[Yojimbo] no easy way out Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2013 » [Yojimbo] no easy way out « Previous Next »

Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon thought the helicopter would be too expensive, so he walked.
Kiyomoon (Kiyomoon)
Username: Kiyomoon

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Title relevant?
Was Jon alone? With a person? With a pet?
Would it have been more logical to walk? Did he have the option to take a car? A train? A bike? A skateboard?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Title relevant? indeed, especially the way Jon tells it...
Was Jon alone? With a person? a HAM With a pet?
Would it have been more logical to walk? for svv of "logical," so let's say that's irrelevant -- you'll see in the $poiler... Did he have the option to take a car? A train? A bike? A skateboard?
no to all
Senorita_illuminata (Senorita_illuminata)
Username: Senorita_illuminata

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the 'helicopter', is it real, or a model helicopter or similar?
was he planning on using it to escape from somewhere? if so, jail?
mental hospital?
bushland?
is the HAM he is with a friend , foe , family member, associate?
relevant who the other HAM is?
Senorita_illuminata (Senorita_illuminata)
Username: Senorita_illuminata

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you say he walked, do you mean simply, that he walked away from a sale?(long shot i know, just had to ask!)
would he have had more success if he had procured the helicopter?
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 622
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a medical helicopter? rescue? Is Jon lost in a remote area? in the mountains? Would the cost be the same because the helicopter had already been dispatched?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5696
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Expensive for: him? a group including him? Another person? another group? Expensive to: buy? Fly? Rent? Did the other person also walk?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Senorita_illuminata
the 'helicopter', is it real this, or a model helicopter or similar?
was he planning on using it to escape from somewhere? not this, but... if so, jail?
mental hospital?
bushland?
is the HAM he is with a friend this..., foe , family member, associate ...and also this?
relevant who the other HAM is?

Deholmes
Is it a medical helicopter? rescue? yes Is Jon lost in a remote area? in the mountains? yes Would the cost be the same because the helicopter had already been dispatched? no helicopter was dispatched

Galfisk
Expensive for: him? yes a group including him? Another person? another group? Expensive to: buy? Fly? Rent? not these options, although all would be pricey -- but those options are irrelevant to Jon Did the other person also walk? yes
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "expensive", did Jon mean the cost in money? Did he expect to pay for his flight? Was Jon injured? Was his friend injured? Did any of them need help? Was any of them in danger?
Kiyomoon (Kiyomoon)
Username: Kiyomoon

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Title relevant?
Would it have been more logical to walk? Did he have the option to take a car? A train? A bike? A skateboard?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 626
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he found by rescuers? Did he walk out with them?
If he was lost would he not be able to find his way out without following the rescuers?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would Jon have had to pay fo the rescue?

was it easier to get out on foot than by helicopter? was he underground?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is moving along rather briskly...!

Redwine
By "expensive", did Jon mean the cost in money? indeed: $ Did he expect to pay for his flight? yes Was Jon injured? yes Was his friend injured? no Did any of them need help? Jon could have used some... Was any of them in danger? not really, other than injured

Kiyomoon
Title relevant?
same answers as before... I'm glad I'm not the only duplicate poster...

Deholmes
Was he found by rescuers? no Did he walk out with them? no
If he was lost not lost would he not be able to find his way out without following the rescuers?

Shez
would Jon have had to pay for the rescue? yes
was it easier to get out on foot than by helicopter? not at all... was he underground? no
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he break a leg or arm? Was he riding the river?
Was he stranded?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he brave his injury in order to save some money? Was he rich? Poor? Stingy? Tough?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how the men got in the mountains? How Jon got injured? Could Jon easily call the helicopter? Would that phone call be expensive?
Did either of the men neglect safety issues before going to the mountains? If yes: informing where they are going? Buying insurance? Taking phones with them? Taking documents with them?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$poiler imminent; will answer below, and then...

Deholmes
Did he break a leg or arm? Was he riding the river?
Was he stranded? no to all

Galfisk
Did he brave his injury in order to save some money? yes Was he rich? Poor? Stingy? frugal... Tough? and most definitely this

Redwine
Is it relevant how the men got in the mountains? long approach hike How Jon got injured? mostly irrel Could Jon easily call the helicopter? indeed, although cell phones didn't really yet exist Would that phone call be expensive? not at all
Did either of the men neglect safety issues before going to the mountains? not before, but... If yes: informing where they are going? Buying insurance? Taking phones with them? Taking documents with them? none applicable

and here's the
************ spoiler ************
In 1984, my brother, Jon, an avid mountaineer, was climbing Mt. Three Fingers, in the Cascade Range east of Seattle, for the third or fourth time. He and his colleague encountered a short, icy patch of "exposure" [to peril, hazard, or danger, as mountaineers use the term], but as it was such a short stretch - no more than three meters - they declined to bother to rope up, but Jon slipped while crossing, and fell.
The down-slope snow was so icy that Jon, although highly capable, couldn't manage self-arrest with his ice-axe, and slid down the icy slope about three hundred meters, eventually stopping in deep snow that became pink with his blood - he was wearing merely shorts and a t-shirt; maybe you shouldn't try to imagine the nasty abrasions.
Although cell phones didn't yet exist, he and his climbing partner, both electronics engineers, had hand-held HAM radios, and could have made a telephone call from the mountains, calling in a rescue helicopter.
The intrepid Jon, though, thought of the cost of mountain rescue, for which he would be billed, and instead, hiked a bloody twenty-five kilometers to the trailhead and the car, and his colleague drove him to the hospital, from which he emerged a couple days later, enshrouded in bandages like a mummy. I've always admired my older brother, but will never forget how impressed I was with his perhaps-foolish Grit.

having been absent from the LTPF for some time, I think I made this rather too easy: give me a break; I'm out of practice...! Perhaps I might have stated the puzzle situation as:
...so he walked.
thanks for participating; we'll see if I can't post something a bit more head-scratching...
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - I don't know if your brother was more intrepid or insane - speaking from my perspective as a flatlander!

Good puzzle, no apology necessary.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Climbing sounds fun and strategic, although at 50 I'm not about to start now! Glad he was ok.
I thought these guys always were harnessed to some "protection", so you could only fall so far .. or was this a mild climb and the ice caught them by surprise?
Deholmes (Deholmes)

Post Number: 643
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Welcome back, like you, I did a lot on LTPF in the '90s and it is good to be back
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beachbum
Climbing sounds fun and strategic, although at 50 I'm not about to start now! Glad he was ok.
I thought these guys always were harnessed to some "protection", so you could only fall so far .. or was this a mild climb and the ice caught them by surprise?
harnessed or otherwise safely anchored when necessary... and in this case, they wrongly thought not.

Deholmes
Welcome back, like you, I did a lot on LTPF in the '90s and it is good to be back
Like several gasping breaths of good air. I'll look forward to scouting you, and vice versa, on the LTPF; be well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: