[Solo1] Sad & sober colors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solvled Puzzles - May 2013 » [Solo1] Sad & sober colors « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to break the trend & hopefully inspire more new puzzles.
"She" is in mourning.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "She" a human? A country? A statue? An animal? A man-made object?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "She" a human? A country? A statue? An animal?No to all. A man-made object? Yes.

Off to a good start!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4675
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could she be Grecian by any chance?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18530
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "she" a ship?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could she be Grecian by any chance?Nope

Is "she" a ship? No. I use the pronoun 'she' for a different reason. If you discover what that reason is, the puzzle will be halfway solved.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4678
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah I was trying to be clever and Grecian was a reference to 'Ode to a Grecian Urn'. The word urn is always found in mourning.

Could you swap mourning for 'sad'? does the object have a sad face shape? Is 'she' black in colour?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 608
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah I was trying to be clever and Grecian was a reference to 'Ode to a Grecian Urn'. The word urn is always found in mourning. Groooaan! :>

Could you swap mourning for 'sad'? Yessish does the object have a sad face shape?No; n.a. Is 'she' black in colour?No - more what the Victorians would have described as 'half mourning.'
No, I'm not old enough to actually remember Queen Victoria's reign!
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: 'She' may be on the rocks.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "she" a certain type of beverage?
If yes, can the name of this beverage imply that the beverage itself is mourning?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is "she" a certain type of beverage? Yes!
If yes, can the name of this beverage imply that the beverage itself is mourning? No, the name does not imply that.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does bethe drink contain alcohol?
Is there anything about the appearance of the drink that implies mourning?
Is there anything about the name of the drink that implies that the drink is a "she"?
By "mourning" do you mean that the drink is becoming less favourable as time passes?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 612
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does bethe drink contain alcohol? Yes
Is there anything about the appearance of the drink that implies mourning? Yes, see title.
Is there anything about the name of the drink that implies that the drink is a "she"? YES
By "mourning" do you mean that the drink is becoming less favourable as time passes?No
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 6198
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "she" a Bloody Mary?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it necessary to punify (<- sorry spur of the moment neologism) to infer that the drink is a she?
Or is a direct reference (as in Kaylee's contribution)
Does the name of the drink directly imply mourning? Or does the color of the drink imply mourning?
Is the drink black in color?
Is it a coffee drink? A black Russian?

Kaylee, do you have a Bloody Mary recipe? I haven't made them in a while. I do have a secret ingredient, or at least I thought it was my invention, until I met up with a bartender who used the same ingredient. GMTA.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "she" a Bloody Mary? No, but explore!

Is it necessary to punify (<- sorry spur of the moment neologism) to infer that the drink is a she? No, see above & below.
Or is a direct reference (as in Kaylee's contribution) Yes!
Does the name of the drink directly imply mourning? No. Or does the color of the drink imply mourning? Yessish, 'half-mourning."
Is the drink black in color? No
Is it a coffee drink? A black Russian? No; there is no mention of a color in the name of the drink.
Hint: the "mourning" is not "her" natural color.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a drink that can change color over time?
Are there two ingredients in this drink? three? more?

History involved?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a drink that can change color over time? No, not in its normal state.
Are there two ingredients in this drink? three? more? I dunno, not being a mixologist (bartender). I would say at least 3, plus one more, in this case.

History involved? No.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the additional ingredient optional? Is it not a usual ingredient for this particular drink? Does it change the color of the drink? Is the drink a Margarita? A blue one? (I'm thinking blue Curaco instead of triple sec, or in addition)
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And if I'm right, then I tell you that blended is the way to go for me. It's a lot of fun to get the proportions right in the blender. You need one with fairly new and sharp blades though, or you'll get chunks of ice
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the additional ingredient optional? Is it not a usual ingredient for this particular drink? Does it change the color of the drink? Yes to all of these. Is the drink a Margarita? Yes! A blue one? See below.

****************SPOILER************
A friend and I went to lunch at a local restaurant. We ordered Margaritas, a sort of specialty of the house. When they came, my friend asked 'Why are our Margaritas purple?' They were -hers a dark, royal purple, mine more lavender. We were told that the owner of this local restaurant chain had died a few months ago. To mark his passing, they put their Margaritas into mourning, with food coloring. She got a drop or two more than I did.

This calls for a celebration, Beachbum. Cheers!
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, cheers!

Oh wow, so cool but yet so sad and touching!
And once summer comes along I might make up a batch.

I'm really in to Mexican food and Tequila.
I find Hornitos Repesado is a great compromise between the cheap stuff and the way overpriced top of the line brands.

What is the chain, out of curiosity?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blackbeard's, but you will have to come to South Texas to sample it - it a small, local chain. Great seafood, among other things. They even have shrimp tacos, which I've never tried. Just seems to me they don't go together.

One of the advantages of living here is that it is pretty warm all year, so you don't have to wait for summer for margaritas, iced coffee (another of my faves), ice tea. A true Texan, however, will drink ice tea in the middle of a blizzard!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: