[Lynne] Life after death Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2013 » [Lynne] Life after death « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5371
Posted on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His theft saved her life

The nineteenth century was full of these curiosities!
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He: HAM? She: HAF?

Did he steal something of value?

Was she to be executed? die of an illness? murdered? die in an accident?

Any other people involved?

Anyone famous?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5382
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He: HAM? yes She: HAF? yes

Did he steal something of value? yes

Was she to be executed?no die of an illness? this one murdered? die in an accident?

Any other people involved? a few peripheral people

Anyone famous? she was at the time, but n/r to the puzzle
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4722
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are you getting all of these from Lynne, they're very interesting.

Did the theft enable her to be cured or did it prevent her falling ill? was the illness contagious? Was the effect of the theft immediate or do we have to establish a series of subsequent events?

Was she the victim of the theft? the beneficiary (other than for health reasons)? Was his intention to cure her?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5388
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are you getting all of these from Lynne, they're very interesting. I proofread for Project Gutenberg. The last puzzle is from a book that is still in the process of being proofread. The latest three are all from a book that I downloaded. I'll tell you the title later!

Did the theft enable her to be cured or did it prevent her falling ill? no was the illness contagious? yes, but n/r Was the effect of the theft immediate it appears so, although it may have taken a little while or do we have to establish a series of subsequent events? no

Was she the victim of the theft? yes the beneficiary (other than for health reasons)? no Was his intention to cure her? absolutely not
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she already ill? Or at risk of becoming ill?

Was the stolen object infected? poisoned?

Did the thief get the illness?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5390
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she already ill? yes Or at risk of becoming ill?

Was the stolen object infected? poisoned? no, no

Did the thief get the illness? no
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the stolen object the source of illness? Did she replace the stolen object with something relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5393
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the stolen object the source of illness? Did she replace the stolen object with something relevant? no to both
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4063
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he caught? do we need to identify the object he stole?

clothing? jewellery? land? money? papers?

was it known that she was ill?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5402
Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he caught? no do we need to identify the object he stole? yessish, not too relevant, but see below

clothing? jewellery? this one, a ring to be precise land? money? papers?

was it known that she was ill? yope
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18556
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the metal the ring was made of relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5406
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the metal the ring was made of relevant? no, in fact no further details of the ring itself are relevant
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she know she was ill? did the thief? did other people?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5412
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she know she was ill? possibly did the thief? no did other people? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4730
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she wear the ring habitually before it was stolen?

Did the theft of the ring make a diagnosis of her condition more likely? Any relevant scientific development?

just wanted to clarify your answer an earlier question of mine...

Did the theft enable her to be cured or did it prevent her falling ill? no

I just wanted to make sure that your no was to both scenarios.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5416
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she wear the ring habitually before it was stolen? not known, n/r

Did the theft of the ring make a diagnosis of her condition more likely? no Any relevant scientific development? no

just wanted to clarify your answer an earlier question of mine...

Did the theft enable her to be cured or did it prevent her falling ill? no to both although thinking about it I suppose it did 'enable' her to be cured - but could mislead!

I just wanted to make sure that your no was to both scenarios. done
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the ring belong to her? Did he steal it from her?

Was the ring used to pay for her treatment?

Did they know each other? Live in the same period?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the ring belong to her? yes Did he steal it from her? in all probability he changed his mind, but he certainly intended to

Was the ring used to pay for her treatment? no

Did they know each other? no Live in the same period? yes
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she discover the theft? If yes, is it relevant when? Was there a copy placed instead of the original ring? Did she invite someone relevant after having discovered the theft? Did she have to go somewhere because of the theft?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4734
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies if this sounds like a mad question but I'm working on a theory...

Was the woman believed to be dead? Did he rob her grave? Had she been buried alive?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5422
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she discover the theft? if it actually took place, then she knew about it If yes, is it relevant when? yes Was there a copy placed instead of the original ring? no Did she invite someone relevant after having discovered the theft? no Did she have to go somewhere because of the theft? no

Apologies if this sounds like a mad question but I'm working on a theory... not at all, this is the LTPF after all because...

Was the woman believed to be dead? YES Did he rob her grave? YES Had she been buried alive? YES

Ding ding! We have a winner!

************ SPOILER ***************

The woman was believed to have died from the Plague and had been buried with a valuable ring. This was too much temptation for the grave digger so he crept back at night to steal the ring. She revived, went on to recover and ended up having three children after all of this. The account doesn't say whether she married the gravedigger. I'm presuming she stayed with her husband

Well done Peter!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4736
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol , in the words of the Hannibal Smith 'I love it when a plan comes together'.

Actually given that you put a huge clue in the puzzle title we maybe should have gotten there sooner.

Nice job Lynne, now to sort out that hanging and the diamond thief.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5424
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know, I never thought of that as a clue! Duh!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4738
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was only after I posted my questions that i noticed the puzzle title. It actually made me think that I was on the wrong track.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: