[Nimue} Deadly Reading Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2013 » [Nimue} Deadly Reading « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 9252
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not an especially morbid person (I think), and there's no famous person whose death I'm either dreading or eagerly awaiting, but I always read the obituary section in the newspaper. How come?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you read it because of an interest of yours?
Are you looking for something in particular? Would you read the obituaries of any newspaper you were reading, or just a particular paper?
Are the names of the people who have died relevant? The style in which obituaries are written? Photos? Something about the people who have died?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9254
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2698

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 8:57 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Do you read it because of an interest of yours? yes
Are you looking for something in particular? yes Would you read the obituaries of any newspaper you were reading no, or just a particular paper?not just one paper, but papers with a particular characteristic
Are the names of the people who have died relevant? no The style in which obituaries are written? noPhotos? noSomething about the people who have died? yes
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the obituaries of well-known people? Of ordinary, not well-known people? Are any of the following relevant: The age of the dead people? Their gender? How they died? Their families? Their life story? The writer of the obituary? Where they lived? How they are described? Do you collect statistics on a certain aspect of the obituaries?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9256
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2701

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 9:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are the obituaries of well-known people? yes Of ordinary, not well-known people? no Are any of the following relevant: The age of the dead people? noishTheir gender? no How they died? noTheir families? noTheir life story? yope The writer of the obituary? no Where they lived? no How they are described? yesish or yope Do you collect statistics on a certain aspect of the obituaries? no
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking for things to add to your bucket list? Trying to get ideas for a good opening line? i.e. "Don't tell anyone. I've been secretly peeing in the sink for the last 20 years."

Ok, you might not be morbid, but I sure am...
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9263
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 1780

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 10:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Looking for things to add to your bucket list? noTrying to get ideas for a good opening line? i.e. "Don't tell anyone. I've been secretly peeing in the sink for the last 20 years." no. That's a good opening line? It wouldn't prompt me to read further!!
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"papers with a particular characteristic" - Is their political orientation relevant? Is the political orientation of the deceased person relevant?

Do you compare obituaries of the same person in different newspapers?

Are you looking for the usage of a particular phrase or word?
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are any of these relevant to why you read the obituaries: how they died? how old they were when they died? where they died? who they left behind? how they are described in terms of family? how they are described in terms of their occupation? how long the obituaries are? whether there is a picture? whether there is anything negative said about them?

the people you are interested in: academics? scientists? actors? politicians? people that you have known personally?

the thing you look for - is it something that you find everytime? some aspect that they all have? or are you looking for something unusual? something that you have never yet found?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4086
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the particular characteristic of the papers the geographical location they cover?

are they academic journals?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9267
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3740

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 11:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
"papers with a particular characteristic" - Is their political orientation relevant? noIs the political orientation of the deceased person relevant? no

Do you compare obituaries of the same person in different newspapers? no

Are you looking for the usage of a particular phrase or word? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1292

Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:54 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
are any of these relevant to why you read the obituaries: how they died? no how old they were when they died? yesishwhere they died? nowho they left behind? no how they are described in terms of family? no how they are described in terms of their occupation? yes how long the obituaries are? whether there is a picture? no whether there is anything negative said about them? no

the people you are interested in: academics?no scientists? noactors? nopoliticians? nopeople that you have known personally? no

the thing you look for - is it something that you find everytime? no some aspect that they all have? noor are you looking for something unusual? yes something that you have never yet found? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4086

Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is the particular characteristic of the papers the geographical location they cover? no

are they academic journals? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are you looking for people who were extremely old when they died? or relatively young?
are you looking for a link between occupation and age of death? are you looking for evidence for a theory you have? are you looking for examples of people oin a particular occupational group? who died at a particular age? are you interested in when they retired? if they retired? are you looking for people who kept working to an extremely old age?
Olive80 (Olive80)
Username: Olive80

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So referencing to the "papers with a particular characteristic" you described before, does that "characteristic" have to do with how their occupation is described, or can you easily see the "characteristic" without even having to flip to the obituary section? Relevant?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you trying to track some kind of trend? Like at what point in history a certain job became common? Is it actually relevant that the people in obituaries have died? Is it of interest to you more as a collection of information on a large number of people who lived at the same time?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9268
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1293

Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
are you looking for people who were extremely old when they died? noor relatively young? no
are you looking for a link between occupation and age of death? no are you looking for evidence for a theory you have? no are you looking for examples of people oin a particular occupational group? yesish who died at a particular age? noare you interested in when they retired? noif they retired? are you looking for people who kept working to an extremely old age? no
Olive80 (Olive80)

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
So referencing to the "papers with a particular characteristic" you described before, does that "characteristic" have to do with how their occupation is described yes, or can you easily see the "characteristic" without even having to flip to the obituary section? Relevant? yes
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2703

Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 8:44 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are you trying to track some kind of trend? no Like at what point in history a certain job became common? noIs it actually relevant that the people in obituaries have died? no..GOOOOOD QUESTION!!Is it of interest to you more as a collection of information on a large number of people who lived at the same time? no
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me, I look at the obit page to see if I'm on it. If not, I get up & have my coffee.

Are you looking for names? (Is that where you get the names for your puzzles? (Long shot, I know.)). For degrees? BA, MA,PhD, etc? M.D.?

Is it relevant that they lived in the same area as you? or do you look at out-of-town papers too? e.g. the NY Times?
Olive80 (Olive80)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you look for people similar to you in any way? like same occupation?
Olive80 (Olive80)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To add on: Do the deceased's occupations give you any "ideas" that you wouldn't have gotten without reading the obits?
Do you write obituaries? (sorry if that was far-fetched..just asking)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9273
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 652

Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 12:24 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Me, I look at the obit page to see if I'm on it. If not, I get up & have my coffee. And what if you are??

Are you looking for names? no(Is that where you get the names for your puzzles? no (Long shot, I know.)). For degrees? BA, MA,PhD, etc? no M.D.? no

Is it relevant that they lived in the same area as you? noor do you look at out-of-town papers too? seenext answer e.g. the NY Times? That's the main place where I look
Olive80 (Olive80)

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 7:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Do you look for people similar to you in any way? yopelike same occupation? yope
Olive80 (Olive80)

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 7:28 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
To add on: Do the deceased's occupations give you any "ideas" that you wouldn't have gotten without reading the obits? yes
Do you write obituaries? (sorry if that was far-fetched..just asking) no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking for unusual or interesting occupations? Is the reason you read the obituaries connected to your being a writer?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9276
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2712

Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 8:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are you looking for unusual or interesting occupations? no Is the reason you read the obituaries connected to your being a writer? no but you're ORT
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I'm in it, I figure I need more rest!
Actually, my husband has found his name in the obituaries on more than one occasion, but he has very common names, both first and last.

So you are looking for prominent/ famous/ well-known persons, yes? no?
Does this have anything to do with the writing of "weightless verse?"
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you look at the obituaries of only certain kinds of well-known people, such as politicians? Or anyone well-known?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or the wealthy?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9278
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 653

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 3:28 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
If I'm in it, I figure I need more rest!
Actually, my husband has found his name in the obituaries on more than one occasion, but he has very common names, both first and last.

So you are looking for prominent/ famous/ well-known persons, yes? yesish no?
Does this have anything to do with the writing of "weightless verse?" no
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1207

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 9:36 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Do you look at the obituaries of only certain kinds of well-known peopleyes, such as politicians that's not it? Or anyone well-known? no
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 654

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 2:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Or the wealthy? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9279
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: I bet many of you will want to read obituaries for this reason, too!
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you do something relevant with the information you get from the obituaries? Do you talk about the people who have died? Do further research into them?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9285
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

njay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2717

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 8:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Do you do something relevant with the information you get from the obituaries? yes Do you talk about the people who have died?\b rarely but it's irrel} Do further research into them?yope or maybe yesish
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific part of the obituary relevant? Such as surviving family? location of the service?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the obituaries you are concerned with those of actors or others in "show business," however loosely defined?
Sports figures?
Or - taking an entirely different track - people close to your own age?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9287
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1211

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 4:10 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is a specific part of the obituary relevant? yesSuch as surviving family? that isn't itlocation of the service? neither is that
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 663

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 6:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are the obituaries you are concerned with those of actors or others in "show business," however loosely defined? no
Sports figures? no
Or - taking an entirely different track - people close to your own age? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it where they lived? where they died?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9289
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 4096

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 9:47 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is it where they lived? no where they died? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9290
Posted on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT:A particular & very common interest of mine is involved.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Politics? food? ethnicity (however defined)? literature? poetry?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9291
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Solo1 (Solo1)

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 3:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Politics? no food? no ethnicity (however defined)? no--I actually have no interest in ethnicity, except as a topic for lateral puzzles literature? yes poetry? no
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your interest statistical, e.g. life spans of novelists as compared to short story writers?
Is it simple curiosity? as in "OMG, I thought he was dead years ago?"
are you looking for authors of a certain era or genre?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9292
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 6:03 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Posted on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Solo1 (Solo1)

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 3:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Politics? no food? no ethnicity (however defined)? no--I actually have no interest in ethnicity, except as a topic for lateral puzzles literature? yes poetry? no
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 666

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is your interest statistical, e.g. life spans of novelists as compared to short story writers? no
Is it simple curiosity? no as in "OMG, I thought he was dead years ago?" no
are you looking for authors of a certain era no or genre yes?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you look for the obituaries of literary figures? Of writers?

Is the relevant genre poetry? Drama? A type of fiction? Non-fiction? Philosophy relevant? Academia?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9293
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2722

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 6:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Do you look for the obituaries of literary figures? see next answer Of writers? yes

Is the relevant genre poetry? No, but that would work, tooDrama? ditto A type of fiction? yes Non-fiction? noPhilosophy relevant? no Academia? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific genre within fiction relevant? Fantasy? Sci-fi? Historical? Romance? Crime? Thriller? Horror? Action/adventure? Could you get the same result by looking up an author's wikipedia entry, say? Do you want to see something specific about the obituary, such as what information it chooses to include or what language it uses?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9294
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

njay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2723

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 9:22 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is a specific genre within fiction relevant? no Fantasy? Sci-fi? Historical? Romance? Crime? Thriller? Horror? Action/adventure? Could you get the same result by looking up an author's wikipedia entry, say? noishDo you want to see something specific about the obituary, such as what information it chooses to include or what language it uses? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant whether you have heard of the writers prior to reading their obituary? Do you want to get ideas of new authors to check out? Do the obituaries list their works, giving you ideas of what to read?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9295
Posted on Friday, July 05, 2013 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2724

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 11:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it relevant whether you have heard of the writers prior to reading their obituary? yesDo you want to get ideas of new authors to check out? yesDo the obituaries list their works, giving you ideas of what to read? often

********** SPOILER **************
I thought this puzzle would be much easier than it was, since I regularly read obituaries in The NY Times in order to find out about fiction writers I hadn't head of previously. Then I check out their work. Please check out my new puzzle!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: