[Lynne] Sometimes the solution just s... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2013 » [Lynne] Sometimes the solution just stares you in the face « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5322
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always had a problem with one particular housework job. My daughter suggested something that was so obvious it was a forehead-slapper.

What was the job and what was the solution?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2527
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the job involve cleaning? Tidying?
Would it be carried out in the bedroom? Kitchen? Living room? Bathroom? Garage? Laundry room? Garden?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5323
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the job involve cleaning? Tidying? both, but mostly the latter
Would it be carried out in the bedroom? Kitchen? this one Living room? Bathroom? Garage? Laundry room? Garden?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is washing up relevant? Putting things away? Crockery? Cutlery? Pots and pans? Food? Is the solution a new way of storing things?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5324
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is washing up relevant? yessish... Putting things away? Crockery? Cutlery? Pots and pans? all of these Food? no Is the solution a new way of storing things? no
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the solution a dishwasher?
If not, does the solution include: someone else doing the washing up? changing the method of washing up? changing what you wash up with? doing the washing up at different time?
Is washing up a problem in general? Or is there a problem with one particular aspect of it?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5325
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the solution a dishwasher? no, because we already have one
If not, does the solution include: someone else doing the washing up? changing the method of washing up? changing what you wash up with? doing the washing up at different time? no to all
Is washing up a problem in general? Or is there a problem with one particular aspect of it? yes
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the problem that you sometimes stored cookware in the oven? but then sometimes you would preheat the oven, forgetting the cookware in it?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is drying relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5326
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the problem that you sometimes stored cookware in the oven? no but then sometimes you would preheat the oven, forgetting the cookware in it? no
Is drying relevant? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the problem connected with putting the dishes into the dishwasher? Getting them out? Chemicals used? Washing time? Washing frequency? Amount of supplies the dishwasher uses?
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to how best to organize the cookware in the cabinets or wherever else they are put away?
Is the problem that some storage space is hard to reach?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5327
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the problem connected with putting the dishes into the dishwasher? yessish, but only ish Getting them out? ditto Chemicals used? Washing time? Washing frequency? Amount of supplies the dishwasher uses?none of those

Is it related to how best to organize the cookware in the cabinets or wherever else they are put away? no
Is the problem that some storage space is hard to reach? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it only you who empties and refills the dishwasher? Relevant? Is the problem to do with what to do with dirty dishes while the dishwasher is running? To do with how best to arrange dirty stuff in the dishwasher? Did you sometimes have a problem with telling whether the stuff in the dishwasher was dirty or clean? Did you have a problem because you would need something but everything was in the dishwasher? Was the problem to do with not being able to put dirty plates in until someone had emptied out the clean load? Relevant that some things must be washed by hand?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5328
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it only you who empties and refills the dishwasher? generally yes Relevant? no Is the problem to do with what to do with dirty dishes while the dishwasher is running? no, I solved that one at a different time To do with how best to arrange dirty stuff in the dishwasher? no Did you sometimes have a problem with telling whether the stuff in the dishwasher was dirty or clean? n/r Did you have a problem because you would need something but everything was in the dishwasher? no Was the problem to do with not being able to put dirty plates in until someone had emptied out the clean load? no Relevant that some things must be washed by hand? no

The problem was actually a lot simpler than any of these.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5609
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Food remnants relevant? Food remnants drying and getting stuck? Or smelling? Loading/unloading certain items relevant? Many items at once? Is a certain type of dishes relevant? Or a certain type of food/drink remnants? Gloves involved? Risk of injury relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5329
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Food remnants relevant? Food remnants drying and getting stuck? Or smelling? no to these Loading/unloading certain items relevant? Many items at once? these two are on the right track ish Is a certain type of dishes relevant? Or a certain type of food/drink remnants? Gloves involved? Risk of injury relevant? no to rest
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is using dishwasher relevant in general, as opposed to using it in a specific situation, for example after parties? Do the dishes go directly into the dishwasher after being used? Or are stored somewhere and the dishwasher is later filled with all of them at once? Is that relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4596
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there Lynne.

Anything to do with cutlery getting stained or corroded? Do you load your knives and forks handle up or blade/tines up? relevant? Is the little plastic cutlery holder relvant? We kept breaking ours until someone advised me to stop dropping knives in from a height. Anything like this?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5620
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is loading most relevant? Unloading? Both? Relevant: where the items are before loading? Where they are put after unloading? Stacking items relevant? Sorting them?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4598
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something else that annoys me about dishwashers is the little pool of water that collects if your cups have an indented base. I'm hoping this puzzle will provide a solution to that little problem.

Actually while I'm at it , is this problem something most people would have experienced?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5330
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is using dishwasher relevant in general, Yes as opposed to using it in a specific situation, for example after parties? correct Do the dishes go directly into the dishwasher after being used? usually Or are stored somewhere and the dishwasher is later filled with all of them at once? sometimes that happens Is that relevant? yes, the generality of the situation is most relevant

Hi there Lynne. Hi Peter

Anything to do with cutlery getting stained or corroded? Do you load your knives and forks handle up or blade/tines up? relevant? Is the little plastic cutlery holder relvant? We kept breaking ours until someone advised me to stop dropping knives in from a height. Anything like this? LOL no to all

Is loading most relevant? Unloading? this in particular Both? Relevant: where the items are before loading? yes Where they are put after unloading? and this Stacking items relevant? not particularly Sorting them? this is relevant a lot

Something else that annoys me about dishwashers is the little pool of water that collects if your cups have an indented base. I'm hoping this puzzle will provide a solution to that little problem. sorry, no - I might wipe a teatowel over them while still in the dishwasher, but that's all

Actually while I'm at it, is this problem something most people would have experienced? aha - only if they have the same setup as us. My daughter for instance has an easier job and it was because I commented on this difference that she came up with the forehead slapping solution
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4599
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is plugging in the dishwasher relevant? opening/closing the door? Different cycles relevant? The little drawer thing that you put the tablet into? Anything to do with noise or vibrations?

As an aside our cat does not like our dishwasher but is quite fond of the washing machine, go figure.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5331
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is plugging in the dishwasher relevant? opening/closing the door? Different cycles relevant? The little drawer thing that you put the tablet into? Anything to do with noise or vibrations? nothing so precise

As an aside our cat does not like our dishwasher but is quite fond of the washing machine, go figure. bless
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5632
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keeping clean and dirty items separate relevant? Loading right after unloading?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5332
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keeping clean and dirty items separate relevant? Loading right after unloading? nope, although come to think of it, I guess this 'solution' aids your second suggestion

Try and think about what I might have that makes my situation different to many other people.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5634
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the dishwasher different? Is it in an unusual place? Is there something different about you? About the items loaded in the dishwasher? About the stuff stuck to it? About where they are put afterwards? Are they put directly in the place where they belong? Or temporarily in another place? Relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5333
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the dishwasher different? no Is it in an unusual place? no exactly unusual but the location is relevant Is there something different about you? well, I have a sore back, hurty knee and painful heels but otherwise I'm perfectly normal :P About the items loaded in the dishwasher? no, perfectly normal About the stuff stuck to it? no, I just put them back if they're not fully clean, or soak them for a few months About where they are put afterwards? that's relevant Are they put directly in the place where they belong? no Or temporarily in another place? temporarily, YES Relevant? yeppers
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5641
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you put them on/in a: shelf? trolley? Table? Basket? Cupboard? Bucket? Sink? Drawer? Bag? Box?
Is the thing you put them in/onto then moved?

Did the solution do away with this middle step?
Was the solution to take the entire baskets out of the dishwasher, carry them to wherever you needed to put the items, and empty them there?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5334
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you put them on/in a: shelf? trolley? this one Table? Basket? Cupboard? Bucket? Sink? Drawer? Bag? Box?
Is the thing you put them in/onto then moved? yes

Did the solution do away with this middle step? no - this WAS the solution!
Was the solution to take the entire baskets out of the dishwasher, carry them to wherever you needed to put the items, and empty them there? no, far too heavy and risky

********** SPOILER ***************

We have a long kitchen with the dishwasher in the utility room at the far end. It was tedious carrying a few items at a time and taking them to the various cupboards (yeah, I know - first world problem). I said to my daughter that emptying her dishwasher was so much quicker because all the cupboards were around it. She said 'you need a trolley'. Yep - duh! Now I can take everything out at once, load it on the three shelves (it's an old TV trolley/cart) and wheel it round the kitchen. Yep, Stepford wife - but with a sore back, hurty knee and whatever other bodypart decides to malfunction, it certainly saves time and effort. I'm sure that ancient man invented the wheel for just this purpose.

Thank you one and all.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5335
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it on the trolley? (Victoria Wood)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oR4bD6PaTE
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4603
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one Lynne

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: