[Dave] Critter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2013 » [Dave] Critter « Previous Next »

Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a critter I used to bag when in the mountains. It is good eating and I especially like the liver. The liver is so large you would think it is diseased. It is better than veal liver. I have since learned the error of my ways. Why?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18486
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the particular "critter" relevant? Is it relevant that you used the word "critter"?
Is poison relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just "too much of a good thing?"
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin

Is the particular "critter" relevant? yes Is it relevant that you used the word "critter"? yes
Is poison relevant? no

Solo1

Is it just "too much of a good thing?" no
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the liver so large naturally? Is the liver of the critter healthy to eat?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Critter as in animal? if so: a mammal? a bird? a reptile? a fish? does it live in the mountains?
Is the liver large in total size? in weight? large compared with the animal's size?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine

Is the liver so large naturally? It has been in all I have seen Is the liver of the critter healthy to eat? none have ever hurt me, or anyone I have persuaded to try

Sundowner (Sundowner)

Critter as in animal? if so: a mammal? this a bird? a reptile? a fish? does it live in the mountains? yes
Is the liver large in total size? in weight? large compared with the animal's size? yes to all three
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it marmot (woodchuck, groundhog)? hedgehog?
Is it a domesticated animal? an animal that exists in its domesticated form, but also lives wild in the mountains?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mimino

Is it marmot (woodchuck, groundhog)? hedgehog?
Is it a domesticated animal? an animal that exists in its domesticated form, but also lives wild in the mountains? no to all
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3990
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a deer of some kind?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez

is it a deer of some kind? no, however, when we were poor we said all meat was dear
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I told you - I'm supposed to do the puns around here!
Is the critter, by any chance, ursine? feline? porcine? or some other kind of -ine?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1

I told you - I'm supposed to do the puns around here!
Is the critter, by any chance, ursine? no feline? no porcine? no or some other kind of -ine? yesish
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how did you learn the error of your ways? Did you read something? Hear something? Watch something that changed your mind?
Did your error concern the critter? The liver? Bagging critters in general?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it cervine, but not a deer? an elk maybe? Not a wild hare, sheep, or goat, as these also exist in domestic types, correct? Not a marmot, but some other type of rodent?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1

Is it cervine, but not a deer? no an elk maybe? no Not a wild hare, sheep, or goat, as these also exist in domestic types, correct? correct Not a marmot, but some other type of rodent? yes
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A beaver? a river rat, coypu or the like?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5689
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the error of your ways include: killing it? Eating it? Eating the liver? Preparation techniques? Where you hunt it? When? How?
Does the error affect you badly? Does it affect the animals badly (in addition to the ones eaten, that is)? Does it affect nature in a relevant way? Does it affect some other person in a relevant way?
Did you learn the error of your ways because of: something you experienced? Something you observed? Something you read? Something you were told?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mimino

A beaver? a river rat, coypu or the like? no to all

Galfisk)

Does the error of your ways include: killing it? yes Eating it? Eating the liver? Preparation techniques? Where you hunt it? When? How?
Does the error affect you badly? Does it affect the animals badly (in addition to the ones eaten, that is)? Does it affect nature in a relevant way? Does it affect some other person in a relevant way? yes, no to the others
Did you learn the error of your ways because of: something you experienced? Something you observed? Something you read? Something you were told? an article I read
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the animal of an endangered/threatened species?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5692
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it affect: one person? A group? People with a certain thing in common? Do they benefit from the animal? Do they hunt the animal? Do they worship the animal? Do they tame the animal? Medicine relevant?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kyeannpepper

Is the animal of an endangered/threatened species? no

Galfisk

Does it affect: one person? no A group? no People with a certain thing in common? yes Do they benefit from the animal? yes Do they hunt the animal? yesish Do they worship the animal? no Do they tame the animal? NoMedicine relevant? no
Ostap (Ostap)
Username: Ostap

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do those who (yesishly) hunt the animal hunt it because of its meat? its fur? something else?
Do they consider hunting the animal a sport or competition?
Do they receive benefit from the animal when it is still alive? in wild? after they caught it?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5711
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the benefit to their: health? Finances? Culture? Happiness? Relevant how common the animal is? Do they kill the animal? Catch it alive? Uninjured? Do they chase it, but not catch it?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ostap

Do those who (yesishly) hunt the animal hunt it because of its meat? yes its fur? something else?
Do they consider hunting the animal a sport or competition? no to all else
Do they receive benefit from the animal when it is still alive? in wild? after they caught it?

Galfisk (Galfisk)

Is the benefit to their: health? this Finances? Culture? Happiness? Relevant how common the animal is? Do they kill the animal? this Catch it alive? Uninjured? Do they chase it, but not catch it?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this is something you hunt in the mountains, is it an animal not found, or not so commonly found, in flatter country? Is it something found only (or mostly) in the mountain states? in Northern states?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 628
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1

If this is something you hunt in the mountains, is it an animal not found, or not so commonly found, in flatter country? Is it something found only (or mostly) in the mountain states? in Northern states? I don't hunt it, never have but when I found one I would bag it because I like the taste, but I stopped, Why? I have bagged them from Penjnsylvania to Utah
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5715
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the animals: common? Rare? Do they eat the liver? Any other specific part? Do they get an essential nutrient from the animal? Do they get sick if they don't eat the animal? Is it their only source of something? Or their main source?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Are the animals: common? somewhat Rare? Do they eat the liver? Any other specific part? Do they get an essential nutrient from the animal? Do they get sick if they don't eat the animal? Is it their only source of something? Or their main source? who is they
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless it's an armadillo, I'm out. It's not, is it?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen an armadillo in the Rockies
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it was just a WAG. I had heard that they were being seen further North than they used to be, but apparently not that far.
Let's see, what other rodent-like animals are there? Surely not skunks! Porcupines? Possums?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1

Well, it was just a WAG. I had heard that they were being seen further North than they used to be, but apparently not that far.
Let's see, what other rodent-like animals are there? Surely not skunks! Porcupines? bang bang shot me down, now why do I let them be Possums?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it strikes me they would be difficult to dress out!
but this has to do with their livers. Must read up on porcupine livers. Back soon.
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1

Well, it strikes me they would be difficult to dress out! actually not, just hang them by the front paws and start at the belly
but this has to do with their livers. Must read up on porcupine livers. Back soon. Livers was an interesting note in case you ever wanted to bag one. the question is why I leave the animal alone when i see it.
Ostap (Ostap)
Username: Ostap

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the people who hunt the porcupine native Americans? does porcupine meat (or dishes made of it) have a particular role in their culture? in their diet? are traditions, feasts linked to the porcupine?
Does porcupine meat have a particular quality? (apart from being tasty)
Is it rich in protein? vitamines? low in fat?
Is it the only source of meat with this quality for the people who are hunting it?
Is the method of hunting relevant?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's not that there might be something unsafe about eating porcupine? Or that you're concerned about population size?

Did you learn something about the animal that made you feel personally bad about killing one (ex. you learn how long the parents take care of their babies and don't want to risk destroying a whole family of them)? Did you realize the practice was disadvantaging you in a way you didn't realize before? Were you angering someone? Risking a fine?

Could your reasoning apply to other animals? Would you recommend to others that they not eat porcupine either?

Did you just find something that tasted much better? =)
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gourami

So it's not that there might be something unsafe about eating porcupine? Or that you're concerned about population size? no, it's not

Did you learn something about the animal that made you feel personally bad about killing one (ex. you learn how long the parents take care of their babies and don't want to risk destroying a whole family of them)? Did you realize the practice was disadvantaging you in a way you didn't realize before? Were you angering someone? Risking a fine? no

Could your reasoning apply to other animals? no Would you recommend to others that they not eat porcupine either? most people wouldn't

Did you just find something that tasted much better? =) no
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, can you get Ostap's questions above? I think he's on to something.
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 669
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ostap

sorry for missing this post,thanx Gourami for catching it
Are the people who hunt the porcupine native Americans? does porcupine meat (or dishes made of it) have a particular role in their culture? in their diet? are traditions, feasts linked to the porcupine?
Does porcupine meat have a particular quality? (apart from being tasty)
Is it rich in protein? vitamines? low in fat?
Is it the only source of meat with this quality for the people who are hunting it?
Is the method of hunting relevant? not to my knowledge or no to all
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 891
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're still around, Deholmes...

Do you leave the porcupines alone so as to preserve them for this other group of people who are hunting them? Or for some other reason? Do you not want to be mistaken as being from this group of people?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you leave the porcupines alone so as to preserve them for this other group of people who are hunting them? Or for some other reason? Do you not want to be mistaken as being from this group of people
for some who may have greater need
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I've stayed around and played around this old town too long
*****************************************SPOILER*********************************************
Porcupines are easy to kill, easy to skin and delicious eating forget trying to shoot one except to get it out of a tree. Hitting it on both sides of the head at the same time with two thick sticks does the job well. Whether that kills or just stuns it doesn't matter because before he wakes up his liver is in the fry pan. Why do I not bag one when I see it now, except if it is around the house and ruining my trees, Is because it is so easy to kill it makes a good survival food and for some poor sucker, lost in the mountains, it may be life or death. So, I leave it there for him.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 743
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easy to skin??!?
If I move to an area where they are common, I will ask you for instructions on dressing them out. I'd have to be pretty hungry tho.
For that matter, I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat a possum!
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

{How to skin:
Hang the critter in any way convenient, spread eagle and about eye height, this will do also for gutting the animal. There are no quills on the belly. Then roll the skin back on itself so the quills are inside the skin roll and not in position to stick you. because he is dead the quills are laying down flat. Continue to roll the skin as you skin the aimal. I've skinned many without incident. good luck to you.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 944
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaaaaaaaand that will go in the pile of "things I never expected to learn on the LTPF" :-)
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry if the detail bothered you Kalira, it was in response to Solo1.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 6249
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I for one found it quite interesting. The number of things I've learned on the LTPF that I never expected to has just grown by one :-) But I find that we LTPF'ers have fascinating topics to discuss. One thing I can say about this forum - it's never, ever dull.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Dave. No, the detail didn't bother me. My comment was meant to convey the same thing Kaylee said (though hers was said with considerably more eloquence). No worries :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: