{KayleeArafinwiel} Further up and fur... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2013 » {KayleeArafinwiel} Further up and further in « Previous Next »

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 6132
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Deathday!

I believe I've run a puzzle with this puzzle statement before. It may be marginally helpful, but they do not have the same answer. Oh, and KayleeTonksLupin and KayleeArafinwiel are both me. =) In case the newbies did not know I am the one and only Kaylee here. So far.
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry Potter relevant? If so: Nearly Headless Nick?

Mexico's Day of the Dead relevant?

Post Number: 6133
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry Potter relevant? If so: Nearly Headless Nick? No to both (although they were relevant to the other puzzle with this statement)

Mexico's Day of the Dead relevant? No again, although it was relevant before too.

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOTR relevant? Tolkien?
Based purely on the fact that you used your so-called 'LOTR' username for this puzzle..

Post Number: 6135
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOTR relevant? Tolkien? Yes, a minor character from LOTR is relevant.
Based purely on the fact that you used your so-called 'LOTR' username for this puzzle..Well spotted =D

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kaylee...I shall now turn the puzzle over to Balin, as I still have not read LOTR...I shall eventually.
And sorry for making you wait on my LatVenture, I'm actually still kinda planning out the 'venture within the 'venture... *sigh*

Post Number: 6144
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*puts copy of LOTR in Kyeann kitteh's pawz* read. plz. thnx. =)

HINT: The minor character is mentioned briefly in "A Long-Expected Party" (the opening chapter of Fellowship of the Ring), and in Appendix C of Return of the King.

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might I googlepedia for this, considering that the LOTR copy in my pawz iz only on teh inturwebz?
(This is actually a pointless question, as I have already used googlepedia).

Post Number: 6147
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you may googlepedia, silly kitteh

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of the family trees, is the character in:
Baggins of Hobbiton?
Took of Great Smials?
Brandybuck of Buckland?
The Longfather-Tree of Master Samwise?

Post Number: 6151
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of the family trees, is the character in:
Baggins of Hobbiton? this one =)
Took of Great Smials?
Brandybuck of Buckland?
The Longfather-Tree of Master Samwise?

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which one of these is it?
I am far too lazy to type out all those names.

Post Number: 6153
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have invoked the [LTPF List of Bagginses of Bag End]. The Baggins in question is Miss Dora Baggins, daughter of Fosco and Ruby Baggins (nee Bolger), and elder sister of Drogo Baggins and Dudo Baggins.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tolkien's LOTR relevant? Or your fan fiction? Or both?

Post Number: 6156
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both - well done =)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her death relevant?

Post Number: 6159
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her death relevant? while it has no visible effect on LOTR (save that it is noted in the Appendices), her death is entirely relevant as the starting point for the fic.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything relevant outside the world of LOTR, such as dates, real events, real people, or cultural customs?

Post Number: 6161
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything relevant outside the world of LOTR, such as dates, real events, real people, or cultural customs?

No, with a slight but important 'ish'. Hobbit cultural customs are relevant (though that's not the ish)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hobbit funeral customs? Do they celebrate death somehow?

Post Number: 6163
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hobbit funeral customs? Yes - somewhat fanon ones, I admit, since canon seems to be mostly silent on the matter - but see On Funerals Do they celebrate death somehow? To a point - see the fic for more. (I didn't write it, my friend Dreamflower did, but my fic owes a lot to this one. You might want to read from the beginning, but that's the relevant chapter...)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feast relevant? Consolation of the bereaved?

Post Number: 6165
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feast relevant? Consolation of the bereaved? Both
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone say, "Happy Deathday"?

Post Number: 6167
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone say, "Happy Deathday"?
No, lol
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something relevant occur at her funeral?

Post Number: 6169
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something relevant occur yes at her funeral? yes. Someone *did* say something. And while it wasn't "Happy Deathday", that's - somewhat - on the right track. It was not as humorous as that would be, though.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it one of the many well-intended utterances common at funerals and other such occasions meant to make someone feel better?
If so:
-something that implied that the person should not feel sad?
-something about a personal quality of the deceased?
-something regarding funeral matters and responsibilities?

Post Number: 6172
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it one of the many well-intended utterances common at funerals and other such occasions meant to make someone feel better?
If so:
-something that implied that the person should not feel sad?
-something about a personal quality of the deceased? DOYD of 'personal quality' - and it was addressed by a mourner to the deceased.
-something regarding funeral matters and responsibilities?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While the deceased was still alive?
Immediately after the death?
Some time after the death?

Post Number: 6174
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While the deceased was still alive? no
Immediately after the death? well, at the end of the funeral
Some time after the death? it may have been a couple of days
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant who said it?

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant who said it?
yes - he's a major character in LOTR
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*has only read The Hobbit*

Is this character in the Hobbit?

*tries hard to remember other characters*
-Frodo?
-Gandalf?
-Boromir?
-Faramir?
-The gardener (Sam something?)?
-Legolas?
-Galadriel?
-Pip? (I think there's one named Pip or Pippin or something; forgive me if I've mixed my books up)

Post Number: 6178
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*has only read The Hobbit* xD

Is this character in the Hobbit? no - The Hobbit takes place about 27 years before he was born

*tries hard to remember other characters*
-Frodo? Yes.
-Gandalf?
-Boromir?
-Faramir?
-The gardener (Sam something?) Samwise Gamgee, Sam for short. But it was Frodo.?
-Legolas?
-Galadriel?
-Pip? (I think there's one named Pip or Pippin or something; forgive me if I've mixed my books up you have not - Pippin's name is Peregrin Took in full, though he was called Pippin commonly, and Pip very occasionally, I believe. However, Frodo is the one who said it.)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that Frodo is a Baggins relevant? Any other member of the family relevant?

Post Number: 6180
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that Frodo is a Baggins relevant? Very Any other member of the family relevant? Yes, both living (his cousin Daisy) and dead (several others in the main bit of the story)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Frodo mention his relationship to Dora in his statement? Does he mention any other family members? Does he liken the death to a type of birth?

Post Number: 6183
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Frodo mention his relationship to Dora in his statement? in my fic? no Does he mention any other family members? not in his statement, though when he talks with his cousin Daisy, yes Does he liken the death to a type of birth? not literally, but this will do admirably for a ***SPOILER***, even so:

In my LOTR fic, "Hara Máriessë mi Mandos" Frodo Baggins speaks the titular phrase to his recently deceased Aunt Dora as her body is viewed at the funeral. It literally means "Stay in happiness in Mandos" (the Tolkien equivalent to an afterlife, in this context), and he intended it as a blessing for her, that she would be reunited with their family - as, indeed, she was. =) The phrase is Quenya (High-Elven) and Cousin Daisy had to ask him what it meant. Most Hobbits don't believe in a Higher Power or an afterlife, but Frodo and his "Uncle" Bilbo Baggins (actually first and second cousin, once removed either way), are knowledgeable of Elven lore and have beliefs more in line with the Elves. Dora knew of that, and respected it - so the main part of the story is her POV after death, finding out what does await the innocent Hobbits in the next life. =)

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You leave for a day and look what happens ;D. Nice job, Ciaobella, my experience is purely through the movies (most of which I lost track of due to the sheer mass of characters) and Kaylee's puzzles =D.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: