[woubit] Bursting a bubble Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2013 » [woubit] Bursting a bubble « Previous Next »

Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I were less verbose, I would be less busy.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this statement true because of your particular line of work?

Verbose as in Speaking? Writing? On-line messaging or blogging?

Would being less busy be a good thing? Or bad?

I=Woubit?
Other humans involved?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this statement true because of your particular line of work? no

Verbose as in Speaking? Writing? this one, and... On-line messaging ...particularly in this context or blogging?

Would being less busy be a good thing? Or bad? neutral - I would not really be less busy or more busy, but an illusion was created that I would be more busy

I=Woubit? yes
Other humans involved? yes
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4520
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi woubit

Is our beloved forum relevant? Facebook or other social networking? Is keeping in touch with friends and family relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi woubit hello Peter

Is our beloved forum relevant? no Facebook or other social networking? not really, no, but... Is keeping in touch with friends ...this one, to an extent and family relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5235
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? Bubble=speech bubble? Messaging: from a computer? Phone? Tablet? Relevant? Type of messaging relevant? Exact program used for messaging relevant? Displaying messages in speech bubbles relevant? Do you write messages too large for something? Too large to see without scrolling? Large enough that you need to scroll through them if you want to proofread before sending? (I do that on my phone, and it doesn't scroll text fields well.)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? not really Bubble=speech bubble? could be, but I had a metaphorical bubble in mind Messaging: from a computer? Phone? this one Tablet? but could equally be this one Relevant? yes Type of messaging relevant? yes Exact program used for messaging relevant? yesish Displaying messages in speech bubbles relevant? no Do you write messages too large for something? no Too large to see without scrolling? Large enough that you need to scroll through them if you want to proofread before sending? none of the above (I do that on my phone, and it doesn't scroll text fields well.) mine seems to be fine for that - the problem lies elsewhere
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18325
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Email? Chat room? Texting?

Autocorrect relevant? Character limit on texts relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Email? could be this Chat room? Texting? or this

Autocorrect relevant? no Character limit on texts relevant? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5240
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you busy: before typing the message? While typing the message? After typing, but before sending? While sending? After? Busy as in "having stuff to do"? Busy as in "phone line busy"? Some other electronic device state set to busy?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5290
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Do you find your fingers too fat for the keys and you spend twice as long as the nimble fingered and have to keep changing things?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you busy: before typing the message? FA While typing the message? same FA After typing, but before sending? same FA While sending? no After? yes Busy as in "having stuff to do"? yes Busy as in "phone line busy"? no Some other electronic device state set to busy? no

Hi. hello Lynne Do you find your fingers too fat for the keys yes and you spend twice as long as the nimble fingered and have to keep changing things? no - although my fingers are fat, like the rest of me, I have by now been using electronic keyboards for so long that I can maintain a respectable rate of output. However, the state of increased busyness occurred when I read a message I had previously sent, which formed part of someone's reply to it, hence the FAs above.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18328
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the FA is simply that you read the message and did not type it, right?

Is the length of the message relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the FA is simply that you read the message and did not type it, right? well, I typed a message, after which I was no less busy than before. When the message was "reflected" I was "busier" than before.

Is the length of the message relevant? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4529
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I check that I have this right..

You send an electronic message and the response you receive contains some or all of your original message. On looking at the response it could give the impression that you are busier than before. All Ok?

If the response did not contain your original message the false sense of busyness would not arise? Would this misrepresentation of your busyness (that's not a word I know) be removed if your original messaage was shorter? Does this occur with all mails, texts that you send?

Is the time stamped on the messages relevant?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5816
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it one of those automatic e-mail responses, for example:

"woubit, founder of woubits inc., pedants to the gentry, will be out of the office from November to January, so there will be no Christmas puzzle this year," or something along those lines?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I check that I have this right.. by all means

You send an electronic message and the response you receive contains some or all of your original message. yes On looking at the response it could give the impression that you are busier than before. All Ok? on looking at the response, which included the original text, something happened that created extra busyness for me

If the response did not contain your original message the false sense of busyness would not arise? very probably not Would this misrepresentation of your busyness (that's not a word I know yes it is, or at least the clever men at Oxford think that it is - rightly so, for although "business" originally meant no more than the state or condition of being busy, it now means so many other things that we need to retain "busyness" for this concept) be removed if your original message was shorter? if I had not used a couple of redundant words, the situation would not have arisen Does this occur with all mails, texts that you send? no

Is the time stamped on the messages relevant? no, but this is not a million miles from the right forest

Was it one of those automatic e-mail responses, for example:

"woubit, founder of woubits inc., pedants to the gentry, will be out of the office from November to January, so there will be no Christmas puzzle this year," or something along those lines? it was not, but good thinking, and good to see you again
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5829
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's very good to see you again too, woubit! I've missed you =)

Redundant words, hmm...*wonders why the great and powerful woubit, founder of woubits inc., pedants to the gentry, might have used redundant words*

...oh well, something to ponder on while I go to the Rose and Crown tonight. *has a craving for fish & chips*
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4549
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to use the word busyness every day from now on.

Did this only happen with one particular message that you sent? or does it happen often? Does your original message go to more than one person? Do you receive multiple replies? Is it the sort of message that requires a reply e.g. are you available to meet on Thursday? Is the message social in nature?

Any play on words? Does a phrase need to get taken literally for this impression to be given?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to use the word busyness every day from now on. I, in keeping with the general philosophy at woubits inc., am going to continue to avoid it.

Did this only happen with one particular message that you sent? yes or does it happen often? it certainly could Does your original message go to more than one person? no Do you receive multiple replies? no Is it the sort of message that requires a reply e.g. are you available to meet on Thursday? there was only one instance of the message that prompted the puzzle; it was in the nature of general chit-chat and did not require a reply as such Is the message social in nature? it was

Any play on words? not really, but... Does a phrase need to get taken literally for this impression to be given? to some extent, yes, but not by a person...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18376
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the webhost you use for email relevant? Is your email address relevant? Is theirs?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the webhost you use for email relevant? Is your email address relevant? Is theirs? none of the above. To recap:

I sent (via a mobile phone) an email to a friend, whose reply incorporated the text I had originally sent.

Because of this, I became busier than I had been heretofore - that is: my schedule or workload or whatever you want to call it had (apparently) been augmented.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4557
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get some sort of 'out of office' reply?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your friend get your message? Did the system inform you that the message could not have been delivered?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get some sort of 'out of office' reply? no

Did your friend get your message? yes Did the system inform you that the message could not have been delivered? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4559
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there an irony in the reply? Had your friend simply returned your e-mail without comment would this situation have arisen?

Was your original message intended to be humourous? Was it a joke ?

Current events relevant? sports? famous athletes and home protection? those nice Tesco lasagnes?

Did you type the original message or did you cut and paste something? or forward someone else's mail?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there an irony in the reply? no Had your friend simply returned your e-mail without comment would this situation have arisen? yes

Was your original message intended to be humorous? no - entirely commonplace Was it a joke ? no

Current events relevant? sports? famous athletes and home protection? those nice Tesco lasagnas? none of these, especially the last

Did you type the original message yes or did you cut and paste something? or forward someone else's mail? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your original message mention your levels of busyness?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your original message mention your levels of busyness? no - as I recall, it was about some bridge problem, but it could have been about anything at all
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4570
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you check the reply on your phone or on a PC or Laptop? relevant? Would the same circumstance have arisen?

Is the key part here something your friend typed? did? something your device did?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you check the reply on your phone this one or on a PC or Laptop? relevant? no Would the same circumstance have arisen? yes

Is the key part here something your friend typed? did? something your device did? this one, and now we're cooking with gas...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18435
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you then receive a phone call? Text? Other form of alert?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you then receive a phone call? Text? Other form of alert? this is closest, though in a sense I had already "received another form of alert", contained in the text of my original message
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5540
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get multiple alerts for the one message? Because it was so long? My previous phone did this, if a text message was longer than 140 characters it would alert as each part was received, and assemble them afterwards. Relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get multiple alerts for the one message? Because it was so long? My previous phone did this, if a text message was longer than 140 characters it would alert as each part was received, and assemble them afterwards. Relevant? nothing like this. Perhaps a

***** RECAP *****

I sent an email from my phone to a friend. It was couched in my customary pompous and over-elaborate style. When he replied, something in my original text (which he had quoted, or at any rate not elected to unquote) caused my phone to create "extra busyness" for me.

If it helps, the current phone is an iPhone - this problem could not have occurred on the previous phone, which was a BlackBerry. It would have occurred whatever the rest of the message was; the strictly minimum length of the message involved would have been four words consisting of nine characters and three spaces. For well did the bard remark of an author whom history has correctly forgotten:

Once Hector Stuart in his tersest mood
Took up his pencil. "By the holy rood,
I'll write an epigram!" he cried.

He did.
Nay, by the holy mile his pencil slid.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18452
Posted on Friday, March 08, 2013 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the touch screen relevant? Autocorrect/predictive text?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the touch screen relevant? yesish Autocorrect/predictive text? no, but this is not entirely in the wrong forest
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your phone mark your friend's mail as spam? because some words or combinations of letters in the quoted text were considered suspicious? did your phone cross out a word in the quoted text as swearword?
Did your friend make an error when quoting your text?
Did you, at any rate, have to correct (or remove) the quoted text before you could reply the message? because the quoted text was altered (deformed) by any phone's software?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your phone mark your friend's mail as spam? no because some words or combinations of letters in the quoted text were considered suspicious? did your phone cross out a word in the quoted text as swearword? no - it did something else to a couple of words in the text, though...
Did your friend make an error when quoting your text? no
Did you, at any rate, have to correct (or remove) the quoted text before you could reply the message? no because the quoted text was altered (deformed) by any phone's software?
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the iPhone's feature of making certain words links to making appointments on your calendar relevant (like in an e-mail, the words eight PM on Friday would [probably] become a link, clicking on which would trigger a pop-up saying 'add event at 8 PM Friday)?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Monday, March 18, 2013 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the iPhone's feature of making certain words links to making appointments on your calendar relevant (like in an e-mail, the words eight PM on Friday would [probably] become a link, clicking on which would trigger a pop-up saying 'add event at 8 PM Friday)? most certainly it is - now then...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18469
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did it set an appointment for you, thus making you "busier" on that day?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is exactly and precisely what it did.

***** SPOILER *****

Moreover, it did it with a vengeance - the words I in typically verbose fashion had used were "I for one am of the opinion that [the opinion itself does not matter, and was probably wrong anyway]."

My correspondent and I, for one reason or another, failed to keep the appointment at 1 am that our phones had arranged for us. Instead, we reflected how wise George Orwell had been when he remarked: "There are people for whom it is quicker and easier to say 'In my opinion it is a not unjustifiable assumption that..' than it is to say 'I think...'". We vowed to sin no more.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18589
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I for one am convinced that that was quite an enjoyable puzzle.

Good to see you back around.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: