[Balin] Location location location Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2013 » [Balin] Location location location « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18238
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the label been clearer, or had I remembered where I was, I would not have been embarrassed.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where you were as in country? Town? Building? Social situation? Public vs private? In relation to the other people around you?

Were you embarrassed because of something you said? Did? Something someone else? Did? Something about your appearance? Something that happened to you? Did you look stupid? Clumsy? Tactless? Rude? Ignorant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18242
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where you were as in country? Town?
Building? Social situation? Public vs private? Yes to these three, No to rest
In relation to the other people around you?

Were you embarrassed because of something you said? Did? This Something someone else? Did? Something about your appearance? Something that happened to you? Did you look stupid? Clumsy? Tactless? Rude? Ignorant? Just idiotic
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in a building where certain behaviour is expected, such as a library? Or was it just the fact that you were in a public place and not alone?
Did you do something that was idiotic only because of the setting you did it in? Did do the thing because of what the label said? What you thought it said? Because the label was unclear?

Was the label on clothing? An object? Something you bought? Were going to buy? Did it give instructions? A description?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18245
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in a building where certain behaviour is expected, such as a library? Or was it just the fact that you were in a public place and not alone? Mostly this, although the specific building is relevant
Did you do something that was idiotic only because of the setting you did it in? Yope Did do the thing because of what the label said? What you thought it said? Because the label was unclear? This-ish

Was the label on clothing? No An object? Yes Something you bought? No Were going to buy? No Did it give instructions? No A description? YOPE
Danielvs (Danielvs)
Username: Danielvs

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Building related to:
Transport?
Culture?
Finance?

Did you grab the object? Is it heavy? Large?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the label on a door?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18247
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Building related to:
Transport?
Culture?
Finance? No to all

Did you grab the object? Yes Is it heavy? No Large? No

Was the label on a door? No
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Government building? Military? Public utility building (e.g. post office?). Shop? Cafe?

Was the object supposed to be left untouched?
Did you try to: leave the building with the object? play with the object?

Label not "clear": words do not make sense? blurred letters? Did you try to move the object in order to read it better?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it the label on a bottle? jar? tin?

were you in a shop?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18255
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Government building? Military? Public utility building (e.g. post office?). Shop? Café? This, well, a restaurant actually

Was the object supposed to be left untouched? No
Did you try to: leave the building with the object? play with the object? Neither

Label not "clear": words do not make sense? blurred letters? Did you try to move the object in order to read it better? No to all

was it the label on a bottle? jar? tin? No, but getting OTRT

were you in a shop? See above
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the object contain something? some liquid? Olive oil? Vinegar?
Label "not clear": covered with dust? missing letters?
Is the label a paper? metal?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18260
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the object contain something? Yes some liquid? No Olive oil? Vinegar? Neither, but OTRT
Label "not clear": covered with dust? missing letters? No to both. "Words do not make sense" was closest.
Is the label a paper? This, and I just realized that "label" was the wrong word to use. Oops, BLOOPER. metal?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3785
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it the salt or pepper shaker? mustard pot?

a tube?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18267
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it the salt or pepper shaker? Even closer mustard pot? No

a tube? Very close, though I wouldn't call it a "tube"
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the object contain sugar? Something you put on food?
Relevant in which country this situation happened? Language involved?
Did you get embarrassed because you tossed the content of the object in your food?
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a salt or pepper mill?
Herbs/spice pot?

Would it be even slightly amiss on the table during a meal? in the kitchen during preparation? cooking stages? final presentation touches?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18269
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the object contain sugar? No, VERY VERY close... Something you put on food? Yes
Relevant in which country this situation happened? No Language involved? No
Did you get embarrassed because you tossed the content of the object in your food? No

Is it a salt or pepper mill? Herbs/spice pot? Neither

Would it be even slightly amiss on the table during a meal? No, and this is where it always is. I'm not quite sure I understand the question in the kitchen during preparation? cooking stages? final presentation touches?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it contain a powder? A liquid? A paste?
Artificial sweetener? Honey? Jam? Some kind of spread?

Did you know exactly what was in the object? Did you use it correctly? Did you apply some to your food? If so, did you apply too much? Too little? Did you apply it wrongly?

If 'label' is the wrong word - was it a sign? Instructions? Ingredients list? Packaging? Was it attached to the object?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18272
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it contain a powder? This A liquid? A paste?
Artificial sweetener? This Honey? Jam? Some kind of spread?

Did you know exactly what was in the object? No Did you use it correctly? No, but... Did you apply some to your food? No If so, did you apply too much? Too little? Did you apply it wrongly?

If 'label' is the wrong word - was it a sign? Instructions? Ingredients list? Packaging? Was it attached to the object? You now know what the object was -- a little packet of artificial sweetener
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So by 'label', did you mean the packet itself? Words printed directly on the packet?

Did you think it was something else? If so, did you use it as such? Encourage someone else to do so? Was another person involved in your embarrassment?

Did the label/packet/whatever contain information on what the product was? On how to use it? On what not to do with it? If yes to any of those, which part was the part that was unclear?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18276
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So by 'label', did you mean the packet itself? Words printed directly on the packet? Yes to both

Did you think it was something else? Yes, but I wasn't sure If so, did you use it as such? DOYD of "use" Encourage someone else to do so? No Was another person involved in your embarrassment? No

Did the label/packet/whatever contain information on what the product was? Yes, and this is the only relevant part On how to use it? On what not to do with it? If yes to any of those, which part was the part that was unclear? See previous answer
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...or had I remembered where I was..."
So you didn't remember you were in a restaurant? A specific type of restaurant?
Were you having breakfast? lunch? dinner? relevant?
Danielvs (Danielvs)

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you open the packet? did you try to open it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18278
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...or had I remembered where I was..."
So you didn't remember you were in a restaurant? A specific type of restaurant? Well, the point is that I did this without really thinking. If I'd remembered I was in public, I probably wouldn't have done it.
Were you having breakfast? lunch? dinner? This relevant? No

Did you open the packet? Yes did you try to open it?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you eat the contents? Taste them? to see what they were? Smell them? Pour them out?

Did you think it was sugar? Salt? Spices? Tea? Drugs?

By 'if the label had been clearer', do you mean that the label did not make it totally clear that it was artificial sweetener, so you did the embarrassing thing? Did it just have a brand name that you did not recognise as being sweetener?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18286
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you eat the contents? Yes Taste them? to see what they were? Smell them? Pour them out?

Did you think it was sugar? Yes Salt? Spices? Tea? Drugs?

By 'if the label had been clearer', do you mean that the label did not make it totally clear that it was artificial sweetener, so you did the embarrassing thing? Yes Did it just have a brand name that you did not recognise as being sweetener?

I think this is enough for the

****SPOILER****

At a restaurant in Belfast, I saw a packet of artificial sweetener on the table, but it did not say "artificial sweetener" on it, so I was confused as to what it was. I poured it out, thinking it was sugar, then ate it... and found that it was clearly not sugar. Oh, and I did this in front of about 6 of my classmates. Oh well.

Nice work everyone, good solve Enjay, new puzzle in a bit.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why was it particularly embarrassing to use artificial sweetener instead of sugar? Was it way too sweet, and therefore disgusting?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18291
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because I thought it was sugar, but wasn't sure. Once I could tell what it was, I thought it was indeed disgusting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: