[BeachBum] Trifecta Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solvled Puzzles - May 2013 » [BeachBum] Trifecta « Previous Next »

Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why was I enjoying listening to something which very few people (if that) could understand?
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it music, spoken word, unusual language?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 601
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it music, Sometimes
spoken word Usually, but beware F/A
unusual language? Noish
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 5728
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it rap? Scat? some other musical speech? Understand: understand a language? Understand an art form? Understand how to enjoy?
Did you enjoy it because it showed talent?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it rap? No Scat? No some other musical speech? No - I think you have a false assumption

Understand: understand a language? Yes, depending on how you define "language" Understand an art form? No Understand how to enjoy? No
Did you enjoy it because it showed talent? In part, but again beware FAs
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5732
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it made by: one human? Several humans? Animal(s)? Machine(s)? Instrument(s)?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it made by: one human? Well actually you could think of this as a genre, so then more than one. But as far as one single listening goes, I would say Yope, or maybe it depends Several humans? So maybe this, DOYD Animal(s)? No, as far I know Machine(s)? Yes Instrument(s)? DOYD of instruments, either "Yes" or "sometimes"
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5737
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Machines: computers? Robots? Vehicles? Combustion engines? Electronic devices? Electrical equipment? Is it some sort of techno music? Other music made using samples of different noises? Are the sounds assembled using computers? recorded and played back as-is? Only performed live? Dubstep relevant?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Machines: computers? I suppose in some cases Robots? Vehicles? Combustion engines? Electronic devices? Yes Electrical equipment? And yes (No to the rest)

Is it some sort of techno music? I suppose some of it could be, although I haven't heard of such - and I think there is a false assumption here
Other music made using samples of different noises? Entirely possible Are the sounds assembled using computers? Could be but not necessarily recorded and played back as-is? Not sure what your mean Only performed live?very unlikely Dubstep relevant? To say that you are OTWT would be an understatement here
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK a hint: There is often music involved, and one could indeed pursue this path. But unless you have actually listened to this stuff before, trying to figure out the type of music could be a red herring. And after all, some of this listening experience might not involve music at all!
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you listen to it for professional reason? Did you listen to it played in the radio? Did you listen to it played on your computer? Can it be recorded on a CD? Did you see anything relevant while listening? Did you listen to it alone?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you listen to it for professional reason? No Did you listen to it played in the radio? No with a very slight ish Did you listen to it played on your computer? Yes Can it be recorded on a CD? As long as I don't profit from it, I think Did you see anything relevant while listening? No Did you listen to it alone? Yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5756
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something wrong with the computer? Was ii played through the computer's speakers? Or headphones? Did you want the computer to play it? Was the computer frozen, repeating the same bit of sound over and over? Did you find it humorous? Informative? Educational? Annoying? Entertaining? Relaxing?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something wrong with the computer? No Was ii played through the computer's speakers? Or headphones? from Computer speakers, but mostly irrelevant how I heard it, except that if I had... Was the computer frozen, repeating the same bit of sound over and over? No

Did you find it humorous? No Informative? No Educational? Yes Annoying? No Entertaining? for me it was Relaxing? No, I wouldn't put it in that category
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you learn foreign language by listening to this?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you learn foreign language by listening to this? No
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4019
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could you only hear certain wavelengths?

were you listening to white noise?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could you only hear certain wavelengths? Yope or Yesish

were you listening to white noise? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5820
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a hearing test? Speaker test? Audio compression algorithm test? Some other test?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a hearing test? Speaker test? Audio compression algorithm test? Some other test? No to all
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5828
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it have worked with: headphones? A mono speaker? One headphone? Surround sound? Is it modem noises? DTMF signals? Some other data encoded as audio? Video games relevant?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it have worked with: headphones? Yes A mono speaker? Yes One headphone?Yes Surround sound? Well it could be listened to on a surround sound system but is not encoded that way Is it modem noises? No DTMF signals? No Some other data encoded as audio? Yes, beware FA Video games relevant? Not that I know of
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5847
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was text encoded as tones? Such that the notes represented their letters (CDEFGAB)? Is notpron (the hardest riddle on the internet) relevant? Some other riddle?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was text encoded as tones? Such that the notes represented their letters (CDEFGAB)? No Is notpron (the hardest riddle on the internet) relevant? No Some other riddle? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5852
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morse code? Some other code that's supposed to be human-readable? Machine-readable? Were you learning the code? Listen to the encoded message?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morse code? No, but somewhat OTRT Some other code that's supposed to be human-readable? Well, human-decodable Machine-readable? I've heard of this done as well, although normally one would listen to it Were you learning the code? No, in fact it would be impossible for me to do so if I wanted to Listen to the encoded message? Yes
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: You may have a false assumption about listening to specific frequencies. Also, the number 5 is often relevant.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5875
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can one learn this code? Languages relevant? Hearing problems relevant? Medical devices?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can one learn this code? Yope .. also a slight blooper: by some definitions it would be more accurately called a cipher, although not many people know if this is true in every case. Languages relevant?
Slightly yesish Hearing problems relevant? No Medical devices? No
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can one learn this code? Yope .. also a slight blooper: by some definitions it would be more accurately called a cipher, although not many people know if this is true in every case. Languages relevant?
Slightly yesish Hearing problems relevant? No Medical devices? No
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe that this puzzle is drying out already...

Slight semi-de-blooper: Upon doing more research, Morse code could indeed in some cases be relevant.. I just didn't know that, at the time when I answered the question, and I personally haven't heard an instance where it was involved.

Also, I was possibly incorrect when I a asserted that everything I listened to was a cipher and not a code .. I personally think that every thing I heard were ciphers, but according to some quick research, it may be possible that some of what I listened to may have been codes instead (personally i doubt it) but we may never know for sure...
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5901
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would a person who didn't know the cipher hear: noise? Nonsense words? Words that make sense? Steganography relevant? Backwards messages? Sound recorded at the wrong speed?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would a person who didn't know the cipher hear: noise? Sometimes in the background, careful F/A Nonsense words? No Words that make sense? Spoken speech, Yes. I'm not sure if they are technically considered words, even after a quick interweb search. But you would understand what they mean when spoken individually - and I would suspect that many if not most adults would understand most of them when even when spoken in different languages, which they often are!

Steganography relevant? Backwards messages? Sound recorded at the wrong speed? Let's say No

I think maybe I should just $poil at the point, but one more hint - Something happened in the last few days in the US (which I didn't know before I posted the puzzle), which is very relevant - don't get sidetracked, but let's say this type of "event" often involves a certain snack.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would a person who didn't know the cipher hear: noise? Sometimes in the background, careful F/A Nonsense words? No Words that make sense? Spoken speech, Yes. I'm not sure if they are technically considered words, even after a quick interweb search. But you would understand what they mean when spoken individually - and I would suspect that many if not most adults would understand most of them when even when spoken in different languages, which they often are!

Steganography relevant? Backwards messages? Sound recorded at the wrong speed? Let's say No

I think maybe I should just $poil at the point, but one more hint - Something happened in the last few days in the US (which I didn't know before I posted the puzzle), which is very relevant - don't get sidetracked, but let's say this type of "event" often involves a certain snack.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 659
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why does it seem that my handful of puzzles that really explore mostly unknown topics, just stall?

Alright, short-wave radio and Google is allowed.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 5911
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you listening to a numbers station?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 660
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you listening to a numbers station? Yes!

... .--. --- .. .-.. . .-.

*****SPOILER******

I recently web-surfed on to the topic of shortwave numbers stations. When I was a kid my dad had a short wave receiver and I remember listening to these, obviously not knowing at the time what they were.

A Google on "Numbers Stations" will describe it much better than I.

And the site below is where I was listening in - some of the recordings do sound somewhat spooky.

5 relevant because it is often numbers spoken in groups of five.

Snack relevant because recently a movie came out in theaters called "Numbers Station". (Unfortunately not very good IMO)..

http://archive.org/details/ird059

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: