[Balin] Two Americans in Dublin Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2013 » [Balin] Two Americans in Dublin « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18281
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sort of a follow-up to my last puzzle:

Two decisions from years ago led to an awesome moment at the pub. How?

Yes, this happened about a week ago
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5248
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it involve meeting other people?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Decisions of yourself?
Your name relevant?
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 869
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two decisions made within the space of a minute? hour? day? week? month? year? further apart?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18285
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it involve meeting other people? Noish

Decisions of yourself? No
Your name relevant? No

Were the two decisions made within the space of a minute? hour? day? week? month? year? further apart? Approx. 18 years
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 874
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the decisions similar?

Could the second have been made regardless of the first? was it made regardless of the first?

Was either decision made by a member(s) of your family? friends? people you know? have met?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18288
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the decisions similar? No

Could the second have been made regardless of the first? Yes was it made regardless of the first? Yes

Was either decision made by a member(s) of your family? No friends? Yes for #2 and thus Yes to the next two, FA people you know? have met?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18300
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clearing the FA: The decisions did not involve and were not made by me.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Names relevant at all? The name of the pub?
Was the second decision made more than 1 year ago? more than 2 years? more than 10 years?
Were you present when either one of the decisions was made?
Did you know of both decisions when you entered the pub?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18302
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Names relevant at all? Yes The name of the pub? No
Was the second decision made more than 1 year ago? more than 2 years? 2-3 years more than 10 years?
Were you present when either one of the decisions was made? No
Did you know of both decisions when you entered the pub? Yes
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4504
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something relevant taking place in the pub? A singsong?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18307
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something relevant taking place in the pub? Yes A singsong? I'm not sure exactly what that means, but there was a group performing
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4510
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose there's no fixed definition of what a singsong is but it usually involves people taking it in turns to sing their party piece with musical accompaniment.

Is a particular Facebook photo of you singing in an Irish pub relevant? If so, is your choice of song relevant? Did you sing an Irish song? One you penned yourself?

Was one of the decisions made by your parents? Sending you to music lessons? Your learning to play an instrument.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18315
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose there's no fixed definition of what a singsong is but it usually involves people taking it in turns to sing their party piece with musical accompaniment. OK, then this was not a singsong, but again, there was a group performing in the pub

Is a particular Facebook photo of you singing in an Irish pub relevant? No, and that wasn't a pub, that was at a lunch in a farmhouse If so, is your choice of song relevant? No Did you sing an Irish song? Yes but irrel One you penned yourself? No but I'm working on one

Was one of the decisions made by your parents? No Sending you to music lessons? Your learning to play an instrument
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4516
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something surprising happen? Did the band do something? Is a particular song relevant? something someone in the band said? Were you with a group of friends in the pub? or was there just two of you?

the awesome moment , something funny? did you learn something? did you get cured of a scrund? would regulars in the pub have noticed anything unusual happening?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18322
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something surprising happen? Not exactly Did the band do something? Yes Is a particular song relevant? Yes something someone in the band said? Somewhat Were you with a group of friends in the pub? Yes, good q. However, only one of us is relevant or was there just two of you?

the awesome moment , something funny? Not really did you learn something? No did you get cured of a scrund? No would regulars in the pub have noticed anything unusual happening? Well, the band said what they were doing and why before they actually did it
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3841
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they peform something as a tribute to someone? invite someone to join in with them?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18324
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they peform something as a tribute to someone? Yes, svv of "tribute" invite someone to join in with them? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4523
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your friend female? Did they learn his/her name and then sing a song with that name in the title? Or did the band notice something about your friends appearance and sang about that? Is what your friend was wearing relevant? where they come from ?

Was this a traditional Irish song?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they sing "happy birthday"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18326
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your friend female? Yes Did they learn his/her name and then sing a song with that name in the title? Yes Or did the band notice something about your friends appearance and sang about that? No Is what your friend was wearing relevant? No where they come from ? Yope

Was this a traditional Irish song? No

did they sing "happy birthday"? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4527
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for a WAG

Sweet Caroline?

Is one of the two decisions her parents decision to name her xxxx?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18327
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for a WAG

Sweet Caroline? Not so WA after all - correct!

Is one of the two decisions her parents decision to name her xxxx? Yes!

Should go in another couple posts now. Great shot Peter!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4528
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol

By way that was not as inspired as you might think as nearly every Irish pub singer or band plays that bloody song during their set. Grrrr.

Anyway back to the puzzle....

..So the other decision leads to the band discovering her name was Caroline yes? Do they simply overhear someone calling her by name? Do they ask her for her name? Does she somehow draw attention to herself and her name? Did she ask the band for a request?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18330
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol

By way that was not as inspired as you might think as nearly every Irish pub singer or band plays that bloody song during their set. Grrrr. Did not know that. But I peeked at their repertoire list, and didn't see it.

Anyway back to the puzzle....

..So the other decision leads to the band discovering her name was Caroline yes? No, remember the other decision was from a couple years ago Do they simply overhear someone calling her by name? No Do they ask her for her name? Yes Does she somehow draw attention to herself and her name? Noish/Yopish Did she ask the band for a request? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4530
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way I'm holding you personally responsible for my singing that song all day yesterday. This reminds me that I must run another musical connections puzzle sometime soon.

The decision was made by Caroline? Someone else in your company? A member of the Band? The owner of the pub? An Irish lawmaker?

The smoking ban isn't relevant is it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18334
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way I'm holding you personally responsible for my singing that song all day yesterday. *evil grin* This reminds me that I must run another musical connections puzzle sometime soon. Can't wait!

The decision was made by Caroline? This Someone else in your company? A member of the Band? The owner of the pub? An Irish lawmaker?

The smoking ban isn't relevant is it? Not at all
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4534
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2013 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her decision simply to come on the trip? or maybe to join the group that subsequently went on the trip?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18345
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2013 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her decision simply to come on the trip? or maybe to join the group that subsequently went on the trip? OTRT
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4548
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to remember was it a college group you went with? or was it the crowd with whom you were on that retreat with? Was Caroline on the retreat? Did she initially decide not to go to Ireland and then changed her mind?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18347
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to remember was it a college group you went with? YES or was it the crowd with whom you were on that retreat with? Was Caroline on the retreat? Yes Did she initially decide not to go to Ireland and then changed her mind? Irrel, assume No
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm jumping in here, but is it her decision to go to your college? To study the course that would later allow her to go to Ireland?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18349
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm jumping in here, but is it her decision to go to your college? This. Now the very last bit of info should go next post. To study the course that would later allow her to go to Ireland?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So: decision 1 was her parents naming her Caroline. Decision 2 was her picking her college. Does that college have a particular link to Ireland? Does it always run an Ireland trip? And those two decisions led up to a band singing Sweet Caroline for her in the pub, which was awesome?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18367
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So: decision 1 was her parents naming her Caroline. Decision 2 was her picking her college. Yes to both
Does that college have a particular link to Ireland? Irrel Does it always run an Ireland trip? Yes but irrel And those two decisions led up to a band singing Sweet Caroline for her in the pub, which was awesome? Yes

One piece of info about the college is needed. And remember, I go to that school too, and I have a profile...
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the location of the college relevant? Did she decide she wanted to live in North Carolina? In Elon? Is she from outside the US and chose to study there? Or is she already from the college town and wanted to stay close to home?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4550
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she attracted to Elon because she wanted to be Caroline in North Carolina?

I'm reminded of that song 'What did Delaware boys'
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah - I didn't even notice the Caroline/Carolina connection!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18369
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

s the location of the college relevant? Yes Did she decide she wanted to live in North Carolina? Irrel but this is the final bit. In Elon? Is she from outside the US and chose to study there? Or is she already from the college town and wanted to stay close to home?

Was she attracted to Elon because she wanted to be Caroline in North Carolina? Irrel, but this is what the band noticed.

I'm reminded of that song 'What did Delaware boys' Don't know that one.

Anyway,

****SPOILER****

At Fitzsimons Temple Bar, I was with a group of friends, one of whom is named Caroline. She and I and one other person went to watch the band playing there, and they eventually asked her name and where she's from. They noticed the connection of a "Caroline from Carolina" and immediately played "Sweet Caroline" for her. Had her parents not named her that or she gone to a school in a different state, that connection would not have been made and that song not played.

Great work Enjay and Peter, who solved it and did most of the work. New puzzle right now.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4551
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know the owner of Fitzsimons quite well. A good pub it is too.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and by the way :
Oh, what did Della wear boy,
What did Della wear?
What did Della wear boy,
What did Della wear?

She wore a bran’ new jersey,
That’s what she did wear.

One, two, three, four!

Oh, why did Calla ‘phone ya,
Why did Calla phone?
Why did Calla ‘phone ya,
Was she all alone?
She called to say how ar’ ya,
That’s why she did call.

Uno, dos, tres, cuatro!

Oh, what did Mrs sip, boy,
What did Mrs sip?
What did Mrs sip, boy,
Through her pretty lips?
She sipped a mina-soda,
She sipped a mina-soda,
She sipped a mina-soda,
That’s what she did sip.

Un, deux, trois, quatre!

Oh, where as Ore gone, boy,
Where has Ore gone?
If you want, I’ll ask ‘er,
I’ll ask ‘er where she’s gone
She went to pay her taxes,
That’s where she has gone.

Eins, zwei, drei, vier!

Oh, how did Wiscon sin, boy,
She stole a new brass key,
Too bad that Arkan saw, boy,
And so did Tenne see?
It made poor Flora die, boy,
It made poor Flora die, you see,
She died in misery, boy,
She died in misery.

Oh, what did Della wear boy,
What did Della wear?
What did Della wear boy,
What did Della wear?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5859
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*giggles at the song* I know a version of that, though I can't remember it all right now, but I do know it's not quite the same =) is it often sung at pubs then?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: