[Lynne] Poor man, rich man Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2013 » [Lynne] Poor man, rich man « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5370
Posted on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man's will reveals how he became fabulously rich in such a short time.

Another 19th century tale that's beggars belief.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is to find? Who was the man? What the will contains? Why it was revealed only in the will and not before? Some other thing?

man = H? A? M?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5381
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is to find? how a poor man became rich overnight Who was the man? no What the will contains? it reveals the secret of his wealth Why it was revealed only in the will and not before? it is not surprising that he kept it quiet until after his death Some other thing? no - but however you think he became rich, I'm pretty sure you won't expect the twist

man = H? A? M? yes
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4721
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he specifically state how he acquired his wealth or does he leave clues? do we need to establish who benefited from the will? did the man have a guilty secret? did he gain his wealth by honest means?

Did he leave his money to someone unexpected ? had he a child that nobody knew about?

I take it the fact of his wealth was not a secret only how he achieved it.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5386
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he specifically state how he acquired his wealth yes or does he leave clues? no do we need to establish who benefited from the will? no did the man have a guilty secret?yes did he gain his wealth by honest means? no

Did he leave his money to someone unexpected ? no had he a child that nobody knew about? no

I take it the fact of his wealth was not a secret only how he achieved it. correct
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the specific kind of wealth relevant? If so, was it money? immovables? jewels? precious stones?

Did he acquire his wealth basically by: stealing? Human traficking? Drug dealing? Arms trafficking?

Did he make use of somebody's bad situation?

Did he damage any people in the process of becoming rich? If so, is the number relevant?

Did he live in (LTPF list of centuries(?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5389
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the specific kind of wealth relevant? yes If so, was it money? he turned his precious stone into money immovables? jewels? precious stones? this

Did he acquire his wealth basically by: stealing? yes Human traficking? Drug dealing? Arms trafficking?

Did he make use of somebody's bad situation? no

Did he damage any people in the process of becoming rich? no If so, is the number relevant?

Did he live in (LTPF list of centuries(? 19th
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the precious stone famous? Did he sell the precious stone? Did he steal the precious stone from someone famous?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5392
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the precious stone famous? no Did he sell the precious stone? yes Did he steal the precious stone from someone famous? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his occupation afford him the opportunity to steal the stones? Are they diamonds?

Did he steal them from an individual? is the individual aware that they have been stolen i.e. did he replace them with worthless stones?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry some more....

Was it a huge surprise to his family that he had stolen something? Was he in law enforcement?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5396
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his occupation afford him the opportunity to steal the stones? yes Are they diamonds? one diamond

Did he steal them from an individual? no is the individual aware that they have been stolen i.e. did he replace them with worthless stones? no

Was it a huge surprise to his family that he had stolen something? not known and not really relevant Was he in law enforcement? no
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4061
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he a diamond miner? did he work for a diamond merchant? a jewellery store?

was he a beefeater?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5401
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he a diamond miner? YES did he work for a diamond merchant? a jewellery store?

was he a beefeater? curious to know their connection to diamonds!
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4064
Posted on Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stealing the crown jewels!

was there a particular reason why he revealed that he'd stolen a diamond in his will?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5404
Posted on Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there a particular reason why he revealed that he'd stolen a diamond in his will? this isn't told in the story, but my guess is that he was pretty proud of the way that he got away with it. It was certainly different.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18553
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cut vs uncut diamonds relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5405
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cut vs uncut diamonds relevant? it was uncut and that is quite relevant
Chanman876 (Chanman876)
Username: Chanman876

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we close?

Did he take the diamonds from another miner? Did he take credit for finding them?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5413
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we close? nope!

Did he take the diamonds from another miner? no Did he take credit for finding them? only in the way a thief does, no shenanigans business wise, and remember it was only one diamond, but a large one I guess

And welcome to the forum Chanman!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4729
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he removed a large diamond from the mine without anybody noticing? I guess we have to ascertain some ingenious method he employed to smuggle the diamond out of the mine? Did he hide it on his person? did he have someone else take it out without their knowledge and he subsequently recovered it?

Were mine workers routinely searched? weighed? when they went home each day?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5415
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he removed a large diamond from the mine without anybody noticing? yes I guess we have to ascertain some ingenious method he employed to smuggle the diamond out of the mine? yes Did he hide it on his person? yes did he have someone else take it out without their knowledge and he subsequently recovered it? no

Were mine workers routinely searched? probably which is why he was particularly clever weighed? I doubt that they had precise enough scales to measure one diamond on a man, bearing in mind that weight fluctuates during the day anyway. when they went home each day? presumably, which is why he was particularly crafty
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he swallow the diamond?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5417
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he swallow the diamond? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4732
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To steal the diamond did he use an alternative way of leaving the mine?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he conceal the diamond as his tooth? Did he wear the diamond clearly visible, pretending it was something else, of no value?
Did he leave the mine on feet?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5421
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To steal the diamond did he use an alternative way of leaving the mine? he left by the usual exit if that's what you mean

Did he conceal the diamond as his tooth? no Did he wear the diamond clearly visible, pretending it was something else, of no value? no
Did he leave the mine on feet? I'm thinking that he did

You're on the right track though
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4737
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the search procedure have required him to remove any clothing? shoes & socks?

As it was uncut I take it that the diamond was dull and not sparkling? relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5426
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the search procedure have required him to remove any clothing? shoes & socks? the account doesn't say so, but I guess that would be the normal procedure

As it was uncut I take it that the diamond was dull and not sparkling? relevant? not particularly
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he pretend to be someone else? Did he pretend to be dead? Ill?
Did he avoid the search procedure by whatever he did? Was he subjected to a normal search procedure but managed to conceal the diamond?
Did he smuggle the diamond inside his body? Did he injure himself in order to smuggle the diamond?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he pretend to be someone else? no Did he pretend to be dead? no Ill? yope, see below
Did he avoid the search procedure by whatever he did? yes Was he subjected to a normal search procedure but managed to conceal the diamond? if that was in fact the case (the account doesn't say),then yes
Did he smuggle the diamond inside his body? yes Did he injure himself in order to smuggle the diamond? YES well done! Any guess as to what he actually did?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he pretend he was injured while working? Did he hide the diamond in the injured place?
Was the injure irreversible?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5429
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he pretend he was injured while working? yes Did he hide the diamond in the injured place? yes indeed!
Was the injure irreversible? yes

Enough to declare a

*********** SPOILER *************

The man admitted in his will that he'd found a very valuable diamond whilst working as a diamond miner in Asia. He cut a deep gash into his leg and inserted the diamond. The wound naturally got infected and he got lame, so he was able to leave the mine unsuspected. He retrieved the diamond and the wound healed up. He travelled to Amsterdam and sold it for $80,000 and lived in riches on his investments from that time on. He obviously didn't want to make it public while he was alive, but couldn't resist telling all after he was beyond the reach of the law.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5430
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just read that the diamond is now one of the crown diamonds of Russia.

Well, that was before the Revolution of 1917, so goodness knows where it is now.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4740
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very clever .

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: