{KayleeTonksLupin} Maybe I'm brainles... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2013 » {KayleeTonksLupin} Maybe I'm brainless, maybe I'm wise... « Previous Next »

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 6216
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love them so much - but if anything ever happens to them in the next five years, I'd be a terrible person for him to go to. However, after that, it might be ok.
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Them1 = them2? Is "him" a member of either "them"?

Does this situation have anything to do with death? wills? custody of a child? or animal?

Them1 = human adults? does gender matter?
Them2 = ditto
Him = HAM? animal? child?

"...it might be ok" because of a change in your socioeconomic status? location? age?

Post Number: 6217
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Them1 = them2? them1 = them2 + him Is "him" a member of either "them"? yes, them1

Does this situation have anything to do with death? yes, or at least permanent incapacitation wills? maybe custody of a child? yes or animal? no

Them1 = human adults? adults except 'him' does gender matter? no
Them2 = ditto H/A/Mixed
Him = HAM? animal? child? H/newborn/male

"...it might be ok" because of a change in your socioeconomic status? location? age? possibly to any and all, but also something else
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that five years from now, he would potentially be starting school?

Post Number: 6218
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that five years from now, he would potentially be starting school?
This is an important part of it, yes
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it anything to do with you being - ahem! - incapacitated from time to time?

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it anything to do with you being - ahem! - incapacitated from time to time?
You mean my seizures? Partially, yes - good point, Shez!
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know "them" personally? are they relatives of yours? friends?

Are "they1" the newborn and his parents?

Post Number: 6221
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know "them" personally? yes are they relatives of yours? by informal 'adoption', yes friends? this

Are "they1" the newborn and his parents? yes, and anyone else in the extended family who would be trusted to take care of him before they'd end up turning to me, lol.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mother our mutual friend that just had a baby yesterday? Do you mean that if the parents were unable to care for the child for whatever reason, you wouldn't be much help in the next five years but perhaps afterward?

Would it be OK after that because something about the baby would change? Or because something about you would change? Would something else change?

Post Number: 6222
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mother our mutual friend that just had a baby yesterday? yes, our one and only Leenie-kitteh =) Do you mean that if the parents were unable to care for the child for whatever reason, you wouldn't be much help in the next five years but perhaps afterward? yes

Would it be OK after that because something about the baby would change? well, for one thing the baby would most definitely no longer be a baby =) Or because something about you would change? perhaps Would something else change? it might - who can tell?

Post Number: 6223
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mother our mutual friend that just had a baby yesterday? yes, our one and only Leenie-kitteh =) Do you mean that if the parents were unable to care for the child for whatever reason, you wouldn't be much help in the next five years but perhaps afterward? yes

Would it be OK after that because something about the baby would change? well, for one thing the baby would most definitely no longer be a baby =) Or because something about you would change? perhaps Would something else change? it might - who can tell?

Post Number: 6224
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The title is actually somewhat relevant, though maybe not in the most obvious way.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If "something happened" in five years and by that time Leenie had a second child, perhaps a year old, would you be able to help the second child?

Is your job relevant? marital status? living arrangements?

Should we focus on why you would be "terrible" now?

Post Number: 6225
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If "something happened" in five years and by that time Leenie had a second child, perhaps a year old, would you be able to help the second child? no

Is your job relevant? marital status? living arrangements? yes, yes, and yes

Should we focus on why you would be "terrible" now? yes
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be terrible because...

...you'd have less money?
...you wouldn't be able to work?
...you'd have to find childcare/stay at home?
...something to do with taxes?
...someone you live with wouldn't be happy about it?
...your home is not babyproofed?
...you lack a particular parenting skill?
...diapers smell bad?
...you are unable to be up in the middle of the night for feedings?
...something about the baby might trigger a seizure?
...babies can't eat cheeseburgers?

Post Number: 6226
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be terrible because...

...you'd have less money? maybe
...you wouldn't be able to work? maybe
...you'd have to find childcare/stay at home? maybe
...something to do with taxes? I don't know o.O
...someone you live with wouldn't be happy about it? partly this
...your home is not babyproofed? and this
...you lack a particular parenting skill? and this
...diapers smell bad? and this
...you are unable to be up in the middle of the night for feedings? and this
...something about the baby might trigger a seizure? and maybe this
...babies can't eat cheeseburgers? this is a sad state of affairs =( but not technically relevant
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In five years, though, it wouldn't be terrible because...

...you expect to have more money?
...you'll be able to work while the child is in school?
...the child being in school would relieve you of childcare duties/ finding a daycare?
...your living arrangements will change?
...there would be no need for babyproofing?
...the child (hopefully) will be potty-trained?
...no middle of the night feedings?
...older children are less likely to trigger seizures?

Post Number: 6227
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...you expect to have more money? perhaps
...you'll be able to work while the child is in school? work and school is relevant...
...the child being in school would relieve you of childcare duties/ finding a daycare? no, but...
...your living arrangements will change? this isn't likely
...there would be no need for babyproofing? this
...the child (hopefully) will be potty-trained? this
...no middle of the night feedings? this
...older children are less likely to trigger seizures? this may be, hopefully

focus on the work and school aspects
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you expect your current job to change in the next five years? Relevant?
Any of the following relevant?
-length of work day
-length of school day
-school year
-breaks (summer break, winter break, etc.)
-paycheck
-location of work
-location of school

Post Number: 6228
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you expect your current job to change in the next five years? Relevant? my only job right now is working for Cutco, so let's assume I'm still 'working from home' basically. That would leave me free to...
Any of the following relevant?
-length of work day yes
-length of school day yes
-school year yes
-breaks (summer break, winter break, etc.) unsure
-paycheck not relevant
-location of work yes, very
-location of school even more relevant
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Home school? Public school Private school? Something else? Relevant?

My understanding is that having a flexible, work-from-home job allows you to care for the child around his school schedule. Is this correct? Am I missing something else relevant about this aspect of the puzzle?

Post Number: 6229
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Home school? this, a particular homeschool program Public school Private school? Something else? Relevant?

My understanding is that having a flexible, work-from-home job allows you to care for the child around his school schedule. Is this correct? Am I missing something else relevant about this aspect of the puzzle? you've got that aspect pretty well figured out =) although, I'd be more involved with his school than that...
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would homeschool the child when he was old enough, correct?

Is this program available through your work? through your mom's job? Should I know about this program without Google's help?

Post Number: 6230
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would homeschool the child when he was old enough, correct? Kindergarten is old enough, so correct

Is this program available through your work? through your mom's job? it's an independent "school" 'available' through neither, it's advertised a lot Should I know about this program without Google's help? you may or may not, I'm unsure whether it's branched into Texas - hang on - ah, it does have a Houston branch, at least.

Post Number: 6231
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(that said, the Houston branch only provides grades 3-12, and not K-2)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Advertised"... on television?

Post Number: 6232
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Advertised"... on television?
Yes - at least here, I'm not sure about Texas. I've also seen ads here and there online.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I just lost my usefulness. I don't have television and can't seem to recall any online homeschool ads.

Post Number: 6233
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP/REFOCUS:

"I love them so much - but if anything ever happens to them in the next five years, I'd be a terrible person for him to go to. However, after that, it might be ok."

I love my friend Colleen and her family a lot, but if anything happened to them in the next five years, I'd be a terrible person for Colleen's newborn son, Keenan Blair, to go to. However, after he turned five, it might be ok.

We've established that aspects of taking care of infants/toddlers are too difficult for me, but that looking after a school age child would be more doable. My working from home is relevant, and the fact that I work for Cutco now may or may not be the same in five years (i.e. I still expect to work from home in some capacity, possibly alongside Cutco).
I would be able to assist in homeschooling Keenan Blair through a particular homeschooling program. It's advertised on TV at least in California (but is available in certain locations throughout the USA and internationally), and there's also ads online.

There's still a couple last questions out there waiting to be asked...
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything relevant about the homeschool programme?

I know nothing about homeschooling since we don't have that here in Germany...
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there some sort of "school your child while working from home" aspect to this homeschool program? As in something like using what you're doing on the job to teach the child math/vocabulary/etc.?

Do you think homeschooling KB would take up less of your time than taking care of a toddler? possibly because of the particulars of this specific homeschool program?

Dori, in the US, homeschooling often (though definitely not always) seems to be carried out by parents for religious reasons. Sometimes there is a question of the merits of the public school system in the area, or the parents object to something or several things that the school system teaches, and sometimes it is simply a matter of the parents wanting to be responsible for the intellectual development of their own children, for instance, if one of the parents is a teacher in his/her own right.

I don't know *much* about homeschooling, but I believe that the state (or possibly just district?) has to approve the program being used, so as to make sure it is rigorous and meets state requirements so the kids don't lose out on anything by not being in the public school (Kaylee is talking about a pre-approved program, it seems, but some parents make up their own curricula). The kids have to pass standardized tests or otherwise prove that they're keeping up with their public school peers as well. There are usually homeschool associations within general regions where the parents and kids can associate with each other, the kids to get together and socialize, the parents to discuss homeschooling, ask advice, etc.

Now whether any of that is relevant or not, I have no idea :-)

Post Number: 6234
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything relevant about the homeschool programme? yes, a lot =)

I know nothing about homeschooling since we don't have that here in Germany...o rly? I did nawt knoez! well, Kalira kitteh haz explainz it gud, Doriana kitteh =)

Is there some sort of "school your child while working from home" aspect to this homeschool program? Yes-ish - your child has a teacher in the program, but the parent/guardian/approved person's help is essential to the program especially in the K-5 grades As in something like using what you're doing on the job to teach the child math/vocabulary/etc.? But not like this, if I understand you.

Do you think homeschooling KB would take up less of your time than taking care of a toddler? Yes - or at least the time would be more fun and less stress for us both =)possibly because of the particulars of this specific homeschool program? Yes!

Dori, in the US, homeschooling often (though definitely not always) seems to be carried out by parents for religious reasons.this wouldn't be my reasoning Sometimes there is a question of the merits of the public school system in the area, somewhat relevant or the parents object to something or several things that the school system teaches, also somewhat relevant and sometimes it is simply a matter of the parents wanting to be responsible for the intellectual development of their own children, a lot more relevant for instance, if one of the parents is a teacher in his/her own right. I wouldn't be the teacher, but I would be the 'learning coach'

I don't know *much* about homeschooling, but I believe that the state (or possibly just district?) not sure, perhaps just district has to approve the program being used, so as to make sure it is rigorous and meets state requirements so the kids don't lose out on anything by not being in the public school (Kaylee is talking about a pre-approved program, it seems, but some parents make up their own curricula).pre-approved, yes. The kids have to pass standardized tests or otherwise prove that they're keeping up with their public school peers as well. There are usually homeschool associations within general regions where the parents and kids can associate with each other, the kids to get together and socialize, the parents to discuss homeschooling, ask advice, etc. this is all relevant - the program has several clubs and get-togethers for pupils and parents

Now whether any of that is relevant or not, I have no idea :-) Yep! =) Score points for teh kittehz!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this specific programme, do the kids work independently a lot?

Post Number: 6236
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this specific programme, do the kids work independently a lot?
More so in middle and high school grades than elementary school. When they're younger than 11, the Learning Coach (parent or other designated person) is more important to the learning process. But the teacher is still integral to the process, and they don't see their other classmates all the time.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the program online? Relevant?

Post Number: 6237
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the program online? YES! Relevant? VERY! =)
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your work done online? Could you work on your job while the boy works on his schoolwork nearby?

Post Number: 6238
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your work done online? Some Could you work on your job while the boy works on his schoolwork nearby? Quite easily =)

I think that's it, except for the name of the online school...should I $poil or do you want to guess?

Post Number: 6239
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I shouldn't have asked that...I'm too impatient right now to wait =P and it's pretty much solved anyway. Lol.

A few days ago, my honorary nephew, Keenan Blair Komenda was born. Between that and the pondering over the royal baby (HRH Prince George of Cambridge)'s potential godparents, it got me thinking of just who would take care of Keenan Blair if something ever happened to Cody and Colleen (and logically the rest of the family). I sincerely hope nothing ever makes it come to that, but if little KB should be orphaned or otherwise taken from his family and given to me, I'd feel a bit easier about it if he was older...

Being that I have seizures, stress is not a good thing for me, and dealing with an infant or toddler is more stress than I can handle. (One reason I'll probably never have my own kids.) Lately, I've seen a lot of ads for Connections Academy, on TV and the internet (mainly Facebook). Connections Academy is a "virtual school", not strictly homeschooling in the sense that the parent/guardian is not the teacher. The teacher is online and interacts with the student over the computer. The parent/guardian is the "Learning Coach", assisting the student by going over the teacher's lessons, homework and so on with the student. Connections Academy is free and provides all the necessary materials to the student. Up to four students per Learning Coach are permitted to enroll, and (in California at least), Connections Academy accepts students from kindergarten through 12th grade. In the Houston branch, students younger than 3rd graders can't apply (presumably the Houston area doesn't have K-2 teachers working for Connections Academy =( )

Connections Academy would be a good choice for KB even should Leenie and Cody be around to enroll him in it, I think; I have to check what grades the CA in their area has. But the range of languages, music and other activities besides the basics is a lot better than in most normal schools, I think. =) good job kalira, doriana and ciaobella kittehz!

***SPOILER***
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting thoughts. I'm not familiar with Connections Academy, but I went to a self-paced school for a while, so I'm open to alternative programs. You always have me Googling the most interesting things!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: