[hardcore] Poppeldink Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2013 » [hardcore] Poppeldink « Previous Next »

Hardcore (Hardcore)
Username: Hardcore

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poppledinks are annoying! I'm glad they don't happen often.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are poppledinks some kind of mishap? some task that you are required to do? some mistake you yourself make? something that annoys your senses (like for example an awful noise, or something scratching your skin)?

Are they single events? or is each poppledink a coincidence of several different occurrences?

Do poppledinks happen to only you? or to a whole group of other people as well? (I DO assume that you are not the only human to experience poppledinks, what I mean is do they happen to one person--such as losing your keys--or do they affect many--such as a traffic jam?)
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and if the answer to the last is "a group of people", would one be likely to hear of poppledinks when reading a newspaper?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are poppledinks some kind of mishap? Like a mistake? Yes.some task that you are required to do? No. some mistake you yourself make? Yope or yesish. something that annoys your senses (like for example an awful noise, or something scratching your skin)? No.

Are they single events? Yes. or is each poppledink a coincidence of several different occurrences? No.

Do poppledinks happen to only you? No. or to a whole group of other people as well? It can happen to anyone.(I DO assume that you are not the only human to experience poppledinks, what I mean is do they happen to one person--such as losing your keys--or do they affect many--such as a traffic jam?)

Oh, and if the answer to the last is "a group of people", would one be likely to hear of poppledinks when reading a newspaper? I hardly doubt it, but if it was, It would be hilarious!
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification: They can happen to anyone, but does each poppledink only affect a single person or many? See my statement in parentheses.

Does the mistake involve losing something? forgetting something? misplacing something? misunderstanding a statement made by someone else?

Are poppledinks most likely to happen at home? at work? while driving? while shopping?

Can a person experience a poppledink alone, i.e. while not interacting or communicating with any other people?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification: They can happen to anyone, but does each poppledink only affect a single person or many? This See my statement in parentheses.

Does the mistake involve losing something? forgetting something? misplacing something? misunderstanding a statement made by someone else? No... But misunderstanding is a word I would say is OTRT.

Are poppledinks most likely to happen at home? at work? while driving? Definitely not this while shopping? Any where that isn't a small, enclosed space like a car or port potty.}

Can a person experience a poppledink alone, i.e. while not interacting or communicating with any other people? No. This will make it impossible for a poppledink to happen.
Also, the title and the word in the puzzle are spelled differently. So don't get confused. The real spelling is the one in the puzzle.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When a poppledink happens, are you necessarily talking to other people? watching their actions? Must you be reacting to one or more of those people with actions of your own?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 4130
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are poppledinks a physical occurence? like a movement? or do they happen as a result of a movement?

can they be sensed with the eyes? hearing? smell? touch? taste?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, August 09, 2013 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When a poppledink happens, are you necessarily talking to other people? No. watching their actions? Yes, I am watching another persons actions, but not immediately. Must you be reacting to one or more of those people with actions of your own? Ughhhh... Brain... Hurts... Me no understand... Must... Have... Cheezeburgur... *shuts down and explodes dramatically... With kittehs*.

Are poppledinks a physical occurrence? Yes! like a movement? or do they happen as a result of a movement? This!!

can they be sensed with the eyes? hearing? smell? touch? taste? I dunno. Cannot really sense. Seeing I suppose?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4135
Posted on Friday, August 09, 2013 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you can't sense them, how do you know they've happened?

is it something that happens immediately after something else? an echo? a misuderstanding? a misinterpretation? laughter? a double-take?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you can't sense them, how do you know they've happened? you sense them by seeing them.

is it something that happens immediately after something else? This. an echo? a misuderstanding? This... a misinterpretation? Maybe this... laughter? a double-take? What's this?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a double-take is when you look at something and have already started to look away when you realise there's something absolutely amazing or shocking about what you've seen and look again. other LTPFers please step in and help!
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 737
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might call it a delayed reaction.
Watch some old Laurel & Hardy or Three Stooges & you will see it in action - it goes with slapstick a good deal. Somebody registers an action (usually by the comedian) then thinks "Wait a minute!" and looks again.
...which is pretty much what Shez said; I'm just giving some examples.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then no. No double take.

Nice questions! This is getting hard to answer!
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you misunderstand (or misinterpret) something that someone else does (and that you have just seen)? or, does the OTHER person misunderstand something YOU did? or, finally, does one of you misunderstand something that someone/something ELSE did?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it when someone says something funny or sarcstic and the other person takes them literally?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you misunderstand (or misinterpret) something that someone else does (and that you have just seen)? yesish. or, does the OTHER person misunderstand something YOU did? this to. or, finally, does one of you misunderstand something that someone/something ELSE did? no.

is it when someone says something funny or sarcstic and the other person takes them literally? no
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve the movement of other people's arms? Hands? Head? Torso? Legs? Feet?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve the movement of other people's arms? Hands? Head? Torso? Legs?this and... Feet? this.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you misinterpreting the direction that another person is walking? that he or she is kicking something (e.g. a soccer ball)?

Are both people walking? dancing? playing some sort of sport?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you misinterpreting the direction that another person is walking? Yes that he or she is kicking something (e.g. a soccer ball)?

Are both people walking? THIS! dancing? playing some sort of sport? no to rest. You are getting close! We are both walking! That is very important info!
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it when two people are walking in opposite directions, and each steps aside to let the other pass, yet both step to the SAME side? or when two people both step off a trail/road, thinking the other will pass?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it when two people are walking in opposite directions, and each steps aside to let the other pass, yet both step to the SAME side? You got it! I thought this would go longer! Oh well, guess it is time for a

**************SPOILER***************

Poppledink (N)
Defined: When 2 people walk down a narrow pathway from opposite directions when they see each other and move to one side of the path, only to find out they both went on the same side and they move to the other side until they figure it out.
Origin: Unknown

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: