission succeeded? failed?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he reunited at his funeral?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in a space vehicle? Yes
On solid ground? No
With others? Yes
If so were they affected by the explosion? Yes
Is his family alive and on earth? Yes
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the stirring of the liquid part of an experiment? No

Was it supposed to explode? No (and slightly FA)

Was he reunited with his family earlier because his mission succeeded? No
failed? Yes
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 451
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he reunited at his funeral? No
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18185
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the explosion knock him off course and send his vessel careening back to Earth?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the explosion knock him off course and send his vessel careening back to Earth? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they forced to return to Earth earlier because of the explosion? Did anyone die as a result of the explosion? Did the explosion destroy the machines needed to continue the mission?
Was the stirred liquid edible? Would the liquid have exploded also in Earth?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they forced to return to Earth earlier because of the explosion? Yes
Did anyone die as a result of the explosion? No
Did the explosion destroy the machines needed to continue the mission? Umm... depends on where you draw the line for what you call machines
Was the stirred liquid edible? No
Would the liquid have exploded also in Earth? Under the same circumstances? Yes

I think you have come as far as you can without actually recognising the event. You can find out more about the exact conditions and the situation, but the main goal of this puzzle was for the puzzlers to feel the historical event "clicking into place" (which several have done already)
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will let this sit another 24 hours or so, to see if anyone cares to spoil it. If not, I will do so myself, as all the main facts have been found out.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apollo 13 relevant?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apollo 13 relevant? YES

***************** SPOILER *****************
The Apollo 13 near-disaster turned out to be a demonstration of resourcefulness and resolute action on part of both the astronauts and the ground crew at Houston.

The problem was most probably caused by a defective thermostat inside one of the liquid-oxygen tanks, which allowed the temperature within the tank to rise to levels far above what was normal. The high temperature melted away the insulation of the wires powering the stirring fan motor, and so when Jack Swigert, one of the astronaut on board, started the fan in order to stir the liquid oxygen, there was a short-circuit in the wires, causing the remaining insulation to catch fire, a fire fed catastropically well by the all-oxygen environment. This caused the oxygen tank to explode. And "the rest is history" as they say. The crew had to abort the mission and return to Earth without carrying out the planned moon landing. Many more details of the mission and the accident can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are also a few great books "EECOM" comes to mind, and a huge wealth of information on the NASA sites. You can read the entire transcripts of radio coms for example.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: