[Nimue] Bad food advice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2013 » [Nimue] Bad food advice « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 9347
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A certain piece of advice about food is common to the point of cliche. But I have found it to be very bad advice. It's not health advice; health is irrel. What is it??
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve a particular type of food, e.g. sweets? greens? meat? etc, etc.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9349
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 692

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 2:54 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does it involve a particular type of food yesish, e.g. sweets? greens? meat? This is not the relevant list of typesetc, etc.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the advice related to when to buy it? where to buy it? how to store it? how to prepare it? how to eat it? when to eat it?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9350
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3832

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 6:39 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the advice related to when to buy it?no where to buy it? yesishhow to store it? no how to prepare it? noish how to eat it? yope or noishwhen to eat it? no
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4109
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it to do with a particular cuisine? Indian? Italian? Japanese? Chinese?

is it do do with hot food? cold food? frozen food? take-away food? ready meals? processed food?

is it to do with sell-by dates?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9352
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4109

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:35 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is it to do with a particular cuisine? Indian? Italian? Japanese? Chinese? ALL of these -- & more!!

is it do do with hot food? not specifically cold food? ditto frozen food? this may be relevantish take-away food? irrelready meals?no processed food? this may be relevant

is it to do with sell-by dates? no
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9357
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: As the previous responses suggest, foreign cuisine is involved. That could include American food if you;'re Japanese & Japanese food if you're American, etc.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it to do with eating foreign food in the country of origin? Or in a location suited to that kind of food (eg you should eat Chinese food in Chinatown?) To do with the fact that foreign food in a given country is likely to be different in certain ways to that food as eaten in its country of origin?

Is it to do with how to judge the quality of foreign food? How to find good foreign food? Is it that you should pick a restaurant which is popular among people of the relevant nationality?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9359
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2749

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 7:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it to do with eating foreign food in the country of origin? yes Or in a location suited to that kind of food (eg you should eat Chinese food in Chinatown?) yes To do with the fact that foreign food in a given country is likely to be different in certain ways to that food as eaten in its country of origin? yes

Is it to do with how to judge the quality of foreign food? yesHow to find good foreign food? yesIs it that you should pick a restaurant which is popular among people of the relevant nationality? yes

********* SPOILER ************

It's a truism that, if you're eating foreign food, you should go to a restaurant that is frequented by the natives. But why? Why suppose your tastes will be like theirs? After all, they are probably accustomed to a different kind of food from what you're accustomed to. I suppose there's some underlying pc idea that you're supposed to pursue "authenticity," but I'd rather pursue happiness. When I was in Korea, I preferred American candy bars to authentic Korean sweets, which weren't sweet enough for me. I liked Koren appetizers & main dishes, though. Was this puzzle too easy for you? Check out my new one!!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"But why? Why suppose your tastes will be like theirs?" - I think the idea is to empirically check whether your tastes are like theirs. I know that I like 'real' Indian cuisine better than what is passed off as Indian food in most restaurants here, but only because I follwed the recommendation of an Indian acquaintance =)
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny (at least to me) story: Where I work, we had a group of Chinese potential customers visiting.
Guess where management ordered lunch for them? Yup, a USA order-by-numbers Chinese takeout restaurant!
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9378
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love it!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: