[GalFisk] The horrors in my home Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2013 » [GalFisk] The horrors in my home « Previous Next »

Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5299
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is there a bear in the girl's room, a couple fighting on our bed, and a guy in the closet?
And what does this have to do with the events taking place in my childhood home; cheese being grated in the hallway, the gigantic bag of sweets blocking the door, and the nice crop of mushrooms growing in the corner?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18363
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bear: a real live bear? A teddy bear?
Couple: humans? One male, one female?
In the closet: inside a physical closet? Secretly gay?

Cheese: type of cheese relevant?
Sweets: type of sweets relevant?
Mushrooms: being grown inside? Outside?
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real Bear? Toy Bear?
The couple fighting: cats? dogs? children?
The bear, the couple fighting, the guy in closet: Is this taking place in your childhood home as well? At the same time as chess,sweets,and mushrooms situation? Are the cheese, sweets, and mushrooms real (as in food?)
True story? Dream? Did this happen to you as a child? Where you in your childhood home at the time?
Any specific occasions relevant? Halloween? Christmas? Easter?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5310
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bear: a real live bear? This, but beware of FA. A teddy bear?
Couple: humans? One male, one female? Yes.
In the closet: inside a physical closet? This. Secretly gay?

Cheese: type of cheese relevant? Noish.
Sweets: type of sweets relevant? Noish. Mixed.
Mushrooms: being grown inside? Outside? Inside.

Real Bear? This, but see above. Toy Bear?
The couple fighting: cats? dogs? children? HAM+HAF, see above.
The bear, the couple fighting, the guy in closet: Is this taking place in your childhood home as well? No. At the same time as chess,sweets,and mushrooms situation? No. Are the cheese, sweets, and mushrooms real (as in food?) Yes.
True story? Noish. Dream? No. Did this happen to you as a child? No. Where you in your childhood home at the time? No.
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a fairy tale? Or combination of two or more fairy tales? Is it bear or bare? Is the fighting because of the guy in the closet? Because of the bear?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5315
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a fairy tale? No. Or combination of two or more fairy tales? No. Is it bear or bare? Bear. Is the fighting because of the guy in the closet? Because of the bear? No to both.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is first situation (bear,etc..) FYOI?
Is it a series of images you concocted to aid in memorizing something?

Same questions for the second situation (cheese,etc..) please.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5317
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is first situation (bear,etc..) FYOI? Yes.
Is it a series of images you concocted to aid in memorizing something? Yes indeed.

Same questions for the second situation (cheese,etc..) please. Yes to all.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 513
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we need to figure out what you were memorizing in both the cases, right?
Is the second scenario a food shopping list?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5318
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we need to figure out what you were memorizing in both the cases, right?
Is the second scenario a food shopping list?
***SPOILER***
Close enough. I should've made this much more difficult.

The first one is simply a partial list of items (actually two lists) from the book ("Moonwalking with Einstein") where I of learned these memory techniques. The second one is part of my first shopping list remembered like this.
It's been a couple of months since I read the book, but I can still recall most of the first list:

bear (already mentioned)
truck (toy truck placed on a shelf)
university (model of Unseen University from Discworld on the living room table)
Shoe (a single shoe by the door)
Drama (the couple standing in our bed, fighting)
Garbage (a huge smelly pile behind the bedroom door)
Watermelon.

I'm amazed at how well it works. Then again I've always had a very vivid visual imagination.

I use my childhood home as a setting for my shopping lists, starting in the hallway.
Right now there are cans of cat food dropping from the ceiling, rolling along the shoe shelf which is covered in grated cheese, and impacting a packet of spinach with a plasticky crunching sound, and crushing head of lettuce. Orange juice is being poured over everything in sight.

I had a weird feeling the first time I went shopping with this kind of memorized list. As I filled my basket with the items, it felt like I was pulling them straight out of my imagination and into the real world.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read that book, but didn't make the connection. Shows what my memory is like! And what if you don't remember to put an item on the list in the first place? (Another of my problems.)
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5351
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, if you forget to put the item there it's gone. And if you don't spend enough time building the image, something gets messed up. I forgot the cat food from my picture because I got a last minute addition of chocolate that I didn't take the time to properly incorporate. But I learn from my mistakes.
The more ridiculous I make the images, the better it works. I remembered milk, cream, juice and creme fraiche by imagining that was mixing the milk, cream and juice in a bowl, and then getting berated by my girlfriend (it also helps to attach emotions) for thinking that mixing those three would produce creme fraiche. I remembered milk by imagining a miniature of my girlfriend passionately hugging a milk carton.
The giant bag of candy has been subjected to giant slabs of meat or soaking by various drinks, and mushrooms have grown in many odd places.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah I think that's what tipped me off - the extreme absurdity of what you were describing. But as you said, the more impossible and ridiculous, the easier it will be to remember.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: