[Solo1] Jeopaardy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solvled Puzzles - May 2013 » [Solo1] Jeopaardy « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if some on the forum would consider this to be a lateral puzzle. It's not 20 questions, however. I posted a similar puzzle, involving a cat, a couple of years ago, and it went over well. If many of you object to this puzzle as being out of order, I will $poyle and abandon it. I mostly just want to vent!

Being nosy, I've asked such of the forum that wish to, to tell their ages. Now I am going to have to tell mine, in a way: I'm old enough to be on Medicare, and recently got a survey to fill out for them. Most questions were easy enough, but my reaction to three of them was as follows:
1. "Don't know" is an option? Wouldn't anyone know if they had or not?
2. Why isn't "Don't know" an option? Why can't I answer "yope" or "n.r.?"
3. I know what that 4-letter word means, thank you. Anyone who can read this form would know!
What were the questions?

And for bonus points, what did they _not_ ask that I felt they should have?
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry for being the 20 questions instigator - don't get me wrong - I'm just nitpicking, and after all, all of these puzzles have some head-scratching, lateral element to them. So I won't bring that up again :-) And by no means is any mentally challenging puzzle out of order here, well at least IMO!

So, was the survey completely independent of any actual official correspondence regarding Medicare?
Was it sort of a customer satisfaction survey? Was it issued from the US government? Or some third party? In your view, was it politically oriented?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 588
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, was the survey completely independent of any actual official correspondence regarding Medicare? Umm - I think it was just regarding my general health, if I understand your question.
Was it sort of a customer satisfaction survey? NoWas it issued from the US government? Or some third party?Yope to both. Seems to have been issued by a 3rd party on behalf of Medicare. N.r. to the puzzle content. In your view, was it politically oriented? No, just kinda stupid.
Hope you do enjoy this puzzle, Beachbum!
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4014
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there a 4 letter word in the text followed by an explanation? or perhaps an asterisk with an explanation below?

was it an acronym? an English word? a verb? noun? adjective?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 589
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there a 4 letter word in the text followed by an explanation?Yes or perhaps an asterisk with an explanation below?

was it an acronym?no an English word? Yesa verb? noun? Can be a verb or a noun; used as a noun here.adjective?\
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just noticed I misspelled jeopardy. I do know how to spell it, my finger just slipped.

A little nudge:
No. 1 is an action, obviously, though some call it a "pre-existing condition."
No. 2 is an ability. I don't know if I have it or not. Why would I not know?
No. 3 starts with "f", but it's a perfectly polite word!
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like this is moribund. I am going to follow in the footsteps of others, and $poyle if no action over the weekend.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No 2 - do you not know because it is hard or impossible for you to check if you have it? Because a situation has never arisen which requires you to demonstrate this ability? Would it be easy for you to establish if you have this ability?

Is No 3 a word connected to health? A body part? A condition? A verb? Noun? Adjective? Conjunction? Preposition? Adverb?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No 2 - do you not know because it is hard Yesor impossible for you to check if you have it? Because a situation has never arisen which requires you to demonstrate this ability?Yes, although it is possible that other people would not find it impossible to check to see if they have this ability. Would it be easy for you to establish if you have this ability? I would have to make a special effort, so not imppossible, but not easy.

Is No 3 a word connected to health? No, notnecessarily. A body part? No; it would happen to the entire body at once. A condition? A verb?This. Noun? but also sometimes used as this. Adjective? Conjunction? Preposition? Adverb?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4021
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

still a bit fixated on the 4-letter word - is it a word which has a different meaning as a noun and a verb? like fall?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez; yes, and that is exactly the word: fall!

(Sorry, on library computer again.)
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So - in part 3, they used the word 'fall', then went on to explain what it means? Were they asking if you had fallen recently? If you tend to fall often? About a specific instance of falling, like hair falling out?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay: Yes, the defined the word "fall." They asked if I had fallen recently, but not if I fall often, or if my hair falls out.

So, one down, two to go.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been reunited with my computer (oh joy, joy) so here is another clue:
It has been established that the answer to #3 is the word "fall."
#1 concerns a habit that a person would certainly know if they had.
#2 concerns something that some members of the forum may habitually do every day. I do not, as I have no need to.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More free hints:
#1 is generally considered a bad habit.
#2 is usually considered a good thing to do, but I cannot do it because of where I live.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#1 have you ever been a smoker?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#1 have you ever been a smoker?Close enough! Actually the question was "Have you smoked in the past 60 days?"

Two down, only one left! Here's a hint for #2: It can be considered exercise. Why don't I get this exercise every day?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4034
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you walk/cycle to work? and you work from home or are retired?

do you use the stairs instead of the lift? and you llive/work on the ground floor?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 625
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you walk/cycle to work? and you work from home or are retired? N.r. to both

do you use the stairs instead of the lift? and you llive/work on the ground floor? Yessish or yes to both. Basically, that's the

*******************SPOILER*************
The question was "Can you climb several flights of stairs without getting out of breath?" In the first place, how many flights is "several?" In the second place, I don't know because I live in a one-story house, and almost everywhere I go is all on one floor. Last time I had a reason to go higher was to an office on the 5th floor, and I didn't even try to climb that high.

Our tax dollars at work. End of rant.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 626
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and the question that they should have asked, but didn't: "Were you hospitalized in the last year?" and the answer is "Yes."
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4036
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES!!!!!!

thanks Solo1 - I love being right!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: