[Doriana] Lady of the Ring Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2013 » [Doriana] Lady of the Ring « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3481
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did Lucy (H/A/F) pretend she had lost her ring in Sam's (H/A/M) car?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a wedding ring? Engagement ring? Just a decorative ring? For that matter, ring as in a band worn on the finger?

Had Lucy been in Sam's car?
Had she lost her ring at all? Did she have a ring in the first place?

Did Sam think she had lost the ring in his car?

Are Lucy and Sam friends? Related? In a relationship? Strangers? Colleagues? Acquaintances? Is Sam a taxi driver?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she want to: see him again? See his car? Know where the car was? Make him search the car? Make someone else search the car? Search the car herself? Had she lost anything else inside the car? Or left something in there on purpose? Was there something relevant inside the car, except the imaginary ring?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a wedding ring? Engagement ring? Just a decorative ring? irrel For that matter, ring as in a band worn on the finger? yes

Had Lucy been in Sam's car? yes
Had she lost her ring at all? no Did she have a ring in the first place? irrel

Did Sam think she had lost the ring in his car? no

Are Lucy and Sam friends? Related? this, they're brother and sister In a relationship? Strangers? Colleagues? Acquaintances? Is Sam a taxi driver?

Did she want to: see him again? See his car? Know where the car was? Make him search the car? Make someone else search the car? Search the car herself? Had she lost anything else inside the car? Or left something in there on purpose? Was there something relevant inside the car, except the imaginary ring? no to all
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4501
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were Lucy's intentions dishonest? was she hoping to benefit financially? was she playing a joke? Did she pretend to Sam? someone else? Did she tell many people? Was this her way of getting out of doing something? avoiding blame? creating an alibi?

Was she in trouble with the law?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were Lucy's intentions dishonest? depends on your point of view was she hoping to benefit financially? no was she playing a joke? no Did she pretend to Sam? no someone else? yes, good question Did she tell many people? no, just one person Was this her way of getting out of doing something? no avoiding blame? no creating an alibi? no, but OTRT

Was she in trouble with the law? no
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18309
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she trying to embarrass someone? Sam? A third party?
Was she trying to make someone go away? An obnoxious flirter?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3485
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she trying to embarrass someone? no Sam? A third party?
Was she trying to make someone go away? An obnoxious flirter? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOOOPER!
Was there something relevant inside the car, except the imaginary ring? The answer should be YES.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it important that it was a ring? Could she have pretended to have lost a bracelet? Necklace? Scarf? Ipod? Anything small enough to be easily lost in a car?

Was she trying to explain why she didn't have a ring? Trying to hint that she had had one at some point?

Was the person she pretended to one person? H/A/M? Relevant? Another relative? Did they know Lucy? Sam?

Is anyone else relevant other than Lucy, Sam and the person or people she pretended to?

Did she expect the person she pretended to to look for the ring? To not look elsewhere, because they thought it was in the war? To get her another ring?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it important that it was a ring? it works best with a ring Could she have pretended to have lost a bracelet? Necklace? could also work with these Scarf? Ipod? probably not with these Anything small enough to be easily lost in a car?

Was she trying to explain why she didn't have a ring? Trying to hint that she had had one at some point? no to both

Was the person she pretended to one person? H/A/M? it was a H/A/F Relevant? yes Another relative? yope Did they know Lucy? Sam? yes to both

Is anyone else relevant other than Lucy, Sam and the person or people she pretended to? yes, one more H/A/F

Did she expect the person she pretended to to look for the ring? no To not look elsewhere, because they thought it was in the war? no To get her another ring? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she pretend to Sam's wife? Girlfriend? Lucy's wife? Girlfriend?

Was a ring in fact found on Sam's car? And Lucy was trying to explain its presence? Was he having an affair? Did it look like he was having an affair? And Lucy was covering for him?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Lucy have a ring at all? If yes, is it important how did she get the ring? Was it a gift? If yes, is it relevant, who was the giver?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4509
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I was about to post what I think is the solution but I see Enjay has beaten me to it.

I agree that Sam was up to naughties in the back of his car and when his partner finds a ring Lucy bails him out by pretending it's hers.

If Enjay has solved this I'd be interested to hear how many people would cover for a sibling in those circumstances. I'm not sure I would.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3489
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2013 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she pretend to Sam's wife? this Girlfriend? Lucy's wife? Girlfriend?

Was a ring in fact found on Sam's car? Not yet... And Lucy was trying to explain its presence? yes Was he having an affair? yes Did it look like he was having an affair? If the ring was found, yes And Lucy was covering for him? yes

Did Lucy have a ring at all? If yes, is it important how did she get the ring? Was it a gift? If yes, is it relevant, who was the giver? irrel to all

Oh I was about to post what I think is the solution but I see Enjay has beaten me to it.

I agree that Sam was up to naughties in the back of his car and when his partner finds a ring Lucy bails him out by pretending it's hers. almost, yes

If Enjay has solved this I'd be interested to hear how many people would cover for a sibling in those circumstances. I'm not sure I would. I'm not sure I would either, but I guess there are siblings who would. Who knows...

You have figured it out, basically, just the order of events isn't quite right yet. Nice work!
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So: Sam had an affair, and his mistress left a ring in his car. Did she realise she had lost it? Did she tell Sam? Tell Lucy? Was Sam unable to find it? Or unable for some reason to get it out before his wife used the car? Sam was afraid his wife would find the ring and find out about the affair? So Lucy mentioned to Sam's wife that she had lost a ring in the car, so that if the wife found it she would assume it was Lucy's?

Or did Sam need to get the ring back for his mistress,so they got her to search the car by pretending it was Lucy's ring?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So: Sam had an affair, and his mistress left a ring in his car. correct Did she realise she had lost it? yes Did she tell Sam? yes Tell Lucy? no Was Sam unable to find it? see next question Or unable for some reason to get it out before his wife used the car? yes Sam was afraid his wife would find the ring and find out about the affair? yes So Lucy mentioned to Sam's wife that she had lost a ring in the car, so that if the wife found it she would assume it was Lucy's? yes

Or did Sam need to get the ring back for his mistress,so they got her to search the car by pretending it was Lucy's ring? no

********SPOILER********
Sam's mistress loses her ring in his car, and although he searches the car, he can't find it. Of course, he's afraid that his wife - who will drive the car the next day - will find it, so he asks his sister Lucy to cover for him. Lucy calls her sister-in-law and tells her that she has left her ring in their car the other day and that in case she (the wife) finds it, she should return it to her (Lucy).

Nice work, Enjay and Peter!

Questions on my two other old puzzles and the new one that I'm about to post are greatly appreciated. =)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4525
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle Doriana
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks - it's based on a true story that happened to me a while ago. I lost my ring in the car of a co-worker I sometimes carpool with, and we both joked about what would happen if his wife found it before he does. However, I can assure you that I don't have an affair with him =)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: