[Balin] Straight Outta Comedy Central Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2013 » [Balin] Straight Outta Comedy Central « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18217
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I walked into a bagel shop to borrow a pen.
When it turned out I didn't need the first pen after all, I used another pen.
But in the end, I was glad that I didn't need the first pen after all.

Explain, and good luck.

This is a true story that happened to me this morning in Dublin.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that it was a bagel shop? Could it have been another kind of shop? A restaurant? Could you have asked someone on the street for a pen?

Did the first pen have some kind of special characteristic? Which you thought you needed but then realised you didn't?

Did the second pen also come from the bagel shop?

Did you need the pen to write something? Sign something? For another use?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18221
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that it was a bagel shop? No Could it have been another kind of shop? Yes A restaurant? Yes Could you have asked someone on the street for a pen? I could have. I mentioned the bagel shop in order to point to the streets

Did the first pen have some kind of special characteristic? Which you thought you needed but then realised you didn't? No to both

Did the second pen also come from the bagel shop? No

Did you need the pen to write something? Yes for Pen #2 Sign something? Yes for both pens For another use?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'in order to point to the streets' - do you mean that it is relevant you were in the street at the time?

Did you use pen 2 for a different purpose than the one you had intended to borrow pen 1 for? Did you actually borrow pen 1? Did you realise that there was no need for you to do the thing you wanted to do with pen 1? Was pen 2 yours? Did you have pen 2 all along?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18224
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'in order to point to the streets' - do you mean that it is relevant you were in the street at the time? Yes, and that I was on the streets (or traveling from place to place) rather than all this taking place in one building or site

Did you use pen 2 for a different purpose than the one you had intended to borrow pen 1 for? Yes Did you actually borrow pen 1? Yes Did you realise that there was no need for you to do the thing you wanted to do with pen 1? Eventually Was pen 2 yours? No Did you have pen 2 all along No
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you return pen 1 to the bagel shop? Without using it?

Did you borrow pen 2 from another shop? From a person? Did you buy it?

Were you glad that you didn't need the first pen in that you were glad not to have to do the thing you were going to do with it? Or specifically glad that you didn't need to use the pen?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18227
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you return pen 1 to the bagel shop? Well, I used it in the shop Without using it? FA

Did you borrow pen 2 from another shop? FA, Yes From a person? Did you buy it? No to both

Were you glad that you didn't need the first pen in that you were glad not to have to do the thing you were going to do with it? Yope Or specifically glad that you didn't need to use the pen? No
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you not borrow pen 2? Did you take it away with you?

Did you go into the bagel shop solely to borrow the pen?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18230
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you not borrow pen 2? No -- reread the puzzle statement Did you take it away with you? No

Did you go into the bagel shop solely to borrow the pen? Yes
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it correct to say that there were two pens - pen 1 that you borrowed from the bagel shop, but later turned out not to need, and pen 2 that you used later after realising that you didn't need the first pen? Did pen 2 belong to someone else? To a company? A shop? Did you use it in a shop without taking it away?

Are both pens as in ink-filled writing implements?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18231
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it correct to say that there were two pens - pen 1 that you borrowed from the bagel shop, but later turned out not to need, and pen 2 that you used later after realising that you didn't need the first pen? Yes Did pen 2 belong to someone else? To a company? A shop? A convenience store Did you use it in a shop without taking it away? Yes, both times

Are both pens as in ink-filled writing implements? Yes
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't understand how you can use a pen that doesn't belong to you, and leave it there, without borrowing it! Isn't that the definition of borrowing a pen? Interesting.

Was pen #2 tethered to a counter?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18254
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't understand how you can use a pen that doesn't belong to you, and leave it there, without borrowing it! Isn't that the definition of borrowing a pen? Interesting. The point is that I didn't take it away with me. I did use both pens, but I never took them from the relevant locations. Does that clear it up?

Was pen #2 tethered to a counter? No, but...
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4463
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you asked by a 3rd party to sign something? a petition? maybe someone heard your accent and assumed you were a famous American and asked you for an autograph?

Could this have happened in any City?

Were you alone at the time? If not did anyone in your company have similar requirement for a pen? (please answer for both pens}

Was pen 2 to be used to write a message to someone? a reminder to yourself?

Was there a joke being played on anybody? you?

Hope you're enjoying your time in Baile Atha Cliath. You're probably only a few miles from me
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18259
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you asked by a 3rd party to sign something? Pen 1: No, but-. Pen 2: Technically Yes a petition? No maybe someone heard your accent and assumed you were a famous American and asked you for an autograph? No

Could this have happened in any City? Yes, but the circumstances make it more likely to happen in a foreign country

Were you alone at the time? At some points during this story If not did anyone in your company FA have similar requirement for a pen? (please answer for both pens} Irrel for both

Was pen 2 to be used to write a message to someone? It was, but it was also used for something else a reminder to yourself? No

Was there a joke being played on anybody? No, but a DOYd-of-"joke" is relevant for Pen 2 you? No

Hope you're enjoying your time in Baile Atha Cliath. You're probably only a few miles from me Thanks -- I'm having a lot of fun. Only here for another day though.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you need a pen to countersign travellers cheques? sign a visitor's book?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18266
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you need a pen to countersign travellers cheques? Close enough for #1: I needed the pen to sign the back of a travel ATM card. sign a visitor's book? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18299
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:

I borrowed a pen from a bagel shop to sign the back of a travel ATM card. Soon afterwards, I realized I didn't need that pen after all (we don't know why), so I used another pen (in a convenience store) for reasons unknown. But in the end, I was glad I didn't need the first pen (again, we don't know why).

HINT: Why would I sign an ATM card?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5217
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you just got it? Because you had forgotten to sign it? Because you wanted to use it, and it wouldn't be accepted if it wasn't signed? Did you use the other pen on the card? On something else? Did you first need to use the card? But then realized you didn't need to? If so: because you didn't have to pay after all? Or because you had a different way of paying? Such as cash? Or another person who paid? Or another card?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18306
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you just got it? Because you had forgotten to sign it? Because you wanted to use it, and it wouldn't be accepted if it wasn't signed? This, explore
Did you use the other pen on the card? On something else? This
Did you first need to use the card? For which pen? Yes for #2, Yope for #1 But then realized you didn't need to? Hmm... if I hadn't felt the need #1, I wouldn't have had to use #2 either. If so: because you didn't have to pay after all? No Or because you had a different way of paying? Yope, explore Such as cash? Or another person who paid? Or another card? But no to all!
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it your ATM card? If not, were you signing it so you could use it? Had you got it specially for the trip, and not yet signed it? Had you not know before that you needed to sign it? Did you have a reason for waiting until just before you needed to use it before signing it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18312
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it your ATM card? Yes, the only relevant card is that travel ATM card. But a slight BLOOPER: "travel debit card" might have been a better choice of term. If not, were you signing it so you could use it? No Had you got it specially for the trip, and not yet signed it? Yes Had you not know before that you needed to sign it? Yes, but see next Did you have a reason for waiting until just before you needed to use it before signing it? Yope: I had no reason for not signing it earlier, but I had a reason for signing it when I did.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you need to use it immediately? Or thought you did? Or did you need to use it for the first time in a way where the signature would be checked (eg in a shop rather in an ATM)? Had you previously tried to use it and failed due to it not being signed?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18313
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you need to use it immediately? Or thought you did? This Or did you need to use it for the first time in a way where the signature would be checked Yes (eg in a shop rather in an ATM) But not this ? Had you previously tried to use it and failed due to it not being signed? No
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you going to use it in a bank? In a place that uses a signature rather than chip and pin?

Did you not have to use it because you ended up not having to pay for something? Because you paid another way? Someone else paid for you?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18314
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you going to use it in a bank? Yes In a place that uses a signature rather than chip and pin?

Did you not have to use it because you ended up not having to pay for something? Noish/Yope Because you paid another way? Noish/Yope Someone else paid for you? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18340
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Why was I using my ATM card in a bank, and not in an ATM?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5819
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the ATM inside the bank? Was there no ATM nearby that would take your card?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18342
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the ATM inside the bank? No Was there no ATM nearby that would take your card? Yes! My card was not working
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18355
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT/UPDATE: So my card was not working, and I borrowed a pen to sign the card so I could use it in the bank. Yet later, it turned out I didn't need to do this. Why?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5305
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it turn out: you didn't need to go to the bank? You didn't need to use your card, after you got to the bank? You didn't need any money? you didn't need the money you were going to get from the bank? you got money some other way? You could use your card without a signature? You could use your card in the place where you borrowed the pen? You could get money some other way where you borrowed the pen?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18357
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it turn out: you didn't need to go to the bank? Yes You didn't need to use your card, after you got to the bank? Noish You didn't need any money? No you didn't need the money you were going to get from the bank? Yope you got money some other way? Yope You could use your card without a signature? Irrel You could use your card in the place where you borrowed the pen? Yesish, see below You could get money some other way where you borrowed the pen? No

Since this is a bit of a complicated story, I'm going to supply a lot of clarifying information where I feel it's needed. Here, the important thing is that I could not get money from the bank. Why is irrelevant.

Now follow the Yesish and Yopes, and be careful of the term "money."
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18395
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please don't make me keep dropping HINTs...

Post Number: 5892
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have cash on you that you forgot about?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18397
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have cash on you that you forgot about? No, and this is important

Post Number: 5895
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have cash on you that you remembered? just checking that I didn't take that answer the wrong way =P

Or did you not have cash on you at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18401
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have cash on you that you remembered? Or did you not have cash on you at all? This
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18417
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: There is another person (H/A/M) relevant.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18456
Posted on Friday, March 08, 2013 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP avec HINTS: I borrowed a pen to sign the back of an ATM card to use at a bank, as it was not working in ATMs. However, I could not get money from the bank. I did not have any cash on me, and there is another H/A/M relevant. His "occupation" is relevant.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you win some money?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18457
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you win some money? No
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

moneylender?
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 589
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2013 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you able to use your card in the end?
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think you needed to pay for something that was actually free?
Are American vs. Irish cultural assumptions relevant?
Was bartering or trading involved?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18459
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

moneylender? No

Were you able to use your card in the end? Yes and Eventually, DOYD of "use"

Did you think you needed to pay for something that was actually free? No
Are American vs. Irish cultural assumptions relevant? No
Was bartering or trading involved? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18472
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The other man was homeless.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18510
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one's dead.

****SPOILER****

This was a rather long story that I tried to center around the two times I used a pen. But here's the whole tale:

In Dublin, I was walking to use an ATM when I came across a homeless man trying to sell flyers for money. I only had a few euros on me, so I gave them to him, but he kept trying to get more money out of me. Eventually I told him I couldn't help him and kept going.

I tried to use my card in the ATM but it didn't work, so I decided to go into the bank to get money. I borrowed a pen from a bagel shop to sign the back of the card for identification purposes. However, it didn't matter, as the bank could not take the card if I could not get it to work.

I called my parents back home, and they called AAA for me in order to figure out the problem. They called back later, saying the problem was on AAA's end, and I should still be able to use the card as a debit card. I tested this by going into a convenience store and buying some bread and juice with the card (this is where I used the 2nd pen - to sign the receipt).

About then I decided to get lunch. I was heading to a pub when I came across the same homeless guy from before. He kept trying to get me to give him money (which I didn't have), eventually suggesting I buy him lunch. I offered him the bread and juice; he said, and I quote, "How about you buy me a burger?" Well, obviously I wasn't going to help him after that (beggar being a chooser - I remembered this situation from an old Beccaann puzzle), so I was glad the card wasn't working, as I could honestly say I had no cash to give him.

Yeah, that was a long story. It eventually worked out - the problem was fixed and AAA gave me a $25 gift card as compensation, and I don't want to see that homeless guy again.

Anyway, thanks for working on this for however short a time it was actually worked on. New puzzle below.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: